Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HEAVY LIFTING  (Read 21634 times)

Donald

• So dramatic!
Re:HEAVY LIFTING
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2004, 11:20:41 AM »

Hey All!

The new Broadway Radio Show is up and running.  It went up later than usual, because I was at the Disney Concert Hall seeing Megan Mullally and Brian D'Arcy James with the LA Master Chorale singing the songs of Sondheim, Robert Jason Brown, Ricky Ian Gordon and Adam Guettal......very cool evening.....Megan and Brian were terrific.

Enjoy the radio show.....and can you spot the missing song?  We had a problem loading one of the tunes.  Oops! :-[
DONALD FELTHAM
Host of the Broadway Radio Show

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2004, 11:23:18 AM »

Does anyone have a good site for free ecards?  I usually use usagreetings, or yahoo greetings (although so many of theirs are now not free it's frustrating).

It's my best guy's birthday today (and even though I'm the ecard freak - i love to get them) I would like to find something new to send.

Thanks.

I've gone to www.hallmark.com and found some pretty fun ones...and they're free!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2004, 11:23:38 AM »

OH, my gosh, that is horrid JRand53! Why in the world would somebody do such a thing as that? Very scary and very sad.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2004, 11:26:03 AM »

My first musical to get produced, Through the Wardrobe, fits this category, as it was produced in England but nowhere else.

Years later, in writing a musical based on a Dickens novel, I became quite enamored of the British musical Pickwick, and I've long thought Oliver is the best show to come out of a country other than America.

But were we looking for songs that have never crossed to our shores?  Well, Noel Coward's Nina is very good.  I think I Wish I May from Witches of Eastwick (written by Americans) is very pretty.  That opening/title sequence to Windy City is wonderful ... the rest of the score can't live up to it, though.  I'm always amused by Opposites from Blitz.  And I can never remember which Newley/Bricusse show It's a Musical World comes from.  If it's The Good Old Bad Old Days, include that too.

(Vacation continues another 9 days.)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jennifer

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2004, 11:30:49 AM »

Re: Hallmark.com ecards, for some reason I have a very hard time viewing them.  I got a bunch for my birthday.  And I could not open one of them (and this has happened before). It's very frustrating.

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2004, 11:31:49 AM »

I used to love Americangreetings.com before they made you pay for the ecards.  They were my favorite. :(

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2004, 11:35:53 AM »

Sad and shocking news....Robert Lees, screenwriter of A/C MEET FRANKENSTEIN was murdered yesterday...  :'(

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/3415530/detail.html

Wow!  That's a very bizzarre story!  My hat's off, though, to the airline phone rep who got involved and called the police.  Quick thinking on his/her part.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2004, 11:40:48 AM »

I like the score to THE FIX, a musical about American politics, especially "Child's Play"and "Mistress of Deception."

I also really like MARTIN GUERRE  by Boubil & Schonberg.  My favorite songs there (although I like the whole score) are:  "Martin Guerre", "Tell Me to Go", and "Land of the Fathers."

Signature Theatre did The Fix a few seasons ago. Quite a good production.  Linda Balgord, Stephen Bienksie and Jim Walton were in it.

I saw the almost pre-Broadway tour of Martin Guerre at the Kennedy Center a few seasons back.  The show does have potential, unfortunately, that potential was not fulfilled at the time.  I really wanted to like the show - especially since two dear friends were playing Bertrande and Martin - but even their contributions could not save the burning village.  It also didn't help that the villain, Guillaume, was played by an actor with a very sibililant "s", lisp.  It got comical at times when it shouldn't have.  And his wig was atrocious too!

OK - I need to get off my butt-cheeks and get some more cleaning done around here...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2004, 11:46:45 AM »

You can find free e-cards at www.amazon.com.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ben

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2004, 11:48:38 AM »

JRand, if you haven't listened yet, there is a song from Martin Guerre in this week's radio show.

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2004, 11:49:02 AM »

BK, do you just take the photos into a regural film processing place? Do you have to have a negative made first?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2004, 11:55:08 AM »

I used to love Americangreetings.com before they made you pay for the ecards.  They were my favorite. :(

Jen, www.Bluemountain.com has some free cards, but most of them are on the lame side.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2004, 11:58:18 AM »

Amazon.com, okay I'll check that out.

Btw, who cuts off heads!???  Yuck! :(

MBarnum

« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2004, 11:58:39 AM »

High School Confidential releases on DVD this Tuesday! Mamie Van Doren and Russ Tamblyn together!

Jennifer

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2004, 12:00:27 PM »

I used to use bluemountain a lot too.  But I think almost all their cards are no longer free. :(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2004, 12:00:30 PM »

Thanks, BEN...I will check it out.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2004, 12:27:31 PM »

Hey All!

The new Broadway Radio Show is up and running.  It went up later than usual, because I was at the Disney Concert Hall seeing Megan Mullally and Brian D'Arcy James with the LA Master Chorale singing the songs of Sondheim, Robert Jason Brown, Ricky Ian Gordon and Adam Guettal......very cool evening.....Megan and Brian were terrific.

Enjoy the radio show.....and can you spot the missing song?  We had a problem loading one of the tunes.  Oops! :-[
uh-oh!  It's the Annointed Ones!  How horribly bad!  (But I won't tell if you don't!)

;D 8) ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2004, 12:30:55 PM »

Ann CONGRATULATIONS and WELCOME TO THE CLOUDS!

Bruce & MBarnum, we enjoyed HIGH AND LOW very much.

JRand, very shocking.  I hope they catch the crazy person who did such a thing.  Dan (the man) you are right about the airline person.  I know someone who was talking on the phone with a customer when she realized the woman was having a stroke.  Using her cell phone, while keeping the customer on the land line, she was able to call for help.  This story has a happy ending.

Where are the avatar’s?  Oh, there they are.  I had to log in before I could post. ???

Jane

« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2004, 12:37:07 PM »

I must be off as I still have much to do before I leave on Friday.  First I am going to be brave and comment on Flag Day.  Brave because you will know I’m not always a nice person.  Today would have been my sister’s birthday, the first since she passed away.  It feels very strange.  I should be feeling anything but what I am feeling, which is relief I don’t have to deal with her.  I suppose that is very sad indeed but I am in a very good mood.  
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 12:38:36 PM by Jane »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2004, 12:42:04 PM »

I don't have any stories to match Jason's...yet.  But I did have the flip-side to his story happen yesterday.

A young fellow came into the store, looking for a rolling pin without handles.  Bonnie, my co-worker, said "Oh, you mean a French rolling pin."  The fellow, who was about fifteen, was pleasantly surprised to find out that such a thing had a name.

It turned out that he wants to be a chef when he gets older.  Yes, he's already looking into various cooking schools for his training once he finishes high school.  I asked him if he's been reading cookbooks, which he has, but when he mentioned particularly enjoying Jamie Oliver, it became clear that he needed a push into more serious stuff.

So I took out my note pad (I always have a small pad in my shirt pocket) and suggested a couple of titles he might be interested in, starting with Alton Brown (if he knows Oliver, he should know Brown from television) and Brown's co-hort, Shirley Corriher, both of whom deal with kitchen science.  

He was very grateful.  It seems that the only job he might be able to get this summer in the cooking field is sweeping up in a bakery, but I told him that even that job could be a learning experience, as he'd get to watch close-up what others are doing.

And that's the sort of thing that makes working fun and interesting, being able to learn and pass on information.  I'd envy Jason his job...but I think I've got a pretty good one myself.

Now, if I could only get my hours increased somehow.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2004, 12:48:05 PM »

DRJASON....which show did the teacher choose?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2004, 12:49:07 PM »

And of course, when we get back our suggestion forms during the season asking for suggestions for shows at Putnam County Playhouse...in the barn theatre....my two favorite suggestions have been:

Black Beauty and Air Bud.

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2004, 12:53:03 PM »

Paige Davis to do Roxie on Today show:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/86795.html

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2004, 12:53:38 PM »

DR Jane, that doesn't make you a bad person! Just makes you human!

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2004, 12:56:20 PM »

DR Jane, you are always a nice person.

But how weird that your sister and cj had the same birthday!

Jane

« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2004, 01:01:16 PM »

Thaks Michael, and Jennifer I'm sorry, but I'm laughing.  That is interesting.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2004, 01:05:19 PM »

This particular place does the neg as part of the deal - no extra cost.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2004, 01:23:35 PM »

And of course, when we get back our suggestion forms during the season asking for suggestions for shows at Putnam County Playhouse...in the barn theatre....my two favorite suggestions have been:

Black Beauty and Air Bud.

That's absurd!  I think you should do Scary Movie, Scary Movie 2 and Scary Movie 3  in repertoire.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2004, 01:40:17 PM »

Well, without getting into specifics, I found SIX FEET UNDER to be searing drama last night. How a death affects the members' of one's immediate family has always been interesting to me, and I found the individual characters and how they acted and reacted mesmerizing. And it wasn't all dour. There were some moments of joy, some new (albeit small) rays of sunshine behind the clouds. But would it have rung true if everyone just hopped, skipped, and jumped their way through the days following the death?

This show deals with death on a weekly basis, and sometimes the deaths do intrude on the lives of the Fisher family and their loved ones. This was one time where the death not only intruded but consumed some of the family and served as a catalyst for others to do something about where they were in life.

Now, I've read from critics who were provided with the first four episodes of the season that the tone is definitely downbeat through at least those four screened episodes. But I honestly don't see how it could be any different given what happened and what people were doing to get through it in this premiere episode.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2004, 01:42:57 PM »

DR Jane, that doesn't make you a bad person! Just makes you human!

Exactly.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up