Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: A MONTH CALLED FEBRUARY  (Read 7761 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: A MONTH CALLED FEBRUARY
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2012, 11:58:02 AM »

Mr Donald Feltham,

FJL

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2012, 11:58:05 AM »

Page 3 LUCY WRITES AN OPERETTA dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8WVhmr7Kxk

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2012, 12:00:12 PM »

Good afternoon! I've been all over New York from Park Avenue & 23rd Street to Columbus Avenue and 68th Street. Now that I'm home, I've paid all of my current bills, and I am ready to hit the back with a big check. After that, I've got the a full score and a piano-vocal score to proof.

I need a nap.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2012, 12:01:59 PM »

I certainly enjoyed DR JANE's posts and photos yesterday....and DR TCB's comments about his trips.

All that talk about being sick in helicopters made me feel quite queasy.

I've only been in a helicopter once - in New York - but I didn't feel a bit airsick, despite being very quick to suffer from seasickness.

Funny then the talk is making you queasy ;)

Do you get airsick?  The ride was my idea & I booked it.  As the helicopter was taking off I thought what the heck am I doing I can't even look out the window of a plane?"

Jane

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2012, 12:03:38 PM »

It's woven copper, believe it or not, absolutely gorgeous.  It catches the light in all sorts of cool ways.  I haven't been drawn to an art object like this in years, maybe ever.

I bet it looks great in you house.  Does Betsy like it as much as you do?

Did anyone comment that you were suppose to be chaperoning, not shopping. ;)

Jane

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2012, 12:11:51 PM »

While listening to the Jonathan Schwartz on the 40's station I was once again baffled by his selection of music.  Billy Joe's SO IT GOES sung by Karrin Allyson is not 40's music.

It is very pretty.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuqIrb-PDhY

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2012, 12:17:07 PM »

A Very Happy Birthday to DR Kerry!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2012, 12:17:20 PM »

...AND...
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2012, 12:17:32 PM »

A Very Happy Birthday to Donald Feltham!! ;D

George

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2012, 12:21:23 PM »

And the word of the day is: IDONEOUS!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  MY IDEAL

DR ArnoldMBrockman, the song of the day should be a Victor Herbert one! It's his 153rd birthday today.

Well, then...A Very Happy Birthday to Victor Herbert!

:D

George

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2012, 12:26:49 PM »

Interesting video of Jane Russell and Dinah Shore singing "The Ladies Who Lunch" as a duet.

http://www.yourememberthat.com/media/3824/The_Ladies_Who_Lunch_by_Dinah_Shore_Jane_Russell/

That was..interesting. ::)

It's amazing that things like this still exist, though.

George

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2012, 12:30:20 PM »

This is the piece I purchased yesterday:

That's wonderful, Jeff.  Congrats!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2012, 12:40:45 PM »

While listening to the Jonathan Schwartz on the 40's station I was once again baffled by his selection of music.  Billy Joe's SO IT GOES sung by Karrin Allyson is not 40's music.

I Have Listened To Jonathan Schwartz For Many Years.New York Stations WNEW,WQEW,WNYC.
He Joined XM /SIRIUS A While Back and was not on Channel 4-40's Music But On The Siriusly Sinatra channel. On That Channel (especially On The Sunday Show) He played not only Sinatra But A Full Spectrum of Styles and Songs from The Great American Songbook  including Classical Musical Selections and Stand Up Comedy Routines. He is Very Eclectic and Very Knowledgeable.XM/Sirius Radio has somehow pigeon- holed him on The 40's Station. He Is Much More Than That.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2012, 12:44:07 PM »

Are you going to put a special light on it?  I can't tell where the color comes from.....is it paint or enamel or is it burned on?

I will assume this is directed at me and not new DR Victor Herbert.  ;)

We may get track lighting, but it really isn't necessary as there's quite a bit of natural light there.  I really can't tell you how she affixed the color to the copper.  I'm assuming it's metallurgically applied somehow, or perhaps copper can be fired to different hues.  It is woven out of copper and then those woven sheets are bent.  It's really an amazing piece.

And It Looks To Be Quite Beautiful

Doug R

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2012, 12:44:30 PM »

I certainly enjoyed DR JANE's posts and photos yesterday....and DR TCB's comments about his trips.

I've only been in a helicopter once - in New York - but I didn't feel a bit airsick, despite being very quick to suffer from seasickness.

Do you get airsick?  The ride was my idea & I booked it.  As the helicopter was taking off I thought what the heck am I doing I can't even look out the window of a plane?"

I don't like looking out of a plane window either, despite having done lots of flights. I always get an aisle seat and try to forget that I'm so high up in the sky. I don't suffer from airsickness although last year I felt slightly queasy on a flight due to severe turbulance with drinks being thrown around the cabin.

Jane

« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2012, 12:52:43 PM »

I Have Listened To Jonathan Schwartz For Many Years.New York Stations WNEW,WQEW,WNYC.
He Joined XM /SIRIUS A While Back and was not on Channel 4-40's Music But On The Siriusly Sinatra channel. On That Channel (especially On The Sunday Show) He played not only Sinatra But A Full Spectrum of Styles and Songs from The Great American Songbook  including Classical Musical Selections and Stand Up Comedy Routines. He is Very Eclectic and Very Knowledgeable.XM/Sirius Radio has somehow pigeon- holed him on The 40's Station. He Is Much More Than That.

His show should still be on the Sinatra/Jazz station or at least include an acknowledgement of the non 40's music or vocalist.

Laura

« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2012, 12:55:24 PM »

My neck is always stiff from turning to look out the plane window. Big commercial planes. Not those little private planes. I won't even get in another one of those again.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2012, 12:55:43 PM »

I don't like looking out of a plane window either, despite having done lots of flights. I always get an aisle seat and try to forget that I'm so high up in the sky. I don't suffer from airsickness although last year I felt slightly queasy on a flight due to severe turbulance with drinks being thrown around the cabin.

I like looking out the window for the view, it is my stomach that doesn't like it.  For several hours of our flight to Tahiti it was extremely rocky.  Fortunately we rocked side to side without any forward dips or drops.  While I didn't feel great it was fairly tolerable.  The flight home was nice an smooth.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2012, 12:58:56 PM »

DR FJL that is one of my favorite LUCY episodes.....including an exchange that fits in with some other posts today:

Ricky:  Lancelot....Dancelot....  Who wrote this?

Lucy:  Did you ever hear of Victor Herbert?

Ricky:  Yes.

Lucy:  All right then.

Of course it was written by....as Lucy said earlier:

Lucy:  We could save a lot of money if we wrote it.

Ethel:  Who is we?

Lucy:  We is Lucy Friml and Ethel Romberg!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2012, 02:11:01 PM »

Today is headache day.  I have mine.  How about you?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2012, 02:16:45 PM »

I get this song title mixed up "It Goes Like It Goes" which one the Oscar for Best Song of the year in 1979  David Shire/Norman Gimbel (Norma Rae)
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2012, 02:17:38 PM »

Today is headache day.  I have mine.  How about you?

I was fighting one this morning but am fine now.  I hope you feel better soon.

Michael

« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2012, 02:20:28 PM »

ASK Bk

Where did you find the all the singers for Unsung Irving Berlin and how did you decided who got what song?

Also
Whatever happened to Billy Waring? Wasn't he living with Guy Haines at one point? :-)
Never stop dreaming.

Laura

« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2012, 02:31:45 PM »

I hope your headache goes away soon, JRand.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2012, 02:34:06 PM »

DR Laura when did Mr. Goldstein call you?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2012, 02:35:31 PM »

TOD:  You are going to make STUDIO cast albums of a Rodgers and Hammerstein show, a Jerry Herman show, and a Sondheim show (Sondheim in any capacity: music and lyrics or just lyrics).

Which three shows would you choose, and who would your casts be for each show?

R&H would be Flower Drum Song, although it would be hard to beat the original.  But for whatever reason, it's my favorite R&H score.  And I was very pleased with The King and I we did. 

Jerry Herman - none.

Sondheim - oh, Follies, I suppose - just would want my little shot at it.  If it were just a recording cast, I'm not sure who I'd go with but it wouldn't be anyone who was in the recent revival.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2012, 02:37:06 PM »

ASK Bk

Where did you find the all the singers for Unsung Irving Berlin and how did you decided who got what song?

Also
Whatever happened to Billy Waring? Wasn't he living with Guy Haines at one point? :-)

All this is in the new book.  I don't really go into the why I chose who for what song - that's just ephemera really.  I just had instincts and went with him.  The Billy Waring story is told, however.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2012, 02:38:27 PM »

I do not like Jonathan Schwartz and here's why: I once went into Footlight Records in the late 1990s and there was Mr. Schwartz selling SEALED promos we and other labels had sent him.  SEALED, as in unopened and unplayed.  He's been on my merde list ever since.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2012, 02:39:57 PM »

I was up at eight and doing things, then had to be on my way to my appointment, then had to do a bunch of errands and whatnot, then picked up no packages - once again ONTRAC is going to obviously deliver what they have to deliver late this afternoon, but unlike yesterday, I'm in for the rest of the day and it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2012, 02:43:37 PM »

I do not like Jonathan Schwartz and here's why: I once went into Footlight Records in the late 1990s and there was Mr. Schwartz selling SEALED promos we and other labels had sent him.  SEALED, as in unopened and unplayed.  He's been on my merde list ever since.

Not cool at all!  When I listen to him I always wish I was listening to DR Ben's voice instead.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up