News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WELL!  (Read 7765 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: WELL!
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2012, 09:41:47 AM »

From DR Jose:
As for springform pans and cheesecakes...

After reading Nick Malgieri's book on cakes a few years ago, I just started making my cheesecakes in extra-deep cake pans - which, as it turns out, are called "cheesecake pans". If you cook and cool them far enough in advance, it's very easy to turn them out - and you don't ha to worry about water seeping into the (springform pan).

Water in the pan?????

Jane

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2012, 09:46:22 AM »

DR Edi,

Jane

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2012, 09:51:36 AM »

Yesterday DR George wrote:
Can you buy one from someplace like Costco?  They have large cheesecakes and they're very reasonably priced...if you have a Costco near you AND you have a membership.

Yesterday DR Jane wrote:
Granted I have never tasted a Costco cheesecake I find the thought of purchasing one from them unappealing, plus DR Jennifer likes to bake.

I do have a Costco only 5 minutes away. And i do have a membership. And i have actually tasted their cakes before. They do actually make some different stuff. And it is very reasonably priced.

But DR Jane is right. I would not bring something that is bought. I want to make it.  Anyhow i'm going to try a peanut butter/cream cheese pie. It has chocolate drizzled on the top. And oreo cookie crumbs as the base (i like all those things i named). It also has some dessert topping mixed in (i guess to give it some height).  Hopefully it will be good.

Keith would love it.  While I am a big fan of peanut butter I don't always like it mixed in other ingredients.  It sounds like the pie should be a hit.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2012, 09:51:55 AM »

I'm up.  I've e-mailed to find out why the new Filichia isn't up.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2012, 10:02:46 AM »

Filichia's new column has been up since eight this morning, my time.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2012, 10:19:54 AM »

Just read Filicha on Friday. It's been a long time since I read Gar Kanin's "Smash." Made me wish I had not given the book away all those years ago.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2012, 11:09:48 AM »

A Very Happy Birthday to DR Edisaurus!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2012, 11:19:03 AM »

Yesterday DR George wrote:
Can you buy one from someplace like Costco?  They have large cheesecakes and they're very reasonably priced...if you have a Costco near you AND you have a membership.

Yesterday DR Jane wrote:
Granted I have never tasted a Costco cheesecake I find the thought of purchasing one from them unappealing, plus DR Jennifer likes to bake.

I do have a Costco only 5 minutes away. And i do have a membership. And i have actually tasted their cakes before. They do actually make some different stuff. And it is very reasonably priced.

But DR Jane is right. I would not bring something that is bought. I want to make it.  Anyhow i'm going to try a peanut butter/cream cheese pie. It has chocolate drizzled on the top. And oreo cookie crumbs as the base (i like all those things i named). It also has some dessert topping mixed in (i guess to give it some height).  Hopefully it will be good.

So, Jennifer...you will be sharing the recipe, won't you??

:D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2012, 11:34:03 AM »

From DR Jose:

After reading Nick Malgieri's book on cakes a few years ago, I just started making my cheesecakes in extra-deep cake pans - which, as it turns out, are called "cheesecake pans". If you cook and cool them far enough in advance, it's very easy to turn them out - and you don't ha to worry about water seeping into the (springform pan).

Water in the pan?

????

Some folks cook their cheesecake like flan...in a pan of water.  This allows for a uniformity of cooking.  (The pan holding the cheesecake is set into the water.  A springform might leak if there isn't a proper fit/seal such as might be the case with a much-used one with dents).

None of my recipes call for this, but they do recommend the springform pan.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:36:07 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DR Iris

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2012, 11:41:52 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Edisaurus!

Cillaliz

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2012, 12:15:27 PM »

Happy Birthday DR Edi!!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2012, 12:15:48 PM »

Good day, so far.

DR Dan(theMan), I have HBO, so I think the ghosts want something else.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2012, 12:58:07 PM »

I am at home this afternoon.   It's been raining and looks like we'll miss the snow storm that's coming up.  I would like to get tons of snow, but not likely.   Anyway, we've been really busy, I was tired, and at some point the rain is supposed to turn to freezing rain, I decided that was a good reason to come home.   I did bring a lot of work and I have to get a major project done this weekend, but it doesn't ahve to be done today so I'm relaxing

Cillaliz

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2012, 12:58:23 PM »

Rain in February.  Bizarre.

John G.

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2012, 01:15:54 PM »

From DR Jose:

Water in the pan?

????

Some folks cook their cheesecake like flan...in a pan of water.  This allows for a uniformity of cooking.  (The pan holding the cheesecake is set into the water.  A springform might leak if there isn't a proper fit/seal such as might be the case with a much-used one with dents).

I do a bain marie, or water bath, to cook my flourless chocolate cake in. And I've always wrapped foil tightly around the springform to prevent the boiling water from getting in.

This conversation is making me hungry!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2012, 02:08:33 PM »

From DR Jose:

Water in the pan?

????

Thanks for explaining the water.  I once read to put a pan of water into the oven, on the rack under the cake, to prevent cracking.  It didn't work.

Doug R

« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2012, 02:20:47 PM »

Just got Tom Rubython's biography of Richard Burton "And God Created Burton".  At 800 pages it's certainly weighty.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2012, 02:24:33 PM »

TOD:

THE SONG OF LUNCH
LUTHER, Seasons 1 & 2
You can dream…or you can do.

Ginny

« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2012, 03:05:11 PM »

There is great techno-stress in our household.  The only device that can pick up a wireless connection from our AirPort is my MacBook - neither iPhone nor Richard's MacBook nor iPad will connect.  So we made a Genius Bar appointment, packed up all the hardware, and drove to the Apple Store.  Of course, everything worked perfectly there and all the devices can pick up other wireless networks.  But, back here at home, only my laptop.  Next step is to call AppleCare and Richard has decided to forget it for tonight.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2012, 03:25:27 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm up, I'm up... And I played 180 auditions today.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2012, 03:26:26 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR EDISAURUS!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2012, 03:26:35 PM »

...And I'm a bit tired now.

And hungry.

I'll check back in after dinner.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2012, 03:51:23 PM »

Actually, BK, if your show on Sunday is at 8:00 p.m.; it should be after the Super Bowl.  The game is scheduled to kick-off at 3:30 PST; and even allowing for the extended half-time show with Madonna, I would think that the Super Bowl should end by 7:00 or 7:30.  Now, whether some people might be too drunk to attend the show after watching the Super Bowl is an entirely different story.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2012, 04:17:43 PM »

Quittin' time!

It's quittin' time!

Oh, joy!

Oh, rapture!

The weekend looms!

And Beckons!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2012, 04:27:41 PM »

:) Ron.

John G.

« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2012, 04:40:18 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm up, I'm up... And I played 180 auditions today.
Did any of them know what they were doing?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2012, 04:41:14 PM »

Page three only?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2012, 04:41:25 PM »

Where is everybody?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2012, 04:42:17 PM »

I have too much housework to do tonight. Cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. I don't want to come home next week from the hospital to a messy house. I'd never get any rest.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2012, 04:42:27 PM »

One more.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up