Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ENIGMA VARIATIONS  (Read 22375 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ENIGMA VARIATIONS
« on: June 16, 2004, 12:01:14 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're enigmad out, and now you are ready to post your excellent posts and questions.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 12:03:48 AM by bk »

BEEKAY

• I guess we aren't in Kansas anymore!
Re:ENIGMA VARIATIONS
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 03:35:59 AM »

Done it again!
Friend of Dorothy and all that stuff!

Ben

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 04:56:07 AM »

Hmmm, what a quiet morning at HHW. One post from the lovely BeeKay and his adorable doggie in three hours?

That picture from the Cinegrill seems to have Guy Haine's mother or sister or daughter or aunt or niece (someone of the female persuasion) hiding behind a menu? Sandra, does your mother wish not to be photographed? Even in dim light?

JRand, careful if you get that apartment on East 57th Street. You might want to call the broker and have him proofread his contracts. If the description is any indication, there could be typos that would end up costing you money. See below, taken from the actual description.

Great for a family because their is 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. Windowed kitcen with great sunsets. For more information call William at 212-XXX-XXXX Ext. XX.

Kerry, glad to see you even if it's late at night. Though it's not late at night for you and I'm actually reading the post early in the morning. Is that too confusing???

Ben

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 05:02:17 AM »

Dan-the-Man, only 3 more to go (it's actually the 501 post that makes you float up). We will have an ascension this morning, methinks.

While we approach our own posting high of 50,000, Mr. BK is approaching his "Personal Best" (a Robert Towne reference). With a mere 43 posts he will have (on this current board incarnation anyway) 5000 posts! Oh, my. That's impressive.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 06:12:06 AM »

Where the hell is everyone?

For ask BK Day---
Since you are friends with Harvey Schmidt, you might be able to answer this.  Tom Jones has written the book and lyrics for a musical version of HAROLD AND MAUDE that is playing at Papermill in January.  Is this just a temporary split of the Jones and Schmidt partnership or have we heard the last new material by them as a team?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 06:58:25 AM »

Can anyone else see that picture from last night?  All I see is black. :(

Jennifer

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 07:00:57 AM »

Sacramento Music Circus Summer Season (including Juliana Hansen in Wizard of Oz):

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/86812.html

Jennifer

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 07:03:32 AM »

Hunter Foster to play Leo in PRODUCERS:
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/86808.html

Judy Kuhn to star in LaChiusa's new musical, The Highest Yellow:
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/86809.html

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 07:09:48 AM »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 07:21:03 AM »

Alyson Reed as a back-up singer to Jason Graae.  

My, how the mighty(ish) have fallen.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 07:23:05 AM »

Last night DR Jason wrote: ". I have a roach in my apartment. I swear to the god of household pests, I don't know if I can take much more. First it was mice, and now I've got a roach!! And it's two inches long...at least. I saw it last night and then it disappeared, but I saw it again tonight and I so desperately want to kill it and be done. This is only the second time in the two years I've lived in this apartment that I've seen a roach...it had better not indicate future problems. "

I feel for you. Here in the deep South (a 1776 reference), we have HUGE roaches that go by a variety of names: palmetto bugs, flying roaches, tree roaches. Whatever you call them, they find a way into your home no matter how clean you keep it. I have found three things do a wonderful job at killing them once they arrive. I bought some really odorless but powerful bug spray at Target called BUG STOP made by Spectracide. I spray this along the edges of the floor and walls. Supposedly one application lasts for months.

On the kitchen counter tops (and on the kitchen floor when I spill something), I clean with an all purpose cleaner with bleach in it. It does smell of bleach, but for some reason, the bleach reacts badly with the roaches' insides.

Finally, at the backs of my kitchen counters in small cracks I plug them with a brownish paste ROACH KILLER GEL.

None of these products keeps the roaches out of my house, but when they're here, they inevitably don't stay alive long with these preventatives. I do find them on their backs with their little legs up in the air when I get up in the morning.

Sorry to talk about such a gross subject, but I hate the things, too, and want to share my battle equipment with others in peril.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2004, 07:29:37 AM »

Looking forward to another few episodes of MONK this afternoon. Tonight, maybe THE DAMNED. Haven't decided yet.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2004, 07:46:23 AM »

Dear Readers:

[Keeping in step with the enigmatic theme of the day, this message was posted using invisible pixels, lest top secret content fall into the wrong hands.]
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2004, 07:56:57 AM »

Where in tarnation is everyone?  There is only about half as many posts as usual at this time of the morning.  Perhaps everyone is waiting to post until after Dan the Man's ascension.

For Ask BK Day:  I am curious about the possibility of Guy Haines appearing at the Cinegrill.  Would these performances be done without benefit of stage lights?  Would there be a curtain involved?  Or perhaps, will Mr. Haines wait until Halloween night, so that he can perform in costume?  

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jay

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2004, 08:06:51 AM »

Gee, if Mr. Haines was present at the Cinegrill, why didn't you take his picture and post it here?  Based on the photo of Dear Reader Sandra, it appears that the lighting conditions would have been perfect!

Jay

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2004, 08:24:58 AM »

I was at Walt Disney Concert Hall last night, Dear Readers, for a repeat performance of the concert that Dear Reader Donald saw on Sunday by the Los Angeles Master Chorale.  The program included pieces by Dear BK's good friend Mr. Stephen Sondheim, Mr. Jason Robert Brown, Mr. Ricky Ian Gordon and Mr. Adam Guettel.  

Miss Megan Mullally and Mr. Brian d'Arcy James were the featured guest performers; Mr. Gordon provided piano accompaniment for several of his songs and Mr. Brown played piano and sang several of his numbers, as well.  Neither Mr. Sondheim nor Mr. Guettel were present.

The concert came off as a big blah, in my humble opinion.  First off, the amplification, which the fine people at WDCH have yet to get right at the hall, rendered most of the solo-performed lyrics unintelligible, thereby zapping to considerable degree the potential impact of what was sung.  Songs out of context, several puzzling selections, and poor matching of talent to music here and there (Mr. James would make a fine Jamie in The Last 5 Years, from which he sang "Shiksa Goddess," but he was also put up to the task, not very successfully, of "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd") made for a very disjointed program.

Mr. Brown and Mr. Gordon appeared in a brief discussion that preceded the concert.  Mr. Brown displayed a wicked and dry sense of humor, and had some very unkind things to say about the business side of Broadway today.  A glimmer of humility was revealed when he acknowledged that Parade was not quite the great work of art for the stage that Sweeney Todd is.  Mr. Gordon came off as a highly energetic and witty sort of fellow.  Sort of a gay Jewish leprechaun, which I say with only the most positive of intent.

Jay

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2004, 08:34:07 AM »

Thank goodness they never heard of E-Bay!

From the New York Times:

Library Given a Collection of the Makings of Hit Musicals

The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts has received a gift of thousands of pages of scripts, songs and other pieces of stage memorabilia from two of Broadway's best-known musical teams: Kander and Ebb, and Bock and Harnick. The donation, ranging from scraps of pure inspiration to less successful discards, gives a glimpse of the sometimes delightful, sometimes devilish backstage grind that went into making classic musicals like "Cabaret" and "Fiddler on the Roof."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/16/theater/newsandfeatures/16XDONA.html

Jay

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2004, 08:35:47 AM »

Look, I am trying to get us to page 2 here, but I cannot do it alone.  (Oh!  A Kander and Ebb reference.  What a coinky-dink!)

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2004, 08:41:27 AM »

At this rate I don't ever think we will make it to Page Two. :(

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2004, 08:44:44 AM »

I know the Library of the Performing Arts only allows those with proper credentials to view the tapes in their videotape collection archives, but can any Joe Schmoe off the street use the library to do research or recreational reading? I ask because I've never been in this facility, and if it's open to the public would love to wander around in there this summer when I come to NYC for a visit.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2004, 08:58:22 AM »

Good Morning. Here's my bit in getting us on the long and winding road to Page Two. Last night, at the Pinot Bistro, I had the best French Onion Soup I have ever had in my life. And my life has been relatively long and has had quite a bit of French Onion Soup in it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2004, 09:04:22 AM »

Wednesday.  Roach day here at HHW.   I have only seen a few roaches in my lifetime - and I hope never to see one again.

Interesting articles to read.  Alyson Reed singing with Jason Graae...did he do his Teen-Monster-Medley?

Who has the enigma machine.  Is it wrapped inside a riddle?

My question for Ask BK day....what was the first book you bought and stood in line to have signed by the author?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2004, 09:17:21 AM »

I have never seen a roach in person, only in pictures and only in the movies (another Kander and Ebb reference).  Also, I've never had French onion soup, and I don't intend to.  It just looks too icky for me...and I don't like cooked onions at all (but I'm glad that you had the best French onion soup of your life, Panni).  On to page two!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2004, 09:18:13 AM »

Um, can we have roach spoiler alerts at the top of any message containing roach info.

It's creeping me out and making me sick! :)

Jennifer

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2004, 09:21:14 AM »

That was weird.  My smiley looked like a big red X.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2004, 09:23:12 AM »

Where the hell is everyone?

For ask BK Day---
Since you are friends with Harvey Schmidt, you might be able to answer this.  Tom Jones has written the book and lyrics for a musical version of HAROLD AND MAUDE that is playing at Papermill in January.  Is this just a temporary split of the Jones and Schmidt partnership or have we heard the last new material by them as a team?

Answered this the other day when it was asked: They have not split - Harvey gave his blessing.  Harvey is in Texas doing lots of stuff he's been wanting to do for years, and is happy as a clam.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 09:35:22 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2004, 09:26:08 AM »

Someone just sent me this. I rarely open these things, but I know the sender is politically savy and wouldn't send on anything lame, so I took a look. It's good (as in funny good).

http://users.chartertn.net/tonytemplin/FBI_eyes/

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2004, 09:28:26 AM »

My question for Ask BK day....what was the first book you bought and stood in line to have signed by the author?

I remember the first book I bought and got signed by the author, because I had to take a half day off from high school to do it.  The book was Phyllis Diller's Housekeeping Hints and the author's name was....... Bert Convey.  No, seriously I got to meet Phyllis Diller and talk to her while she autogrphed her book for everyone in line.  This must have been in 1967 or 68, and at the time I thought she was the funniest woman in show business.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2004, 09:29:04 AM »

Where in tarnation is everyone?  There is only about half as many posts as usual at this time of the morning.  Perhaps everyone is waiting to post until after Dan the Man's ascension.

For Ask BK Day:  I am curious about the possibility of Guy Haines appearing at the Cinegrill.  Would these performances be done without benefit of stage lights?  Would there be a curtain involved?  Or perhaps, will Mr. Haines wait until Halloween night, so that he can perform in costume?  

No, Guy would be there, singing his heart out for all to see, or so he said.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2004, 09:30:26 AM »

Gee, if Mr. Haines was present at the Cinegrill, why didn't you take his picture and post it here?  Based on the photo of Dear Reader Sandra, it appears that the lighting conditions would have been perfect!

He wasn't there, I called him on my handy-dandy cell phone.  And yes, that's dear reader Laura hiding behind the menu - she doesn't like to have her photo taken.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up