Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ENIGMA VARIATIONS  (Read 22373 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:ENIGMA VARIATIONS
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2004, 09:31:56 AM »

What is it, Dear BK, that makes clams so happy?  If I were a bi-valve that spent my life buried in sand, I don't think I would be so happy.  Tell us, Dear BK.  Or is it an enigma?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2004, 09:32:17 AM »

And one for Mahler! Finally.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2004, 09:34:10 AM »

Interesting articles to read.  Alyson Reed singing with Jason Graae...did he do his Teen-Monster-Medley?

My question for Ask BK day....what was the first book you bought and stood in line to have signed by the author?

Alyson and Susanne are just having a lark.  He did not do the medley, and in fact hasn't even heard it since we recorded it.  I rectified that situation last night and gave him a CD.

I honestly don't know that I remember what the first book I bought and stood in line for a signing was.  Nothing major, probably a mystery of some sort.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2004, 09:36:27 AM »

And yes, where in tarnation IS everyone?  It's been like this the whole week (well, that's only two days, of course).  We've got us a landmark to reach, don't you know.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2004, 09:37:56 AM »

I'm working away from home and using Brad W's computer. I don't have much to say, but I felt a bit like a voyeur before logging in, and now that I'm logged I feel that I should be in for the count.

This may be too personal a question of the day (and a lame one), but how many HHW passwords are showbiz-based. (Mine is.)

I didn't think I was such a big Phyllis Diller fan until I saw her perform at a benefit about three years ago. She was hilarious, and what a trouper! She made it a point to work Toronto references into her gags. The benefit was at the respectable but nothing-special Constellation Hotel on the Airport Strip. Phyllis Diller was booked overnight at the posher Four Seasons - but she told the promoter that she wanted to stay at the Constellation - where everyone else on the program (dancers, backup people) was booked.

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2004, 09:49:32 AM »

Love French Onion Soup!

Had many, many roaches in an old apartment building I lived in on Summer Street. It was built in the 1920s and had roaches galore. The sprayed for them frequently but they never died!

My first book signing, I think, was Gloria Stuart's book. She was adorable and very funny!

All or my passwords are show biz related I think! At least in a way.

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2004, 09:50:21 AM »

I would love to meet Phyllis Diller! I always have liked her!

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2004, 09:51:17 AM »

Peggy McKay and Gary Conway were on 77 Sunset Strip last night. Just thought I would share!

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2004, 09:51:56 AM »

I am a frenzy of posting as I am bored and sleepy and wish to be anywhere but where I am..which is at work!

It is just too nice of a day out!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2004, 09:53:50 AM »

My favorite Phyllis Diller line is the one that boils down to its essence what it takes for a marriage to be successful:

Never go to bed angry.  Stay up and fight!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2004, 09:55:45 AM »

Gary Conway was a hottie in his day!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2004, 09:58:38 AM »

I know the Library of the Performing Arts only allows those with proper credentials to view the tapes in their videotape collection archives, but can any Joe Schmoe off the street use the library to do research or recreational reading? I ask because I've never been in this facility, and if it's open to the public would love to wander around in there this summer when I come to NYC for a visit.

Yes.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2004, 09:59:05 AM »

Good Afternoon!

-I've always wondered about the word "enigma"...  Is it not an anagram of "imagine".   Hmmm...

*Modify:  Ummm... Never mind... Maybe an anagram of "i enigma"... Ah, well.. close but no cigar.

I did not intend to wuss out last night, but, alas, I did.  However, even though I actually made it to bed before 4:00am last night, I still didn't drag myself out of bed until right before Noon.  And now I have to rush... Well, I have to get ready for...  Um... Well... *I'm still getting used to this whole between gigs/vacation/much needed rest thingy.

Question for Ask BK:

Do you like halvah?  If so, do you prefer plain, vanilla, chocolate, marble, pistachio, chocolate-covered, etc.?

Do you like Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray Soda?

(Yes, I had dinner at the deli last night.)

-I'll try to come up with a non-food related question as the day goes on...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 10:02:19 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2004, 09:59:58 AM »

Early in my days of computer passwords I had one that I used for everything and it was theatre-based but now I use the preferred mix of numbers and letters (or letters and numbers or number, letter, letter, number, letter, etc. etc. etc.).

I don't remember the very first book I purchased for which I desired an accompanying autograph, but I do remember here in NYC when A Different Light Bookstore still existed on 19th Street (between 6th and 7th Avenue after they moved uptown from Hudson Street in the Village). I bought Greg Louganis' autobiography and waited with the hundreds of people winding down the block and around the corner for him to sign the book. It was a cold winter evening but it was a nice experience.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2004, 10:02:21 AM »

I've never been to a book signing, but I have had several things signed in person.  I've also bought things on-line and was able to have them signed.  

And only one of my passwords is theater related.  Otherwise, I try to make random patterns on the keyboard so that I don't usually remember what letters/numbers I used, just the pattern.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2004, 10:04:50 AM »

When I first read the word "enigma" in today's notes, I wasn't paying attention and didn't actually read it correctly.  I didn't see the letter "g."  It gives a whole new (although misspelled) meaning to the topic of the day!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2004, 10:17:06 AM »

I don't remember the very first book I purchased for which I desired an accompanying autograph, but I do remember here in NYC when A Different Light Bookstore still existed on 19th Street (between 6th and 7th Avenue after they moved uptown from Hudson Street in the Village). I bought Greg Louganis' autobiography and waited with the hundreds of people winding down the block and around the corner for him to sign the book. It was a cold winter evening but it was a nice experience.

I also stood in line for Mr. Louganis when he came to DC.  He did two signings in the area, one downtown and one out in the burbs.  I went to the one in the burbs which turned out to be a good thing since the one downtown was held at Lambda Rising and it rained for most of the day - and the line was outside.  I waited at Border's, inside a mall - nice and dry - of course, it didn't rain that day.  I also remember calling in "sick" to my afternoon job in order to go to the signing.  And I also remember it took a LONG time to get into the store.  I think I stood in line at least five if not six hours - hmm, maybe even seven.  I do remember that the main part of the mall had even closed up while people were still standing in line.  *Apparently, the line was much longer than expected, and there were also a lot of people who gave up standing in the rain the day before who had come to this signing.  I think I got through almost all of the book while waiting.

Oh... and funny how this all comes back to me now... There were lots of "warnings" posted about not bringing any souvenirs to be signed, about how Mr. Louganis would not pose for pictures with anyone, how personalizations would not be possible, etc...  However, it seemed that Mr. Louganis was not obeying Border's rules - which is also why the line was moving a bit slower than anticipated.  However, once in eye-shot, it was very nice seeing him take time with everyone who came up to the table.  There happened to be a lot of high school divers in line, and he was more than happy to take a few extra seconds to talk shop and to take pictures with them.  Once I got up to the table, I remember thanking him for his bravery and his example.

I don't think I've waited in line for any other author... Oh, there was also Tyler Florence from the FoodTV.  Otherwise, if I'm waiting for an autograph, it's at a stage door.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2004, 10:22:58 AM »

And only one of my passwords is theater related.  Otherwise, I try to make random patterns on the keyboard so that I don't usually remember what letters/numbers I used, just the pattern.

This sounds so confusing.

How do you remember the pattern?

Can you give me an example of the kind of pattern you mean (without giving away one of your actual passwords)?

Sounds very elaborate!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2004, 10:30:05 AM »

Sort of a gay Jewish leprechaun, which I say with only the most positive of intent.
The world needs more of them, IMHO.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2004, 10:32:27 AM »

I love French Onion soup, halvah, and Cel-ray tonic. How about you?

As for book signings. If you'll allow me to plug my friend Steve Kluger's terrific new book, he'll be signing it in Los Angeles on June 23rd.

Wednesday, June 23

ALMOST LIKE BEING IN LOVE
Author Steve Kluger reads from and signs his new novel, an engrossing, often laugh-out-loud tale of two unlikely lovers, high school jock Craig McKenna and Broadway musical-obsessed Travis Puckett. 7:30. A Different Light, 8853 Santa Monica Blvd. WeHo. Info: 310-854-6601

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2004, 10:37:41 AM »

What is halvah?

Jason

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2004, 10:39:52 AM »

It's a crazy day at MTI...moving people into different office spaces and packing up others. Craziness, I tell you.

Thanks for all of the roach stories. I just wish I could get rid of the one I've got. I'd love nothing more than to kill the sonofabitch just to know that it's dead. I know they say that where there's one roach there are more roaches, and I know I can get messy sometimes, but really--this is only the second time I've ever seen one in my apartment. I hope that means it was just a stray that happened upon my room. Still, I want it dead.

I'm having a fat day today. I've been working so hard to lose weight and to tone up, but the more I look at myself in the mirror, the more I feel like I've made no progress. I know that's ridiculous, of course...my clothes fit better and others have said they've noticed a difference, but it's very frustrating because I can't notice the difference. Makes me what to chuck the whole thing and eat some Dippin' Dots and have a pizza. Followed by a Snickers bar. Chased by a 2-liter of Cherry Coke. I don't know why I'm sharing this with you all, but there you have it.

Has anyone picked up the New Broadway Cast Recording of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF?

I leave for Chicago in eight days. Huzzah!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2004, 10:40:41 AM »

My question for Ask BK day....what was the first book you bought and stood in line to have signed by the author?
I believe we were in San Diego at the time, at a Log Cabin convention.  One of the speakers at one of the luncheons was the author of a book about gay genetic theories.  It was the first book I've ever had signed by the author, and started our tradition of having the books signed for both myself and der Brucer.

(I have resigned myself to the fact that der Brucer is not, and probably never will be, as careful about having books signed to both of us.)

As I was writing this response, the doorbell has rung.  Our postperson was there, and handed me a large envelope which contained a copy of Alton Brown's Gear for Your Kitchen, which I won at another website.  And, a quick check revealed, it has been signed by the author!  Pure coincidence on the timing, but wonderful all the same!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2004, 10:43:38 AM »

For Ask BK Day:  I am curious about the possibility of Guy Haines appearing at the Cinegrill.  Would these performances be done without benefit of stage lights?  Would there be a curtain involved?  Or perhaps, will Mr. Haines wait until Halloween night, so that he can perform in costume?  
If the lights are low enough, would Mr. Haines agree to perform a medley from Mr. Kimmel's First Nudie Musical?

George

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2004, 10:46:17 AM »

This sounds so confusing.

How do you remember the pattern?

Can you give me an example of the kind of pattern you mean (without giving away one of your actual passwords)?

Sounds very elaborate!

Actually, it's not very elaborate, at all.  This isn't an actual password that I've used, but type out "qazsedc" and that's the sort of thing that I do.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 10:46:38 AM by George »

Ben

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2004, 10:51:36 AM »

I haven't picked it up yet (part of me wants it and part of me says, HOW MANY CDs DO YOU NEED YOUNG MAN - actually I think that's Anthony saying that to me) but I was in Footlight yesterday and they were playing it. It sounds OK but not great (from what I heard) but I would still like to have it so I have a recording of the new song and the dialouge bits, etc. I may end up breaking down (what a picture) and buying it anyway.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2004, 10:52:31 AM »

Oh my, I also stood in line to ask Mr Louganis to sign his book....which was not as good as I thought it would be...but it was a book!

It was his second signing of the day, and I was there with another cast member from JEFFREY and we had rehearsal that night.  As it became clear that not EVERYONE would be able to meet the "author", someone came along the line and asked us all to put our name and address on a mailing label.  A few weeks later, I got a bookplate signed by Mr Louganis, which I pasted inside my book.

My friend John Baughman is president of the International Phyllis Diller Fan Club - and I met her through him.  She does a great show and even plays some classical type tunes on the piano.  A bit fragile now, but very funny - still.  She still wears her clothes by Omar of Omaha!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2004, 10:53:23 AM »

My password has to do with my favorite author.

I will probably pass on the new FIDDLER CD.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2004, 10:53:50 AM »

...but I do remember here in NYC when A Different Light Bookstore still existed on 19th Street (between 6th and 7th Avenue after they moved uptown from Hudson Street in the Village). ...
Ah, now you're bringing back memories for me, of the original A Different Light bookstore in the Silverlake section of Los Angeles, on Sunset Boulevard.  It started out as a single storefront, and then was later expanded to include the shop next door.  Then they got even bigger, moving to the Santa Monica Blvd. location in West Hollywood and setting up shops in San Francisco and NYC.  It wasn't the same, somehow, as the original store had this very friendly "it belongs to us" feel to it; the later stores felt more like "you belong to us, so give us your money."

*Sigh*

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2004, 10:59:44 AM »

D-i-T  I had no idea that Steve Kluger was a friend of yours.  I have been reading about the book on Insight Out Book Club.  I tried to get a copy from the local library, but they currently have no copies available.  Didn’t he write that play about the Titanic, THE PILOTS OF THE PURPLE SUNSET, or something like that?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up