Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ENIGMA VARIATIONS  (Read 22374 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:ENIGMA VARIATIONS
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2004, 11:00:46 AM »

I also stood in line for Mr. Louganis when he came to DC.

Ages ago I was asked to do the TV-movie adaptation of his book. Unfortunately, at the time I was doing another project (maybe two?) for the same network, so they wouldn't allow the producers to hire me for fear I'd be overloaded. I still regret that - I think it would have been fascinating.

As for standing on line for signings, haven't done that too often. Can't remember the first time. Two occasions I recall are standing on line for Gloria Steinem so that I could get her to sign one of her books for my then very young daughter - for future reference.
The only other time that's memorable was Garson Kanin and Ruth Gordon. Kanin was actually the one officially signing. But Gordon was also there. I asked her to sign his book (a faux pas, to be sure) and he said that there was no reason for her to sign his book. Absolutely true. So I grabbed one of her books from the shelves and she signed that. Then we all kissed and made up an had a nice chat. (Well, we didn't actually kiss, but did have a good chat about writing.)
Oh - a third one just came to mind. Backstage after a concert in Toronto. Lined up for Yehudi Menuhin who signed "Conversations with Menuhin" for me. That was a thrill.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2004, 11:03:43 AM »

Ah, [size=20]Cockroaches![/size]

Not too long after the Glendale office I worked in for so long opened, California had one of it's earthquakes.  When everyone returned to work later in the week, a screaming came from the ladie's rest room.  It seems that the McDonald's downstairs on the first floor had been hosting a number of the friendly specimens, who had been upset by the shaking and fled to other parts of the building.  It fell to me to enter the restroom, capture the bug (a good two-and-a-half incher) and get rid of him.

Which I did by taking him down to the ground level, and throwing him into the street.  He flagged down a car, got in, and rode away.

Well, that last I made up.   ;D

Remember this, however:

[size=20]He came to us from McDonald's!

Gives new meaning to Supersize Me, don't it![/size]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2004, 11:05:27 AM »

PAGE THREE!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2004, 11:13:30 AM »

I'm having a fat day today. I've been working so hard to lose weight and to tone up, but the more I look at myself in the mirror, the more I feel like I've made no progress. I know that's ridiculous, of course...my clothes fit better and others have said they've noticed a difference, but it's very frustrating because I can't notice the difference. Makes me what to chuck the whole thing and eat some Dippin' Dots and have a pizza. Followed by a Snickers bar. Chased by a 2-liter of Cherry Coke. I don't know why I'm sharing this with you all, but there you have it.

I totally understand, Jason!  I've been hitting the gym faithfully..well...almost faithfully...for over a month, and I'm just not seeing anything change.  Maybe I'm impatient, but I want my buns and abs of steel, dammit! :)

Panni

« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2004, 11:18:50 AM »

ROACH WARNING FOR THE SQUEAMISH!

Before we became penniless immigrants, we lived quite well in Hungary. We had a maid for a long time who was wonderful, and then my mother made the mistake of introducing her to some man who was visiting from America. They had the nerve to fall in love, get married and go back to the States. After that we had a series of less successful employees. There was one who had an incredible phobia of bugs. She was very dour and humorless and I couldn't stand her. One day when my cousin Eva was over for lunch and the grown-ups were not home, Eva and I started into a very descriptive conversation about various bugs we had seen in our brief lives. The maid kept telling us to stop, but we gleefully kept going. Finally she came over to get me. I made a run for it between her legs, the only route of escape, as she was blocking the way. But she closed her legs, trapping me between them, and whacked me on the bum.
She was fired that very day. Luckily, you can't fire your child.

Now to writing for money.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2004, 11:25:51 AM »

I have lots of signed books, but most I have picked up elsewhere...not at signings.  Those that are signed personally to me, I usually have some connection to the author that I either get them signed before or after or just hanging around with him at the event, so I'm usually not standing around in line.

One of the few times I remember standing in line was when Bruce Bennett (Herman Brix), then in his nineties, was at the Ray Court Hollywood Collectors Show.  I stood in line for him to sign his bio, PLEASE DON'T CALL ME TARZAN (and it was one of the longest lines ever there).  He signed to me both as Herman Brix and Bruce Bennett, the author of the bio...Mike Chapman inscribed it as well...and Danton Burroughs, Edgar Rice Burroughs' grandson who wrote the forward and is an acquaintance, also inscribed it...so it's triple signed.

Usually when I'm with Harlan Ellison, I'll get him to sign another one of his books to me...I don't like inundate him, but I've got a fair bunch of great inscriptions from him to me on his books.

But most of the guys I collect are dead guys...but I've got signed Sabatinis, Talbot Mundys, Burroughs, P.C. Wren (wrote Beau Geste), Etc.  Sabatini has the most interesting signature...teeney-tiny.  The man must have had no ego at all.  

I'd like to meet William Goldman someday and have him signed my near-mint PRINCESS BRIDE and also TEMPLE OF GOLD.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2004, 11:26:14 AM »

I have never waited on line to have a book signed.  However, I did once wait to have my SWEENEY TODD 33-1/3 double LP signed by Miss Lansbury and Mr. Cariou.  It was, as I recall, at the old Korvette's on 34th Street.  Hmmmm.....but I vaguely recall being more midtown.....maybe 5th Avenue.  Was there a Korvette's on 5th?  Maybe in the mid-40s?  (That's street numbers, not a decade......)

The only book I ever had signed was my original (paperback) version of SONDHEIM & CO., signed by none other than Mr. Kimmel's close personal friend, Stephen Sondheim.  It was on that day that one Morton Gottlieb started making goo-goo eyes at me, and didn't stop for several years, every time I ran into him......but that's another story.  (Ha!  a Sondheim reference in a paragraph that is actually about Sondheim!)

My BK question of the day:
I was listening to LOST IN BOSTON II in the car this morning.  I remembered that there was a cut song from APPLAUSE on it, and when I got to "I'm Lost," I thought: "This must be it.....must have been replaced my the much reviled "Hurry Back."  Once I pulled into my space, and put the car in park (no laughing, DB Jay), I checked the liner notes to find that it was actually cut from THE APPLE TREE.  The lyrics and even the key in which it is sung makes it sound ever-so-suitable for Miss Persky in that spot in APPLAUSE.  (It even sounds a bit like Charles Strouse singing....)  Do you agree?  Wouldn't it have made a fine replacement for the maligned "Hurry Back?"

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2004, 11:45:32 AM »

OK! OK!...

I'm logging off... Now...

Well... Now...

-Time to get some cleaning done - well, it's more like organizing than cleaning actually.  There's no dirt involved.  I just need to put some clothes away, rearrange part of my closet, put some groceries away in the cupboard, etc.  Oh, I do have to vacuum a little, so I guess that's the cleaning...

OK! OK!  I'm going now...

Well...

NOW!!!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2004, 11:51:29 AM »

Oy.  I went over last night and brought my sis and her hubby dinner (leftover ribs).  Anyhow, as I'm leaving my sis hands me a bag of cds (that were mine).  I had wondered where some of those cds had gone.  Most of them I didn't miss.  But I was happy to see that she had my copy of The Last Five Years.

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2004, 11:56:28 AM »

DR Jason: Hey I guess you didn't see my question a day or two ago about the show WB Superstar. I wanted to know how the winner reacted after finding out the truth.

For DRs Jason and Ann: Re: working out.

I have not been good lately.  Usually I bike everyday.  But I've been feeling a bit under the weather still.  And I don't feel like overexerting myself.

Instead I've been eating ice cream!  :)
Well I just have to finish the container I have.  It's called Coffee Crisp ice cream. And it's so good.

I need to start exercising again everyday.

(sorry I can't motivate you guys right now - but keep it up - i'm sure you'll notice a difference, even if it's only a gradual one).

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2004, 11:56:46 AM »

TCB - Yes, that's Steve (Titanic) Kluger. Here's his bio from his new book. (Check later today for an e-mail.)

Steve Kluger is a novelist and playwright who grew up during the Sixties with only two heroes: Tom Seaver and Ethel Merman. Few were able to grasp the concept. A veteran of Casablanca and a graduate of the Graduate, he has written extensively on subjects as far-ranging as World War II, rock 'n roll, and the Titanic, and as close to the heart as baseball and the Boston Red Sox (which frequently have nothing to do with one another).

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2004, 11:59:11 AM »

Tonight is reality tv night for me!

Starts at 7:30pm - Episode one of Simple Life 2 (I believe you guys get it at 8pm or 8:30pm on fox).

Then I have Canadian Idol.  Another episode of Simple Life 2. And then the Newlyweds (we don't get MTV here, so season two is only starting tonight).

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2004, 12:12:55 PM »

Good Eats, Roach-style

Set out dishes containing equal parts of granulated sugar and Borax. Roaches are attracted to sugar, and the boric acid in Borax is deadly to roaches.
(Boric acid and Borax are toxic and should not be accessible to parrots and other pets.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2004, 12:44:01 PM »

I don't remember I'm Lost well enough - I'll have to give it a listen.

Mr. Haines might be coerced into doing a BK Greatest Hits medley, which I used to do when I was doing my very own nightclub show regularly all throughout the eighties and early nineties at The Gardenia.  I do think this Cinegrill evening will happen, maybe even as soon as August or September.  We'd have some grand guests, is what I'm thinking.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2004, 12:45:51 PM »

...Steve Kluger is ...A veteran of Casablanca...
The film, or Ted?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2004, 12:46:12 PM »

How can Guy Haines have a nightclub act if nobody is supposed to know what he looks like?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2004, 12:58:21 PM »

Good Eats, Roach-style

Set out dishes containing equal parts of granulated sugar and Borax. Roaches are attracted to sugar, and the boric acid in Borax is deadly to roaches.
(Boric acid and Borax are toxic and should not be accessible to parrots and other pets.)
EWWWW!

Which reminds me, so I can remind DR Jose: New Good Eats episode tonight on FoodNetwork, called "Hittin' the Sauce."  Sounds yummers, as always.  Followed by a re-run of the "Herbal Preservation" ep.

"Hittin' the Sauce" technically starts a new season for Good Eats, although when one season starts and another begins is a little hard to tell with Alton Brown's show.  Coming soon, I'd guess in a couple of weeks, will be a show on oysters.  He's calling it, logically enough, "Shell Game."  (With his way of titleing shows, he'd fit in here at HHW just fine!)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 01:06:54 PM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2004, 01:05:27 PM »

Since not everyone gets AOL, I wouldn't suppose most people have seen this article on Doctors who are refusing to treat lawyers.

Personally, I think the doctors have a better point, and that the lawyers had better think about the ramifications of their actions.  After all, I sure wouldn't want a doctor operating on me if he was pissed of at me at the time!  If the doc was a plastic surgeon, I could end up looking like Faye Dunnaway!  Sheesh!

(And I don't even want to try imagining what Faye Dunnaway would look like with a beard!)

Panni

« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2004, 01:08:50 PM »

What distinguishes a Guy Haines groupie?
....S/he wears a blindfold.

Panni

« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2004, 01:11:19 PM »

I'm excited at the prospect of seeing (but never revealing what I saw)  bk's close personal friend, Mr. G. Haines performing at the Cinegrill!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2004, 01:20:46 PM »

A QUESTION FOR ASK BK DAY:

If you were to join an on-line dating service (not that anyone here would ever need to) and write a discription of yourself to attract that special someone (as if those attributes aren't self-evident, which they are), what would you include in your discription?

No "Well, I would never do such a thing" replies, please!  We already know that none of us would ever need to!  But, for the sake of being silly, just pretend, and give us your best on-line come-on.

:D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2004, 01:25:38 PM »

Dog-loving middle-aged GWM seeks same for fun days in the kitchen, fun evenings at the theater, and fun nights...well, fun nights!  A sharp wit and a curious mind are a plus.  You: A combination of beard and brain.  Me: Willing to push my limits with the right guy.

(fortunately, the role has already been filled.   ;))

(I'd say "The position has already been filled," but DR TCB would have too many comeback lines for this to remain a family-friendly site!   :o)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 01:27:45 PM by S. Woody White »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2004, 01:31:43 PM »

I've only been to one signing in my life and that was for a recording and not a book. It was during the late 70s, and Laraine Newman, Garrett Morris and Michael O'Donoghue were signing copies of the Saturday Night Live LP at Sam Goody's in Philly.  I brought my 8mm movie camera to film the event (Laraine Newman vogued for me, O'Donoghue actually waved jovially into the camera.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2004, 01:35:37 PM »

I am positive I will not be buying the new FIDDLER CD. I have enough recordings of FIDDLER and desire no more. Perhaps if the productions had been deemed extraordinary or Molina an unforgettably unique and memorable Tevye, maybe I would have been tempted, but the production doesn't have a must-see or must-have quality about it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2004, 01:36:53 PM »

I got some of the original CHORUS LINE folks to autograph their book ON THE LINE when it first came out. This happened at the Drama Book Sotre.

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2004, 01:37:21 PM »

DR Panni, I like the blindfold thing. I think everyone here who goes to see Guy Haines must wear a blindfold! :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2004, 01:39:37 PM »

How can Guy Haines have a nightclub act if nobody is supposed to know what he looks like?

I used to have a baby picture of Mr. Guy Haines.  On the website of "the label" that BK started but which is no longer what it used to be, the very first contest they has was a "Name the performer from their baby picture."  Guy Haines was one of them and I downloaded it.  UNFORTUNATELY, it was on my old computer, which, as I've posted many times before (yes, I'm still in mourning), died and took everything with it. :'(
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2004, 01:42:35 PM »

If you were to join an on-line dating service (not that anyone here would ever need to) and write a discription of yourself to attract that special someone (as if those attributes aren't self-evident, which they are), what would you include in your discription?

No "Well, I would never do such a thing" replies, please!  We already know that none of us would ever need to!  But, for the sake of being silly, just pretend, and give us your best on-line come-on.

I'm not too proud to admit it. Go to gay.com. Go to the profiles section and look for flickpal. You can see for yourself.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2004, 01:49:52 PM »

I actually did it, at jdate, at the urging of someone.  I met some nice folks - I think the description is still there, so you can see it.

Of course, I wrote a whole play, The Good One, about what preceded online dating - the personals ads in the LA Weekly (or whatever city).

William E. Lurie

« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2004, 01:56:37 PM »

Since the name Greg Louganis has been mentioned a couple of times, I thought I would put my 2¢ in.

I totally supported Mr. Louganis coming out (not that everyone didn't know anyway), but I deplored the timing.  He did so the same week his book went on sale and it seemed to me like he was coming out to sell books, turning a brave statement into a cheap stunt to sell books.  Had he announced he was gay even a month or so before the book was published it would have been so much better timing.  Instead it was like "well, I want to sell books so I'll wait to come out until people can buy them".  This cheapened the whole thing for me and I didn't buy the book, which I probably would have otherwise.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up