Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE 'COON'S AGE  (Read 28180 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE 'COON'S AGE
« Reply #300 on: June 17, 2004, 09:28:13 PM »

We must be up too early on the 'morrow.  Bleh bleh bleh.

Or helb helb helb.

Though I would rather not, I must wusburger, or regrubsuw.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #301 on: June 17, 2004, 09:28:14 PM »

And one for Mahler!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #302 on: June 17, 2004, 09:29:45 PM »

Remember, partay until the daylight delights, if you can!

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]TANGO![/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #303 on: June 17, 2004, 09:43:01 PM »

Revues are a tricky animal. I believe (don't quote me on this) you are permitted to do up to three songs by a specific composer without having to obtain the rights to perform them. Of course, obtaining the orchestrations is impossible because the licensing houses have those. That does not mean, however, that you may perform three songs from each show that that composer has written. Therefore, you may not "write" your own Sondheim revue by performing three songs from each of his shows. That's illegal. There are SO many Sondheim revues available that there's no reason for anyone to write their own. And there are revues available for nearly every major composer of musical theatre--Andrew Lloyd Webber's "The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber," Sondheim's "Side by Side by Sondheim," Herman's "ShowTune" (which MTI now licenses), Rodger's "A Grand Night for Singing," Loesser's "Perfectly Frank," Coward's "Oh, Coward!," Porter's "Red, Hot & Cole," etc. They're all over the place. If you wrote a revue with three songs by each of those composers, that'd be OK, but you'd have to pay to get the full orchestrations. It's a tricky thing, licensing. And then you get into the professional theatres and their box office percentages and guarantees and merchandising percentages...it's nuts.

We at Tacoma Little Theatre (oldest community west of the Mississippi River) prefer to do reviews where we don't have to worry about the royalties.  I believe next season we are presenting SIDE BY SIDE BY EURIPIDES.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

« Reply #304 on: June 17, 2004, 09:47:18 PM »

We at Tacoma Little Theatre (oldest community west of the Mississippi River) prefer to do reviews where we don't have to worry about the royalties.  I believe next season we are presenting SIDE BY SIDE BY EURIPIDES.

;D ;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #305 on: June 17, 2004, 09:47:18 PM »

Yep, I do recall that about MTI.  I still have the very handsome 1973 catalog (with a Hirschfeld cover) which contains some great pictures.  I very much wanted to read the Sondheim shows and wrote to request the perusal copies, but they wrote back asking for proof of my organization. Didn't happen.

Amy and SJP say hi!  Matthew is sitting on the sofa leafing through next week's TV Guide.

Please, Dan, don't let Matthew do his Robert Preston impression.  It isn't very good!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #306 on: June 17, 2004, 09:47:43 PM »

Buzzcuts are so much easier to take care of, too.  There's very little risk of bedhair in the morning.

When I was a young'n, my dad used to tell Tony the Barber to always give me a buzzcut, no matter what I asked for.  So I would go in by myself and sit in the chair and ask for a shag cut and--BZZZZZZZZ--peach fuzz city!  I would get so mad, I would turn red with a scowl on my face.  I paid for the haircut in silence and not say "thank you" and stomp out of the place while Tony and the other customers laughed.

So I had an extreme bias against buzzcuts throughout my teens and most of my adult years.  Then about six years ago, a guy I was seeing (uh, I'll pretend to explain that later, Amy...) convinced me to go for broke and get a #3 buzz and I've been doing it every summer since (though I now usually go for #4.)

But enough of my hair--let's get back to the partay!  300 posts on top of everything else today!  Alright!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #307 on: June 17, 2004, 10:06:00 PM »

Wow--a lull!  Only TCB, Panni, Charles Pogue, Tomovoz, myself and the various Tony Award winners, losers and no-noms at the top of the page.

Panni, I'm surprised that your rubber doll never deteriorated after all these years, especially after all the cold cream rub-downs.  Is it the only childhood plaything you still posess?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 10:16:09 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Tomovoz

« Reply #308 on: June 17, 2004, 10:16:25 PM »

Childhood playthings. No! Don't go there.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #309 on: June 17, 2004, 10:17:33 PM »

Thank you for the acknowledgment  of my arrival DTM.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #310 on: June 17, 2004, 10:46:33 PM »

How about Side by Side by the Hilton Sisters?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #311 on: June 17, 2004, 10:52:27 PM »

And they said the partay was over.  Never, I tell you.  

Jason, do you know anyone at Dramatist's Play Service?  Or does anyone?

Panni

« Reply #312 on: June 17, 2004, 11:14:39 PM »

Panni, I'm surprised that your rubber doll never deteriorated after all these years, especially after all the cold cream rub-downs.  Is it the only childhood plaything you still posess?

I still have my beloved monkey. Slept with him for years. My mother had to replace his thinning fur with the lining of a faux-fur coat.

Panni

« Reply #313 on: June 17, 2004, 11:19:18 PM »

I've had a grand time at the partay. I'm totally exhausted, so must wuss out. Congratulations, bk and everyone, on the 50,000. The important thing on this site, though, is not the quantity, staggering as it is, but the quality. A nicer, kinder, funnier, brighter group would be hard to find. Goodnight and on to 100,000!

Jed

« Reply #314 on: June 17, 2004, 11:22:33 PM »

Jrand: I do recall some talk about PCP and I am pretty certain it was all good. The place I worked for three years ago--DISCOVERYLAND, USA! IN TULSA, OKLAHOMA (this is in caps so it will be engrained in your mind so you'll never work there)--has been doing SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS for the last four years. For the last THREE years, they've been doing it without obtaining licenses. They never returned the scripts from the first year they rented the show, so they just keep doing it and we keep sending collection agencies. I think at last count they owed nearly $15,000.

There may be some interesting developments at Bucks County Playhouse pretty soon, as well. Let's just say they're one of the top ten copyright violators we deal with and we're on to them...

Oh my, I do hope my summer stomping grounds of six years (kind of odd to not be up there this summer), Leavenworth Summer Theater, is in good standing!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up