Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: APPROVED  (Read 14797 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: APPROVED
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2012, 11:49:07 AM »

There was an odd report on the Washington Post website about who from Downton Abbey has signed up for the shows beyond season three. Most, like Elizabeth McGovern and Hugh Bonneville, have signed but not Maggie Smith. So, what that means was unclear because the story then features creator Jullian Fellows, who says he originally had not planned it going beyond three seasons.

Here's the link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/celebritology/post/downton-abbey-report-maggie-smith-not-signed-on-past-season-three/2012/03/07/gIQAVeD0wR_blog.html#pagebreak
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:54:33 AM by John G. »
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2012, 11:49:16 AM »

Page four!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2012, 11:50:07 AM »

Our rabbi just sent us the oddest fake newspaper about Purim that included this headline:

March 6, 2012: Haman Announces Deficit Reduction Plan: Kill Jews, Take Stuff.
Everything old is new again?
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2012, 11:56:08 AM »

The weather here is crazy. Two days ago it was freezing. And today it's in the 50s.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2012, 11:56:19 AM »

Zefran reminds me of a Doberman mix my now brother-in-law had when we were in college named Byron. One of the best dogs I've ever seen.

Well, Zef is a sweetie...but...he does bite! (Just like a Shepherd, or a Dobie, or a Collie will.) We have to be real careful about trying to keep him away from something he has decided is his (like a dropped fork!).

How we got him is interesting:

After we lost the two oldest, I went preview shopping at the SPCA. The first dog I looked at was a gorgeous black Lab/Pit mix 6 month old puppy - unfortunately the pit in him was very predominant and he played really rough, even for me. Moose was a month older, and a lot calmer and didn't play quite as rough.

I did mention to the Animal Tech that I felt a bit guilty looking at a dog I though they would have little trouble placing and that I usually aimed for animals that might not have another chance. Well, sez she, let me show you Moses (to be renamed Zef). He was calm and gentle - the main difficulty was he had major vision problems which meant you had to approach his facial area from the side - a dog treat shoved right at him seemed threatening in his blind spot.

I came home and told Woody about both dogs.  The next day, we both went to the pound . We were visiting with Moose in an outdoor pen. The tech brought Zef to an adjacent pen to meet Woody and then brought him into the pen with Moose and me to see what would happen. Zef sniffed, Moose puppy pounced and Zev said "You're on" and the two of them took off romping around the pen. It was amazing watching this elder dog, recenly recovered from heart-worm treatments, with eye problems and hips that were really showing signs of age, happily playing with a 7 month old energetic puppy!

So... Woody says - I guess we should get them both!

Woody had brought Buster and Bonnie in a separate car and they went out back to meet both Moose and Zef  - both of whom they treated with benign indifference.

Woody had to get to work so he took the Blondes and left for me to finalize the deal.

Now - to finalize the deal, the SPCA needed proof that both Bonnie had been neutered (one look tells you that Buster has lost his manhood). The SPCA tried calling the VET in Long Beach where Bonnie was neutered and got no answer. The local Vet where Bonnie has been treated had changed hands and did not keep the old vets records! The Vet Tech said that Bonnies' shot record would indicate if she had been neutered, so I said I would try and find a copy of that (she had been vacinated at a pet-shop clinic two years before.  So I arranged to return on the morrow with the papers and pick-up the new dogs

The next day I went back and produced the proof of Bonnie's un-fecundability ( I wisely failed to note to the clerk that the "Neutered" check on the Vet- signed shot record was because I answered "Yes" to the "Has she been neutered" query.).

I hooked both Zef and Moose to leashes and got them in the back seat of the car.

They both adapted to the car ride immediately - Zef likes to look out the rear window.

(Car trained - CHECK!)

I wanted to delay taking them home until Woody was off work because Flurry had come to visit and I wanted help getting the newcomers used to the chaos which is our home.

I parked to car in the lot by Woody's store and got them both out to try going for a walk. They both took to the leases easily and enjoyed exploring the lot

(Leash - trained: CHECK)

They both enjoyed going up and greeting the customers coming and going.

(Socialized with strangers - CHECK)

When Woody was released, we took them both home to learn about their new environs.

They had no problem adjusting to the rest of the tribe and discovering the food and water dishes.

Zef and Flurry

Zef only needed one shove out the doggie door to discover the fun of the backyard (the rear stoop is his favorite place to sun himself).

I found a "deposit on the rug" cleaned it up with paper towel, shoved Moose through the doggie door, deposited the gift in the back yard and gave him the "here's where we poop" talk.

The next morning, I caught him starting to pea in the hall - I yelled at him and point to the rear door_ he scampered out and we've had no "accidents" since.

(House Trained - CHECK!)

Moose and Zef wrestle ever day - I'm amazed that Zef puts up with it, but he does.

Moose grows by the hour:

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2012, 11:56:48 AM »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2012, 11:57:59 AM »

I'm tired.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2012, 11:58:20 AM »

Same for me. I remember so many stories about your dogs!

Oh, I'm sure there will be more.

der Brucer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2012, 12:19:02 PM »

Hello, everyone.

Nice review, Bruce.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2012, 12:19:52 PM »

DerB, sorry about the loss of your pets. But the new "pups" sound terrific! Hope the transition continues to go so smoothly.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2012, 12:21:46 PM »

Congrats to DR Ginny's DN/G!

Travel vibes to DR Elmore!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2012, 12:25:09 PM »

I'm a bit under the weather today. I rearranged my day to take it easy, but I do need to make a quick run to the nearby Whole Foods Market. I did a load of laundry earlier, as I postponed some other shopping. I am simply NOT a shopper! But I never feel right losing the whole day; I will always try to do SOMETHING. Ugh!

Laura

« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2012, 12:26:49 PM »

So nice to see you, DerBrucer.

How odd about having to prove the dogs were neutered. Question: How would a shot record indicate if the animal had been neutered? Wouldn't they have asked you that question and taken your word for it?

There's no way I could prove with paperwork that Joshie or Sasha had been fixed. Rex, I suppose I could, if the Humane Society kept records this long. Sasha had another name when she was fixed with the rescue group. Joshie had a number -- and I don't have that number any more.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Laura

« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2012, 12:27:16 PM »

Feel better, Jeane.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2012, 12:27:37 PM »

I'm very sad to read about Fletcher & Mikey.  :'(

Very sad.  My condolences, Der Brucer.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2012, 12:27:46 PM »

Moose & Zefran are very lucky to have found your home. :)

Ditto!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2012, 12:28:14 PM »

Proud aunt moment - our DN/G Lauren has been awarded a graduate assistantship at Heidelberg University in Tiffin, OH.  That means that she will be an athletic trainer for their football and baseball teams and receive tuition and room and board to pursue her Master's in education.

Congrats to DN/G Lauren!!

George

John G.

« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2012, 12:37:12 PM »

Nice review, BK.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2012, 12:37:50 PM »

Thanks, DerBrucer, for the extended story on the adoptions. They both sound like fine additions to the family.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2012, 12:53:44 PM »

Thank you, DRs Jeanne and George!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2012, 01:08:03 PM »

By the way, There's Mel is now available as a eBook and amazon has it for only 3.99 - same with a couple of the Hofstetter books.  Such a deal!

John G.

« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2012, 01:15:14 PM »

Feel better vibes, Jeanne.
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2012, 01:21:14 PM »

You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2012, 01:23:02 PM »

BARRY & THE BIMBO is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to actual persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

On the other hand, this story in somewhat autobiographical.

::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnSltZZWumo
You can dream…or you can do.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2012, 01:28:16 PM »

Question: How would a shot record indicate if the animal had been neutered? Wouldn't they have asked you that question and taken your word for it?

You are, of course, exactly on point!

The shot record has a check mark for "neutered"  (which is checked by a clerk based on my "declaration")
and then the form has a Vet signature stamp applied.

I'm shocked, shocked to find that incompetency runs rife in the bureaucracy!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2012, 01:40:30 PM »

BAN THE PB&J = BRING ON THE SOYLENT PINK!

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s continued purchase of so-called pink slime for school lunches makes no sense, according to two former microbiologists at the Food Safety Inspection Service.

“I have a 2-year-old son,” microbiologist Gerald Zirnstein told The Daily. “And you better believe I don’t want him eating pink slime when he starts going to school.”

It was Zirnstein who first coined the term “pink slime” after touring a Beef Products Inc. production facility in 2002 as part of an investigation into salmonella contamination in packaged ground beef. In an email to his colleagues shortly after the visit, Zirnstein said he did not “consider the stuff to be ground beef.”

Made by grinding together connective tissue and beef scraps normally destined for dog food and rendering, BPI’s Lean Beef Trimmings are then treated with ammonia hydroxide, a process that kills pathogens such as salmonella and E. coli.

The resulting pinkish substance is later blended into traditional ground beef and hamburger patties.

For retired microbiologist Carl Custer, a 35-year veteran of the Food Safety Inspection Service, the idea of mixing in BPI’s Lean Beef Trimmings into more nutritious, pure ground beef was itself problematic.

“We originally called it soylent pink,” Custer told The Daily. “We looked at the product and we objected to it because it used connective tissues instead of muscle. It was simply not nutritionally equivalent [to ground beef]. My main objection was that it was not meat.”

The USDA, which plans to buy 7 million pounds of Lean Beef Trimmings from BPI in the coming months for the national school lunch program, said in a statement that all of its ground beef purchases “meet the highest standard for food safety.” USDA officials also noted that the sole role of the food inspection service is to determine the overall safety of the nation’s food supply, not to make judgments on a product’s relative merits.

But Zirnstein and Custer say that the USDA now finds itself in the odd position of purchasing a product that has recently been dropped by fast-food giants McDonald’s, Burger King and Taco Bell.

“My objection with having it in the schools is that it’s not meat,” Custer said.

In 2005, the USDA limited the amount of ammonia-treated Lean Beef Trimmings in a serving of ground beef to 15 percent, but lax labeling requirements mean that it is virtually impossible as a consumer — and for parents of children at a schools where “pink slime” is a part of lunch — to know whether a given package of ground beef or hamburger patty contains it.

“The USDA-AMS [Agricultural Marketing Service] does allow for the inclusion of BPI Boneless Lean Beef in the ground beef they procure for all their federal food programs and, according to federal labeling requirements, it is not a raw material that is uniquely labeled,” Amy Bell, spokeswoman for the California Department of Education Food Distribution Program, told The Daily in an email. “Accordingly, there is no way to tell from simply looking at a package of finished product if BPI Boneless Lean Beef is in the product mix.”

Last year, the USDA said that 6.5 percent of the beef it purchased for the national school lunch program came from BPI.

der Brucer

John G.

« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2012, 02:10:49 PM »

Proud aunt moment - our DN/G Lauren has been awarded a graduate assistantship at Heidelberg University in Tiffin, OH.  That means that she will be an athletic trainer for their football and baseball teams and receive tuition and room and board to pursue her Master's in education.

Congrats to DN/G Lauren!!
Yes, congratulations. That's great news. Better than the free gifts in your water.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2012, 02:12:22 PM »

Energy level has crashed twice this afternoon. Don't know what it is. But I had an apple and hopefully that will pick me up.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2012, 02:12:31 PM »

One more.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up