Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE FRIED EGG  (Read 12527 times)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
Re: ONE FRIED EGG
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2012, 10:23:49 AM »

ANNIE was a perfectly wonderful show during the first three or four years of its run.  It was equal part cynical and sweet and entertained kids as well as adults.  But it was initially aimed at adults.  At some point someone decided that the true audience for the show was little girls and that's how it's been tailored ever since. I applaude DR Matthew's efforts to return it to its roots.

Trying to recruit for this show has been difficult because of exactly what DR Dan (the Man) has said.  Ignorant people think that Annie is about the orphans and what would an adult have to do in the ensemble?  Well, truth is, ignorant people, (none of which exist here at HHW) that the orphans have 3 - count them - 3 scenes in the show.  (and bits here and there) But to be in the adult ensemble, you are on stage a whole lot more than the orphans are.  Still couldn't convince people of that.  Oh well.

Last night, when rehearsing the finale with everyone (which is "Tomorrow"), I asked if anyone in the cast really disliked this song.  The room was silent and they looked at me like I had three heads.  None of them raised their hands.  Of course I was happy.  Back to the ignorant people - not only do they think this show is about little girls, but the next thing that comes to mind is that "horrible" song "Tomorrow".  When you don't know the show, you don't understand the meaning of the song and the context in the show.  It's what makes the show so special and full of optimism and hope.  Many of those ignorant people out there could stand to sit through a good performance of Annie.

And that's all I have....

Matthew

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2012, 10:25:45 AM »

There are new songs at the end, right? Or is "New deal for Christmas" still there? I thought that one got dropped. Or maybe it was just the production I saw.

In the score, there is actually a new song for Warbucks.  Which is not very good IMHO.  We aren't using it.  "New Deal of Christmas" is still in the score and is still the final song. The  "Tomorrow" reprise is for after the bows, making it sorta the "Finale" etc...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2012, 10:26:37 AM »

I'm up and getting ready to go to Teddy for a haircut on my heady.

Ginny

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2012, 10:28:05 AM »

I'm off for a haircut, too, BK!  Also to the grocery store, because it's materialized in the past hour that Rob and Mary Linda will be here for dinner  ;D

Bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2012, 10:37:53 AM »

It's haircut week. I will be getting a haircut on Saturday morning at 8am.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2012, 10:51:28 AM »

Back from the dentist, and the news is not good.  I guess I should really go more often than once a decade.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2012, 10:51:57 AM »

I was spoiled by never having had a cavity well into my adult years.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2012, 11:09:37 AM »

I like DR DtM's All's Swell That Ends Swell!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2012, 11:19:16 AM »

Good news so far about an office rental! Except the broker sent me the wrong office number.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2012, 11:25:12 AM »

My adopted son Joshie sould use some vibes today. He's daling with a cheap producer and a deadline, two battles he needs to win.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Victory Vibes for my aon Joshie! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~Additional Vibes for Elmore's Adopted Son, Joshie!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2012, 11:26:32 AM »

Good news so far about an office rental! Except the broker sent me the wrong office number.

Will you be in the same neighborhood as you are now so it will be easy to visit you?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2012, 11:27:04 AM »

I need a haircut.  If I feel better this weekend, I shall head to my favorite tonsorial parlor.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2012, 11:27:19 AM »

We had some real excitement here last night.

Somebody broke into my next door neighbor's house. 

The family came home after being out for about a half hour, and found the back door open. 

The husband had his wife and son wait outside while he got his gun and searched the house. 

He found the perp hiding in the bedroom closet.  The guy deflected the gun, as the husband took a shot at him.

The perp ran out the back door and jumped the fence.

The only injury was the bedroom wall and a TV set.

There were helicopters and K-9 units all over the place last night, but the perp got away.

YIKES!! :o
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2012, 11:28:10 AM »

My adopted son Joshie sould use some vibes today. He's daling with a cheap producer and a deadline, two battles he needs to win.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Victory Vibes for my aon Joshie! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~Additional Vibes for Elmore's Adopted Son, Joshie!!~~~

Ditto! ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2012, 11:37:56 AM »

I need a haircut.  If I feel better this weekend, I shall head to my favorite tonsorial parlor.

Don't eat any meat pies you may be offered as refreshment!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2012, 11:39:02 AM »

Will you be in the same neighborhood as you are now so it will be easy to visit you?

Yes. Hopefully, same buidling.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Doug R

« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2012, 11:46:10 AM »

Back from the dentist, and the news is not good.  I guess I should really go more often than once a decade.

Don't remind me. I keep putting off my check up which is well overdue.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2012, 12:12:14 PM »

The one with the lavabo?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2012, 12:12:57 PM »

Don't eat any meat pies you may be offered as refreshment!
Hadn't seen this yet. Great minds, or at least minds like mine ...
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Matthew

« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2012, 12:20:02 PM »

Do we give dog vibes here?   Anyway, today was the first time since all of the DD's have been neutered that they have been co-existing without the aid of an enclosure for an hour now.  No fights, lots of ignoring, one even peed on the other (by accident) and the other didn't lose it.  I'm very excited by this.  I just hope it continues.

Matthew

« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2012, 12:28:13 PM »

Yeah, I didn't go for over a decade - which equaled, 2 crowns, 1 root canal and 5 fillings.  Hope you fared better, JMK

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2012, 12:41:33 PM »

DR JMK what did you do with all those Barbara Harris photos?  Did you check the other safe for old fan mail?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2012, 12:42:16 PM »

Back to the ignorant people - not only do they think this show is about little girls, but the next thing that comes to mind is that "horrible" song "Tomorrow".  When you don't know the show, you don't understand the meaning of the song and the context in the show.  It's what makes the show so special and full of optimism and hope.  Many of those ignorant people out there could stand to sit through a good performance of Annie.

Idina Menzel thoight enough of the song to highlight it in her concert that was broadcast last night on PBS.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matthew

« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2012, 12:46:21 PM »

Back to the ignorant people - not only do they think this show is about little girls, but the next thing that comes to mind is that "horrible" song "Tomorrow".  When you don't know the show, you don't understand the meaning of the song and the context in the show.  It's what makes the show so special and full of optimism and hope.  Many of those ignorant people out there could stand to sit through a good performance of Annie.

Idina Menzel thoight enough of the song to highlight it in her concert that was broadcast last night on PBS.

der Brucer

Good for her.  Even though I'm not a fan of Idina - she's just ok

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2012, 12:53:07 PM »

DR Druxy, that is a crazy story. Did your neighbor actually mean to try to shoot the guy.  The whole thing is crazy to me since nobody here has guns. But then to shoot the guy. Did he take anything.

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2012, 12:55:18 PM »

I wish that ANNIE would play here. My 6 year old niece is absolutely obsessed with it. She listened to the cd every night for like 2 years!

Laura

« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2012, 01:02:59 PM »

ANNIE is a great introduction to the theater for children. As is PETER PAN. Both of which I have taken The Goldstein Sisters to see.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

George

« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2012, 01:09:42 PM »

Lovely Dustin Hoffman story, DR Elmore - thanks for sharing it!

Sorry about your trip to Baltimore...

Ditto! and ditto.

George

« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2012, 01:10:01 PM »

ANNIE was a perfectly wonderful show during the first three or four years of its run.  It was equal part cynical and sweet and entertained kids as well as adults.  But it was initially aimed at adults.  At some point someone decided that the true audience for the show was little girls and that's how it's been tailored ever since. I applaude DR Matthew's efforts to return it to its roots.

When I was in the show in the mid-1990s, we had a wonderful adult chorus (ensemble).  I don't recall our show being all about the kids...I think we did realize that adults could appreciate it, as well.

George

« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2012, 01:10:27 PM »

And since we're so close...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up