Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE FRIED EGG  (Read 12432 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: ONE FRIED EGG
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2012, 01:11:40 PM »

PAGE FOUR ANNIE DANCE!!

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2012, 01:11:55 PM »

DR Druxy, that is a crazy story. Did your neighbor actually mean to try to shoot the guy.  The whole thing is crazy to me since nobody here has guns. But then to shoot the guy. Did he take anything.

As far as I know, nothing was taken.

And, yes, I believe my neighbor tried to shoot the guy.

In Texas, people have guns.

If somebody breaks into your house, you have the right to protect yourself, don't you?

The police can't be everywhere.
You can dream…or you can do.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2012, 01:24:40 PM »

JR, there was so much crap (technical term) going on after my second Uncle died with regard to the shysters attempting to usurp his Estate that the Harris pics were of little consequence.  I did write to Barbara about them, telling her how odd it was.  She never responded LOL.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2012, 01:47:58 PM »

DR Druxy, that is a crazy story. Did your neighbor actually mean to try to shoot the guy.  The whole thing is crazy to me since nobody here has guns. But then to shoot the guy. Did he take anything.

In Texas, like most US localities, once an intruder crosses the sill, he is fair game; there is a presumption that you are in fear for your life.

And, some would counsel, if you shoot an SOB running away, drag him back inside before the cops arrive

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2012, 01:56:33 PM »

In Texas, like most US localities, once an intruder crosses the sill, he is fair game; there is a presumption that you are in fear for your life.

And, some would counsel, if you shoot an SOB running away, drag him back inside before the cops arrive

der Brucer

;)

You can dream…or you can do.

George

« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2012, 02:18:38 PM »

Do we give dog vibes here?   Anyway, today was the first time since all of the DD's have been neutered that they have been co-existing without the aid of an enclosure for an hour now.  No fights, lots of ignoring, one even peed on the other (by accident) and the other didn't lose it.  I'm very excited by this.  I just hope it continues.

~~~Continued Doggy Friendliness Vibes for DR Matthew!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2012, 02:20:37 PM »

TCB (and anyone else interested), did you read/hear about this:  APNewsBreak: Full Titanic site mapped for 1st time.

Sounds very interesting. :)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2012, 02:36:11 PM »

Lovely Dustin Hoffman story, DR Elmore - thanks for sharing it!

DITTO!

Jane

« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2012, 02:37:23 PM »

Dear Amy also has only wonderful things to say about Mr. Hoffman. He narrated Jews and Baseball.

I was waiting to see if anyone mentioned this. :)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2012, 02:37:26 PM »

For JohnG:

Next time you need a pick-me-up, instead of an apple slice, try one of these:

THE BUTCH BAKERY

Bake it, says David Arrick, and they will come. We're talking cupcakes --cupcakes that screamed masculinity.  None of the frilly pink stuff.

Beer Run is a chocolate-stout cupcake with vanilla stout buttercream topped with chocolate-covered pretzels. The Driller's maple cake, frosted with milk chocolate ganache, is topped with fresh bacon bits that have been roasted with light brown sugar and ground black pepper. Defense Defense is red velvet slathered with Jack Daniel’s cream cheese frosting and a Rum Runner is a rum-raisin cupcake with rum cream cheese frosting.

Arrick, with his game-changing The Butch Bakery Cookbook (Wiley), is the men’s cupcake market maker.

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2012, 02:37:36 PM »

Back from Teddy who did his customary wonderful job.

Jane

« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2012, 02:40:10 PM »

DR Dan (the Man) VIBES YOU SOON FEEL BETTER!!

Jane

« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2012, 02:44:10 PM »

ANNIE was a perfectly wonderful show during the first three or four years of its run.  It was equal part cynical and sweet and entertained kids as well as adults.  But it was initially aimed at adults.  At some point someone decided that the true audience for the show was little girls and that's how it's been tailored ever since. I applaude DR Matthew's efforts to return it to its roots.

Trying to recruit for this show has been difficult because of exactly what DR Dan (the Man) has said.  Ignorant people think that Annie is about the orphans and what would an adult have to do in the ensemble?  Well, truth is, ignorant people, (none of which exist here at HHW) that the orphans have 3 - count them - 3 scenes in the show.  (and bits here and there) But to be in the adult ensemble, you are on stage a whole lot more than the orphans are.  Still couldn't convince people of that.  Oh well.

Last night, when rehearsing the finale with everyone (which is "Tomorrow"), I asked if anyone in the cast really disliked this song.  The room was silent and they looked at me like I had three heads.  None of them raised their hands.  Of course I was happy.  Back to the ignorant people - not only do they think this show is about little girls, but the next thing that comes to mind is that "horrible" song "Tomorrow".  When you don't know the show, you don't understand the meaning of the song and the context in the show.  It's what makes the show so special and full of optimism and hope.  Many of those ignorant people out there could stand to sit through a good performance of Annie.

And that's all I have....

When I saw ANNIE in NY in 1978 was it a good show?

Jane

« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2012, 02:45:06 PM »

It's haircut week. I will be getting a haircut on Saturday morning at 8am.

It seems so.  I'm skipping my swim tomorrow to get my hair cut.

Jane

« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2012, 02:45:59 PM »

I was spoiled by never having had a cavity well into my adult years.

Sorry about your visit to the dentist.  I expect you will go more often now.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »

And you were younger than the lead!

der Brucer

Jane

« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2012, 02:46:43 PM »

And you were younger than the lead!

der Brucer

LOL.  I was pregnant with my second kid.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2012, 02:47:51 PM »

For JohnG:

Next time you need a pick-me-up, instead of an apple slice, try one of these:

THE BUTCH BAKERY

Bake it, says David Arrick, and they will come. We're talking cupcakes --cupcakes that screamed masculinity.  None of the frilly pink stuff.

Beer Run is a chocolate-stout cupcake with vanilla stout buttercream topped with chocolate-covered pretzels. The Driller's maple cake, frosted with milk chocolate ganache, is topped with fresh bacon bits that have been roasted with light brown sugar and ground black pepper. Defense Defense is red velvet slathered with Jack Daniel’s cream cheese frosting and a Rum Runner is a rum-raisin cupcake with rum cream cheese frosting.

Arrick, with his game-changing The Butch Bakery Cookbook (Wiley), is the men’s cupcake market maker.

der Brucer

Hey, I'd eat those. I hate to say it, though, but bacon is getting a little too overdone. Well, bacon as a sweet garnish with foods it doesn't really belong with.  
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2012, 02:49:34 PM »

Vibes for DR Elmore's Adopted Son, Joshie!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2012, 02:49:56 PM »

Hi all!

Not much to say because I'm off to work except to tell Vixmom that I think I read someplace that the pink slime is IN McD's hamburgers as well.  Yuck.

Have a good day all!

I believe that McDonald's has very publicly removed pink slime from their burgers.  I would just like to know how you can tell if the ground beef at your grocery store contains it?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

John G.

« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2012, 02:50:44 PM »

ANNIE was a perfectly wonderful show during the first three or four years of its run.  It was equal part cynical and sweet and entertained kids as well as adults.  But it was initially aimed at adults.  At some point someone decided that the true audience for the show was little girls and that's how it's been tailored ever since. I applaude DR Matthew's efforts to return it to its roots.

Trying to recruit for this show has been difficult because of exactly what DR Dan (the Man) has said.  Ignorant people think that Annie is about the orphans and what would an adult have to do in the ensemble?  Well, truth is, ignorant people, (none of which exist here at HHW) that the orphans have 3 - count them - 3 scenes in the show.  (and bits here and there) But to be in the adult ensemble, you are on stage a whole lot more than the orphans are.  Still couldn't convince people of that.  Oh well.

Last night, when rehearsing the finale with everyone (which is "Tomorrow"), I asked if anyone in the cast really disliked this song.  The room was silent and they looked at me like I had three heads.  None of them raised their hands.  Of course I was happy.  Back to the ignorant people - not only do they think this show is about little girls, but the next thing that comes to mind is that "horrible" song "Tomorrow".  When you don't know the show, you don't understand the meaning of the song and the context in the show.  It's what makes the show so special and full of optimism and hope.  Many of those ignorant people out there could stand to sit through a good performance of Annie.

I think so. Dorothy Loudon, Andrea McArdle and Reid Shelton were great. So was the flow of the show. And America needed to hear that message back then. Still does.

I remember Shelton did an episode of "St. Elsewhere" and they played "Tomorrow" or another tune from "Annie" in the background prompting some sort of gruff, Warbucks-like comment from him.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2012, 02:51:32 PM »

Hi all!

Not much to say because I'm off to work except to tell Vixmom that I think I read someplace that the pink slime is IN McD's hamburgers as well.  Yuck.

Have a good day all!

I believe that McDonald's has very publicly removed pink slime from their burgers.  I would just like to know how you can tell if the ground beef at your grocery store contains it?

If you believe the following, chances are good that it does:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/03/08/whistleblowers-70-percent-of-u-s-ground-beef-contains-pink-slime/
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2012, 02:56:05 PM »

I think so. Dorothy Loudon, Andrea McArdle and Reid Shelton were great. So was the flow of the show. And America needed to hear that message back then. Still does.

I remember Shelton did an episode of "St. Elsewhere" and they played "Tomorrow" or another tune from "Annie" in the background prompting some sort of gruff, Warbucks-like comment from him.

Thinking about it, must have been in the spring of 1979 though I expect that wouldn't change your response.  My parent's visited us in New Jersey & got tickets to ANNIE.  I found it entertaining enough during the show but I found it very sad.  My mother felt the same way. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:25:41 PM by Jane »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2012, 03:00:15 PM »

My adopted son Joshie sould use some vibes today. He's daling with a cheap producer and a deadline, two battles he needs to win.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Victory Vibes for my aon Joshie! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Positive vibes to DES (or aon) Joshie!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2012, 03:04:18 PM »

In December 1983, I was unemployed and a friend who manged the long-gone Minskoff rehearsal studios asked me to manage the place for two weeks while she went home for Christmas. At the time I was orchestrating John McGlinn's first recording "Songs of New York" for Book-of-the-Month Club. So, every day, I opened the rehearsal studios, sat at my friend's desk, made bookings and cancellations and wrote music. Hoffman and the company of DEATH OF A SALESMAN were rehearsing there, and every morning Dustin would show up with Arthur Miller, the actress who played the secretary, and spend the day in the largest rehearsal space. Dustin supported himself through acting classes by playing piano for dance classes, and while he's very shy, he never spoke to me the first week I was there but he did ntice there was music paper all over my desk. Beginning the second week, every night when he left, he would walk by my desk and say "Good night, Mr Schubert" or "Good night, Mr Lizst," and i would yell after him, "Call me Franz" or "Call me Richard" if I were Mr Wagner that day.

The last day I was there, it was the birthday of the actress who played the secretary, and around 3 in the afternoon, Dustin sent a slice of birthday cake and a glass of champagne to my desk. He remains one of  my favorite celebrities. John Malkovitch was in that production. I feel the complete opposite about him.

John Malkovitch is a complete nut-job.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2012, 03:05:27 PM »

We had some real excitement here last night.

Somebody broke into my next door neighbor's house. 

The family came home after being out for about a half hour, and found the back door open. 

The husband had his wife and son wait outside while he got his gun and searched the house. 

He found the perp hiding in the bedroom closet.  The guy deflected the gun, as the husband took a shot at him.

The perp ran out the back door and jumped the fence.

The only injury was the bedroom wall and a TV set.

There were helicopters and K-9 units all over the place last night, but the perp got away.

I am relieved that the stray bullet didn't find its way into your house.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2012, 03:10:50 PM »

Scary story DR DRUXY!!!

DR ELMORE - Mr Hoffman, I am sure, is a very nice person.  I am commenting merely on his movies.

DR JRand61, i don't think Laurence Olivier was fond of him, so I'm not throwing any rocks, just telling what a mensch he can be. After the work for him on Merchant of Venice, he sent me a fantastic gift of engraved stationery.

And that leads to the day at Drama Book Shop when a customer on the phone ordered 30 copies of the play The Merchant of Venus. I wonder if DR MBrarnum ever worked as a school seretary?

And I have always enjoyed that Ava Gardner film ONE TOUCH OF VENICE.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2012, 03:12:39 PM »

Scary story DR DRUXY!!!

DR ELMORE - Mr Hoffman, I am sure, is a very nice person.  I am commenting merely on his movies.

DR JRand61, i don't think Laurence Olivier was fond of him, so I'm not throwing any rocks, just telling what a mensch he can be. After the work for him on Merchant of Venice, he sent me a fantastic gift of engraved stationery.

And that leads to the day at Drama Book Shop when a customer on the phone ordered 30 copies of the play The Merchant of Venus. I wonder if DR MBrarnum ever worked as a school seretary?

The Hoffman/Laurence Olivier story is classic.

:D

And very much an echo of "My Week with Marilyn." Olivier really couldn't stand method acting.

Nor can I.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »

TOD:

I feel the same as DR JRand. Have just never enjoyed any of the Dustin Hoffman movies that I've seen.

It is nice, however, to know that he is a nice person. Perhaps he will someday make a film I like.

Not unless he moves to India.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2012, 03:18:09 PM »

Every single person connected to the film version of ANNIE should have been sued, or horse-whipped.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up