Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THERE'S A PLACE CALLED HOME  (Read 12894 times)

MBarnum

Re: THERE'S A PLACE CALLED HOME
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2012, 11:22:11 AM »

Holding Down The Hub is the title of my new self-help book.

I've already pre-ordered my copy.

MBarnum

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2012, 11:23:29 AM »

All this talk of 80 degree weather is certainly frustrating for us here in the Pacific Wonderland where it is cold and rainy and/or snowy.

Next week is the first day of spring and it better dang well be sunny and warm on that day!

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2012, 11:32:20 AM »

My friends Ron and Patrick are tring to get me to go out to our local gay bar this Friday night.

I just don't know that I am in the mood to sit around feeling old amongst a bunch of annoying 20-somethings while dance music I don't know is blaring.

I told Ron that if he could get them to play some Bollywood music I would go.

PS: I have not been to this bar before. Last time I went to a gay bar in Salem must have been well over ten years ago, and that one closed down several years back. Even then the only guys our age were the lushes (among them, one of my ex boyfriends) who are usually drunk as a skunk.

I have, on the other hand, during these last 10 years, been to gay bars in Portland where the clientele is better, and they have naked dancers on stages.

MBarnum

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2012, 11:33:15 AM »

I think I would rather spend my Friday evening enjoying a good (or bad) movie on television or at the theatre....I still haven't seen WE BOUGHT A ZOO.

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2012, 11:36:50 AM »

By the way, has anyone checked out the new show GCB? I watched last Sunday's episode and enjoyed it...it was nice to see David James Elliott and Annie Potts on TV again.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2012, 12:02:07 PM »

By the way, has anyone checked out the new show GCB? I watched last Sunday's episode and enjoyed it...it was nice to see David James Elliott and Annie Potts on TV again.

I enjoyed it, but didn't love it.  I'll certainly watch it, mainly because I like the "camp" factor. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2012, 12:02:27 PM »

Good morning, all! I had a long convoluted dream that I hated to leave: I was at a concert of something I'd worked on and Sergeant Aborn, of Tams-Witmark, was there' he mentioned he had a project that he would like me to look at. Then my friend Curtis and I were producing a series of recordings of "high school musicals" for Tams-Witmark. We invaded this rehearsal space and all these associates of Curtis' were singing and playing music as we rehearsed the first musical. Then the alarm went off.

Today, I will take the proof of the vocal score to City Center and go over fixes with Joshie. It's the first day of the PIPE DREAM rehearsal, so I may stop in and say hello to Rob, Mark, and others.  I'm helping him proof the new scores for the Victoria Mallory-Kurt Peterson act that Jonathan Tunick is scoring.

DR Der Brucer, I can't guarantee that I am completely correct about BK's catalogue of recordings, but I believe TLWNCNBS, when the creeps folded it, remaindered all of the CDS. When I need a promo copy, I go to Amazon.com marketplace and look for the cheapest "very good" used copy. I would never buy from them after 2001, and now that they're out of business, I feel I did my bit to help it along.

And now . . . more coffee.

It's a shame that BK can't reissue some of the FA titles...especially the Sherman Brothers CD.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2012, 12:03:15 PM »

DR GEORGE send him a letter - he will write back.

At one point, someone gave me his address, but I wouldn't know what to ask without sounding like a gushing fan...which he's said that he doesn't really care for. ::)

George

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2012, 12:03:35 PM »

I was also astounded to discover that I cannot get the 3rd CD of the new BEN HUR set out of the damned case.

Try this:  Hold the hub firmly and press down on it while you lift the CD from the side.  It's worked for me every time.

That didn't work for me. Like JMK I ended up breaking off one of the clips which solved the problem and the disc is still held properly in the tray. I think there must be minute variations in those jewel cases making it harder to get the disc out in some of them.

I also tried holding down the hub and I was bending the CD to such an extent I thought it was going to break in half.

Did that once to a DVD...very sad.

Over the years, that's happened to several CDs and DVDs that the library has purchased.  Fortunately, I was able to get no-charge replacements...because it was considered a "manufacturer's defect."

;)

Ginny

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2012, 12:05:12 PM »

I was shocked to look outside and see it snowing. The temps dipped down lowenough for it to snow. It was heavy for a few minutes. Hopefully that will be the last snowflakes I see this season.

I'm shocked that I'm debating turning on the air conditioner.

Us, too, DR Elmore!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2012, 12:12:24 PM »

I'll certainly watch it, mainly because I like the "camp" factor. :D

Me too! Great to see Kristen get a nice comedy gig with a chance to also sing.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:33:37 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2012, 12:12:40 PM »

I was shocked to look outside and see it snowing. The temps dipped down lowenough for it to snow. It was heavy for a few minutes. Hopefully that will be the last snowflakes I see this season.

I'm shocked that I'm debating turning on the air conditioner.
I'm having people over Sunday and will definitely have to do it before then.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2012, 12:15:55 PM »

My friends Ron and Patrick are tring to get me to go out to our local gay bar this Friday night.

I just don't know that I am in the mood to sit around feeling old amongst a bunch of annoying 20-somethings while dance music I don't know is blaring.

I told Ron that if he could get them to play some Bollywood music I would go.

PS: I have not been to this bar before. Last time I went to a gay bar in Salem must have been well over ten years ago, and that one closed down several years back. Even then the only guys our age were the lushes (among them, one of my ex boyfriends) who are usually drunk as a skunk.

I have, on the other hand, during these last 10 years, been to gay bars in Portland where the clientele is better, and they have naked dancers on stages.

Wasn't it someone named Sweeney Todd who once said, "Life is for the alive, my dear, so let's keep living it, really living it"?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »

I've tried to put the word out that I would buy back Haines His Way and the Sherman Brothers Album, to no avail.  I know they've sold back masters to a few singers - I've told the singers what to ask for and how much to offer.  I would only do the Sherman Brothers album if they had the hard drives so that I could completely remix it from scratch - as most know, the idiot who did the mix left off half the band tracks and didn't comp vocals.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2012, 12:28:12 PM »

I've been to the framers and shortly I will be on my way to Paty's coffee shop to have a lunch meeting.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2012, 12:41:02 PM »

Wasn't it someone named Sweeney Todd who once said, "Life is for the alive, my dear, so let's keep living it, really living it"?

Was that before or after he observed "Life is like a box of chocolates..."

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2012, 12:41:33 PM »

Holding Down The Hub is the title of my new self-help book.

I've already pre-ordered my copy.

That makes ONE of you.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2012, 12:43:46 PM »

It is very warm and the allergies are making themselves known.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2012, 12:44:13 PM »

I've tried to put the word out that I would buy back Haines His Way and the Sherman Brothers Album, to no avail.  I know they've sold back masters to a few singers - I've told the singers what to ask for and how much to offer.  I would only do the Sherman Brothers album if they had the hard drives so that I could completely remix it from scratch - as most know, the idiot who did the mix left off half the band tracks and didn't comp vocals.

So sad - you hand the finest B'Way highlight/cabaret act catalog on Planet Earth!

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2012, 12:44:43 PM »

My question for ASK BK day.....what do you think is the worst-sequenced Broadway Cast LP?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2012, 01:03:22 PM »

My question for ASK BK day.....what do you think is the worst-sequenced Broadway Cast LP?

Well, most of them are sequenced in show order, but I do know, for example, they moved Grapes of Roth on Promises late in the program, which I hated and put right when we reissued it.  I don't like when they move stuff around on a cast album - but in the LP era sometimes it was out of necessity due to how much you could put on one side of an LP

John G.

« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2012, 01:05:14 PM »

I always thought it hilarious on the London cassette recording of "A Little Night Music" that they broke "In Praise of Women," so that it starts on side A and then finishes on side B.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2012, 01:06:49 PM »

Was that before or after he observed "Life is like a box of chocolates..."

der Brucer
Before he jumped tracks to "On the Twentieth Century" and discovered that life is like a train.
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2012, 01:07:50 PM »

My ask BK question for the day:

Can you please return the "spell check" feature to HHW?

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2012, 01:19:56 PM »

This is one of my favorite Maurice Chevalier numbers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY28AiP6ahU
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2012, 01:23:22 PM »

My wife was as Costco today, and some employee pushing a merchandise cart accidentally ran into her back.

>:(

My wife has had 3 back surgeries.

She's now lying down with a heating pad on her back and will be going to see her doctor tomorrow.

:-\
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2012, 01:27:50 PM »

Vibes for your wife, Druxy.
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »

DR JRand61, did you know that Mark Damon has now published his autobiography?

http://www.amazon.com/Cowboy-Mogul-Monster-Neverending-Pioneer/dp/1434377377/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i#_

MBarnum

« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2012, 01:29:26 PM »

Poor Mrs. Druxy! Vibes that she feels better very soon.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2012, 02:02:17 PM »

Poor Mrs. Druxy! Vibes that she feels better very soon.

Agreed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up