Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: HOOKED ON A DANISH  (Read 17913 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: HOOKED ON A DANISH
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2012, 10:28:28 AM »

Page four!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2012, 10:34:27 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR JRand's dad!!!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2012, 10:35:07 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Rodzinski!!!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2012, 10:36:37 AM »

THANKS!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2012, 10:38:26 AM »

My father also came from a huge family--we didn't even know about some of the kids, many of whom died in infancy, until my sister found birth certificates in England and then later we got the foster home records from New York.  I may still have an Aunt somewhere out there we haven't been able to find (Keith--get on that, would you?)  :)

Are you talking about Sylvia or Catherine?

The baby that was given up for adoption.  Sylvia I knew about, and Kathie actually remembers her.

Was Catherine, born 6/19/22, the name of the baby?

I think the baby was just given the temporary name Catherine because that was my grandmother's name, but, yes, the baby whose birth led to my grandmother's death and who was given up for adoption.

Tell Keith it's just as important to find out what happened to my Grandfather and oldest Uncle.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2012, 10:38:44 AM »

Spending the day at the hospital with Mom, waiting for an open spot to get her ablation procedure done.  She is off her sleep schedule, so she's wide awake at nights ( watching TCM I'm told) and is sleeping or wake/sleepy during the day.  This morning she treated me to a quick rendition of "Singing In The Rain".
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2012, 10:40:18 AM »

Sounds good DR DtM!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2012, 10:41:16 AM »

My Mom was nine of nine in her family.  Not only that, but my grandparents took in and raised one of my uncle's "whoops". 
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2012, 10:44:44 AM »

I feel a visit to the dentist coming on. I'm a year late for my check up and a tooth has suddenly become extremely sensitive to hot liquids.

Buy some toothpaste for sensitive teeth.  It helps me.

I have just started using Sensodyne in an attempt not to have these teeth pulled.  Time will tell.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2012, 10:50:56 AM »

My Dad's family were slackers--only six there.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2012, 10:59:05 AM »

Today is my father's 86th birthday.  Here is a picture of him with his guitar taken a few years ago - I combined it with a picture of his mother and all his brothers and sisters.....he is the baby in his mother's arms.  This picture was about 1928.

His father died of TB in a sanitarium in North Carolina.  He had gone there for very expensive treatments, and once his money was gone, they sent him home.  He owned the general store and lumber mill in Liberty, Kentucky....and was also the local school teacher. 

My grandmother sold both businesses but never received her money from the men who took it from her.  She moved to Indiana where her brother and sister had families in the early 1930's.

When he was about eight years old, my father contracted polio.  He had several operations on his legs and used a wheelchair for awhile and then walked on crutches.  He has always walked with a limp.

He and my mother will be married 64 years this September.   ;D

A Very Happy 86th Birthday to DR JRands Father!! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2012, 11:07:03 AM »

I have returned from Encores! Joshie has his transpositions under control and I've returned home to find several  folks committing themselves to an August recording, including Miss Kim Criswell!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2012, 11:08:09 AM »

I had meant to mention that as well, DR JRand61! I hope he's having a great birthday.

My beloved Rachel Kelly has signed on to play Jane Murray.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:25:30 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2012, 11:13:46 AM »

I have returned from Encores! Joshie has his transpositions under control and I've returned home to find several  folks committing themselves to an August recording, including Miss Kim Criswell!

I love Kim Criswell!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2012, 11:14:07 AM »

TOD: What are your favorite kinds of muffins and Danish and pastry?

Answer:  Any muffins and Danish and pastry

DITTO!! :D

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2012, 11:14:34 AM »

... so many cheesy redos...

From Wisconsin?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2012, 11:26:20 AM »

Spending the day at the hospital with Mom, waiting for an open spot to get her ablation procedure done.  She is off her sleep schedule, so she's wide awake at nights ( watching TCM I'm told) and is sleeping or wake/sleepy during the day.  This morning she treated me to a quick rendition of "Singing In The Rain".

DR Dan(theMan), I hope all is going well for her.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:40:40 AM by elmore3003 »

John G.

« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »

I like her voice. That's great.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2012, 11:48:20 AM »

Great to hear it. Singing is a great tonic.
― Voltaire

DERBRUCER

« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2012, 12:05:52 PM »

Keith now remembers that merry-go-round & is still recovering. 

If Keith is searching for a person that was formally adopted he could well end up on a never-ending merry-go-round. Upon my adoption I was issued a new birth certificate phonied up with my new name and adoptive parents' identities.  The original is locked away in a state vault (where not even I can see it). The phony birth certificate gives no indication that it does not reflect truth. Indeed, I can't even be certain that the place and date of birth are accurate.

Unlike all those "guests" on TV shows and subjects of Lifetime movies, I have never felt "a piece of me" was missing".  I will confess to childhood fantasies of being a long-lost prince.

Of course there was the time when I was six that I went home and told my Mother that my teacher had called me aside and had chastised me for mentioning that I was adopted and told me that it should be my secret that I should never shared. I gather that poor Miss Williams had quite an earful the following day! My Mother had always made me feel that being adopted made me special, so when the teacher asked all of us to share "where came from" - I shared.

When others learn more details of my family situation, they usually jump to wrong conclusions: my parents lost a child when he was 18 months old, and adopted me when I was 18 months old - didn't I resent being a "replacement" baby.  Nope! (When my parents were told shortly after my older brother's birth that they could have no more children, they decided to adopt another so they would not be raising an only child; Bobby died before I was adopted. The only thing I resented was not having that older brother. When 8 years later on, my Mother found out the hard way that "couldn't have any more children" really meant "shouldn't have any more children she gave birth to Chuck, it seems I was expected to feel eternal resentment because they now had a "favored" natural son and I was just an also run adoptee. Well, wrong again. If anything it was Chuck who probably had the resentment of growing up in the shadow of an older, seemingly more favored, brother.

I bet my story would drive a Psychoanalyst nuts.

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2012, 12:08:19 PM »

Good news DR ELMORE.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2012, 12:08:59 PM »

... ( watching TCM I'm told)

Hmmm...seems the tree doesn't grow far from the dropped apple.

der Brucer

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2012, 12:17:13 PM »

And the word of the day is: ENCEINTE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  THE STORY GOES ON

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2012, 12:26:02 PM »

There's a holdup in the Bronx
Brooklyn's broken out in fights

There's a traffic jam in Harlem
That's backed up to Jackson Heights.....

All broadcast television is Indianapolis has been interrupted....world shaking emergency.....YES....

John Elway is introducing Peyton Manning in Denver.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2012, 12:26:51 PM »

Zef really seems to be settling in. To start he was very stand-offish - he loved playing with Moose, but generally ignored the rest of us. Now he is demanding more and more attention. He follows me all over the house, sits on my feet when I'm trying to put on shoes and socks, and regularly pokes at me to get patted. I'm giving  him "K9 Glucosamine with Chondroitin and Hyaluronic Acid" to help ease his artritic hips. (The damn stuff has to be refrigerated - a dose is two teaspoons which I measure out into a 1/2 cup measuing cup and he happily (thankfully) laps it up ( it does seem to be helping - his "after-hingement" is still clunky, but he does not seem to be uncomfortable).

As our reward, he has now decided we need his protection - so he sits on the side stoop and barks at everything.

der Brucer 

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2012, 12:29:20 PM »

DR RP - I just read the only letter that survives from my grandfather.  It seems it was the Ambler Heights Sanitarium in Asheville near Edgemont Park....but it was on the Black Mountain State Highway.

In the letter, written on April 22, 1927, he encourages my grandmother to get her garden started, not to let the kids stay out too late on the cool spring evenings, pick up some potato plants he ordered, and to make sure the banker gave her the money he was supposed to.

He sends messages to all the children and promises he will be well and home soon....   They sent him home in the late summer that year - and he died on December 29.  He was 39 years old.   :'(

Thanks for sharing all of this, Jack.  I Googled "TB Sanatorium, Black Mountain NC", plus variations like replacing the location to "Buncombe County, NC".  A lot of different documents turned up indicating that this region was one of the most prolific areas for the treatment of TB and that there were as many as ten different facilities operating at any one time.

Back at the turn of the century, TB was a plague and folks either survived or succumbed.  Treatment wasn't on a par with what came by mid-century.  It's a shame your grandfather's treatment wasn't effective.  39 is too young!!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:30:54 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2012, 12:29:57 PM »

John Elway is introducing Peyton Manning in Denver.

Maybe you'll get Tebow in return.

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2012, 12:30:06 PM »

Back from the morning meeting, which was fun and went well.  Then I did the show order for the Kritzerland show - got the first two-thirds right away, but the last six numbers were driving me crazy, but I finally got it right.  Should be a fun Bob Merrill evening.

John G.

« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2012, 12:41:11 PM »

An Air Supply musical with a Downton Abbey feel. Why does that just not sound right?

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Constantine-Maroulis-to-Lead-LOST-IN-LOVE-Reading-in-April-20120320#
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2012, 12:41:20 PM »

One more.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up