There!  Much better.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:SPENT
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2004, 11:43:46 AM »

I'm TOTALLY AMAZED that Mr. BK found something to admire in Paycheck, which is perhaps the least thrilling "thriller" I've ever seen.  Affleck and Uma Thurman are leaden (no surprise) but the main problem is that the hero's cleverness is never seen.  It's a time travel piece, so he's placed items that will help him accomplish certain goals.  We don't see the placement; we see the hero with no memory, but, whenever he's in a jam, voila, the thing he needs is right there waiting for him.  I'm sure that provided some excitement in the Dick story, but this Woo movie has no laughs, no thrills, no wondering what will happen next.  My thumb is so far down on this one, I'm actually scratching the earth's core.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2004, 11:49:15 AM »

Page 3 sing and dance!
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2004, 11:57:27 AM »

Well, you see, I was expecting so little from Paycheck that I found it fun to watch, mostly because of Mr. Woo, not because of the script or its problems.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2004, 12:34:58 PM »

Alone Again, Naturally.

“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2004, 01:05:21 PM »

Thank you, DR TCB.

Finished that John Woo action film I mentioned yesterday BROKEN ARROW. I've watched and treasured the laserdisc for years, but I found the DVD for $6 used so I sprang for it even though it wasn't an anamorphic transfer. Still quite well done transfer-wise even if it was simply a port from the laserdisc. The sound I was a bit disappointed with for the first half hour thinking Fox didn't get the most out of the 5.1 sound, but suddenly, things start exploding in all directions and every speaker gets a solid workout.

Lots of fun. Not wonderful enough to be in my top shelf of action flicks but I'll watch this many more times with pleasure.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2004, 01:13:48 PM »

I'm really not a fan of action films...I tend to measure the quality of a movie in reverse proportion to the number of explosions and car chases, hehe.  Let's see though--

Run, Lola, Run
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Star Wars

I'm working at a movie theatre now (mostly doing concessions, blech), so I've gotten to see a lot of free movies lately.  I saw the remake of "Around the World in 80 Days," a few nights ago, and aside from a few cameos that I enjoyed, I really wasn't too impressed.  I've heard the original is much better; I need to check that out.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2004, 01:15:16 PM »

I also like Run, Lola, Run.  And Raiders is, of course, terrific.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2004, 01:15:56 PM »

And might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was an overcast but not drizzly Saturday.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2004, 01:29:01 PM »

Actually it is a beautiful Saturday up here in Washington.  

Well, I had a really fun time planned for yesterday, but it was not to be.  A few friends were going camping, so I decided to join them.  I woke up yesterday with what I assumed were allergies...but by the time we got out to the campsite last night, I realized that it was a bit more than that.  After a sleepless night tossing and turning, I got up at 4:30 and drove home.  I then took some cold meds and slept until 12.  I feel a bit better now, but still achy and sick.  Feels like a sinus infection...old territory for me.  Arghhh
But now I am back and caught up on the posts,  so that's good :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2004, 01:51:25 PM »

Just wanted to mention that the Chinese lunch I had today was simply superb. Buffets offer such variety, and I love mixing trying different things. They had some sort of Thai noodles today that were really excellent.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2004, 01:51:32 PM »

Weather is beautiful in Philly and in New Jersey, where I spent the morning trimming hedges and whatnot in my mother's front yard.  As I was pruning some under-branches from our huge fir tree, I spotted somthing that looked like a wadded-up ball of vomit stuck to the trunk of the tree about twelve feet up.  If my life were an action movie, I would have taken a stick and poked at it and, of course, that would have been the end of me.  But since I don't do bit parts in action movies that take place in my own life, I left it alone.

Favorite (actual) Action Moives:
Raiders of the Lost Arc I and III
The first two Star Wars films (I always hated Return of the Jedi)
La Femme Nakita
Alien and Aliens
Spider-Man
X-Men 2
The Poseidon Adventure

Time to wash up and get ready for dinner and a movie tonight with friends.  Either Shrek 2 or the new Harry Potter, though I am in the mood for something more adult-oriented.  But what is out there playing?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2004, 01:52:54 PM »

I have nothing to say - perhaps the overcast but not drizzly day has addled my brain.

Jennifer

« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2004, 02:12:59 PM »

DR Ann, that sounds terrible.  Hope you feel better soon.

Tomovoz

« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2004, 03:17:25 PM »

I prefer my action films animated... Road Runner, Bugs Bunny et. al.

I'm with you there WEL.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jason

« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2004, 03:18:06 PM »

Well, Dear Readers, you won't believe what I'm about to say. Are you ready? Are you sure you're ready? Here goes: This has been the most gorgeously gorgeous day in New York that I can think of in recent memory. It's absolutely beautiful out...not too hot...not too humid...a light breeze. I can't believe it. I wish every day could be like today.

I went shopping, Dear Readers, and I managed to spend $316.48, which ain't too bad since I was hoping to stay somewhere around $300. I got two (yes, TWO) shirts and a pair of pants at Banana Republic (thank you, Abdul, for your help) and then I headed to Times Square to pick up a pair of dress shoes at Sketchers. Each of those four items cost $78...give or take a couple of bucks...but I got a 10% discount at B.R. for opening an account with them. Huzzah!

After my day of shopping, I went to the AMC Empire and saw "The Terminal." It was pretty decent. Kinda slow on the uptake...well, throughout...but if Mr. Spielberg was hoping to give the sense of what it feels like to be waiting for something, he accomplished it. Mr. Tom Hanks was, as usual, pretty stellar and Mr. Stanley Tucci was perfectly perfect at being horrible. A few misty moments and a sense of relief when it was over--both for the character and for yourself.

I'm now listening to my brand-new copy of LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, a CD that I shamefully didn't have in my collection. I picked it up because I need to learn "The Best of Times" for DR MusicGuy's concert. I also need to learn a song from THE GRAND TOUR, but I couldn't find that CD. :-\ Oh, well...he's faxing the music to me at work, so I'll try to plunk it out on the piano there. It'd be nice to be able to hear it, though.

I have rented a few movies for this evening's entertainment (I'm just spending money all over the place, aren't I?). I rented "Around the World in 80 Days" (the original), "Wet, Hot American Summer" starring our very own Jason Graae's friend David Hyde Pierce and for some reason I decided to pick up "Bridget Jones' Diary." Don't ask my why--I don't know. And now, I think, it is time for some food and a flick.

François de Paris

« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2004, 03:21:09 PM »

Schwarzie, err, sorry, Governor Schwarzenegger a homophobe? ???

That's preposterous!
I'm shocked!

Arnold, err, sorry, Mr Schwarzenegger, I mean Governor Schwarzenegger is a decent man; a hero, a loving husband, who adores birds and bees, and little children, hates drugs, violence etc, etc....

... and whoever spreads rumors like that is a liar and mean!
Mr Schwarzenegger is from the Old Europe, hence can only be a good and decent gentleman; let it be known! ;)

Oh.... I saw Last Action Hero when it came out (... of the closet?!) here, in a fancy, huge, air-conditioned theater on the Champs Elysées...
I left frozen from the cold inside and with a huge headache from the blasting soudtrack music, thinking the kid in the movie was good and Mr Not Yet Governor of California was... electable!! :D

Action Movies are not really my cup of wine; I did like the first Indiana Jones epic, but thought the second episode -- Temple of DOOM (that says it all!) was quite evil and unnecessary violent...

Spiderman is ok but pretty violent too!

Peace and love! :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 04:01:40 PM by François de Paris »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2004, 03:26:58 PM »

Good Afternoon!

-Well, mine hasn't been too good...

I went up to school to get some more piano practice in.  However, it's very hard to practice your Bach and Haydn when the music you left in the studio on the piano yesterday is no longer there when you step into the studio.  And I've been leaving my music on the piano for the past few weeks - actually, I used to leave my music in the studio all the time - that's what it's there for!  I'm just hoping that another person in the studio - I still use my piano teacher's studio - has just borrowed my music for the night and/or weekend.

Normally, I wouldn't be too upset about missing music, but I happen to be missing four volumes from my very nice, pristine library of Henle Editions - in hardcover!  Each volume runs about $50.00 each, and since I'm missing four of them - three Bach, one Haydn... You do the math.  They truly are beautiful editions.  And they better be there when I go back tomorrow and/or Monday!

However, I did so some scale work today.  Reviewed my C Major, and went on to F Major and G Major.  -My fingers are really starting to get back to proper playing condition. :)  I also played through the transcription of "The Carousel Waltz" - wow! there are a lot of notes.  It's a beautiful transcription, and even though there are the requisite virtuosic flourishes, the heart of the music remains intact.  I may make it one of those "learn a few measures" at a time execise/piece.  And I think I'm going to put "Hello Young Lovers" on my "must learn" list this summer.  It's just short enough - three pages - and most of the technical passages are withing my current technical grasp.

*As I mentioned yesterday, these transcriptions are by Stephen Hough, an amazing English pianist.  He has two albums of miniatures and encore pieces simply entitled "The Piano Album, No. 1" and "The Piano Album, No. 2".  Quite a wonderful and varied selection, and the playing is a true example of effortless virtuosity.  There are two R&H transcriptions on each album alongside some other transcriptions and standard - and not so standard - classical repertoire.  The "March of the Siamese" children is the other R&H song that he has transcribed.

After all of that, I tried going through my teacher's library, pulling copies of the Bach and Haydn I've been studying.  However, she didn't have the same edition.  I tried reading through the Haydn, but it just didn't feel the same, because it didn't look the same.  Every time I would look up at the page, I was just reminded of my missing music.  After a read through of the first movement of the Haydn, I packed my stuff up and headed out.  *And on the piano, I left a note that simply said, "Please return the hardcover Henle editions.  Thank you, Jose".

I really did want to get some more practicing in today too.  Ah, well...

On the way back to the apartment, I treated myself to another bubble tea.  Today's flavor: Tapioca Cappucino.  And I also stopped at the Chinese take out place (again) and picked up a Mala Chicken Combo for dinner.  (It was very good.)  -All this talk of Chinese food this past week.

So, now I'm back at my apartment.  I had my Chinese food dinner, and I started a load of laundry.  And I'm feeling very mopey right now.  I was planning on heading back up to Fairfax tonight so that I could spend Father's Day tomorrow with my family, but now I'm not so sure.  -I also called home this afternoon, and, apparently, there are no Father's Day plans/festivities planned for tomorrow, so...  And I also have to go up next weekend anyway, so...  We'll see how I feel after I get the laundry done since I wasn't planning on heading up until it got dark - and cooler.

I WANT MY MUSIC BACK!!!!

>:( :( :-\ :'(
 :( :-\ :'( >:(
 :-\ :'( >:( :(
 :'( >:( :( :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

François de Paris

« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2004, 03:28:35 PM »

Bridget Jones????

I did not know Indiana got married? When?!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2004, 03:31:39 PM »

DR Jason - Don't you just love those perfect days in NYC?  Love 'em!

It's actually not too bad here in Richmond either.  It could be a few degrees cooler, but nothing to complain about.  It's supposed to be in the mid-70s tomorrow.  I'm very much looking forward to that.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2004, 03:33:06 PM »

DR Ann - I hope you're continuing to feel better.  Many of those sure-to-cure-ya' HHW Good Health Vibes being sent your way!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2004, 03:38:03 PM »

RE: "The Last Action Hero"

Wasn't that the movie where the filmmakers got "lazy" during the filming that they went ahead and left all the continuity errors intact for the final release?  I seem to recall a promotion where they had a contest to see which filmgoer could spot the most continuity errors in the film.  I guess that insured some sort of repeat business.  Alas, I don't think that many people entered the contest, but someone did win.  And the number of errors was quite high - again, if I recall correctly.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2004, 03:40:34 PM »

Considering they were predicting nearly 90 degrees with 93% humidity and a chance of storms, yes, this has turned out to be a perfect day with the current temperature at 77 with 52% humidity. I can't complain.

François de Paris

« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2004, 03:47:52 PM »

RE: "The Last Action Hero"

Wasn't that the movie where the filmmakers got "lazy" during the filming that they went ahead and left all the continuity errors intact for the final release?  I seem to recall a promotion where they had a contest to see which filmgoer could spot the most continuity errors in the film.  I guess that insured some sort of repeat business.  Alas, I don't think that many people entered the contest, but someone did win.  And the number of errors was quite high - again, if I recall correctly.

That shows the respect they had for their craft and the moviegoers! >:(

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2004, 03:49:35 PM »

I'm currently watch the Discovery Home Channel.  And the show I'm currently watching is "Cooking with Heart and Soul" which happens to be an import from Australia.  DR Tomovoz - and DR Colin - any opinions?  *Of course, I'm going to have to convert all the metric measurements for my home use.

This is the first time I've seen the show, but they've been running promos for the past couple of weeks - it just started over here in the States.  So far, so good.  Kylie Kwong, the hostess, is Chinese-Australian, and on this episode she's preparing a Chinese-style roast chicken and some Moroccan lamb.  Quite eclectic.

OH!  And after checking the Discovery Home channels website, I see that there will be a "Designer Guys" coming up on Monday.  Hmmm...  It would be interesting to see these two guys get together with "Queer Eye's" "fab five".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2004, 03:52:08 PM »

-I still want my music back! :(
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2004, 04:05:33 PM »

DR Jose: Ms Kwong's programme was quite popular - she is not as "correct" as some TV chefs - she really does seem to realise that enjoyment is important.
Colin says that she doesn't use much chocoalte in recipes so why are they of interest to you?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2004, 04:07:48 PM »

Our favourite TV Chef is England's Ainsley Harriott.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 04:09:30 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2004, 04:11:04 PM »

DR Jose,

I haven't found your music books -- silly goose! Why didn't you keep expensive stuff like that with you? -- but this link is for you!

http://abc.net.au/kyliekwong/

Jason

« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2004, 04:11:51 PM »

Jose: I've been practicing a lot this week and I can completely understand what you mean when you say you're a little rusty at the "classical" stuff. I've been singing through "If I Loved You" and "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning" trying to get ready for this concert and I can tell ya...I can tell that I've been singing poppier scores of late. The high notes aren't too hard, but the lower register is slowly disappearing. I guess that's good, since I am more of a tenor than anything else, but still...those baritone songs are getting tough! I can't imagine if I had to sing an aria right now! But it sure feels good to be really PRACTICING rather than just singing through stuff. Makes me realize how much I've missed this stuff. But "Just In Time" is a little low for my taste. I hope I'll be miked...otherwise they'll never hear me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up