Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHIPPING NEWS  (Read 13860 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: THE SHIPPING NEWS
« Reply #150 on: March 27, 2012, 07:06:09 PM »

'night

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2012, 07:12:36 PM »

Just finished watching "Sweet Charity" all the way through for the first time in ages. The movie is too realistic and as a result, too sad. The opening where she's pushed in the water is horrifying, not funny. And Shirley just isn't good enough as a dancer.

Isn't it supposed to be sad?  I'm not a fan of the movie though I have nothing else to compare the story to.
It plays more like a comedy on stage. that could be the Neil Simon libretto.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2012, 07:22:29 PM »

If you are not familiar with the 1985 version....well, just click here for the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBr5oyjKsdQ

You'll be happy that you did!  ;D

That's very...interesting.

;)

Decidedly different.

I did understand the lyric of "Tarzan, my Tarzan," but I couldn't quite understand why she kept singing "Ho." Unless it was something introspective that just didn't translate.

I thought she was singing "You Tarzan, Me Hefty."

I know now why Schubert operas are never performed now: beautiful music with no sense of drama, theatrics, pacing, comedy, or sense. I thought my friend did a great job of trying to keep it afloat and there were good funny bits. the student cast sang beautifully, and the leading lady was quite wonderful. It's a good piece for a student production, since I doubt any major company will ever produce iit, and it was accompanied very well by a student orchestra of around 25 players. I'm glad I saw it, and I'm happy that my friend is doing so well with the Manhattan School of Music opera dept. She's good for them.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2012, 07:28:21 PM »

Love this clip of Julian Ovenden and Sierra Boggess:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lwp-F4tM6Q

This is the Rodgers & Hammerstein Proms conducted by my friend John Wilson. My friends Rdney Gilfry and Kim Criswell in the whle thing, which I've got on DVD. Sierra is someone I really want to work with. She's wonderful, and I'm hoping we can get Ovenden for August. He's fantastic.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2012, 07:36:01 PM »

DR John G, if you go to youtube and type in Julian's name, there's a video clip of him in DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY, also a lot of clips from the Sondheim Proms concert, and the Solloquoy from the same R&H concert with Sierra. Sierra's sister is a friend of mine, a cellist.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #155 on: March 27, 2012, 07:38:33 PM »

Bedtime.

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #156 on: March 27, 2012, 07:40:20 PM »

Jennifer, no favorites yet for DANCING WITH THE STARS?

My favorites are Mark and Katherine (I think that is her name). I just love her. She is a fabulous dancer. And she is just the sweetest person. I think she is gonna end up being my favorite to win.

Sherri and Val. I watch The View, so I already like Sherri. I know she has wanted to do the show for a long time. She is just so excited to be on the show. And she acts every number. And she smiles thru every number. Plus she also has rhythm. I love her attitude. And she's doing pretty well.

Jennifer

« Reply #157 on: March 27, 2012, 07:43:37 PM »

I don't know if I like dystopia books.  I enjoys the movies.

Dystopia is the biggest craze in YA right now. And one of my favorite categories. I can't get enough of it.

I know really know if any of these books would be your cup of tea. I don't suspect you read much YA. The biggest dystopian book of last year was probably Divergent by Veronica Roth.

Laura

« Reply #158 on: March 27, 2012, 07:46:42 PM »

Dystopia is the biggest craze in YA right now. And one of my favorite categories. I can't get enough of it.

I know really know if any of these books would be your cup of tea. I don't suspect you read much YA. The biggest dystopian book of last year was probably Divergent by Veronica Roth.

I am totally lost.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #159 on: March 27, 2012, 07:48:52 PM »

If anyone is interested in the financials on J Michael Tuscan Steakhouse in Northport, New York, just let me know.  It seems like someone has mistyped Kaufman as Kauffman and is including me on their cash reconciliation documents, despite the fact that I have called them and informed them of the error.

oooh - can you arrange a nice gift card for me?  This is very close to my home!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Laura

« Reply #160 on: March 27, 2012, 07:49:06 PM »

I still occasionally post photos on my photo blog when I see something interesting. www.andthisiswhatisawtoday.blogspot.com

And someone from this site posted a very nice review of my blog on a blog review site back when I had just started it. Whoever you are, thank you very much!

Laura

« Reply #161 on: March 27, 2012, 07:50:14 PM »

I didn't have my camera handy today when I saw the monarch that had just eclosed in my backyard.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2012, 07:52:14 PM »

I've read the book, and the one error that really struck me is you referencing your Maguire Sisters take on "Another Hundred People", which was actually "Not Getting Married." (I flew through the book - I thought it was marvelous.

Oops.  Well, can't catch 'em all :)  Glad you liked! So, that's now two factual errors we know of - hopefully no more.  And at least Sondheim had a few in his books :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:53:49 PM by bk »

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2012, 08:04:58 PM »

falling asleep  vibes for all
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

John G.

« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2012, 08:13:48 PM »

Just finishing up Robert Altman's "A Perfect Couple." Love the romance. Hate the music and Ted Neeley.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #165 on: March 27, 2012, 08:13:57 PM »

Night, all.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #166 on: March 27, 2012, 08:19:11 PM »

'night!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #167 on: March 27, 2012, 08:24:35 PM »

I am totally lost.

Which part? YA = young adult books.
Dystopia is a newish genre in YA set in the future where the main character has struggles, society is often in a  repressed state.

MBarnum

« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2012, 08:25:39 PM »

This is from Australia's Got talent - an apprentice plumber does a strip but while not a great singer, for a stripper, he's not that bad a singer - and the judges let his "act' go on

Very entertaining, though maybe partly NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-d-k85kvrQ 

Rather cocky (pardon the expression).

I would buy his album.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #169 on: March 27, 2012, 09:04:37 PM »

TCB:

re: miniscule font size.  I did not know about this until Betsy and the kids showed me, but you can easily adjust font size by "pulling" out from the center of a page until it's as big as you want/need.  Just put your thumb and preferred finger ( ;) ) together and then pull them apart out toward the edge of the screen and the font will increase in size.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: March 27, 2012, 09:58:24 PM »

Well, someone must be buying the softcover of the new book on amazon - it was formerly at number 863,000 in the sales rank and is now at 38, 400 or something.  Love that - and a very good deal right now at almost ten bucks off list price.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #171 on: March 27, 2012, 10:58:55 PM »

I've read the book, and the one error that really struck me is you referencing your Maguire Sisters take on "Another Hundred People", which was actually "Not Getting Married." (I flew through the book - I thought it was marvelous.

Actually, the actual title is "Getting Married Today."

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2012, 11:01:08 PM »

Well, I'm off to a special TAO board meeting.  We lost our performing space and need to figure out what to do.  Fortunately, we have some time (we weren't supposed to start rehearsals for "Titus Andronicus" until May), but probably just about anything we find will cost more than what we had.  Wish us luck!!

Be back later.
"Titus Andronicus"! I love it. I saw an outer space rock musical version of it about the time that "Star Wars" came out. I think even at 10 or 12, I knew it was cheesy when a character grabbed a microphone out of a rock before he started to sing. But, hey, it was a foodie musical with that pie featuring the queen's two sons. Yeah!

Cool...our version won't be a musical, though.  It'll be cut down, but it'll all be Shakespeare's original language.  The concept, however, will be based on "Sons of Anarchy." 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2012, 11:01:38 PM »

And we're a Nook book now at Barnes and Noble - is that all of them?  Kindle, Sony, and Nook?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2012, 11:02:12 PM »

At least I erred with a three-word title :)

Who will be first to post a review of the book?

George

« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2012, 11:11:53 PM »

If there are any typos left in this book you'll have to take it up with the THREE people who proofed it - then you can take it up with me, because I also proofed it three times.  However, if there are any left, we're in very good company with John Steinbeck, James Agee, J.K. Rowling (the queen of typos and mistakes - her proofers ought to be run out of town on a rail), etc.

I did notice on the Kindle version some weird formatting things.

I didn't find any spelling mistakes, just a few rogue spaces ("So ndheim") and hyphens ("Sond-heim") and paragraph breaks. :)

Those are ALL Kindle problems - there are no problems like that in the printed book - anywhere.  The reason it does that has to do with where lines are breaking in the eBook - if, for example, in the printed book an end of sentence reads Stephen Sond- and the "heim" is hyphenated to the following line, then the eBook doesn't correct that should the line fall in the middle of a sentence rather than the end - it's weird but I suppose they'd have to go through by hand to correct every one of those things and there are probably a lot - it's why I don't really do eBooks.  But rest assured, there are 0 formatting issues in the real book.

I wondered if that was why the mistakes were the kind that they were.  So far, it's been fun to read. :)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up