Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: MERRILL-LY WE ROLL ALONG  (Read 39197 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: MERRILL-LY WE ROLL ALONG
« Reply #180 on: March 29, 2012, 07:42:56 PM »

Page seven!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #181 on: March 29, 2012, 08:04:47 PM »

Night, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: March 29, 2012, 08:22:49 PM »

I hope DR ELMORE gives us the PIPE DREAM report.

Be careful what you wish for,DR JRand61.  I stayed awake, I wept through much of the score: the orchestrations are so brilliant and some of the songs - "Everybody's Got A Home," "Sweet Thursday," "The Next Time It Happens" - are just glorious and heartbreaking. The charts bt Russell Bennett and hsi team are funny, romatic,band often merely ravishing. Second rate Rodgers - and there a couple of low raters (not as low as ME AND JULIET!) is still better than a lot of first raters writing today, and Rb Berman and the orchestra just make it sparkle.

Th book is pretty bad, but full of heart: these skid row bums are endearing and dumb, the local cop's a good chum, the whores all have enormous golden hearts, and the plot limps to a weak conclusion, thanks to a really fantastic cast and staging: I loved Tom Wopat and his malaprops, Leslie Uggams had really wonderful moments as a madam running her whorehouse like a den mother for brownies, I think Will Chase can do littlw wrong, and Id never seen Laura Osnes before and I thought she was wnderful. It was exactly the kind of show Encores! should do: a mediocre show that would never get a major revival but needed to be seen on the strength of its creative team. I really look forward to the recording.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 08:26:02 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: March 29, 2012, 08:30:44 PM »

If anyone's staying up to watch Letterman, I understand the cast of ONCE is performing a number.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #184 on: March 29, 2012, 08:37:12 PM »

DR Cillaliz - your friend just looks like he'd have a voice.  I hope the service is everything he'd want it to be and that it's comforting for his family and friends.

Ginny, I really didn't know him.  He meant a lot to the community, though, so I'm glad I can be a part of the memorial service

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #185 on: March 29, 2012, 09:42:48 PM »

Goodreads is having a drawing for a free copy of my Maurice Chevalier one-person play.

If you're interested in entering, here is the link:

http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/23361-chevalier

You can dream…or you can do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: March 29, 2012, 10:09:52 PM »

Watched the first half of A Night to Remember - quite a wonderful movie.  I'll finish it up tomorrow. 

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #187 on: March 29, 2012, 11:33:22 PM »

If anyone's staying up to watch Letterman, I understand the cast of ONCE is performing a number.

I set my DVR to record it.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #188 on: March 29, 2012, 11:38:33 PM »

Well, I must now leave.  I'm off to the theater to see a silent "Peter Pan" and hear some live organ music (and that's not a euphemism)!

Be back later!

That should be fun! I haven't been to see any of the silent films here in quite some time. They draw a pretty good crowd, surprisingly enough!

More than I expected, actually.  There were a little over 300 pre-sold tickets.  It looked like there was some walk-up business, so it could've had more.  The organist, Dennis James, talked about the movie and how it was rediscovered.  It was a delightful movie and I found that it's available on DVD!  The DVD has an original score, but the reviews seem to like it.  I'm thinking about getting it.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #189 on: March 30, 2012, 12:11:02 AM »

I just woke up thinking its my normal time to get up. Went to BK notes: yesterday. Came here: Still open.

It wasn't unti l I looked at time to see the reason why!
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up