Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MERRILL-LY WE ROLL ALONG  (Read 39185 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: MERRILL-LY WE ROLL ALONG
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2012, 11:55:50 AM »

Thank you, all, for the vibes! I'm bummed because Ovenden would have been a real casting coup, and it would have been nice to get his name on the recording and get a good leading man for future recordings. It's his loss!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2012, 11:57:46 AM »

This song has been running through my mind the past couple of days.    Who, here, remembers The Sopwith Camel?  Or the hit single by Andy Williams' former wife Claudine Longet:

Hello Hello

I like your smile

Hello, Hello

Shall We Talk A While?

Would you like some of my tangerine?

You know I'll never treat you mean..oh, no

You know I'll never treat you mean.

Ron - I assume it's related in some way to SOPWITH THE CAMEL from this Muppets clip  :)

Helen Reddy & Sopwith the Camel - "We'll Sing in the Sunshine"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImgP9zM84yQ

FJL

« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2012, 11:59:52 AM »

Ms. Reddy could move, couldn't she?  And so could Sopwith!

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2012, 12:03:36 PM »

that's a new one on me, Jennifer, but I wonder if, with the sauce on it, you might have been able to soften it in a microwave? I don't have a microwave, so don't hold me to that. I like your idea, since it had oil on it, of using the wok.

I didn't want to put it in the microwave because i didn't want to ruin the sauce that was still on it (since it is a cold dish). At first i was going to wash off the excess sauce and just boil the noodles. But i'm glad i didn't do that.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2012, 12:04:36 PM »

Last night, DR George posted:
Then tomorrow night, I'm ushering for the 1924 silent movie, Peter Pan, as part of the Washington Center for the Performing Art's Silent Movie Series with Dennis James on the Wurlitzer Theater Organ

I believe that is the version that my dear dear friend, Sharry O'Hare, was in playing Peter!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2012, 12:05:39 PM »

I almost had a big cooking disaster.  This morning I was making a pasta salad for tonight. When i cooked the pasta, right after i took it out, i put it under freezing cold water, thinking that then i could just mix it with the rest of the ingredients right away.

Well i had tasted the pasta hot and it tasted fine. But after i mixed it with the other ingredients, the past was hard and uncooked. And it was already mixed with oil and vinegar and everything.

I don't know what happened. MAybe it was a bit undercooked when i first tested it hot. Maybe the cold water did something to it.

Anyhow I ended up separating the pasta from the other ingredients (it was still lightly coated with oil, vinegar.... and i put it in a wok. ANd just kept stirring it (i added a bit extra olive oil to the pan).  I think it cooked it the rest of the way through. So i am pretty sure it is alright.

Has anybody else had this happen to them before? Is it a big no-no to put the pasta under the freezing cold water right away? Was it bad to mix it right away? I know last time i made pasta salad i let the pasta cool before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients.

I've never heard of putting pasta under "freezing" cold water.  I've always just read to put it under cool or cold, but not freezing.  Maybe that just re-hardened it because it was so cold.

Just a guess.

Well i don't know if it was freezing cold. I just turned the cold water on full blast. I had also heard of putting it under cool water to stop the cooking. But it really made it way too hard.

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2012, 12:06:42 PM »

I almost had a big cooking disaster.  This morning I was making a pasta salad for tonight. When i cooked the pasta, right after i took it out, i put it under freezing cold water, thinking that then i could just mix it with the rest of the ingredients right away.

Well i had tasted the pasta hot and it tasted fine. But after i mixed it with the other ingredients, the past was hard and uncooked. And it was already mixed with oil and vinegar and everything.

I don't know what happened. MAybe it was a bit undercooked when i first tested it hot. Maybe the cold water did something to it.

Anyhow I ended up separating the pasta from the other ingredients (it was still lightly coated with oil, vinegar.... and i put it in a wok. ANd just kept stirring it (i added a bit extra olive oil to the pan).  I think it cooked it the rest of the way through. So i am pretty sure it is alright.

Has anybody else had this happen to them before? Is it a big no-no to put the pasta under the freezing cold water right away? Was it bad to mix it right away? I know last time i made pasta salad i let the pasta cool before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients.

I've never heard of putting pasta under "freezing" cold water.  I've always just read to put it under cool or cold, but not freezing.  Maybe that just re-hardened it because it was so cold.

Just a guess.

I never, Never, NEVER rinse pasta in water.   I haven't even seen the recommendation on a pasta box in decades!

I actually sometimes rinse it in hot water if it is day old. It makes it better when i microwave it.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2012, 12:07:09 PM »

I'm really surprised that no books have arrived, at least none we're hearing about.  Priority is priority and they were all at the post office by noon on Tuesday.

Package JUST arrived.  And here's today's Quote O' the Day, courtesy of Zach, who looked at the book through the bubble wrap, saw the illustration, and asked:

"Is that Jesus?"   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2012, 12:12:16 PM »

Good morning, all! Another fitful night of sleep: too much DEAREST ENEMY tsuris, I suspect. An inquiry has been sent out for our leading lady, I'm happy to hear. I am concerned about the situation with our juvenile lead; Oevnden was a great idea, but my Dublin agents don't move so fast as I'd like - I've been pushing for castng availability since mid-February and now it's the end of March! - but I have my fingers crossed it will work out. Keep them Ovenden vibes coming!

So, at 5:45 I was ready to get out of bed and get to work: I'm listening to the masters of the Herbert CDs 1&2 on my iTunes now. I have to hit Toyland this morning and use the scanner. When I return, I will listen to CDs 3&4 on my stereo system, so I can give a thumbs up or down to New World Records. I hope to nap a bit: tonight I'm seeing PIPE DREAM at Encores! and I'd like to be awake for it.

That's my day. I need my meds.

And coffee!

~~~~~~~~~~ Overdone Ovenden vibes for DR Elmore~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2012, 12:14:23 PM »

I believe I had what is known as a tantrum last night.

Hope that does not happen again.

:-[

I'm sorry about  that, Sam.  Hopefully never again, but I hope you enjoyed it while you were having it.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2012, 12:15:43 PM »

They have me on 7 second delay.  ;)

I wish we could do that.
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2012, 12:17:08 PM »

Mine just arrived. I haven't opened it yet. I'm trying to hear all these guys on youtube. I miss good ol' theatrical singing over this Andrew Lloyd Webber whispering and simpering crap. And when some of them do sing out, it's clear there was never a vocal coach in the room.  Several Raouls have crashed and burned in my computer, but I won't embarrass them by name.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 02:48:08 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2012, 12:18:34 PM »

TOD:

Ouzo
A personal favorite. My sister hauls out the bottle at about 10 each morning for a little way to greet the rest of the day. A most civilized habit.

Do we have the same sister?
“One thing’s universal,

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2012, 12:22:29 PM »

Mine just arrived. I haven't opened it yet. I'm trying to hear all these guys on youtube. I miss good ol' theatrical singing over this Andrew Lloyd Webber whispering and simpering crap. And when some of them do sing out, it's clear there wasnever a vocal coach in the room.  Several Raouls have crashed and burned in my computer, but I won't embarrass them by name.

The only good Raul was Steve Barton.  The rest just suck... especially John Barrowman, who whines his way through everything. 

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2012, 12:25:40 PM »

The notes to that ad mention that the ad was directed by Michael Cimino!!!!

Good grief.  How long was that commercial unedited?
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2012, 12:30:57 PM »

I found this advice at a site called DeLallo in a section called Pasta 101:

"NO Rinsing. Pasta should never, ever be rinsed. The starch in the water is what helps the sauce of your choice adhere to your pasta. The only time you should ever rinse your pasta is when you are going to use it in a cold dish like a pasta salad or when you are not going to use it immediately. In cases such as those, rinsing the pasta helps to stop the cooking process. Drain well before storing."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2012, 12:47:01 PM »

Well, dammit! We lost Julian Ovenden, so I'm back to the Brit juvenile search. I've got them checking out the schedule of Hadley Fraser, the Raoul on the Royal Albert Hall PHANTOM OF THE OPERA with Sierra Boggess, but I need to have a couple of other possibilities up my proverbial sleeve in case. I'm checking out youtube clips for Will Barratt, Killian donnelly, and Simon Bailey,

How about FJLs favorite, Eric Ankrim, who seems to be the actor du jour in Seattle Musicals?

http://www.reacttheatre.org/artist/ericankrim.html

“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2012, 12:50:08 PM »

Well, it's official.  Our library's director has been let go...with cause. ::)

We can now move forward to find a replacement.  Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

Break a leg landing that job, George!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2012, 12:54:34 PM »

I also just received from Amazon the original cast recording to The Minister's Wife and a micro memory card. :D

Never heard of it.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2012, 01:05:32 PM »

I'll let Squigs know he can also market the caricature as Jesus.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2012, 01:05:49 PM »

Mine just arrived. I haven't opened it yet. I'm trying to hear all these guys on youtube. I miss good ol' theatrical singing over this Andrew Lloyd Webber whispering and simpering crap. And when some of them do sing out, it's clear there wasnever a vocal coach in the room.  Several Raouls have crashed and burned in my computer, but I won't embarrass them by name.

I did not like the Raoul that was on the POTO Anniversary Special.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2012, 01:07:16 PM »

Had a bacon cheeseburger for lunch.  Will go to the mail place in about an hour.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2012, 01:07:41 PM »

And glad to hear packages are arriving and look forward to hearing thoughts and reading reviews. 

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2012, 01:16:28 PM »

I'll let Squigs know he can also market the caricature as Jesus.

Well I think it also obviously opens up a whole new career for you as a celebrity impersonator.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2012, 01:23:58 PM »

Thursday afternoon greetings!  I slept quite late this morning and had to be at the hairdresser's at noon for a perm.  My Kritzerland box was waiting for me when I got home and I love, love, love the special gift!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2012, 01:24:24 PM »

Sorry about the casting woes, DR Elmore!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2012, 01:29:08 PM »

We can now move forward to find a replacement.  Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

Not in a million years. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2012, 01:30:38 PM »

Smart, DR George.  I'm so sorry your library system has to go through this.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2012, 01:34:42 PM »

Smart, DR George.  I'm so sorry your library system has to go through this.

Thanks...in our staff meeting this morning, they mentioned that a couple of libraries on the east side of the state used consulting firms to find their directors.  They're thinking about getting information and maybe talking to those libraries to see how well the process went.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2012, 01:35:49 PM »

They have me on 7 second delay.  ;)

I wish we could do that.

You can, Tom!  Every time you're moved to respond to something, stop and hold your breath for 7 seconds.  Then type or talk.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up