Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FOR THE BIRDS  (Read 47743 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: FOR THE BIRDS
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2012, 10:29:44 AM »

Notes by Noon starring Greer Garson and Robert Taylor.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2012, 10:29:56 AM »

Page Three Dance....

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2012, 10:30:39 AM »

I've finished my ROBERTA notes for Act One, which will hopefully put things on track. My absence from the restoration - because of DEAREST ENEMY, Toyland closing down, a new office, an auction, and other things - is nt making things easy for my colleagues.

Now I've got to look over some of Joshie's new scores for DEAREST ENEMY before I jump to THE ONLY GIRL, which has one of Herbert's most beautiful songs, "When You're Away." This is the second conductor I've worked for - john McGlinn was the first - with no music theory training and no ability to proofread and know a good note from a bad. Drives me mad. Leasrn your craft.
If they don't know their craft or music theory, how do (and why do) they become conductors?

Ego and control, I suspect.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2012, 10:30:57 AM »

It is very windy today, and my empty trash cans were blown out into the middle of the street.....I had on the wrong shoes to be chasing trash cans and trash can lids....but I did.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2012, 10:32:22 AM »

Maybe he answered an ad looking for a conductor and thought he was being hired by the B & O Railroad.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2012, 10:36:31 AM »

Maybe he answered an ad looking for a conductor and thought he was being hired by the B & O Railroad.

He's a good person most of the time, but there are moments when his sense of entitlement really irks me.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2012, 10:49:26 AM »

I'm a little surprised that Guy Haines hasn't been asked to sing on any of elmore's albums - not that he could afford him :)

FJL

« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2012, 10:54:03 AM »

Somehow I don't feel comfortable being asked to send our SS numbers, signatures, DOBs and all that other personal stuff over the innerwebs. Just doesn't seem very secure to me.

I don't mind doing the e-filing that is included in Turbo Tax because of the encryption involved.  I would be more hesitant to use the state tax websites where you plunk your info into web forms because I don't know how protected they are.

I have been well-trained by my son to never click on a link in an email unless I know the friend actually sent it, not to open any forwarded email, and to never send my SS number or credit card number through an email.

Why never open forwarded email?  (seriously wondering)

Ginny

« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2012, 11:05:48 AM »

Off to the grocery - bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2012, 11:08:07 AM »

I bit the bullet (no mean feat) and paid all my taxes today.  Oy and vey.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2012, 11:11:33 AM »

Notes by Noon starring Greer Garson and Robert Taylor.....

I saw that movie.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2012, 11:20:39 AM »

From DR Jennifer:
I liked it okay. I won it on goodreads. It probably would not have been something i would have chosen otherwise. Not really what i read. I do not think I would consider it YA or dystopian. But it has been a while since i read it. I am sure if you look on goodreads it would tell you what category they would put it in. Maybe fantasy.

I got it free from Nook Friday & agree it was ok.  Reading the descriptions for dystopian I wasn't sure if it was a fit.  Thanks for clarifying it for me. 

Michael

« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2012, 11:22:15 AM »

Im at the aeroport waiting for my flight back to the USA.
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2012, 11:22:35 AM »

From DR George:
The frosting was vanilla and the cupcakes turned out to be just vanilla, also.

I've never had vegan vanilla cupcakes.  I would like to have had one. :)

Jane

« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2012, 11:23:17 AM »

I don't know about the U.S. but in the U.K. today is a holiday. Holidays in Europe are lengthy and this one has been going on since Thursday afternoon.

What is the holiday?

Michael

« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2012, 11:23:49 AM »

I wonder of bk's caged bird was a meadowlark.
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2012, 11:24:35 AM »

The phone conversation last night lasted nearly three hours, from 4:25 to 7:15. It was good. I think we now have an office,

:)

Jane

« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2012, 11:27:38 AM »

DR JANE - I think Morley Safer said at the beginning of 60 MINUTES that they would have the whole show dedicated to Mike Wallace next week - they are putting together some of this "best" interviews.....they'll have to go back A LONG time to find some of those.

Thanks.  After I signed off last night Keith said it would be next week.  We used to watch 60 MINUTES every week and then got out of the habit.  A few months ago we began recording it again.  We check out the opening to see what the stories are & then only watch those of interest to us.  I'm sure we will be watching the entire show next week.

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2012, 11:33:51 AM »

From DR Jennifer:
I liked it okay. I won it on goodreads. It probably would not have been something i would have chosen otherwise. Not really what i read. I do not think I would consider it YA or dystopian. But it has been a while since i read it. I am sure if you look on goodreads it would tell you what category they would put it in. Maybe fantasy.

I got it free from Nook Friday & agree it was ok.  Reading the descriptions for dystopian I wasn't sure if it was a fit.  Thanks for clarifying it for me. 

If you click on my goodreads account you can see what i wrote about it. I wrote a pretty detailed "review". I can't remember everything about the book. But i just saw in my review that there was something about the ending that i did not care for.

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2012, 11:34:22 AM »

I don't know about the U.S. but in the U.K. today is a holiday. Holidays in Europe are lengthy and this one has been going on since Thursday afternoon.

What is the holiday?

Easter Monday?

Here the schools are off today and tomorrow for easter.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2012, 11:35:03 AM »

DR Jane re: your question last night about the book BLUE. Now that i am at my computer i went to goodreads. They consider the book fantasy/contemporary.  That is also how i would classify it.

I personally would not classify it as YA. Since the story isn't really YA and the story is a lot about the father (and he is one of the narrators).  It definitely isn't dystopia. This book is set in the present. Dystopia is set in the future. Also this book had a fantasy land. Dystopia is not usually any fantasy. Sometimes it can be set in the future where there might be a spaceship or something else we don't have. Plus in dystopia there are struggles. Whereas this book was very contemporary. Hope that makes some sense.

Yes and thank you for checking into it & the explanations. 

The more I learn about dystopia books the more I think I might prefer watching movies with this theme than reading them.

From the list of books you suggested I decided "Wither" looks the most interesting.  I plan to get it at some point but for now it isn't available at the eBooks library.

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2012, 11:35:17 AM »

I was supposed to get Breaking Dawn part 1 from the library on Friday. But whoever had it decided to keep it for the long weekend.

I will hopefully watch it tonight or tomorrow.

Jane

« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2012, 11:36:21 AM »

And does anyone still wear a hat?

I've been cleaning my closet shelves & just reorganized my hat collection.  I have way too many hats.  I managed to part with 3 of them I don't like anymore.  The rest I had to keep.

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2012, 11:36:27 AM »

DR Jane, Wither is one of my most favorite dystopians. Loved it. I gave it 5/5. I can't say enough good things about it. I love love love the author Lauren DeStefano.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2012, 11:36:39 AM »

TOD:

I'm 71 f**king years old, and you expect me to remember my childhood nursery rhymes!?!

:P

I can't even remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

;)

;D

Jane

« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2012, 11:38:04 AM »

TOD:  I never took Nursery Rhymes literally, but I have always found "Three Blind Mice" to be disturbing.

I thought nursery rhymes were originally mean to be disturbing, in a fun sort of way.

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2012, 11:38:42 AM »

I hope that i will love Breaking Dawn. But since all the movies have different directors there is no telling what i will think.

I liked Twilight just so-so. Then liked New Moon better. And loved Eclipse.

The story in Breaking Dawn is very good (loved the book). Although it has been quite a few years now since i've read the Twilight Saga.

Jane

« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2012, 11:38:54 AM »

Had a very vivid dream last night in which I was in my old civil service job and had been made redundant with no financial recompense. I was complaining that I'd been there for very many years and was only 3 years from retirement - how could they do this to me? They offered me a couple of job application forms. One was for a vehicle tire company and one for a job in Australia!! I woke up with relief to realise I had already retired.

:)

Jane

« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2012, 11:40:28 AM »

No word yet on the hospital releasing Mom to rehab.  It may be that they will keep her there for a few days more because they increased her thyroid meds dosage and because they are so taken by her wit.

It is easier to do rehab when one's thyroid if functioning properly.

"and because they are so taken by her wit." :)

Jane

« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2012, 11:44:21 AM »

Im at the aeroport waiting for my flight back to the USA.

SAFE & EASY TRAVELING!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up