Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NON-WEAK WEEK  (Read 21561 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE NON-WEAK WEEK
« on: June 21, 2004, 12:03:45 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've factored in their deepest meanings, you know that we will not accept a weak week, and now it is time to post until the non-weak cows come home.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 12:06:06 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE NON-WEAK WEEK
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 12:10:55 AM »

I stopped doing my Hungarian of the Day feature because I got bored by it - but it would be remiss (and remister) of me no to point out that both Mr. George Pal and Mr. Miklos Rozsa are of the Magyar persuasion. My father's name was Sandor Pal. But he wasn't related to George Pal because in Hungary George Pal would be Pal George and in the USA my father would be Pal Sandor. If you follow me. Which you probably don't, but that's okay. It's all good.

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 12:12:44 AM »

Lightest I have been was of course at Birth. Don't remember the weight and nor does anyone else. Heaviest I've been is NOW! Not gross but certainly overweight. (As I am height challenged I tend to think of myself as being underheight for my weight). No numbers possible as I don't often check - I just let my clothes do that.
Slim is not me and won't be. I don't actually think "slim" is a good look. I was not even a fan of Slim Whitman.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 12:15:40 AM »

I stopped doing my Hungarian of the Day feature because I got bored by it - but it would be remiss (and remister) of me no to point out that both Mr. George Pal and Mr. Miklos Rozsa are of the Magyar persuasion. My father's name was Sandor Pal. But he wasn't related to George Pal because in Hungary George Pal would be Pal George and in the USA my father would be Pal Sandor. If you follow me. Which you probably don't, but that's okay. It's all good.
By George I think I've got it. That means that Boy George is Hungarian. Right?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 12:17:51 AM »

Welcome eleven GUESTS.  Who are you children of the night who come and spend time with us?  

Panni

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 12:17:56 AM »

I don't know the exact figure of the most I've ever weighed (not counting pregnancy). I know the time period though - I was working (acting) in children's theater in Stratford. We were done by early afternoon with nothing to do but eat. Which we did. I think all the actors ended the season quite a bit heftier.
The least I've weighed as an adult would be around 98, I guess.
I've forgotten the other questions.

Panni

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 12:28:01 AM »

Checked the other questions - most weight lost and gained - i don't know exactly. I lose weight very easily if I get stressed or am working too hard and forgetting to eat. I was going through an unbelievably bad time a few years ago and lost around 5 pounds in a week, as I recall. When I was a kid and we went through all the horror of the revolution and then escaped from Hungary, I was SO thin I looked -- like a refugee - type casting.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 12:28:18 AM »

The least I've weighed, as an adult, is 145 pounds, which is what I weighed during High School and continued to weigh through my thirties.  There is nothing wrong with weighing 145 pounds, but on a six-foot-two frame it was stretched a bit thin.

Fortunately, sometime in my late thirties I quit smoking.  Good thing, since it is not only a fowl habit, it's also an increasingly pricy one.  stereotypically, I went through a bit of a weight change.

I gained fifty pounds during the following year.

One the one hand, this was good news.  I was pleased to find myself finally weighing more or less...well, more...what I was supposed to weigh.  On the other hand, gaining a full quarter of my weight in one year was a shock to the system.  I went through periods of feeling bloated, saggy, bouncy in all the wrong ways.  Not to mention that I went through two changes of pants, because my waist grew.

Der Brucer teases me still about how I no longer have my youthful figure.  Too bad.  I'm happier, now that I've adjusted to the change.  Besides, he pointed out to me a fellow working at the local WalMart, saying "That's about how thin you were before."  Yuck!  I can't have been as reedy as that!

I've added a few more pounds since then, particularly over the last couple of years, but nothing drastic.  I think I'd like to weigh somewhere between 200 and 210 pounds.  (Time to start getting more exercise.  Maybe I should start running with the dogs more.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2004, 12:32:54 AM »

My heaviest was about three years ago.  My lightest (not including birth weight) was just about two years ago.  I've gained back most (but not all) of the weight that I lost.  As for specific numbers, I'll wait (no pun intended) a bit to see how many others post actual numbers.  I will, if I'm not the only one to do so.  And you will all be shocked...SHOCKED, :o I say...to know the truth.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 12:34:41 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2004, 12:33:43 AM »

Now I must go to bed, perchance to sleep (or dream)...or whatever the heck the Shakespeare quote is.  Anyway, good night, all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2004, 12:38:19 AM »

"Perchance To Dream" is of course an Ivor Novello musical George. I think Shakespeare stole the line.
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2004, 12:40:48 AM »

I am so NOT sleepy.  ::)

Must get some rest -    

Have to get up early and work work work tomorrow --   which is actually today.

BEEKAY

• I guess we aren't in Kansas anymore!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2004, 04:15:11 AM »

Heaviest for me was 143 kg (314.6lb) that was 2 yrs ago b4 undergoing gastric stapling so that I could take up work in my new profession of nursing. Lightest I can remember is 84kg earlier in this yr
Friend of Dorothy and all that stuff!

BEEKAY

• I guess we aren't in Kansas anymore!
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2004, 04:36:51 AM »

Thanks to DR TC for his great jokes. Now a tender word of warning to DR MBarnum...please be careful if you decide to go "nakey" at the beach...You don't want untanned regions getting burnt as I did the first time I went that way. Couldn't wear clothes for three days! AAGGGHHHHH!
Friend of Dorothy and all that stuff!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2004, 04:38:27 AM »

I enjoyed a weekend in the country (An A Little Night Music reference), and have just caught up on the posts.

Last night I skipped chat to watch a made-in-Canada TV movie: The Zeyda and the Hitman. Judd Hirsch played the zeydie, the grandfather who hires Danny Aiello to off his deadbeat son-in-law. Mercedes Ruehl played the zeydie's wife, though she was certainly no bubbie. The movie described itself as a cross between Grumpy Old Men and The Sopranos, and while the characters were appealing, the writing was weak. The Winnipeg setting is probably the worst thing to happen to that city's tourism industry.

It's based on a true story, with the Danny Aiello character based on Marv "the Weasel" Elkind, a childhood buddy of my friend Harvey. Marv is quite a character. I met him at a party a few years ago, and chatted with his very sweet wife - who definitely is a bubbie. "People say things about him," she told me. "All I know is that he treats me good."

Ben

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2004, 04:54:50 AM »

Well, I got kicked out of chat (got dropped off line actually) just before the ruffling of feathers (and just as BK was leaving) so I don't know what it was about. Perhaps it was for the best.

I've always been small of frame. When I was on tour w/Sesame Street Live I probably weighed the least, around, about 105. It was a killer show physically and when we had 3 show Saturdays all I wanted to do was sleep afterwards. I could eat anything I wanted during that run (and did). I stayed very slim for many years after SSL and some people were worried about my lack of weight. I do look back at some pictures from the mid-80s and perhaps I did look a bit gaunt. I finally started gaining weight when I hit 40 and it had the temerity to hit back. In the mid-90s, after a particularly stressful time at work, I settled into a wonderful relationship and a satisfying life and noticed the pounds creeping up. I didn't gain huge amounts but enough that my clothes didn't fit and I wasn't happy with my physical self (I had gotten up to 138 which doesn't sound so bad but on my 5'3" frame it didn't set well) so I took advantage of a Weight Watchers class being offered at my office. I followed the program and paid strict attention to what I ate, along with real exercise (not just walking up the 3 flights of steps at the office) and I lost 18 pounds. It doesn't sound like much and when I went to WW meetings I mentioned that because there were/are people there who are trying to lose much more weight but the moderator made a good point which I have remembered since. 18 pounds doesn't sound like much, but go into a grocery store and pick up a 15 pound bag of potatoes (or some other similar weighing food) and carry it around with you during your stay at the store and then put it down. You'll notice the difference. I now hover, weight-wise, in the high 120s (125-127) and I'm completely happy there. I don't have the same kind of life I did 25 years ago and my metabolism has changed so my body shape has changed. I'm happy with the way I am and that's all that counts.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2004, 05:07:10 AM »

When Gord and I met, he weighed about 140 lbs and I weighed about 110 (I'm short, he's tall). Today I weigh what he weighed then.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2004, 05:16:03 AM »

I was at my weightiest about 15 years ago. My doctor looked at my chart and pointed out that I was gaining exponentially: two pounds one year; four pounds the next; eight pounds the next. It was at that point I realized my metabolism had changed.

Jason

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2004, 05:18:14 AM »

The smallest I can ever remember being is around 175 in high school. I now hover around 195-200. The scale at the gym actually tells me somewhere around 210-215, but that's with shoes and headphones and water bottles and sweatclothes and all that jazz included. I know I should take those things off when I weigh myself, but who has time? Seriously, though, the silly scale is wrong even when no one is standing on it, so I can't take it seriously. I come from a big-boned family. We're all stocky and in some cases my family members are just flat-out fat. In my case, I'm mostly muscle with a layer of what is essentially baby fat all around. Of course, I've probably lost 5 or 10 pounds in the last three months and I could stand to lose another 10, but even then I won't be at my "suggested" weight, which is 145-160, which I know will never, EVER happen. My clothes fit me better now, so that's what matters to me.

As I said, I wasn't in chat last night, so I wasn't there when "the happening" occured. Wasn't "The Happening" a song by Diana Ross and the Supremes?

I got a phone message from my mom today at 7:30. She leaves these ridiculously cryptic messages--"It's your mom. Call me before 8:00 if you get this message."

First off, she never calls that early. Secondly, why can't she just say what she wants so I don't start worrying that someone's dead?? I returned her call. She wanted to know if I wanted to go to Gatlinburg, TN, while I'm home. Apparently our family reunion is off, so they thought I might like to go out of town for the weekend. She couldn't have said that instead of making me think that my grandmother had broken her hip? I told her that I'd rather stay home if it was all the same to her and dad. She said that was fine. It took all of two minutes to say that and hang up. That couldn't have waited until tonight...? She's nuts!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2004, 06:17:57 AM »

BK -
You should take a little extra time at your storage area and catalogue what is in each box.  Put a number on the box and make a list of what is in each numbered box.  This way you can just look at the list and say "oh, that music is in box 17" and just look for the box.  It may take a little time now, but will then save you lots of time in the future when you need to get something quick.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jason

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2004, 06:23:45 AM »

DR Ben: I sent you a PM...

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2004, 06:31:18 AM »

DR MBarnum: You FEED the squirrels????

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2004, 06:36:08 AM »

DR Jason: I have a question. I was reading about your experiences with your digital recorder.  And you were upset because when you listened to yourself you were flat. You also said you hated how you sounded, and that you never had those problems before.

I'm curious.  When you were singing into the recorder could you tell you were flat.  Or could you only hear the problems when you listened back?

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2004, 06:42:54 AM »

DR WEL that is a great idea!  Labelling things always makes life easier!

Jason

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2004, 06:48:22 AM »

Jennifer: No, I couldn't tell I was flat while I was singing. I only noticed it during playback. The recorder has various speeds, and when I played it back at a slightly faster speed the pitch problems were non-existent. Unfortunately they reappeared when I played it at "normal" speed. As I said, I've never had pitch issues before--every now and again, of course, but that's pretty normal--and as DR Jose pointed out to me last night, those things aren't really meant for singing but for verbal dictation, so I'm not going to take it too much to heart. I'm simply going to concentrate harder on keeping my soft palate raised, keeping the sound in "the mask," and keeping a steady, supported flow of air without grabbing at the notes and holding the air in. That's what I know to do. That, and pray to God that I can sing "If I Loved You" in tune.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 06:51:34 AM by Jason »

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2004, 06:55:13 AM »

Jennifer: No, I couldn't tell I was flat while I was singing. I only noticed it during playback. The recorder has various speeds, and when I played it back at a slightly faster speed the pitch problems were non-existent. Unfortunately they reappeared when I played it at "normal" speed. As I said, I've never had pitch issues before--every now and again, of course, but that's pretty normal--and as DR Jose pointed out to me last night, those things aren't really meant for singing but for verbal dictation, so I'm not going to take it too much to heart. I'm simply going to concentrate harder on keeping my soft palate raised, keeping the sound in "the mask," and keeping a steady, supported flow of air without grabbing at the notes and holding the air in. That's what I know to do. That, and pray to God that I can sing "If I Loved You" in tune.

If you couldn't hear your problems while you were singing then how do you know you've never had the problems before? :)

That is interesting that they are not meant for singing.

Well good luck and thanks for answering.

Jason

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2004, 06:57:41 AM »

If you couldn't hear your problems while you were singing then how do you know you've never had the problems before? :)

Touche.

I would hope that the six voice teachers who judged me every semester would have pointed out any pitch problems that I may have been having during my six years as a voice major. There again, I haven't had a true voice lesson in three years. I think it's time to start going again...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2004, 07:19:32 AM »

Actually, most of the boxes are labeled.  It's just that the boxes are on top of each other in stacks and you can't always see the labels without removing the stack in front.  I'm sure there is a better way to organize but I haven't figured it out yet.  If there were shelves, now that would be a different story.  The boxes with music are also all labeled, but the box you want is always at the bottom and these boxes are HEAVY.

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2004, 07:20:12 AM »

DR Jennifer, I put out peanuts for the squirrels in the back yard each day. Usually I do it in the morning before I leave work. They are hungry little rascals!

Freddy likes to watch them eat! Actually he likes to stalk them.

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2004, 07:25:35 AM »

I presume we are talking weight as an adult. When I was out of high school I weighed around 125 lbs. This was way too skinny for me. I am 5' 11. I could eat any and all things but never gain an ounce. When I hit my thirties things changed and I filled out a bit and I was much happier with my weight (I hated being so thin)...now that I have hit 40, and am not working out like I did a few years back, I am filling out even a bit more! LOL! I am now at 178 lbs.  Not a bad weight but I would like to firm up a bit.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up