Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GAZELLE WITH THE DRAGGIN' TATTOO  (Read 9083 times)

Ginny

Re: THE GAZELLE WITH THE DRAGGIN' TATTOO
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 06:22:43 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  After two busy days, I'm looking forward to being home all weekend.  Today, I'll take a cardio walk around the basement and do some laundry and some desk work.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 06:32:00 AM »

There were 10 people at our book discussion last night, including our friend who has been on the local school board for 18 years.  We're all excited about reading The Hunger Games for next month.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 06:34:52 AM »

TOD - In anticipation of Richard's absence this week, I hijacked our Netflix cue and have been watching movies he didn't particularly want to see.  Earlier in the week, I saw THE DESCENDANTS  and BEGINNERS, and today I have THE LAST STATION.  Another one should come in the mail today, probably either THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT or the first disc of BOARDWALK EMPIRE.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 07:17:13 AM »

Delmer Daves, anyone?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 07:31:10 AM »

TOD - In anticipation of Richard's absence this week, I hijacked our Netflix cue and have been watching movies he didn't particularly want to see.  Earlier in the week, I saw THE DESCENDANTS  and BEGINNERS, and today I have THE LAST STATION.  Another one should come in the mail today, probably either THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT or the first disc of BOARDWALK EMPIRE.

The Last Station was the movie about Tolstoy, wasn't it? I really enjoyed that.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2012, 07:39:35 AM »

Yep, DR John G, Tolstoy.

John G.

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2012, 07:41:59 AM »

Now these are Texas bluebonnets. (Not my photo.)
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JMK

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2012, 07:44:17 AM »

Wow!

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2012, 07:44:47 AM »

We have something kind of similar in our back yard, though the flowers don't rise up as high as those.

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2012, 07:45:22 AM »

Beautiful photo, DR John G!

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2012, 08:09:03 AM »

TOD:

DVD:
A 1960s Bollywood "Invisible Man" movie which I began last weekend and need to finish watching.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2012, 08:21:26 AM »

Greetings from Toyland!

DEAREST ENEMY full scores are now edited, repairs sent to the copyist, and I am waiting for final copies of three numbers. Next up,ROBERTA vocal arrangements.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2012, 09:01:29 AM »

I was thrilled to read BK's mention of the new Felix Slatkin CD, which I wasn't aware had come out.  Ordered.  I have both the LPs, which I mentioned here some months ago when I was going through a major Slatkin phase.  I'm sure everyone remembers, much as with my mentions of Edmundo Ros.  ;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2012, 09:21:04 AM »

Happy Friday to all and Sundry...especially Sundry!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

John G.

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2012, 09:22:40 AM »

I was thrilled to read BK's mention of the new Felix Slatkin CD, which I wasn't aware had come out.  Ordered.  I have both the LPs, which I mentioned here some months ago when I was going through a major Slatkin phase.  I'm sure everyone remembers, much as with my mentions of Edmundo Ros.  ;)
Eddie who?  ;)
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2012, 09:32:38 AM »

re: THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO

I still have not seen the US movie since my library did not get it yet (hopefully they will get it).

It's hard to keep all the endings in check. But I found this interesting comparison. And it sounds like the US movie is more like the book. There was a key element that was left out of the Swedish movie that bugged the crap out of me (re: erika and mikael). It sounds like they included it in the US movie.

http://prodigalfilmstudent.wordpress.com/2011/12/31/differences-between-americanswedish-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo/

You haven't seen the extended Swedish or you would know that the ending with Erika and Mikael is there.  The big change involves Vanger's daughter - that most certainly is NOT in the book.  Also, 90% of the things on that website that the guy feels are better in the US because they're not included in the Swedish, ARE included in the extended version of the Swedish film.  I'm going to watch that again soon.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:54:07 AM by bk »

JMK

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2012, 09:41:26 AM »

Those Slatkin LPs had really cool dye cut covers.  I'm assuming the CD insert booklet does not reproduce them.

JMK

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2012, 09:42:12 AM »

Template Parse Error!

It seems something has gone sour on the forum with the template system. This problem should only be temporary, so please come back later and try again. If you continue to see this message, please contact the administrator.

JMK

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2012, 09:42:33 AM »

Template Parse Error is the name of my new Template Parse Error.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2012, 09:54:43 AM »

I don't know what that means since I am clearly here and posting.

John G.

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2012, 10:03:24 AM »

Template Parse Error is the name of my new Template Parse Error.
I don't parse in error.
― Voltaire

Doug R

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2012, 10:05:40 AM »

Wonderful photo DR John G.

Doug R

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2012, 10:08:41 AM »

TOD:

Blu - Final Destination 5 in 3D (Well I can't spend my whole life watching high art!)

DVD - On the Waterfront - Keep meaning to buy the DVD and finally did so.

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2012, 10:25:42 AM »

TOD:

(Well I can't spend my whole life watching high art!)

That has always  been my motto, DR Doug R!

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2012, 10:30:35 AM »

I still have not seen the US movie since my library did not get it yet (hopefully they will get it).

It's hard to keep all the endings in check. But I found this interesting comparison. And it sounds like the US movie is more like the book. There was a key element that was left out of the Swedish movie that bugged the crap out of me (re: erika and mikael). It sounds like they included it in the US movie.

http://prodigalfilmstudent.wordpress.com/2011/12/31/differences-between-americanswedish-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo/

You haven't seen the extended Swedish or you would know that the ending with Erika and Mikael is there.  The big change involves Vanger's daughter - that most certainly is NOT in the book.  Also, 90% of the things on that website that the guy feels are better in the US because they're not included in the Swedish, ARE included in the extended version of the Swedish film.  I'm going to watch that again soon.

No, I did not see the extended Swedish version. I'm glad that they included the stuff with Erika. But to me if it's not in the regular movie then it really doesn't count. Because that is the version that everybody saw. That was the key scene in the book that was the whole reason for book 2. So to not include it in the movie was a huge deal for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2012, 10:38:32 AM »

What is the thing with Vanger's daughter that is not in the book but in the US movie?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2012, 10:40:18 AM »

TOD:

(Well I can't spend my whole life watching high art!)

That has always  been my motto, DR Doug R!

Isn't your motto actually: "I have never spent a moment of my life watching high art"?

;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:30:42 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2012, 10:44:43 AM »

Close, DR Ron Pulliam, except that I did accidently watch part of a HOW THE WEST WAS WON when I was a kid.

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2012, 10:45:22 AM »

Some very good news for fans (like me!) of THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW:

http://carolburnettfan.com/news/CB_Release--4-18-12.pdf

JMK

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2012, 11:23:50 AM »

I hopefully will be getting a copy of the big CAROL BURNETT SHOW set.  :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up