Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT  (Read 22234 times)

Tomovoz

Re:ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT
« Reply #180 on: June 22, 2004, 08:28:58 PM »

Sorry to hear about your news Jose. Hope something wonderful (thank you R & H) happens to make up for it very soon. Best wishes from C, M & F too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #181 on: June 22, 2004, 08:30:41 PM »

RE: German Pancakes

One of the first "real" recipes I remember coming across was one for "Dutch Babies" - which are very much like the German Pancakes that DR Michael Shayne posted.  It was in a cookbook that my mom's hospital in Seattle had put out.  The whole concept of baking a pancake is what appealed to me.  And the description of them rising and puffing up in the oven sounded quite delicious.  However, it wasn't until many years later when I finally got to make them - mainly because I finally had an oven proof skillet.  But I can still recall walking through many a cookware department and wanting to buy a set of small cast iron skillets just so that I could make the "Dutch Babies".  *When I've done them lately, I do them in a big 12-inch skillet.  The finished product is quite impressive when it comes out of the oven.  Just remember that the pan handle is hot(!) - don't forget the pot holder.  Trust me, don't forget the pot holder!  -Ouch!

Oh, and I usually serve them with some sort of freshly prepared fruit concoction and/or syrup and/or fruit preserves.  Orange marmalade and lingonberry preserves work quite nicely.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #182 on: June 22, 2004, 08:32:58 PM »

Everyone has an idea for a movie.

Not surprisingly, I have an idea for a movie.  

It's Die Hard meets On Golden Pond!!!

Money in the bank, I tells ya...money in the bank!
I've always wondered where Jane Fonda really wandered off to in that film!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #183 on: June 22, 2004, 08:37:57 PM »

DR Jose wrote: "What the heck happened to John Travolta?!?!?  He was hard to watch, and hard to listen to after a while."

I didn't watch the show, so I have to ask what you mean by this? Was he old? Fat? Sarcastic? Bored?

Yes. Yes. Yes. And, most likely, Yes.

He just couldn't seem to speak properly.  His speech pattern seemed labored to me.  And he seemed to be trying to hide a lisp - well, at least a very slushy "ssss".  He also seemed to be squinting a lot.  Maybe he was just having a hard time reading the teleprompter.  I dunno.

And the hair!  The Hair?!?!?  Just not flatterting at all.

-And he really wasn't on all that much!

Of course, the kicker was at the end of the show when they cued up "Stayin' Alive", and he started his strut off the set.  Ugh!
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #184 on: June 22, 2004, 08:39:28 PM »

DR Jose wrote: "What the heck happened to John Travolta?!?!?  He was hard to watch, and hard to listen to after a while."

I didn't watch the show, so I have to ask what you mean by this? Was he old? Fat? Sarcastic? Bored?
He wasn't fat (that was Hamlish), and he wasn't old.  Actually, that was the problem.  He wasn't his young self any more, but he doesn't look like he's aged into his body.  He's at an in-between stage, and it doesn't look good on him.

But he's the come-back kid.  In a few years, he might be looking good again.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #185 on: June 22, 2004, 08:43:48 PM »

GERMAN BREAKFAST PANCAKES
serves 6

6 Eggs
1/8 ts Salt
1 c Flour -- unsifted
12 c Milk
1 t Sugar
1/4 lb Butter
- Powdered Sugar
Sorry, this list of ingredients doesn't read right.  One cup of flour and six eggs...and TWELVE cups of milk?  This is going to be a hellava thin batter!  I've a hunch a half cup of milk will suffice.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #186 on: June 22, 2004, 08:45:09 PM »

Sorry to hear about your news, Jose. Unfortunately, this busines sometimes throws huge disappointments your way. But then it also throws huge wonderful surprises. Here's hoping one of those is just around the corner for you.
(IMHO - there is no excuse for rudeness, however. Being told in a two sentence e-mail that you do not have a job on which you had already put in time, by someone with whom you have history, is downright RUDE. And that is inexcusable.)

MBarnum

« Reply #187 on: June 22, 2004, 08:51:40 PM »

DR Jose, very sorry about your unpleasant news. With any luck perhaps one of those lotto tickets will turn your mood into a happier one!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #188 on: June 22, 2004, 08:51:42 PM »

I would think Laura's Theme would not have been included was because it was only an instrumental in the film. Lyrics were added afterwards to many other favorite theme scores like Where Do I Begin? from Love Story. The Summer Knows from The Summer of '42 and Speak Softly Love from The Godfather.

As for Col. Bogey's March it was also an instrumental.

Yep, I kind of realized what they were going for at the beginning of the show when Travolta seemed to keep repeating the word lyrics.  Still, I can't get over some omissions from the 400 song ballot, namely the aforementioned "Heigh-Ho" and, unbelievably, any Beatle song!

If I may toot my own horn here, I do have to let ya all know that I picked seven out of the top ten.  From a list of 400 songs, that ain't bad...

BTW (internet lingo), breakfast at IHOP was delish.  I had their steak omelette with salsa and a side of pancakes.  I wish all my breakfasts could be as good.  Alas, back to the bowl of Cheerios tomorrow...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #189 on: June 22, 2004, 08:58:43 PM »

Kentucky Burgoo, as defined by Irma S. Rombauer and Marion Rombauer Becker in The Joy of Cooking, 1975.

Quote:  The accent is on the first syllable.  This thick, long simmered potpourri, a catch-as-catch-can mixture of meats, fowl and garden gleanings - with squirrel thrown in, in some authentic local versions -

(Can't get away from them squirrels, can we?   ;))

has an assortment of Old World forebears as numerous and far-flung as the Gypsies.  In Spain it is known as Olla Podrida; in Ireland it surfaces as Mulligan Stew.  But in Kentucky it came into it's own as the local solution to feeding the multitudes; it used to be made, in amounts to serve several hundreds, in a huge hog-butchering kettle over an outdoor fire, providing an occasion for great socializing, a "stirring" overnight vigil.

Unquote.

The kids from Joy toss stewing beef and pork shoulder into a kettle with water or stock, simmering that for maybe 90 minutes.  They then add a disjointed chicken, cooking for an hour until the meat falls from the bones.  The bones are removed, the meat returned to the pot, and they start throwing in veggies.  Tomatoes, lima beans, hot red pepper, green peppers, onions, carrots, celery, 'taters, okra.  This cooks for 45 more minutes, then fresh corn is added to cook for another 15 minutes.  

But they also talk about lamb, veal, or whatever else is available being tossed in.  (Sorry, Jane, this is not going to be a fave at your house.)

All of which, I'm sure, can be beat by Jason's family.  But this gives us a starting point.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 09:00:59 PM by S. Woody White »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #190 on: June 22, 2004, 08:59:34 PM »

Those kinds of lists usually drive me crazy so I try to avoid them. Sometimes, they're almost unavoidable like that stupid "hot" list in ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY this week. Such silly arbitrary selections and rankings, and some of them obviously placed by publicity departments/agents to hawk something upcoming.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jason

« Reply #191 on: June 22, 2004, 09:03:45 PM »

All of which, I'm sure, can be beat by Jason's family.  But this gives us a starting point.

Sorry, S. Woody, we don't do burgoo. We do burgers, but not burgoo. I think mom made it once and that was that. Never again, she said.

Sorry about your bad news, Jose. Maybe this is a sign it's time to move to New York.  ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #192 on: June 22, 2004, 09:15:49 PM »

I'm at a loss for how to react, Jose.  I'm feeling bad for you, but this is like someone has pulled the rug from under you, and I don't have the slightest idea how to help catch you to ease your fall.

You're too talented to be kept down for long.  But that doesn't help right now, no matter how I wish it could.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #193 on: June 22, 2004, 09:20:55 PM »

Thanks to all the DRs so far your condolences, as it were, and your well wishes.

As DR Panni pointed out... It was/is the whole being told in a e-mail thing that has really upset me.  Especially after I've made many efforts to contact the powers that be in person for the past two months.  And whenever I have contacted them when they said they would be back in the office, they weren't in the office.  So, frustration upon frustration.  I just can't help but take it as a personal slight right now.

DR Jason - The thoughts of New York did cross my mind as soon as I finished reading the e-mail... and re-reading it... and reading it again yet one more time.  We may have to talk.  Soon. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #194 on: June 22, 2004, 09:22:00 PM »

Jose, I am so sorry to hear about your news, but it can only mean that better news is around the corner.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #195 on: June 22, 2004, 09:29:38 PM »

I'm at a loss for how to react, Jose.  I'm feeling bad for you, but this is like someone has pulled the rug from under you, and I don't have the slightest idea how to help catch you to ease your fall.

You're too talented to be kept down for long.  But that doesn't help right now, no matter how I wish it could.

Do you and DerBrucer need a houseboy for the summer?  I refuse to wear a french maid's outfit, but you can call me Ito if you'd like.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #196 on: June 22, 2004, 09:43:07 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]!! >:(!! VIBES OF RIGHTEOUSNESS FOR DR JOSE !! >:(!![/move]

...for when you seek out the answers to what went down tomorrow.  And...

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :)   :D   ;D  VIBES OF PROSPERITY                   ;D   :D   :)[/move]
...for what's coming up in your future!  

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: June 22, 2004, 10:20:40 PM »

Having just gone through a similar kind of kiss-off e-mail, I empathize with Jose.  People who behave like this get theirs in the end, that's all I can tell you.  

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #198 on: June 22, 2004, 10:35:22 PM »

So sorry, Jose. That's really smeggy.

And now I want breakfast. Oh well. I guess this chocolate bar and Cherry Coke will have to do.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: June 22, 2004, 10:58:29 PM »

Good Evening!

Thanks again to everyone here on HHW for their words of encouragement and general sense of "stiff upper lip-ness".  All your warm wishes have truly helped to ease a lot of the sting.  -And I also appreciate the sense of "they'll get theirs" too! ;)

We'll see what the morning brings... And speaking of the morning, I need to get bed soon.  -Especially since I may be heading northward tomorrow afternoon... Just because... ;)

Now back to the food!

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: June 22, 2004, 10:59:19 PM »

And one for Mahler.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #201 on: June 22, 2004, 11:14:04 PM »

Interesting episode of Nip/Tuck. Dealing with society's obsession with age and appearance. I still can't look at the graphic surgical stuff - but this is one of the few series that despite the outward trappings is actually dealing with something real. And on FX! The episode was presented with no commercials, as well.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 11:14:42 PM by Panni »

Tomovoz

« Reply #202 on: June 22, 2004, 11:22:19 PM »

So sorry, Jose. That's really smeggy.

It's about time we had a return of all that wonderful fun in that absolutely non Smeggy show to TV in Ozland DR Sandra.  Long live Red Dwarf.
I may eventually have to buy the DVDs.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up