Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SOUTH OF THE BORDER  (Read 13530 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SOUTH OF THE BORDER
« on: April 27, 2012, 12:33:12 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were south of the border, and now it is time for you to post hasta que las vacas vuelvan a casa.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: SOUTH OF THE BORDER
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 12:34:11 AM »

And the word of the day is: PATAGIUM!

Ben

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 03:36:13 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 04:41:06 AM »

Today is Friday and it is a work day.  Oh well.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 04:41:28 AM »

TOD:

Taco Bell.....although we make tacos at home - or used to.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 04:41:30 AM »

Good morning, all! This morning I have laundry to do, along with tidying the apartment. After that, it's my usual day of various and sundry things - a few last scores for ROBERTA need to be constructed from existing orchestra parts, three ONLY GIRL scores are waiting for me, and I'vw found a few more DEAREST ENEMY fixes in the vocal score. Next week I should start getting orchestra parts for DEAREST ENEMY to be assembled, so I'd like to call the prelim ROBERTA work finished.

Last night, I spoke to my friend Erick, whom I've not seen in 20 years and with whom I last spoke around 1o years ago. He still has his slow, western drawl, and we mostly talked about people we knew when he lived in Manhattan. He got his job at Drama Book Shop through one of the employees, who later after Erick left New York, embezzled alot of money out of the store, so I told him all I could remember about that.  About thattime, his phone went dead, as it did when he had called me. He had warned me that the cell phone connection was pathetic, but it was good to speak briefly to him.

DR Danise, thanks again for the tv settings advice. Now that I know how to find that, I think I'm okay.

TOD: 
   DVD: those damned Netflix discs still sit here.
   CD: Herbert songs, mostly, Guy Haines
   VCR: Horrifying!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 04:42:18 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Healthy Vibes for Linda, sister of our DR JohnG, and Good weekend Vibes for all! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 04:45:04 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 04:45:18 AM »

Thanks for the birthday wishes DR Cillaliz!  Btw do you and your mom have your favorites yet on DWTS?  I think mine is Mark and Katherine. Although I really like many of the ones that are left.

Do you like the dance off? I think the idea of it isn't bad. But in most cases  it pretty much seals the deal for the worse dancer.

John G.

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 04:47:21 AM »

TOD 1:

DVD: Mad Hot Ballroom, Silver City

CD: Blame It on Bacharach, The Perfect Year

Car CD: The Sondheim STAGE show (can't  remember the name and it's already in the car), Italian lessons

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 04:51:32 AM »

RE: the Mexican food TOD.

I like Mexican food a lot. But don't eat it that often.  There used to be a lot of Mexican restaurants that i liked. My favorite one called Chi Chis closed quite a while ago. I used to love that place. They had the most delicious fried ice cream desserts. I remember going there for my birthday a lot when i was a kid. And they would stand up on chairs and bang things and sing you happy birthday.

I did make tacos this week for my nieces. But basically that just involved heating up taco shells, browing hamburger meat and putting salsa, tomatoes, lettuce and cheese on it.  Pretty easy. Although still tasty!

Ben

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 04:51:50 AM »

We took Topsy Turvy out of the library. We also have Indiscreet and The Barkleys of Broadway. We are also watching a British show with Martin Clunes from 2003 called William and Mary. There are 12 episodes total on 3 discs. It's lots of fun.

John G.

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 04:57:39 AM »

TOD 2: I think the first Mexican I had was at Chi-Chi's, which Jennifer mentions. The chain later had problems after several people died from eating bad green onions, as I recall.

Living in the land of Tex-Mex is a mixed blessing. The food, by and large, is great at most every restaurant, but the diet is horrible for diabetics, with its reliance on corn or flour tortillas with everything, including enchiladas and tacos,  corn and potatoes in most of the soups, and another heavy dose of carbs in the rice and beans. That leaves me with few choices to eat outside of fajitas and ceviches, both of which I love and maybe seafood dish or a salad, depending on how it is prepared.

My favorite dish would have to be seafood, usually red snapper, in a Veracruz sauce, which is tomato-based with capers, olives, sauteed onions and more.

Oh, and tequila. It shouldn't be on the diet, either, but I make an exception for that.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 05:24:54 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  We are up and moving and getting ready to head to the western 'burbs of Detroit.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 05:27:40 AM »

Mexican food TOD - El Nibble Nook, in the vicinity we'll be visiting today, is the first Mexican restaurant that I remember.  Coincidentally, I think the family is gathering at my sister's local jernt for dinner tonight - La Fajita.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 05:28:40 AM »

DR John G, I really enjoyed the HBO version of MILDRED PIERCE. I thought the cast and look of the film were quite wonderful. 

Nothing will top Crawford and Blyth, though!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 05:39:47 AM »

And the word of the day is: PATAGIUM!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  HOLD ME BAT BOY

Danise

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 05:52:49 AM »

Morning all! 

I'm just glad I could help, DR Elmore. 

I was wondering if anyone has heard from DR TCB.  I hope he is doing well.  If your reading this, I'm still sending vibes and prayers your way!

I'm sorry I somehow missed DR John G's asking for vibes for his sisters kidney stones.  They are not fun.  I have an 8mm one yet again on my right side and a smaller stone on my left side.  Once I get past this other set of procedures I'm going though, I have to go get another KUB and I know the outcome of that--another kidney stone surgery.  Sigh.  It's getting to the point where most of my paychecks are going directly to doctors or prescriptions.  Late but still strong vibes to John G sister~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not much news on the house because we are waiting to for the surveror to come.  They can't start on the room until they know where the land lines are so we are at a complete stop. 

I have decided to give up on that drawing game.  I bought another stylus from Radio Shack and have come to the conclusion that I simply can't draw.  It still makes dash lines instead of solid line so I have to write clues about what I'm trying to draw.   

I like the words with friends game better anyway.

That's all the news from here.

Laters all!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 05:53:24 AM »

I should be getting the HBO Mildred Pierce from Netflix next week.  Probably watch it in my Momcave, because I doubt Richard will be interested.

Doug R

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 05:57:24 AM »

I'm fed up with this weather. We went for months with hardly any rain but as soon as the Government announced a drought and imposed water restrictions, we've had nothing but torrential rain and winds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 06:03:34 AM »

Surgery vibes for the sister of DR JOHN G.

And now off to work.  Oh well.

The thunderstorms have been moved again....to Saturday.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 06:18:47 AM »

Got the first of the four Hugo Montenegro Broadway albums I found online.  I believe this one came from the Academy Bookstore in NYC.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 06:20:55 AM »

We are about to head out for the day - bye for now!

ChasSmith

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 06:21:56 AM »

El Carmen is still around?  I loved it in the '70s/'80s, but admittedly the main thing I went there for was to gorge myself on the nachos.  That, and the Red Onion restaurants -- the B.H. one heretofore mentioned as the location of the failed Carnegie (and yes, it was totally lost in translation from NYC).  These were favorite lunchtime destinations when working at Litton Industries corporate headquarters in the Flats of Beverly.

El Coyote, for the Experience, not the food.  But really, I am SO easy to please when it comes to Mexican, which I could happily eat every day for the next 40 years.  Fresh chips, a good salsa, and a good margarita, and I'm in Heaven.

Antonio's, on Melrose!  No one?  Is it still around?  Salsa that would cure what ailed you, and a nice sit-down atmosphere.

And for more cheese-y salsa-y delights, please have for me the "40 Miles of Bad Road" at Baja Cantina, a block east of the Venice Pier.  I'm still on my first cup of coffee but I'd kill for that right now.

El Torito, fine, though I remember thinking the best of the chains was Red Onion.  But you folks in L.A. ... you have hundreds of hole-in-the-wall places that are to die for.  Go out and indulge.

DVD (actually my newly acquired and already much loved Oppo 93):  MI: Ghost Protocol.  Which is not quintessentially "me", but is one of the few contemporary flicks of its kind I've let myself thrill to, and it's an incredible BLU disc.

CD:  Damn.  Nothing.  How embarrassing.

John G.

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2012, 06:22:44 AM »

DR John G, I really enjoyed the HBO version of MILDRED PIERCE. I thought the cast and look of the film were quite wonderful. 

Nothing will top Crawford and Blyth, though!
Overall, I enjoyed and wish I had had the time to watch it as a miniseries. The last two episodes together were just a little long. Again, great cast, stylish direction, but the daughter's character got to me even more than she did in the movie.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 06:25:20 AM »

I'm fed up with this weather. We went for months with hardly any rain but as soon as the Government announced a drought and imposed water restrictions, we've had nothing but torrential rain and winds.
Are folks over there interested in the Rupert Murdoch testimony? As a former journalist, I am, but then again, I'm not a fan of Murdoch's style of doing business.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 06:26:26 AM »

Kidney stone-free vibes for Danise.
― Voltaire

JMK

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 06:44:12 AM »

Are folks over there interested in the Rupert Murdoch testimony? As a former journalist, I am, but then again, I'm not a fan of Murdoch's style of doing business.

Folks over here are (or at least this folk).  I was laughing out loud yesterday at his fumbling intransigence.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 06:46:10 AM »

I have had a really bizarre list of review titles lately, but for anyone out for something unusual and a lot of fun, I highly recommend the Chinese blockbuster LET THE BULLETS FLY.  It's gorgeous on BD and it's quite funny, to boot.

JMK

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 06:47:24 AM »

I received the Polish piano duo CD yesterday which includes the rather baroque reading of Komeda's Rosemary's Baby lullaby.  They're a lot of fun to listen to, though I would hesitate to try to pronounce either of their vowel-challenged surnames.  ;)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up