Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SOUTH OF THE BORDER  (Read 13698 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: SOUTH OF THE BORDER
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2012, 02:03:43 PM »

Page five.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2012, 02:04:07 PM »

Sorry to hear the recording has been canceled.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2012, 02:26:48 PM »

The estate sale sounds horrendous.  Like the scene in "Zorba."

I think the fellow whose estate it is would have been none too pleased to see these vultures in action - I think what would have pleased him was to at least have a special day for those who knew him - so they would have first choice at having a souvenir.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2012, 02:53:29 PM »

Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2012, 02:58:12 PM »

Mom and I are back from today's long drive down memory lane.  On the way to Betty's, we drove through Northville, where my parents moved to a condo during my sophomore year in college.  They really bonded with the community and opened Bookstall on the Main in 1979.  After my father died in 1984, Mom sold the bookstore and the condo and moved to Phoenix in 1986.  The bookstore site is now a baby goods store and, among other things, there's a Starbucks down the street.  Many changes, but the town seems to be thriving.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2012, 02:58:44 PM »

DR John G, I'm so sorry to hear about Peggy.  Condolences to you and to all who love her.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2012, 03:00:06 PM »

I have to see tonight's performance of Corigliano's opera,THE GHOSTS OF VERSAILLES, tonight at Manhattan School of Music. I would rather stay home, but I owe it to my goddaughter's parents to be there.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2012, 03:00:54 PM »

We had a delightful visit and delicious lunch with our former neighbor Betty.  Her family lived next door to us in Detroit and I babysat with her kids Mark and Emmy.  Mark was there cutting the grass for his mom today and visited with us for a bit. Here are the 2 moms with the beautiful fruit trifle Betty served for dessert:

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2012, 03:03:38 PM »

I gotta tell you.

Ginny

« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2012, 03:04:35 PM »

After our visit, we headed out Plymouth Road through Livonia past the complex of doctor's offices where Mom and I both worked.  The buildings are all gone and the property is overgrown.  Then we drove through the apartment complex where we lived between the Detroit house and the Northville condo and through downtown Plymouth.

When we got back here to our room, Mom said, "It's been a great day!"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2012, 03:12:21 PM »

Listening to one of Druxy's favorite scores - Run of the Arrow.  Amusingly its main theme is note for note "I come from the town of Mira" then the next few notes are different, then it's exactly the same again for eight notes. 

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2012, 03:22:59 PM »

I think the fellow whose estate it is would have been none too pleased to see these vultures in action - I think what would have pleased him was to at least have a special day for those who knew him - so they would have first choice at having a souvenir.

Good idea Bruce.   Have you specified who gets all of your special belongings so they don't end up in an estate sale?  I have notes on a few things.  I suppose I should be more specific.

Jane

« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2012, 03:28:54 PM »

After our visit, we headed out Plymouth Road through Livonia past the complex of doctor's offices where Mom and I both worked.  The buildings are all gone and the property is overgrown.  Then we drove through the apartment complex where we lived between the Detroit house and the Northville condo and through downtown Plymouth.

When we got back here to our room, Mom said, "It's been a great day!"

I bet she enjoyed the day! :)

Plymouth & Northville are nice.  You weren't too far from where we lived.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2012, 03:30:43 PM »

Good idea Bruce.   Have you specified who gets all of your special belongings so they don't end up in an estate sale?  I have notes on a few things.  I suppose I should be more specific.

The darling daughter will ultimately benefit most, as my instructions will be to give the books and art to auction houses - that will get her the most money.  Papers and stuff will be donated elsewhere.

JMK

« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2012, 03:32:03 PM »

Condolences to John.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2012, 03:39:24 PM »

Ditto.

Jane

« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2012, 03:43:08 PM »

Good idea Bruce.   Have you specified who gets all of your special belongings so they don't end up in an estate sale?  I have notes on a few things.  I suppose I should be more specific.

The darling daughter will ultimately benefit most, as my instructions will be to give the books and art to auction houses - that will get her the most money.  Papers and stuff will be donated elsewhere.

Sounds like a good plan.  You mean the books she doesn't want?  We don't have a huge collection that you do.  I expect most, or all, of what we have will be kept.  I have a few things that were passed down to me, none of which are of great value.  If the boys don't want them then I want my brother's children to have the first option before they are sold.  These are the items I must write down.

JMK

« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2012, 03:44:58 PM »

I am LOVING these Montenegro Broadway albums.  Great brass arrangements.

JMK

« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »

One of the smartest things my parents ever did was sit the three of us kids down and have us choose what heirlooms we wanted as they made a list.  That way there was no arguing about it afterward, though of course that didn't stop my problem middle sister from trying.  :)

JMK

« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2012, 03:46:45 PM »

Either Purdue or University of Washington has first dibs on all this Farmer crap (technical term) I've accumulated.  ;)

JMK

« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2012, 03:47:25 PM »

Gabe and Zach will have to deal with the thousands of what will no doubt be worthless CDs and Blu-rays, however.  :)

Jane

« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2012, 03:51:55 PM »

That way there was no arguing about it afterward, though of course that didn't stop my problem middle sister from trying.  :)

;D

Jane

« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2012, 03:56:48 PM »

Before my mother died she sat on her bed with me and took out her jewelry.  She didn't ask me what I wanted, only went through it all saying she needed to decide who would get what.  Of course a caring daughter would not say what she wanted at a time like that.  Later I told my sister and she said how grateful my mother hadn't done that with her. 

My mother never labeled anything and my sister & I calmly and fairly sorted everything out.  This is the same sister who locked me out of my father's place and moved what she wanted to her condo & even her daughter doesn't know what she did with the rest of it.  After my sister died basically left at my father's was junk.  I found a few things we wanted, mostly photos & papers.  What I did get I had to take off of my sister's walls & I took less than I wanted.  Recently I found out her daughter sold just about all of the paintings, including most of the artwork my sister had done.  I was shocked.

Ginny

« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2012, 03:57:05 PM »

Mexican restaurant is out for tonight - my sister and her husband are bringing pizza to the hotel.

Jane

« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2012, 03:57:27 PM »

Gabe and Zach will have to deal with the thousands of what will no doubt be worthless CDs and Blu-rays, however.  :)

Hey, I wanted a few of my father's favorite CD's. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2012, 03:58:31 PM »

Sounds like a good plan.  You mean the books she doesn't want?  We don't have a huge collection that you do.  I expect most, or all, of what we have will be kept.  I have a few things that were passed down to me, none of which are of great value.  If the boys don't want them then I want my brother's children to have the first option before they are sold.  These are the items I must write down.

I don't think she cares about books.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2012, 03:59:16 PM »

In honor of our notes today, I had a breakfast burrito at Fred 62.  It's really great - chorizo and eggs.  And very calorie friendly at that.

Jane

« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2012, 04:48:09 PM »

I don't think she cares about books.

If she knows which ones are extra special to you she might want to keep them.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2012, 04:50:01 PM »

hello, goodbye!

KevinH

« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2012, 04:50:32 PM »

Condolence to DR John G.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up