Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SOUTH OF THE BORDER  (Read 13581 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: SOUTH OF THE BORDER
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2012, 06:48:39 AM »

I also received, but have not yet listened to, the second volume in the exciting "Complete Pop Instrumental Hits of the Sixties", this one for 1961, which offers every Billboard chart hit for that year.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Kerry

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2012, 07:09:00 AM »

Good morning-- on a Friday!
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2012, 07:20:36 AM »

DR John G, I really enjoyed the HBO version of MILDRED PIERCE. I thought the cast and look of the film were quite wonderful. 

Nothing will top Crawford and Blyth, though!
Overall, I enjoyed and wish I had had the time to watch it as a miniseries. The last two episodes together were just a little long. Again, great cast, stylish direction, but the daughter's character got to me even more than she did in the movie.

You do spend a lot of time wondering when Mildred will wise up, and nothing beatsthe Crawford-Blyth slugout on the stairs. What I could never buy, and it's Cain's problem, is how quickly Veda becomes a vitrtuoso soprano singing star.

The laundry is finished. I will vacuum the floors and put the laundry away, in that order.

I think the office situation is now happily resolved, but until I know the lease is in place, I can say nothing. Please keep those office vibes coming!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2012, 07:23:44 AM »

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2012, 08:35:17 AM »

DR John G, I really enjoyed the HBO version of MILDRED PIERCE. I thought the cast and look of the film were quite wonderful. 

Nothing will top Crawford and Blyth, though!
Overall, I enjoyed and wish I had had the time to watch it as a miniseries. The last two episodes together were just a little long. Again, great cast, stylish direction, but the daughter's character got to me even more than she did in the movie.

You do spend a lot of time wondering when Mildred will wise up, and nothing beatsthe Crawford-Blyth slugout on the stairs. What I could never buy, and it's Cain's problem, is how quickly Veda becomes a vitrtuoso soprano singing star.

The laundry is finished. I will vacuum the floors and put the laundry away, in that order.

I think the office situation is now happily resolved, but until I know the lease is in place, I can say nothing. Please keep those office vibes coming!

Well, she sang offstage, as it were. Surprise!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2012, 08:38:01 AM »

I'm up - got up at eight thanks to the ringing of the telephonic device.  I immediately moved the motor car from the garage to the street in front of my house.  And sure enough, five minutes later the Funicello daughter's workman took up every other space (the side of the street in front of their own house is off-limits due to - yes - another film shoot).

John G.

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2012, 08:41:11 AM »

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2012, 08:44:56 AM »

I loved the HBO Mildred Pierce.  I'd never read any Cain, so I read the book in preparation for this one to be aired, and for the most part it's an incredible novel.  That made seeing it all the more rewarding, and I so loved its look of real film.  

I have a special interest in the depiction of locations in movies, and tend to be a hard grader, but I thought most of the trickery of this one, having been filmed on Long Island (?), was impressive -- except for that one causeway-like bridge and the beach grass which betrayed its East Coastedness.  But, I loved it.

John G.

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2012, 08:47:23 AM »

― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2012, 08:50:12 AM »

http://www.broadwayabridged.com/scripts/nicework.html

this is brilliant!

I am reading the one about the Green Day musical. Which I have tickets for. Crap.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2012, 08:53:19 AM »

All these sub-awards are so silly - they just basically nominate everything and everyone.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2012, 09:00:22 AM »

TOD:

CD -- "That's Entertainment: A Celebration of the MGM Film Musical" -- John Wilson and his orchestra (absolutely phenomenal recording)

DVD -- "The Couch" (don't ask me why...it's a compulsion).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

FJL

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2012, 09:15:24 AM »

Vibes for JohnG's sister

FJL

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2012, 09:16:31 AM »

Vibes for Danise as well

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2012, 09:29:26 AM »

*  *  *  *  *  Kidney Stone Surgery Vibes for the Sister of DR John G.  *  *  *  *  *
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2012, 09:30:07 AM »

From derBrucer:

ALL ABOUT THE CARNEGIE DELI

This was not one of the deli's I was thinking of.  I probably noticed it during a visit home but would not have eaten there. 

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2012, 09:30:12 AM »

*  *  *  *  *  Kidney Stone Vibes for DR Danise  *  *  *  *  *
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »

!  !  !  !  !  BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR JENNIFER  !  !  !  !  !
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2012, 09:34:39 AM »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2012, 09:38:55 AM »

TOD:

Because of Audra McDonald's incessant mentions of Chipotle on Twitter, I finally tried them out a few weeks ago.  I thought the food was just okay.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2012, 09:40:49 AM »

I did discover that Chipotle is pronounced Chip-Oh-Tel and not Chi-Pottle.
-- Anaïs Nin

John G.

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2012, 09:42:55 AM »

You might have a hard time in sections of San Antonio.  ;D

That said, I like the salad versions of what they do. Their tortillas are a big drawback.
― Voltaire

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2012, 09:44:36 AM »

Folks here in Oakland pronounce it "Chee-poat'- lay".  In Spanish, I think the next to the last syllable of any word is the one that carries emphasis.  The last syllable is "lay" or "leh".
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:47:16 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

John G.

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2012, 09:45:37 AM »

Sad news to report. My friend Peggy died last night. She was not in pain, from what I understand, and she knew that her family was with her.

I remember BK's rant a while back about cancer and just have to second that anger and that complete incomprehension at the randomness and illogical and ugliness of it all.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:07:29 AM by John G. »
― Voltaire

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2012, 09:47:45 AM »

El Carmen is still around?  I loved it in the '70s/'80s, but admittedly the main thing I went there for was to gorge myself on the nachos.  That, and the Red Onion restaurants -- the B.H. one heretofore mentioned as the location of the failed Carnegie (and yes, it was totally lost in translation from NYC).  These were favorite lunchtime destinations when working at Litton Industries corporate headquarters in the Flats of Beverly.

El Coyote, for the Experience, not the food.  But really, I am SO easy to please when it comes to Mexican, which I could happily eat every day for the next 40 years.  Fresh chips, a good salsa, and a good margarita, and I'm in Heaven.

Antonio's, on Melrose!  No one?  Is it still around?  Salsa that would cure what ailed you, and a nice sit-down atmosphere.

And for more cheese-y salsa-y delights, please have for me the "40 Miles of Bad Road" at Baja Cantina, a block east of the Venice Pier.  I'm still on my first cup of coffee but I'd kill for that right now.

El Torito, fine, though I remember thinking the best of the chains was Red Onion.  But you folks in L.A. ... you have hundreds of hole-in-the-wall places that are to die for.  Go out and indulge.

DVD (actually my newly acquired and already much loved Oppo 93):  MI: Ghost Protocol.  Which is not quintessentially "me", but is one of the few contemporary flicks of its kind I've let myself thrill to, and it's an incredible BLU disc.

CD:  Damn.  Nothing.  How embarrassing.

Welcome Chas Smith To The Family Of HHW

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2012, 09:50:43 AM »

You might have a hard time in sections of San Antonio.  ;D

That said, I like the salad versions of what they do. Their tortillas are a big drawback.

I was in a San Diego coffee shop some 19 years ago, and it was a place I regularly visited after the workday was over on USS Kitty Hawk (my "home", as it were). 

One day, they had a fine-looking selection of croissants.  I ordered my coffee and told the young lady I also wanted a "croissant".  I pronounced it the French way (kwah-'sant).

She looked at me oddly, and asked me to say it again.  She then asked me to point to what I wanted.  "Oh," she exclaimed, "you want a cross'-unt!"
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:29:11 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2012, 09:55:05 AM »

Very sorry to read about the loss of your friend Peggy, DR John G.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2012, 09:58:16 AM »

;D

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2012, 09:58:49 AM »

Folks here in Oakland pronounce it "Chee-poat'- lay".  In Spanish, I think the next to the last syllable of any word is the one that carries emphasis.  The last syllable is "lay" or "leh".

I stand (though I am actually sitting) corrected--Chee-poat'- lay is the proper pronunciation. 

Don't ask me about the faces I got from behind the counter when I tried to order Tor-Tillahs.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2012, 09:59:31 AM »

Sad news to report. My friend Peggy died last night. She was not in pain, from what I understand, and she know that her family was with her.

I remember BK's rant a while back about cancer and just have to second that anger and that complete incomprehension at the randomness and illogical and ugliness of it all.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend.

We are currently raging at this horrible disease.  :'(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up