Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A DAY WITH NO ANNOYANCES  (Read 11884 times)

Kerry

Re: A DAY WITH NO ANNOYANCES
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 07:16:02 AM »

DR JOHNG this is for you and the other fans of the original Dark Shadows.  The cast photo from ARSENIC AND OLD LACE from the Curran Theater in San Francisco when Jonathan Frid played Jonathan Brewster.  There are some other familiar faces in the cast as well.   ;D

Ah yes, I saw that cast when the show came through Phoenix.  Thanks for sharing this.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 07:16:18 AM »

Page 2 dance!
I like boat races.

Doug R

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 07:26:57 AM »

I had no idea until today that there was a '50s TV series with Ronald Howard as Sherlock Holmes. I came across a DVD with 5 episodes of the series which was filmed in France. I've never seen any episodes before but, for the time when they were made they're pretty good. I see that the complete series is available on the Mill Creek label.

When I bought the DVD the assistant said she was sorry but they had run out of popcorn. "Excuse me" said I "I hadn't asked for popcorn". She pointed to a poster behind her offering customers free popcorn with every DVD. Good job I don't like popcorn or I might have complained!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2012, 08:00:46 AM »

You're welcome DR KERRY - I wish I could have seen it!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2012, 08:01:23 AM »

That happened to me once DR DOUG R - and they gave me the option of choosing two candy bars - which I did.

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 08:11:55 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  After my whirlwind April, I'm beginning to settle back into my at-home routine and get back to some projects that I'd left dangling.  First thing on today's agenda (after my cardio walk and a shower) is a much-needed haircut.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 08:14:49 AM »

DR JOHNG this is for you and the other fans of the original Dark Shadows.  The cast photo from ARSENIC AND OLD LACE from the Curran Theater in San Francisco when Jonathan Frid played Jonathan Brewster.  There are some other familiar faces in the cast as well.   ;D

Gary Sandy...now there's a name I haven't stumbled across in a long, long time.   Not since "WKRP in Cincinnati", actually.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2012, 08:26:16 AM »

TOD - my first memory of a non-musical was a community theatre production of something called THE MAN IN THE DOG SUIT, in which some co-worker of my father's had a part.

My first musicals are far more memorable.  In Detroit, when I was 9 or so, we went to the old Riviera Theatre to see the touring company of THE MUSIC MAN starring Forrest Tucker and Joan Weldon.  My second musical, also at the Riviera, was THE SOUND OF MUSIC, with Florence Henderson.  The Riviera was replaced in the early '60s by the Fisher Theatre, where my grandmother and I saw BK's friend Karen Morrow as THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN in August, 1962. 

My first Broadway experience was in the summer of 1967, between my junior and senior years in high school, when Mom and I saw the original cast of CABARET and met 4 of the 5 principals at the stage door afterwards.  I have my souvenir program book autographed by Joel Grey, Lotte Lenya, Bert Convy, and Jack Gilford.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2012, 08:27:16 AM »

There are two or three new reader reviews up on amazon from folks I don't know - check them out - they're wonderful, especially the latest - that made me very happy.

http://www.amazon.com/Album-Produced-By/product-reviews/1468560581/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending
Great reviews!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2012, 08:28:04 AM »

TOD:

Shows I saw in my "formative" years were all produced at the Greenville (SC) Little Theater.  Occasionally, professionals would be hired to portray leading characters, but I cannot recall names.  I do know there was one gent with white hair who was in one of these plays and I later saw him on TV and in films.  The only name that comes to mind is "Murray" something.

Shows I saw include:  "The Odd Couple", "Stop the World, I Want to Get Off", "Brigadoon" and "The Unsinkable Molly Brown."  I also saw a production in the 1980s done by a different theater group in Greenville.  It was a superb, locally cast "That Championship Season."

The Greenville Little Theater was under the leadership (during those years, long, long ago) of Robert Hemphill McClain, who was known for his keen eye and insistence on the very best quality in staging, scene design and costume design.  He cast seasoned players and I never saw a show that had a single weak performer/performance.

Since living in the Bay Area, I've seen professional shows (not a slew, mind you).  I saw the pre-Broadway "Wicked" with Chenoweth/Mendel/Morse twice...once at the start of the run and one at the end.  I saw the pre-Broadway "La Boheme" (Baz Luhrmann).  I saw the pre-Broadway "A Chorus Line" revival with Charlotte d'Amboise.  Also in San Francisco, I have seen the wonderful road company of "Annie," the seasonal (and last SF performance, thus far) of "White Christmas", and the glorious "South Pacific" revival (with a disappointing Emile deBecque).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Doug R

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2012, 08:28:55 AM »

I am now paying the equivalent of $138 a month for broadband, phone line and satellite TV subscription. No wonder I can't afford Blu-rays  :o

John G.

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2012, 08:30:44 AM »

Gary Sandy...now there's a name I haven't stumbled across in a long, long time.   Not since "WKRP in Cincinnati", actually.

I think he was the first celebrity I ever interviewed. He was in Lexington, Ky., for something after "WKRP" left the air and I got to sit down with him for a  half-hour in a new restaurant bar or so and later for drinks in the same bar. He was friends of the owner from way back, as I recall.

If you have BK's "Best Little Whorehouse" with Ann-Margaret, he's on that.  
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2012, 08:33:26 AM »

TOD: My first professional show to have seen was a tour of "A Chorus Line" (from the last row). Of course, being young and knowing nothing about show biz, I didn't get it. But I enjoyed it. The second professional show was a tour of "The Sound of Music," when I took both of my kids because DR Sandra's best friend from preschool was Gretl (They hired local children). The next one was "Phantom of the Opera," and I've told that story before. DR Sandra and I saw that in LA when she was 7. After that, I bought season tickets to the tours here and to some local theaters.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »

I am now paying the equivalent of $138 a month for broadband, phone line and satellite TV subscription. No wonder I can't afford Blu-rays  :o

You're getting off cheap.  If you add our Comcast and DirecTV bills, they're well over $200/month.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Doug R

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2012, 08:39:48 AM »

You're getting off cheap.  If you add our Comcast and DirecTV bills, they're well over $200/month.

I feel much better  ;D

Ginny

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2012, 08:40:45 AM »

Richard and I just gave in and turned on the air conditioning for the first time this year.  Not so much because of the temperature, but the humidity.  When the chairs won't slide smoothly on the kitchen floor and the covers of our paperback books begin to curl we know it's time!

Laura

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2012, 09:04:23 AM »

Ours is on, too, Ginny. Until the end of October.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2012, 09:11:45 AM »

Yes DR DOUG R - my television & interweb are about $180 a month....and we have a different phone carrier for about $60 or so per month.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2012, 09:12:26 AM »

We are about ready for the AC as well since we had some 80+ degree temps yesterday.

Doug R

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2012, 09:14:59 AM »

TOD:

That's difficult. I remember the first play I was in which was the farce "Dry Rot." Plays in London which I saw were "The Mousetrap", "No Man's Land" with John Gielgud and Ralph Richardson, "Harvey" with James Stewart. Also remember seeing Tommy Steele in "She Stoops to Conquer" in 1960 at the Old Vic!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2012, 09:49:53 AM »

I almost saw that production of ARSENIC AND OLD LACE.  When I was in school, one of the theatre classes took a trip up to NYC to see it.  There were extra tickets and the instructor offered me one, so I went along.  However, a few of us decided it would be more fun to bop around Rockerfeller Center instead of going to the play.

I don't think Jonathan Frid did the show on B'way.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2012, 09:53:54 AM »

Gary Sandy...now there's a name I haven't stumbled across in a long, long time.   Not since "WKRP in Cincinnati", actually.

I've been watching WKRP on Sunday nights on Antenna TV the past few weeks.  I'd forgotten how much I loved that show.  That cast was wonderful!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2012, 09:58:25 AM »

Speaking of Jonathan Frid, is anyone planning on forking over $400 for the Dark Shadows: The Complete Original Series set?
-- Anaïs Nin

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2012, 10:08:13 AM »

And welcome Thursday!

Hello, goodbye

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2012, 10:11:46 AM »

I've been to the Dr this morning to get my thumb checked out.  I have a case of "trigger finger" and have some exercises to do and some drugs to take to get this taken care of.  At least there is no brace to deal with and my keyboard career is not affected.  Today, my #2 schnauzer DD Manny, turns 3.  He's the one with the chip on his shoulder and doesn't get along with DD Ben (new to the clan, as you might know, or not)  But nevertheless, he's 3 and we love him, like all of our boys.  Someday, they will all get along, I'm sure.  Tonight, it's back to Annie

John G.

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2012, 10:23:35 AM »

Thumbs up vibes for Matthew. (I couldn't resist that one.)
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2012, 10:35:51 AM »

DR DtM - he was a replacement for Abe Vigoda in the Broadway revival when Marion Ross took over for Polly Holliday and Larry Storch also took over for William Hickey.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2012, 10:36:29 AM »

Speaking of Jonathan Frid, is anyone planning on forking over $400 for the Dark Shadows: The Complete Original Series set?
\\

NO....I have them all that I downloaded now and then when available on the computer.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2012, 10:37:57 AM »

TOD:

That's difficult. I remember the first play I was in which was the farce "Dry Rot." Plays in London which I saw were "The Mousetrap", "No Man's Land" with John Gielgud and Ralph Richardson, "Harvey" with James Stewart. Also remember seeing Tommy Steele in "She Stoops to Conquer" in 1960 at the Old Vic!

One of my favorite theater stories is when Sir Ralph Richardson was appearing in a play that he didn't like very much.  One night he stopped in mid performance and clutched his chest and asked:  "Is there a doctor in the house?

A voice from the audience replied:  "I'm a doctor."

Richardson then said:  "Doctor, isn't this play awful?"

John G.

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2012, 10:52:44 AM »

One more.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up