Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLICKS  (Read 9433 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re: FLICKS
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2012, 07:55:24 PM »

Wow!  You've also opened for Kevyn Lettau, longtime vocalist for Sergio.

I should pay better attention  - I had no idea!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #151 on: May 11, 2012, 07:57:30 PM »

My YouTube results include stock analysts and podiatrists.   ::)  ;D

good -my feet hurt - come on over

vixmom

« Reply #152 on: May 11, 2012, 07:59:52 PM »

BTW JMK , have you heard that Edmundo Ros will be scoring the unedited version of Downton Abbey?

I am surprised you hadn't mentioned it

vixmom

« Reply #153 on: May 11, 2012, 08:10:37 PM »

I just stumbled across one of my favorite scenes from TV  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HvmtbZzA40

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #154 on: May 11, 2012, 08:17:18 PM »

BTW JMK , have you heard that Edmundo Ros will be scoring the unedited version of Downton Abbey?

I was too busy reading RLP's posts about ABC.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

« Reply #155 on: May 11, 2012, 08:21:58 PM »

oh and another one!  And I never realized Tom Hanks was in this!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACF4XDznGEs

vixmom

« Reply #156 on: May 11, 2012, 08:22:57 PM »

I was too busy reading RLP's posts about ABC.   ;D

:D :D :D

vixmom

« Reply #157 on: May 11, 2012, 08:24:16 PM »

Elmore's reached a posting plateau!!

;D

congratulations on your new millstone elmore!!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #158 on: May 11, 2012, 08:28:25 PM »

Keith, Sherlock and I went out for an early Mother's Day lunch.  We were able to sit in the corner by the window of the hotel lobby.  Sherlock enjoyed the comfort of the carpets & all the attention he received from the staff and hotel guests.
Sounds nice.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #159 on: May 11, 2012, 08:36:59 PM »

I received a mint souvenir book from the 1969 Goodbye, Mr. Chips today.  Betsy came home and immediately went over and began repeatedly tapping the cover with her long, pointed fingernail, asking, "Who's that actress again?"  "Well, it was Petula Clark before you obliterated her face."   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

John G.

« Reply #160 on: May 11, 2012, 08:41:20 PM »

Went to the opening of a new catering venue  tonight. The chef/owner has created Mexican villa in the middle of a rather unkempt part of town. In front of the house was a gorgeous koi pond with about 25 fish in it and a really nice flagstone that you could stand on to see them better. I hope there was no heron in the vicinity.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #161 on: May 11, 2012, 09:08:13 PM »

Nothing says San Antonio hospitality like a freshly made margarita.

― Voltaire

Cillaliz

« Reply #162 on: May 11, 2012, 09:19:26 PM »

I am ver tired and haven't caught up yet, but had to tell you all I went to a fundraiser for a local news anchor who had to have a liver transplant.  I bought some raffle tickets and won the Merry Maids gift certificate.  2 merry maids for 3 hours!!! woo and hoo!!  Can I ever use that.   Think I'll schedule it the beginning of June so I can have them clean after I finish stripping the wall paper and painting the spare room over Memorial Day weekend.  Now I know the house will be clean to start the summer.

John G.

« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2012, 09:24:16 PM »

I am ver tired and haven't caught up yet, but had to tell you all I went to a fundraiser for a local news anchor who had to have a liver transplant.  I bought some raffle tickets and won the Merry Maids gift certificate.  2 merry maids for 3 hours!!! woo and hoo!!  Can I ever use that.   Think I'll schedule it the beginning of June so I can have them clean after I finish stripping the wall paper and painting the spare room over Memorial Day weekend.  Now I know the house will be clean to start the summer.
As I sit in my hovel, I am quite envious. Congratulations!
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2012, 09:32:15 PM »

I am back from GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, still smiling broadly from the outrageousness of it all and reveling in the fantastic score. This is one recording I am really looking forward to. There's so much cut from the OBC, especially in the Hugh Martin vocal and Trude Rittman dance arrangements, and they work beautifully with Don Walker's orchestrations. The cast is very good; I really like Rachel York, Simon Jones, Debrah Rush, and a very funny nerdish Aaron Lazar, who's a really handsome man. I'm still out on Megan Hilty, who I thought was perfect casting on paper but didn't seem outrageous enough to me in performance. She veers toward the Monroe version of Lorelei rather than Channing, but the Monroe film isn't nearly as funny as this  musical's libretto, and the libretto isn't as screamingly funny or as dark as the original, absolutely brilliant novel. 

The closest the musical gets to the novel is in the "Diamonds are A Girl's Best Friend" number in which she justifies herself. The brilliance of the humor in the novel, which is Lorelei's diary, comes from her lousy spelling, pretensions, off the cuff idiocy and playing the helpless baby doll combined with her  survival instincts as she reaches decisions, such as leaving a man who truly loves her for another who's wealthy but repellent, and justifies her behavior. The Lorelei of the musical is not the gold digging whorish idiot of the book; she's a dizzy, rather dumb, but likeable flapper who's surrounded by gentlemen wanting to protect her, set her up in a nice apartment and hope she's faithful. Hilty has a big bosom and a sense of humor, but the clownish side of the role isn't there for me. I feel the parody or caricature of the pretty little helpless and naive blonde needing male protection is what's missing along with a full realization of Lorelei's general stupidity. In the first number, "Bye Bye Baby," Lorelei sings to Gus, her sugar daddy, "I'll be with my diary and that book by Mr Gideon." She's dumb and doesn't know it's the Bible, but Hilty sings it was an "Amen" pose that says she does know, and I think that's wrong. I did like her and Simon's "It's Delightful Down In Chile" very much, and she delivers a good "Diamonfds Are A Girl's Best Friend." I think she could have poured on the Arkansas accent a bit more/

Randy Skinner's choreography is wonderful, from the great "I Love What I'm Doing When I'm Doing It For Love" number for the barechested Olympic team and Dorothy to the wonderful ballet isetting of "Sunshine." And then, in Act Two, Randy brings down the house with "Mamie Is Mimi" for two black tap dancers and Gloria, the always precticing chorus girl. It's a wonderful show. And if you've never read the novel, you should. It's funny. Very funny.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #165 on: May 11, 2012, 09:42:13 PM »

I am back from GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, still smiling broadly from the outrageousness of it all and reveling in the fantastic score. This is one recording I am really looking forward to. There's so much cut from the OBC, especially in the Hugh Martin vocal and Trude Rittman dance arrangements, and they work beautifully with Don Walker's orchestrations. The cast is very good; I really like Rachel York, Simon Jones, Debrah Rush, and a very funny nerdish Aaron Lazar, who's a really handsome man. I'm still out on Megan Hilty, who I thought was perfect casting on paper but didn't seem outrageous enough to me in performance. She veers toward the Monroe version of Lorelei rather than Channing, but the Monroe film isn't nearly as funny as this  musical's libretto, and the libretto isn't as screamingly funny or as dark as the original, absolutely brilliant novel. 

The closest the musical gets to the novel is in the "Diamonds are A Girl's Best Friend" number in which she justifies herself. The brilliance of the humor in the novel, which is Lorelei's diary, comes from her lousy spelling, pretensions, off the cuff idiocy and playing the helpless baby doll combined with her  survival instincts as she reaches decisions, such as leaving a man who truly loves her for another who's wealthy but repellent, and justifies her behavior. The Lorelei of the musical is not the gold digging whorish idiot of the book; she's a dizzy, rather dumb, but likeable flapper who's surrounded by gentlemen wanting to protect her, set her up in a nice apartment and hope she's faithful. Hilty has a big bosom and a sense of humor, but the clownish side of the role isn't there for me. I feel the parody or caricature of the pretty little helpless and naive blonde needing male protection is what's missing along with a full realization of Lorelei's general stupidity. In the first number, "Bye Bye Baby," Lorelei sings to Gus, her sugar daddy, "I'll be with my diary and that book by Mr Gideon." She's dumb and doesn't know it's the Bible, but Hilty sings it was an "Amen" pose that says she does know, and I think that's wrong. I did like her and Simon's "It's Delightful Down In Chile" very much, and she delivers a good "Diamonfds Are A Girl's Best Friend." I think she could have poured on the Arkansas accent a bit more/

Randy Skinner's choreography is wonderful, from the great "I Love What I'm Doing When I'm Doing It For Love" number for the barechested Olympic team and Dorothy to the wonderful ballet isetting of "Sunshine." And then, in Act Two, Randy brings down the house with "Mamie Is Mimi" for two black tap dancers and Gloria, the always precticing chorus girl. It's a wonderful show. And if you've never read the novel, you should. It's funny. Very funny.
Are they recording it? I would love to hear those Hugh Martin vocal arrangements.

And that book is a riot. I remember reading it years ago and loving most every word.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 09:43:59 PM by John G. »
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #166 on: May 11, 2012, 10:13:46 PM »

Night, all.
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2012, 12:06:12 AM »

Was it DR jane who asked about BODY OF PROOF.

From what i read it was renewed.

But GCB was cancelled. :(

I watch both of these shows. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2012, 12:08:05 AM »

Also cancelled:

Harry's Law :(
Secret Circle :(
Ringer
Pan Am
Missing
The River.

Renewed:

Nikita, gossip girl, hart of dixie (all from the CW).

Of these, the only ones I watched were "Harry's Law" and "Pan Am."  "The River" starred Eloise Mumford who's from Olympia, Washington!  I remember seeing her in local community theater productions.  She still definitely has a career ahead of her.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2012, 12:25:02 AM »

I am back from GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, still smiling broadly from the outrageousness of it all and reveling in the fantastic score. This is one recording I am really looking forward to. There's so much cut from the OBC, especially in the Hugh Martin vocal and Trude Rittman dance arrangements, and they work beautifully with Don Walker's orchestrations.

And speaking of Hugh Martin and his involvement with BLONDES...have you read this article on Playbill.com by Encores! music director Rob Berman?:

Singing the Praises of Arranger Hugh Martin, Who Gave Blondes a Special Musical Curl.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 12:27:52 AM by George »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up