Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PRESTIDIGITATION  (Read 23706 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:PRESTIDIGITATION
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2004, 06:00:03 AM »

I love magic!  

I love mystical magic, natural magic, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, and I Dream of Jeannie/Samantha Stevens magic.  I especially love magic acts.  I love everything from the simple, close-up slight-of-hand tricks of Harry Blackstone (Jr and Sr) to the extravaganvic illusionist acts of David Copperfield.  When I see a good trick, I instantly revert to kid-mode, my mouth agage and blurting "How did he do that?"  

What I don't like are all the David Copperfield clones that popped up over the years--good looking guys who have no feel or panache for magic.  Likewise, I don't like the latest bumper crop of punk magicians who are David Blaine knock-offs (I don't really like Blaine, for that matter.)

I can do two good magic tricks--I can make a quarter cry, and then I can rub it into my elbow and make it disappear.  I can get away with doing these tricks once in front of adults.  Twice, in front of kids and dumb adults.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2004, 06:04:09 AM »

Page Two Pasta Salad Ingredients Dance!

SWW, for a good pasta salad, make a Greek salad without the lettuce.  In its place add shell or penne pasta and some sauted spinache.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2004, 06:06:49 AM »

Dan (the Man),

I think your pasta salad is going to be tonight's dinner. For once I have all the ingredients on hand.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2004, 06:10:33 AM »

Even though I don't care for the show itself, some of the magic is THE MAGIC SHOW is really remarkable... and I saw it at a theatre which was in the ¾round.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2004, 06:17:18 AM »

Never cared much for magic, so I don't have anything to add to today's TOD.

Never much cared for pop music (I like it alright, but to this day, I don't really own a rock/pop album by any of the singers/composers/lyricists named above), so I don't really have anything to add to todays's sub-TOD.

My DP (dear partner, in internet lingo) makes a pasta salad similar to BK's, except he also adds chopped celery, chopped seeded cucumber, julienned carrots, and shredded cheese, usually mild cheddar.  All topped with a fancy sprinkling or two of paprika.  It's yummy, and I could eat it all day.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2004, 06:18:11 AM »

BTW, I do think "Magic to Do" is one of the most ingratiating opening numbers in the history of Broadway.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2004, 06:24:39 AM »

In this week's ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY, the editors have chosen THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (the original) as one of their Hot 100 or some other such silly label.

In the write-up for why it was chosen, there are some quotes by Angela Lansbury who expressed her dismay with the very notion of remaking the film and her extreme disappointment with Meryl Streep for agreeing to be in it. You could sense intensely Angela's deep frustration that "her" film had been remade and that an actress the calibre of Meryl Streep would think it was a good idea.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2004, 07:10:54 AM »

Aside from most of the singer/songwriters already mentioned, I also like Dave Matthews and Suzanne Vega.  
-- Anaïs Nin

mrkdl73

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2004, 07:12:25 AM »

As a child I was very much into magic tricks and had several, most of which came from the toy store and were made my Fisher-Price, so you can only imagine what bright colors they had.  I used to put on magic shows in my backyard,  along with circuses.  (When I put on my musicals, they were always in my living room, too sophisticated for the outdoors.)  

Anyway, I think my favorite magic is one called "Origami" where there's this box, the magician unfolds it and it becomes bigger, a girl gets in, said box is refolded down to a smaller size, has three or four "swords" inserted into it, said swords get removed, box is unfolded and the assistant jumps out, (in a whole new costume, mind you).  It bothers me that I don't know how it's done.  I could watch it for hours.  I could never be a magician's assistant or do a show with magic in it, because I don't think I could keep the secrets and the last thing I would want is some magician to be mad at me.

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2004, 07:16:05 AM »

TCB, to answer your question from last night, Rhodes Reason played the sheriff in the TV series Bus Stop.

Welcome back Bad Penny JRand53! Keep an eye on today's mail!

Have a great trip Jason!!!!

Jose, has Matt Battaglia appeared on your TV screen yet?

I love magic and magic shows! Don't have a favorite trick..at least not of the magical variety!

I don't know who writes there own songs so I don't know if I can answer todays subTOD...my only thought is Mac McAnally (although I think I have spelled his name wrong)...but I love him as a singer and I do know he has written a number of songs.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2004, 07:27:23 AM »

Good morning. Singer-songwriters: Leonard Cohen!!! I love his music and the eccentric way he sings it. While we're talking about Canadians...How about Joni Mitchell? Gordon Lightfoot, Neil Young.

I think Dylan has already been mentioned. John Lennon.
And Tom Paxton. We could use another Tom Paxton today.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 07:37:03 AM by Panni »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2004, 07:50:03 AM »

My favorite pasta salad:

Boil water.  Add a serving of premium grade spaghetti noodles.  Add some salt about three minutes before cooking time is up.

Drain cooked noodles.

Return to pot.

Add pre-cooked meat sauce and toss.

Serve with crunchy hunks of garlic bread slathered in butter or olive oil.

Voila!  Pasta Salade Bolognese (or, spaghetti with meat sauce).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 08:11:41 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2004, 08:04:02 AM »

My candidate for "most-needs-plastic-surgery":

Robert Redford.  Not aging well...atall.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 08:04:24 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2004, 08:14:55 AM »

My candidate for "most-needs-plastic-surgery":

Robert Redford.  Not aging well...atall.

Well, freckled blondes often don't age well, and the fact that he spends so much of his time skiing and out in the sun doesn't help his complexion either.

He's so heart-stoppingly gorgeous in THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR, BUTCH CASSIDY, and THE STING that to see him now is something of a shock.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2004, 08:16:14 AM »

Mr. Sprinkler Man is out in back fixing what needs to be fixed.

No one can answer the various Merlin questions (save for the Nathan Lane one)?  Skammen.

Glad our Jrand is back!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2004, 08:17:42 AM »

Is our Jrand back?  I don't see any posts by Jrand.  Or is he just reading?  If so, we miss his posts and wish he would get his butt cheeks back on here.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2004, 08:21:34 AM »

Re:  TOD.  Well, let's go to Brasil, shall we, and mention the inimitable Milton Nascimento, Marcos Valle and Ivan Lins (just for starters).  Brasilian "pop" music is, I am humbled to admit, head and shoulders above 99% of the dreck we have been exposed to here for the past 20 or so years.  Lins' use of altered V7 chords in particular is so incredibly brilliant I can't stand it most of the time (some of you may be familiar with his tune "The Island," which has been recorded by everyone from Sergio Mendes to Johnny Mathis).

Re:  yesterday's trivia question for DR Charles Pogue:  the connection between Out of the Past and Toast of New York is the music!!  The song which keeps playing on the radio and in the underscore of Out of the Past is none other but "The First Time I Saw You," sung (kind of--she never claimed to be a singer) by Miss Frances Farmer at her lovely harp to Mr. Cary Grant in Toast of New York.  RKO recycled its music library almost as much as Universal, LOL.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2004, 08:22:43 AM »

JRand posted late last night. He must be sleeping in this morning or perhaps is immersed a thrilling episode of Hawaiian Eye!

Maybe we might have an Allison Hayes picture of the day today! That would be nice (for me anyhow! LOL!)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2004, 08:33:51 AM »

Which member of Mr. BK's Resident Recording Repertory company also appeared in Merlin (there are 4 CDs by this performer all produced by BK)?

Question 2, which Brat Pack member played Young Merlin/Arthur in this show?

Question 3. Who went from producing and directing Merlin to spreading Marshmallow Fluff all over the Upper West Side of Manhattan a year later?

Question 3 would be Ivan Reitman, who directed Ghostbusters.  I remember how hard it was to get the Marshmallow Fluff out of my hair.

Question 2 I'd bet it was Christian Slater, who did plenty of musicals as a mere boy.

Question 1 I really don't know, but that Brent Barrett certainly did a lot of BK recordings.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ben

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2004, 08:35:34 AM »

Two correct answers for our recently returned Noel (are you back, or posting poolside from LA?)

A clew (or clue) for the first question-Think carTOONs

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2004, 08:41:05 AM »

All is well with sprinklers.

JMK

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2004, 08:41:55 AM »

Is anyone else going crazy with the 20% off sale at Deep Discount DVD?  I have gotten tons of Criterions for as little as $17.00!!  You have to wait a while for delivery with the free shipping option, but it's still a great deal.  I am loathe to admit how much I've spent in the past few days (don't tell my wife--oh wait, she already knows).  :)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2004, 08:45:22 AM »

A clew (or clue) for the first question-Think carTOONs

Then it would be ....

Michelle Nicastro.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2004, 08:48:45 AM »

Michelle sings one of her Merlin songs (Beyond My Wildest Dreams) on one of the Unsung Musicals albums (probably UMII).

JMK

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2004, 08:49:49 AM »

TOD #2 (or #1, depending on which you answered first):  did anyone else catch the truly abominable new show last night on NBC, THEM?  (Totally Hidden Extreme Magic).  I'm sure the pitch was "It's Candid Camera meets David Copperfield."  Oy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2004, 09:08:10 AM »

New column up at http://dvds.allaccessworld.com - about our birthing pains, new look and name, and also a bit about the Dame Edna DVD.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2004, 09:27:58 AM »

Good Morning!  Oh - It's already Good Afternoon!

DR JMK: If you check one of my early morning posts, I did catch "THEM" last night on NBC.  I kind of liked it.  However, the amount of editing did drive me crazy - you never really got to see any of the tricks straight through since they kept going back and forth between the various "victims".  I'll have to check out the overnight ratings... Not! ;)

-Why, oh why did I buy a bag of Boston Baked Beans last night at the grocery store?!?!?  Why?  Well, they were on sale, but that wasn't the only reason of course.  Ah, well...

WOW!  The Noon News here on the NBC affiliate just ended - it's just 12:26pm - at least according to their on screen clock?!?!?  Hmm...  They usually go right to 11:30, or at least 11:29 - slow news day I guess.
Make Your Own Luck.

Emily

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2004, 09:36:00 AM »

Good morning all!

In honour of it being St-Jean-Baptiste Day (the national fête of Quebec) I proudly present....

Virtual Poutine:

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2004, 09:36:51 AM »

oooh... and I have to agree with Jose about Ben Folds.  His music is so much fun to listen to.

How great would a Ben Folds musical be?  Maybe we should start a letter writing campaign :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2004, 09:38:44 AM »

Singer/Songwriters.  McCartney.  Lennon.  Kenny Loggins.  Jim Webb (better known for others singing his songs, but I like his versions).  Mason Williams.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up