Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I LOOK UP, I LOOK DOWN  (Read 9490 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
I LOOK UP, I LOOK DOWN
« on: May 12, 2012, 12:27:42 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes perhaps gave you vertigo, and now it is time for you to post until the vertiginous cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: I LOOK UP, I LOOK DOWN
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 12:35:11 AM »

And the word of the day is: UNGULATE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 12:36:38 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday to the errant and truant and probably gone forever dear reader Sam.  I probably know the reasons, which has nothing to do with this here site, me, or anyone else here.

ChasSmith

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 04:55:04 AM »

What, I'm the first one up this fine vertiginous Saturday a.m.?  It's because I must drive from Cincinnati to Columbus and later to Morgantown WV.  Then back home tomorrow evening.  I must look up and look down whilst watching my speed on I-71 and I-70.

ChasSmith

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 04:57:41 AM »

More than happy to provide a body and purchase a book or books on June 15th.

Typed July at first.  Which is odd, because on July 15th I'll be far far away in the Sunrise State. 

Or is it Sunshine State.  I shouldn't try to type or think this early.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 05:13:12 AM by ChasSmith »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 05:12:57 AM »

Congrats to DR ELMORE on this millstone.

DR VIXMOM I will be happy to join your band if you can afford me.

Thanks also to DR ELMORE for the BLONDES report.  I have only seen the movie.....but from the moment Jane and Marilyn appeared onscreen in those red dresses and singing "Two Little Girls from Little Rock" - it became one of my favorites.

And I also especially liked it when that man accused Marilyn of marrying his son for his money.....and Marilyn replied:  "I'm not marrying him for his money.....I'm marrying him for YOUR money!"   And when she doesn't know how to wear a tiara and toys with putting it on one breast or the other and is astonished when Jane tells her to put it on her head:  "I just adore finding new places to wear diamonds!"

And of course Jane, who after coming up with a plan to get the film out of the pocket of the detective:  "If between the two of us, we can't get a man's pants off, we're not worthy of the name woman."
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 05:15:59 AM »

I enjoyed seeing my nephew's band last night, in a rather small jernt called Locals Only.  Everyone in the band is a fine musician, and their songs are good.  I am glad I went.  This was their third gig in a couple of months, and now they are off until September - unless something else comes up.....

The other band was good, too - but their drummer didn't show up....show it was hard to tell about their music.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 05:16:15 AM »

And now it is Saturday, and I am off to work.  Oh well.

KevinH

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 05:49:56 AM »

Good morning!

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 05:50:26 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Sam!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 06:09:00 AM »

Good morning, all! By the time I got to bed it was 1am, about 2-3 hours later than I usually turn off the lights, so I slept in this morning until 8:15. I remember dreams but they're quite vague now.

DR John G, the Styne estate is funding a new recording of BLONDES. Rob Berman didn't have the recording dates last night, but I think the recording will be wonderful, and it will be great to have more of the score.

DR JRand61, I, too, love the Monroe-Russell film, but it's not as funny as the stage libretto, which is closer to the novel, and I think you would love the novel. I do think the great Monroe is funnier than Hilty, but the film's a different show nd Hilty's not giving the musical the drop-dead comedy center it demands; the people around her, expecially the two the French attorneys Robber (Robert) and Louee, are so outrageous, that Hilty seems cautious and too real, and not funny enough. Miss Piggy wold be a great Lorelei.

Since Monroe's line about finding new places to wear diamonds is in the novel, I was surprised it wasn't in the show last night, I wonder if David Ives' "stage adaptation" cut it? I like him personally and I love his plays, but Im not always happy with his Encores! edits.

So, today I'm here until 11 or so, then I head downtown to the Encores! luncheon, which I have not attended for some time. I'll see a few friends and a few people I'd never want to see again, and I'll hopefully make a few new ones. After that, I'm back here to chill out.

BK, I look forward to seeing you in June!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 06:10:13 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 06:12:08 AM »

Good morning, all! By the time I got to bed it was 1am, about 2-3 hours later than I usually turn off the lights, so I slept in this morning until 8:15. I remember dreams but they're quite vague now.

DR John G, the Styne estate is funding a new recording of BLONDES. Rob Berman didn't have the recording dates last night, but I think the recording will be wonderful, and it will be great to have more of the score.

DR JRand61, I, too, love the Monroe-Russell film, but it's not as funny as the stage libretto, which is closer to the novel, and I think you would love the novel. I do think the great Monroe is funnier than Hilty, but the film's a different show nd Hilty's not giving the musical the drop-dead comedy center it demands; the people around her, expecially the two the French attorneys Robber (Robert) and Louee, are so outrageous, that Hilty seems cautious and too real, and not funny enough. Miss Piggy wold be a great Lorelei.

Since Monroe's line about finding new places to wear diamonds is in the novel, I was surprised it wasn't in the show last night, I wonder if David Ives' "stage adaptation" cut it? I like him personally and I love his plays, but Im not always happy with his Encores! edits.

So, today I'm here until 11 or so, then I head downtown to the Encores! luncheon, which I have not attended for some time. I'll see a few friends and a few people I'd never want to see again, and I'll hopefully make a few new ones. After that, I'm back here to chill out.

BK, I look forward to seeing you in June!
So, all of the Encores shows this season will have recordings. That's greatnews. I hope this recording far surpasses the one with KT Sullivan. I'm also looking forward to the "Pipe Dream" recording.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 06:12:48 AM »

And I guess, Elmore, you didn't care for Filichia on Friday this week.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 06:29:33 AM »

TOD:

There would be some multiple CD sets, like the complete Schubert symphonies and the Ralph Vaughn Williams set that I have. But here are are some others:

Mahler's 1st or "Titan" Symphony
Bernstein's last concert, Britten's "Sea Scapes" and Beethoven's 7th Symphony
Glenn Gould's "Goldberg Variations"
A Bruckner, any Bruckner, but maybe the 7th Symphony
Barber, "Knoxville: Summer of 1915"
A Passion for Baroque from the local Cactus Pear chamber music society
Philip Glass' Violin Concerto No. 2
Sibelius' Finlandia

I left out opera.

― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 06:46:05 AM »

And I guess, Elmore, you didn't care for Filichia on Friday this week.

Peter's a frend, but I haven't read this week's column.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 06:51:49 AM »

If you're reading here, happy birthday, Sam!

FJL

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 06:52:02 AM »

John Simon is 87 today!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 07:00:46 AM »

I just read his column. I disagree with both him and Brantly: Hilty's good, but she's not a natural clown and she thinks too realistically. Good moments do not make the role. She might be better with another week of rehearsal, but wouldsn't everyone?

As far as the TOD:
Knoxville, Summer of 1915 (Dawn Upshaw)
Stravinsky: The Rake's Progress
Britten: Albert Herring or The Beggar's Opera
Handel Messiah: Colin Davis 1966 recording
Dvorak: Slavonic Dances
Offenbach: Les Contes d'Hoffmann (Cluytens with Jobin)
Bizet: Carmen (Beecham with Vicotria de los Angeles)
Mozart: Marriage of Figaro (Giulini with Schwarzkopf, Moffo)
Bernstein: Candide (OBC)
Smetana: The Bartered Bride

Doug R

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 07:02:11 AM »

The weather has brightened up at last so I've been out buying plants and filling up the hanging baskets and flower containers.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 07:13:37 AM »

And the word of the day is: UNGULATE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  BABY ELEPHANT WALK

Ginny

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 07:41:27 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  My friend Tamara and I had an interesting trip to the University of Cincinnati to hear Myriam Chancy speak and read from 2 of her novels.  Friday afternoon traffic made for nerve-wracking trips both ways, but we stopped at Panera for a light supper and that calmed me down quite a bit.  I vegged in front of the TV with Richard and went to bed early.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 07:42:16 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to DR Sam, who thinks I'm cute  ;)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 07:43:01 AM »

Richard and I have some errands to run together today in the south Dayton 'burbs.

Ginny

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 07:43:42 AM »

DR Jennifer, I was the one who asked about BODY OF PROOF and am thrilled to hear of its renewal.  Thanks!

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 07:44:10 AM »

Congratulations to DR Elmore on yesterday's milestone - see you soon!

Laura

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 08:08:42 AM »

Congrats on your millstone, Elmore!

Kerry

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 08:16:08 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR SAM!
I like boat races.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2012, 08:18:20 AM »

Hi, I'm here, sorta.  Was e&t yesterday, unintentional.  Same funk today. 

hello, goodbye

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2012, 08:24:39 AM »

Could one of you very smart people help me?  the weather page of The Oregonian is filled with these weird yellow discs for the next week.  Does anyone know what that means?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up