Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HOLLYWOOD WAY  (Read 9334 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE HOLLYWOOD WAY
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 07:38:07 AM »

I am a big fan of the original "DOA" and would love to have seen Charles Pogue's vision of resuscitating the story. But I think I'll pass on watching what was actually done with it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 07:38:20 AM »

Page Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 07:43:24 AM »

This story held me in awe from almost the first word. The possibilities of how this could help people who are paralyzed is just incredible.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/paralyzed-woman-moves-robotic-arm-with-her-thoughts/2012/05/16/gIQAd52hUU_story.html
― Voltaire

Ben

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2012, 07:45:13 AM »

Happy Birthday to French composer Erik Alfred Leslie Satie who was born this day in 1866.

Satie

was born in one of my favorite cities in the entire world

Honfleur

in Normandy, France, Europe.

They turned his house into a small museum, which I visited when I spent 6 weeks in Honfleur (in 1988).

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2012, 08:23:16 AM »

More on the film version of "Lucky Stiff."

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/166061-Christopher-Ashley-Will-Direct-Film-of-Lucky-Stiff-Starring-Jason-Alexander-Nikki-M-James-Dominic-Marsh-Jayne-Houdyshell

Lucky Stiff does not need additional songs.  And I'm SO not a Jason Alexander fan.  Lynn Ahrens has my email address, why didn't she ask me what I thought??

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2012, 08:37:42 AM »

Travel vibes for DR Cillaliz!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Laura

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2012, 08:40:33 AM »

Good morning.

"That's a lotta hamsters."

Cillaliz

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 08:43:47 AM »

Thanks for the travel vibes.  I'm at the airport in Omaha.  Tons of people flying all sorts of places today. Usually it's pretty quiet here. 

John G.

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2012, 08:44:21 AM »

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/166061-Christopher-Ashley-Will-Direct-Film-of-Lucky-Stiff-Starring-Jason-Alexander-Nikki-M-James-Dominic-Marsh-Jayne-Houdyshell

Lucky Stiff does not need additional songs.  And I'm SO not a Jason Alexander fan.  Lynn Ahrens has my email address, why didn't she ask me what I thought??
Inquiring minds want to know. Alexander's not the star, and his part is not too huge, so ...
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2012, 08:46:19 AM »

Thanks for the travel vibes.  I'm at the airport in Omaha.  Tons of people flying all sorts of places today. Usually it's pretty quiet here. 
Today's USA Today has two barbecue places in Memphis listed as don't miss places. Who has the best butt in the South?

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/dispatches/post/2012/05/who-has-the-best-butt-in-the-south/694123/1

― Voltaire

Cillaliz

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2012, 08:46:46 AM »

think i'll sign off and read my nook.  Laters

Cillaliz

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2012, 08:49:18 AM »

Today's USA Today has two barbecue places in Memphis listed as don't miss places. Who has the best butt in the South?

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/dispatches/post/2012/05/who-has-the-best-butt-in-the-south/694123/1

I'm thinking at least one of those catered a lunch for us last year.....I'll let you know.  This seminar has catered lunches included in the seminar fee, one barbeque and one some other ethnic delight.   Tonight the welcome dinner is here http://www.hogsfly.com/

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2012, 08:51:31 AM »

Inquiring minds want to know. Alexander's not the star, and his part is not too huge, so ...

I see that now that Alexander's not the star.  But I'm still not a fan.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2012, 08:54:54 AM »

I saw DOA at a cast and crew screening and have not watched it since.  I hate, hate, hate that movie.  Jeff Katzenberg said, "I don't think we got your film and I don't think we got our (the studio's) film but I think we got something interesting."  No, Jeff, if we didn't get the film either of us wanted and thought we had, then someone dropped the ball somewhere and didn't exercise the control and power they should have had over the project...and since no one gave me that control or power, I guess the blame ends up in the studio's lap.  He also told me at one time about the directors, "We have to let them make their film, they're artists."  I was heard to mutter:  "What the fuck do you think I am?"
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:04:41 AM by Charles Pogue »

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2012, 09:00:08 AM »

I saw DOA at a cast and crew screening and have not watched it since.  I hate, hate, hate that movie.  Jeff Katzenberg said, "I don't think we got your film and I don't think we got our (the studio's) film but I think we got something interesting."  No, Jeff, if we didn't get the film either of us wanted and thought we had, then someone dropped the ball somewhere and didn't exercise the control and power they should have had over the project...and since no one gave me that control or power, I guess the blame ends up in the studio's lap.  He also told me at one time about the directors, "We have to let them make their film, their artists."  I was heard to mutter:  "What the fuck do you think I am?"

I feel exactly the same way about my film, DILLINGER AND CAPONE.

it was high concept, and had it been done right....

:'(
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2012, 09:08:57 AM »

Just read that Donna Summer has died.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2012, 09:16:24 AM »

We are about to leave for our local cemetery, where Fr. Richard will conduct a graveside funeral service for the father of a friend.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2012, 09:30:46 AM »

Beautiful weather for the occasion DR GINNY.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2012, 09:31:04 AM »

Whew.....lots of time spent dancing to her music!

John G.

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2012, 09:37:34 AM »

Whew.....lots of time spent dancing to her music!
Me, too. That double live album of hers got a lot of play on my turntable.
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2012, 09:45:06 AM »

Yup....and her duet with Barbra Streisand - wasn't that Enough Is Enough?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2012, 09:48:29 AM »

Those directors were anything but "artists" and a look at their "filmography" will tell you that.  They should never have been hired in the first place, but that sort of thing was rampant in the 1980s.  Jonathan Demme - now he probably would have made an interesting film.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2012, 09:48:44 AM »

Sorry to hear about Donna Summer - I was a very big fan.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2012, 09:49:10 AM »

I'm up - helper was here at eight, musical director just a few minutes ago, and in a little while I'll go ship a package.

Doug R

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2012, 10:21:36 AM »

Sorry to hear about Donna Summer - I was a very big fan.

Yes - so very sad. I was a fan as well.

Doug R

« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2012, 10:24:33 AM »

I drove close to the Olympic site today and got stopped by security (security is very tight in the area). They had a sniffer dog which examined my car thoroughly. Good to know that suspicious people like me are beng targetted!

Laura

« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2012, 10:24:37 AM »

They'll rewrite the script and make Jason Alexander the star.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2012, 10:30:10 AM »

Happy Birthday to French composer Erik Alfred Leslie Satie who was born this day in 1866.

I once auditioned at a club and played something with a bunch of major 7ths in it and the owner said, "Sounds too much like Erik Satie."  I went right home and wrote a song entitled "Sounds Too Much Like Erik Satie."  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2012, 10:39:40 AM »

This whole thing about Lucky Stiff being filmed seems completely wacky to me.  It has no chance of getting any sort of release - so it must be a project that its producers hope will sell directly to video or cable.  And it must be VERY low budget because if it's costing over a million dollars they will lose every penny.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up