Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HOLLYWOOD WAY  (Read 9335 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE HOLLYWOOD WAY
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2012, 10:39:57 AM »

Forever Plaid found that out but quick.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2012, 11:06:31 AM »

Very exciting e-mail just received.  It looks like we'll be doing the soundtrack to the first season of the original Swedish series Wallander.  You have no idea how happy this makes me.  It took some doing - I began thinking about this a month ago - but it looks like it's a go according to composer Adam Norden, who happily retained the rights to his music.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2012, 11:09:30 AM »

They'll rewrite the script and make Jason Alexander the star.

DR Laura - I wouldn't be surprised!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »

Very exciting e-mail just received.  It looks like we'll be doing the soundtrack to the first season of the original Swedish series Wallander.  You have no idea how happy this makes me.  It took some doing - I began thinking about this a month ago - but it looks like it's a go according to composer Adam Norden, who happily retained the rights to his music.

Good news!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2012, 11:42:59 AM »

They'll rewrite the script and make Jason Alexander the star.

DR Laura - I wouldn't be surprised!!!
I can hear it now:

"Mr. Alexander
Got a telegram?!"

Even though that wouldn't be character's name.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2012, 11:57:01 AM »

My next door neighbor in Los Angeles produced that, and they can't seem to give it away.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2012, 12:01:05 PM »

Amazon's CreateSpace announced today that they have opened up publishing operations in both Europe and the UK, so now any books published through them will now be available over there for a reasonable shipping cost.

:)
You can dream…or you can do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2012, 12:09:23 PM »

vibes for Elmore  for win win situation

~~~DITTO!! DITTO!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2012, 12:10:12 PM »

Just read that Donna Summer has died.

I read that this morning. :'(
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2012, 12:11:14 PM »

Whew.....lots of time spent dancing to her music!
Me, too. That double live album of hers got a lot of play on my turntable.

That was probably my favorite album when it first came out (and long before I did ;)).  I bought the CD a few years ago and even after not hearing it for years, I still knew all the songs and transitions and most of the lyrics.

John G.

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2012, 12:19:29 PM »

Whew.....lots of time spent dancing to her music!
Me, too. That double live album of hers got a lot of play on my turntable.

That was probably my favorite album when it first came out (and long before I did ;)).  I bought the CD a few years ago and even after not hearing it for years, I still knew all the songs and transitions and most of the lyrics.
That was how I was, George, when your CD brought "At Long Last Love" back to me last year. I knew every note of the orchestrations, every swallowed lyric, even the side patter that goes on. And I ate it up.

There was a disco-flavored soundtrack of the Donna Summer era, "Looking for Mr. Goodbar," that was the exact same for me.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2012, 12:23:19 PM »

My next door neighbor in Los Angeles produced that, and they can't seem to give it away.

Exactly.  They all think they're gonna strike it rich, but the market is not what it was and low-budget films of that budget range almost always lose everything.  Twenty years ago, completely different story.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2012, 12:24:20 PM »

Shipped package, and picked up two early arrival packages, but not the missing book.

Ginny

« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2012, 12:30:13 PM »

Beautiful weather for the occasion DR GINNY.

Absolutely, DR JRand!  When you have to do that sort of thing, this is the kind of day you want.  Sunny skies, cool breeze, low humidity. 

The service was short & sweet, as per Fr. Richard's style, with the added touch of the honor guard because Mr. Cox was a WWII veteran.  Mr. and Mrs. Cox were our neighbors in the house Richard owned when we were first married.  One of his daughters is a friend of mine, her husband and Richard were Scout leaders together, and their son Andrew has been a friend of Rob's since elementary school (he was a groomsman in Rob & Mary Linda's wedding).  Andrew's cousin Scott is married to one of my young AAUW friends.  Rob's off work today, so he was able to join us for the service and for the luncheon afterwards.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Doug R

« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2012, 12:38:01 PM »

Fantastic news. Congratulations!

George

« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2012, 12:54:55 PM »

I am a big fan of the original "DOA" and would love to have seen Charles Pogue's vision of resuscitating the story. But I think I'll pass on watching what was actually done with it.

Maybe Charles Pogue could write another book on how his original script was changed, like he did with "Dragonheart"...which, incidentally, also starred Dennis Quaid. 

Hmmm...maybe he can blame Dennis Quaid!

;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:57:18 PM by George »

George

« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2012, 12:57:39 PM »

Congrats, BK!

Laura

« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2012, 01:17:49 PM »

Gosh, he could have given one away to me. I just bought it.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2012, 01:45:31 PM »

Nice synchronicity DR GINNY.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2012, 01:45:45 PM »

Old television is recycled!

John G.

« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2012, 02:07:51 PM »

Exactly.  They all think they're gonna strike it rich, but the market is not what it was and low-budget films of that budget range almost always lose everything.  Twenty years ago, completely different story.
Well, they did a lot wrong with that movie. It was filmed in a theater. The actors, three of whom were in the original cast, had way toooooo much makeup on and their skin looked orange (in a very distracting way), and there was something lethargic about the whole film. I remember enjoying "Forever Plaid" and laughing out loud quite a few times in a theater, but nothing was all that lively, original or even fun on the big screen. It just sat there, like so much fish, to quote a master.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2012, 02:26:39 PM »

Well, they did a lot wrong with that movie. It was filmed in a theater. The actors, three of whom were in the original cast, had way toooooo much makeup on and their skin looked orange (in a very distracting way), and there was something lethargic about the whole film. I remember enjoying "Forever Plaid" and laughing out loud quite a few times in a theater, but nothing was all that lively, original or even fun on the big screen. It just sat there, like so much fish, to quote a master.

That was kind of my elusive point - it was a stupid idea to film as if it were a film.  They thought because it was low-budget (i.e. around a million bucks) that they couldn't lose and would probably make a big chunk of change.  But we're not in that world anymore, and no one cared and it was horribly done.  What will be different about Lucky Stiff?  This is some amateur's idea of what would make an inexpensive film musical - no one knows this show - NO ONE, and therefore it will fail completely.  It's nice that someone has a million bucks to throw at something that will be shot digitally and assembled, but in the end if they find someone gullible it may get to play a week somewhere in one city, and then it's straight to cable and Blu-ray.

John G.

« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2012, 02:35:50 PM »

In the Duly Noted department: Alan Menken has tweeted that there will be a Leap of Faith cast recording.

Leap of Faith, Bonnie & Clyde, Nick Jonas in "H2$." What won't they record?

Still wish we had James Joyce's "The Dead" though.
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2012, 02:47:17 PM »

DR Vixmom, no, yesterday's office visit was quite inconclusive for Mom, but thanks for asking.  There really is NO good solution to her problem.  We went grocery shopping for her afterwards and that always makes her feel better.

Did you stop at the liquor store?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

ChasSmith

« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2012, 02:48:52 PM »

Thanks for the reminder!   :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2012, 03:07:05 PM »

The meetng was three hours long but very profitable. Thank you for the vibes. Toyland is still rubble, but I feel more like a survivor of the original novel "War of the Worlds"or the Blitz than Gloria Swanson.

In the next month a movng crew will come in and tote to Cambridge 40-50 cartons of edits, scores, and not much else. Whatever is left behind needs to be discarded, given away or sold, I'm hoping, if we get our office, that we can purchase the shelving, copiers,and furniture.

Keep them office vibes coming!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2012, 03:08:22 PM »

DR Ginny, I definitely want to see you and Richard. My week is technically open, but a lot of my schedule depends on Joshie and the DEAREST ENEMY orchestra parts, which must be printed and taped ASAP while I still have an office space to work.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2012, 03:14:18 PM »

The image of cartons of scores being toted off somewhere makes me feel a bit faint.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2012, 03:16:42 PM »

Continued Office Vibes to DR ELMORE.

ChasSmith

« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2012, 03:19:43 PM »

Oh what the heck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up