Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BERRIES  (Read 8283 times)

MBarnum

Re: THE BERRIES
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2012, 09:51:40 AM »

TOD:

Spiders, heights, and losing people that I love.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2012, 10:12:56 AM »

From DR Laura:
I will say that I have never ridden a merry-go-round after seeing Strangers on a Train.

You must not have enjoyed them much to begin with.

Jane

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2012, 10:14:32 AM »

Last night, we had a great opening night for "Good Night Moon."  The audience was more than 75% filled...and since the place only holds about 120 people, it was a pretty full house.  Everything went really well.  At the beginning of the final preview the night before, I accidentally set off a sound cue early.  Last night, I accidentally set of a sound cue early at the end of the show.  Spoo.

It'll be perfect this afternoon. :D

To perfection! :)

Jane

« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2012, 10:16:07 AM »

It seems that my stomach problems have resurfaced and basically incapacitated me for the past few days and this morning has not startd off well. I've been sleeping a lot. My insurance company has given the go ahead to repeat a test I did last year that was not completely successful the first time.

GOOD HEALTH & TEST VIBES!!!!

Jane

« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2012, 10:16:53 AM »

The local cats have dug up the plants which I planted last weekend. I bought some large stones today and spread them over the compost which hopefully will stop them doing it again.

In my opinion cats should be kept inside for their safety and not to annoy the neighbors.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2012, 10:18:07 AM »

Vixmom, typically the earnest money is held in escrow until closing.  But because the buyers put so little down (way less than 1%), our realtor added a clause that they had to release those funds as soon as the appraisal came in.  It kind of "hooks" them into the deal, or at the very least gives us a pittance for our time and trouble should the deal not close.

I've been thinking, before you mentioned it, I would want something like this when we sell our house.

Jane

« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2012, 10:19:36 AM »

DR Jane I have definitely read THE OTHER DAUGHTER. But I would have to see the summary to see which book it is.

Quincy just made a brief appearance in the form of a phone call. :)

Jane

« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2012, 10:20:53 AM »

Since both DR Jane and DR Vixmom had no clue what I was talking about I wonder if there is a different term in the US. It is not done so much now but we did it a lot when I was little. At least one person takes the birthday person's head and at least one person takes their legs. And you lift them horizontally in the air. Once for each year and then once for good luck.

I'm not familiar with this custom.  Paddling on the behind, once for each year, used to be a custom I never followed.  Bumping sounds like fun, for a kid anyway.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2012, 10:32:29 AM »

Back from a two and a half mile jog.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2012, 10:53:11 AM »

TOD:

During my 30+ years as a Hollywood publicist, my worst fear was that somebody might discover that I didn't know what the hell I was doing.

::)

However seriously you may or may not have meant that, I honestly don't think that's such an unusual or uncommon fear.   8)

Probably half serious.

Except for knowing how to write a press release, I really had not formal training or contacts as a publicist when I opened my office.  I learned by doing the job, blindly at first.

Certainly I got proficient and became successful, but that feeling of being "found out" never really leaves you.

You can dream…or you can do.

Ginny

« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »

Grocery receipts tallied through March - gonna go pack & putter for a while!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2012, 12:13:19 PM »

This is what i found on wikipedia re: THE BUMPS

"The Bumps", a torment common in countries such as the U.K., Ireland, and the U.S., involves the friends and family of the person whose birthday it is taking him or her by the arms and legs, and "bumping" him/her up into the air and down onto the floor.The number of "bumps" given equals the age of the person in years plus one "for luck". Usually "the Bumps" are administered only to children, in part because as people grow up they become too heavy for the process.

The only thing is it's not a torment. They don't hit the ground. kids love it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2012, 12:31:15 PM »

I cannot tell you how wonderful HYSTERIA is. I enjoyed it immensely. It's intelligent, silly, ribald, moving, and altogether something I recommend.

The cast is wonderful, and the screenplay is about the hypocrisy of high Victorian society and th paradoxes: Rupert Everett is marvelous as the "sexual deviant" son of a newspaper magnate and his wife, played by the wonderful Gemma Jones, who look out for our leading man, High Dancy, who plays Mortimer Granville, a doctor whose intelligence prevents him from working well with ingnorant fools ("It's no wonder that morgues are situated next to hospitals" he cries in resentment), Jonathan Pryce is an arrogant prig whose two daughters represent the "proper Vicotrian maiden" and the suffragette/feminist, played to a tee by Maggie Gyllenhaal. My friend Kim Criswell plays an Italian opera singer suffering from hysteria who has an orgasm needing ro be seen to be believed, but all the ladies waiting for treatment are funny and most interesting.  Anna Chancellor, the evil Caroline Bingley from the Colin Firth PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, puts in an appearance as a patient. That I found very funny.

The show would be wonderful on Masterpiece Theatre,  but PBS might have a fit over the ribaldry. The scenery and costumes, from the slums to Buckingham Palace, are really excellent. Go see this movie.

It's quite extraordinary, and yet it's so much more than a film about the invention of the vibrator; it's a wonderful study of a period  where so much technology and advances are being made in all fields that affect our own lives. It's also quite a wonderful love story.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 12:46:30 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2012, 01:04:03 PM »

The local cats have dug up the plants which I planted last weekend. I bought some large stones today and spread them over the compost which hopefully will stop them doing it again.

In my opinion cats should be kept inside for their safety and not to annoy the neighbors.
Except my neighbors' cat likes me better his owners.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2012, 01:04:31 PM »

Back from stuff, including picking up a couple of packages - no, not the missing package - after twenty-one days missing I think it's safe to say it's not arriving.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2012, 01:08:07 PM »

I cannot tell you how wonderful HYSTERIA is. I enjoyed it immensely. It's intelligent, silly, ribald, moving, and altogether something I recommend.

The cast is wonderful, and the screenplay is about the hypocrisy of high Victorian society and th paradoxes: Rupert Everett is marvelous as the "sexual deviant" son of a newspaper magnate and his wife, played by the wonderful Gemma Jones, who look out for our leading man, High Dancy, who plays Mortimer Granville, a doctor whose intelligence prevents him from working well with ingnorant fools ("It's no wonder that morgues are situated next to hospitals" he cries in resentment), Jonathan Pryce is an arrogant prig whose two daughters represent the "proper Vicotrian maiden" and the suffragette/feminist, played to a tee by Maggie Gyllenhaal. My friend Kim Criswell plays an Italian opera singer suffering from hysteria who has an orgasm needing ro be seen to be believed, but all the ladies waiting for treatment are funny and most interesting.  Anna Chancellor, the evil Caroline Bingley from the Colin Firth PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, puts in an appearance as a patient. That I found very funny.

The show would be wonderful on Masterpiece Theatre,  but PBS might have a fit over the ribaldry. The scenery and costumes, from the slums to Buckingham Palace, are really excellent. Go see this movie.

It's quite extraordinary, and yet it's so much more than a film about the invention of the vibrator; it's a wonderful study of a period  where so much technology and advances are being made in all fields that affect our own lives. It's also quite a wonderful love story.
Did you see the play about this, the one that Laura Benanti was in? Is this a film version of that or a movie on the same topic?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2012, 01:21:23 PM »

There are people on IMDB claiming the movie is a ripoff of IN THE NEXT ROOM, but I don't know the play. It certainly doesn't use the name of the actual doctor, Mortimer Granvlle, nor does the plot from the review sound remotely similar:
http://theater.nytimes.com/2009/11/20/theater/reviews/20innextroom.html?pagewanted=all

It might have inspired interest in a British film examining the period and events, but the film covers so much more than treating hysterical women.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:24:14 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2012, 01:23:26 PM »

People on the imdb are amongst the stupidest, most ridiculous idiots ever.  Most of them are teens who can't even string three words together coherently.

ChasSmith

« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2012, 01:24:29 PM »

BERRIES!

I bought berries!  Wild Blueberries from Trader Joe's.  I love all the major berries, but the BLUES are something special.  I, uh, then picked up a quarter of French Vanilla.  To serve as a carrier, you understand.

I guess this wasn't my week to give up carbing.

ChasSmith

« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2012, 01:28:19 PM »

(I meant a quart.  Not a quarter.  But you knew that.)

Ginny

« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2012, 02:00:25 PM »

The grocery receipts are up-to-date as of May 13 and the church so far has earned about $76.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2012, 02:03:51 PM »

It really is a nice day today. Just rode my bike for an hour around the Lake. It was a bit tough on the way back. Now I am sitting outside and will read.

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2012, 02:07:01 PM »

DR Jane I have definitely read THE OTHER DAUGHTER. But I would have to see the summary to see which book it is.

Quincy just made a brief appearance in the form of a phone call. :)
  I keep reading your posts when I am not at my computer tto check. So is his daughter the narrator?

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2012, 02:10:20 PM »

I have to make a pasta salad for my niece's party tomorrow. And I have to decide if I am going to make some kind of chip dip. She has those scoops. I have sour cream but do not feel like making seven layer dip.

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2012, 02:11:45 PM »

I do have taco seasoning. Maybe i will check online to see if there is anything that sounds appeling that i can make with sour cream.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2012, 02:25:46 PM »

"The Bumps", a torment common in countries such as the U.K., Ireland, and the U.S., involves the friends and family of the person whose birthday it is taking him or her by the arms and legs, and "bumping" him/her up into the air and down onto the floor.The number of "bumps" given equals the age of the person in years plus one "for luck". Usually "the Bumps" are administered only to children, in part because as people grow up they become too heavy for the process.

I bet they love it.  Who has heard of doing the "bumps" for a birthday?

Ginny

« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2012, 02:27:37 PM »

I bet they love it.  Who has heard of doing the "bumps" for a birthday?

Sounds like something college students to to each other at football games to count off the number of points earned by the home team!

Jane

« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2012, 02:28:55 PM »

Except my neighbors' cat likes me better his owners.

Then keep the cat ;)

Jane

« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2012, 02:33:49 PM »

BERRIES!

I bought berries!  Wild Blueberries from Trader Joe's.  I love all the major berries, but the BLUES are something special.  I, uh, then picked up a quarter of French Vanilla.  To serve as a carrier, you understand.

I guess this wasn't my week to give up carbing.

Years ago we rented an RV and had the best vacation with our children & one of our three dogs.  While driving through Maine we picked wild blueberries that were incredible and had blueberry pancakes almost everyday until the blueberries were gone.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2012, 02:35:35 PM »

It really is a nice day today. Just rode my bike for an hour around the Lake. It was a bit tough on the way back. Now I am sitting outside and will read.

Sounds nice.  I'm doing laundry after a good workout at the gym.  I finally returned to the pool yesterday and had an entire lane all to myself for half an hour.  It was heaven.   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up