Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BERRIES  (Read 8294 times)

ChasSmith

Re: THE BERRIES
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2012, 02:36:16 PM »

BERRIES!

I bought berries!  Wild Blueberries from Trader Joe's.  I love all the major berries, but the BLUES are something special.  I, uh, then picked up a quarter of French Vanilla.  To serve as a carrier, you understand.

I guess this wasn't my week to give up carbing.

Years ago we rented an RV and had the best vacation with our children & one of our three dogs.  While driving through Maine we picked wild blueberries that were incredible and had blueberry pancakes almost everyday until the blueberries were gone.

I thought you were going to say until the cows came home.  

(Tough I'd be stunned if any blueberries remained in my house till even the first cow got back.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 02:41:19 PM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »

Vanilla ice cream is one of my favorite things in the whole wide world, and I have to say this is a good one.  Trader Joe's French Vanilla.  And with the blueberries, it's indescribable.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2012, 02:38:06 PM »

DR Jane I have definitely read THE OTHER DAUGHTER. But I would have to see the summary to see which book it is.

Quincy just made a brief appearance in the form of a phone call. :)
  I keep reading your posts when I am not at my computer tto check. So is his daughter the narrator?

No.  Can you open this?  http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7441145-the-other-daughter

Jane

« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2012, 02:39:39 PM »

Vanilla ice cream is one of my favorite things in the whole wide world, and I have to say this is a good one.  Trader Joe's French Vanilla.  And with the blueberries, it's indescribable.

When they finally open a Trader Joe's near us I'll try their French Vanilla ice cream.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »

People on the imdb are amongst the stupidest, most ridiculous idiots ever.  Most of them are teens who can't even string three words together coherently.

Friml vacuum necessity!   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

ChasSmith

« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2012, 02:42:39 PM »

I went through years of withdrawal when I moved to the east coast, till TJ's finally expanded in this direction.  It was hell.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2012, 02:47:10 PM »

This is what i found on wikipedia re: THE BUMPS

"The Bumps", a torment common in countries such as the U.K., Ireland, and the U.S., involves the friends and family of the person whose birthday it is taking him or her by the arms and legs, and "bumping" him/her up into the air and down onto the floor.The number of "bumps" given equals the age of the person in years plus one "for luck". Usually "the Bumps" are administered only to children, in part because as people grow up they become too heavy for the process.

The only thing is it's not a torment. They don't hit the ground. kids love it.

I bet they love it.  Who has heard of doing the "bumps" for a birthday?
I have, but I can't remember the context right now. I can hardly keep my head up. And I had a three-hour nap this afternoon.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2012, 02:47:52 PM »

Good. A Trader Joe's is opening here later this year.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2012, 03:00:08 PM »

My little J.B. looking all coy.

― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2012, 03:15:20 PM »

I went through years of withdrawal when I moved to the east coast, till TJ's finally expanded in this direction.  It was hell.

LOL.  When we first moved East it was Mexican food, fresh veggies, and California avocados we missed the most.

Jane

« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2012, 03:15:51 PM »

My little J.B. looking all coy.

Awww!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2012, 03:22:06 PM »

Watching a scary movie and then took a break to swim for thirty minutes.  I've been in this house for close to eight years now and in all that time I don't think I've used the pool a half dozen times.  I'm making up for that this summer - part of the reason I didn't is because with the old pump and heater it literally took five hours to heat the pool - with the new stuff it's heated in thirty minutes.

John G.

« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2012, 03:26:57 PM »

LOL.  When we first moved East it was Mexican food, fresh veggies, and California avocados we missed the most.
And when I moved to Tex-Mex land, it was all the Italian food from back East.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2012, 03:37:26 PM »

Oh, all of that.  I still miss the abundance of L.A. Mexican food.  Later, visiting Dallas a few times, I got to know some of the glories of Tex-Mex.  And Texas BBQ.  It's all such wonderful stuff.  It's a shame we can't just spend our lives putting food in our mouths.

Jane

« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2012, 03:44:37 PM »

Watching a scary movie and then took a break to swim for thirty minutes.  I've been in this house for close to eight years now and in all that time I don't think I've used the pool a half dozen times.  I'm making up for that this summer - part of the reason I didn't is because with the old pump and heater it literally took five hours to heat the pool - with the new stuff it's heated in thirty minutes.

Eight years!  Time does fly. 

Jane

« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2012, 03:45:33 PM »

Our first move was to New Jersey where tons of Italian's lived and everyone raved about the Italian food and the pizza.  We weren't impressed.

John G.

« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2012, 04:14:19 PM »

Oh, all of that.  I still miss the abundance of L.A. Mexican food.  Later, visiting Dallas a few times, I got to know some of the glories of Tex-Mex.  And Texas BBQ.  It's all such wonderful stuff.  It's a shame we can't just spend our lives putting food in our mouths.

I'm very sorry for you, but Dallas Tex-Mex doesn't begin to touch what we have here in San Antonio. And sorry, Druxy, but Austin's Tex-Mex doesn't, either. It's like a whole new world. But then again, step across the border, and it's a whole new culinary world there, too.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2012, 04:14:53 PM »

Well, off to more food-wine festival fun.
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2012, 04:15:11 PM »

DR Jane I have definitely read THE OTHER DAUGHTER. But I would have to see the summary to see which book it is.

Quincy just made a brief appearance in the form of a phone call. :)
  I keep reading your posts when I am not at my computer to check. So is his daughter the narrator?

No.  Can you open this?  http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7441145-the-other-daughter

Well I'm at my computer now so yes. :)

I couldn't remember if The Other Daughter was a standalone or part of the FBI profiler series. I see it is a standalone.

Jane

« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2012, 04:24:06 PM »

I should have mentioned it is a stand alone.

Jane

« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2012, 04:24:37 PM »

Well, off to more food-wine festival fun.

Have fun.

Jane

« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2012, 04:25:48 PM »

I'm very sorry for you, but Dallas Tex-Mex doesn't begin to touch what we have here in San Antonio. And sorry, Druxy, but Austin's Tex-Mex doesn't, either. It's like a whole new world. But then again, step across the border, and it's a whole new culinary world there, too.

I would like to experience it.  I've had very little Tex-Mex.  The first time was in Scottsdale & it was delicious.

ChasSmith

« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2012, 04:42:15 PM »

Point gladly taken.  Dallas happens to be the only place I've spent any real time in Texas, so I shall look forward to San Antonio.

Ben

« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2012, 05:13:18 PM »

Here are three reviews of

Hysteria

Hysteria 2

Hysteria 3

all of which state that, no, it is not a film version of In the Next Room, or the Vibrator Play, which was written by Sarah Ruhl and done by Lincoln Center at the Lyceum Theatre in New York as part of their 2009-2010 season (it had a world premiere at Berkeley Rep in California in February of 2009).

The play and the movie deal with the same subject but they are not in any way related. They just have the same subject matter.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2012, 05:17:18 PM »

Since both DR Jane and DR Vixmom had no clue what I was talking about I wonder if there is a different term in the US. It is not done so much now but we did it a lot when I was little. At least one person takes the birthday person's head and at least one person takes their legs. And you lift them horizontally in the air. Once for each year and then once for good luck.

never heard of this tradition before -

found it in Wikapedia (which, as  we all know, is the undisputed source of all knowledge)

Punches, spankings, "the Bumps" and other torments.

One widespread birthday custom takes many forms around the world, all rooted in the idea of delivering some form of physical torment to the person whose birthday it is, in order to drive away evil and to attract good luck. These torments range from beatings, through punches and earlobe-pulling, to "the Bumps".[1]

"The Bumps", a torment common in countries such as the U.K., Ireland, and the U.S.,[1][2] involves the friends and family of the person whose birthday it is taking him or her by the arms and legs, and "bumping" him/her up into the air and down onto the floor.[1][3] The number of "bumps" given equals the age of the person in years plus one "for luck".[1][3] Usually "the Bumps" are administered only to children, in part because as people grow up they become too heavy for the process.[1]

In Francophone Canada and the U.S. "birthday punches" are given in a similar fashion, where the person whose birthday it is punched a number of times equal to his/her age, plus one for luck.[1][2] In Brazil, Hungary, Argentina, Italy, and other countries, the person has his/her earlobes pulled.[1][2][4] The Hungarian tradition also involves at the same time as pulling the earlobes wishing the person a happy birthday or reciting a rhyme whose English translation is "God bless you, live so long so your ears reach your ankles.".[5]

Similar to birthday punches are birthday spankings. While they are usually administered to children, they are somewhat common. They, for the main part, don't hurt at all or if they do, it is a small sting. What happens is that the birthday recipient gets spanked on his or her buttocks how many years they have been around, plus one to grow on.

In India, a person on his birthday is held up in the air by his hands and legs by his friends (usually not in the presence of their family), and kicked or spanked on the buttocks. It is referred to as 'Birthday Bumps'. The number of bumps given equals the age of the person but usually ends up exceeding that number.

In Israel, part of the birthday celebration for a child in kindergarten is to lift the decorated chair that the child sits on into the air several times, once for each year of the child's age, plus "one for the next year".[1][6]

In Venezuela, a widespread custom is to attempt to push the person's face into the cake when they blow out the candles. This frequently destroys the cake.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2012, 05:18:38 PM »

Vixmom, typically the earnest money is held in escrow until closing.  But because the buyers put so little down (way less than 1%), our realtor added a clause that they had to release those funds as soon as the appraisal came in.  It kind of "hooks" them into the deal, or at the very least gives us a pittance for our time and trouble should the deal not close.

so your realtors handle all these things for you?  No lawyers?

vixmom

« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2012, 05:23:53 PM »

People on the imdb are amongst the stupidest, most ridiculous idiots ever.  Most of them are teens who can't even string three words together coherently.

Friml vacuum necessity!   ;D

i concur

vixmom

« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2012, 05:27:32 PM »

TOD

sipers   i can't like them

vixmom

« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2012, 05:28:47 PM »

seriously.....
 losing vixter or vixdad

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2012, 05:34:20 PM »

Here are three reviews of

Hysteria

Hysteria 2

Hysteria 3

all of which state that, no, it is not a film version of In the Next Room, or the Vibrator Play, which was written by Sarah Ruhl and done by Lincoln Center at the Lyceum Theatre in New York as part of their 2009-2010 season (it had a world premiere at Berkeley Rep in California in February of 2009).

The play and the movie deal with the same subject but they are not in any way related. They just have the same subject matter.

Thank you, DR Ben!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up