Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS MODERN WORLD  (Read 19875 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THIS MODERN WORLD
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2004, 10:38:42 AM »

As Mahler once purportedly said, "Rats!"

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2004, 10:40:20 AM »

... Rosie O'D ...

She does drugs?

der waiting-for-groans (not allowed) Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2004, 10:46:18 AM »

Great squirrels, DB! I must say, however, that looked at in a different light, squirrels are just rats with furry tails.

My point exactly!  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2004, 10:51:08 AM »

Must run and do some errands now, so keep the home fries burning, won't you?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2004, 10:54:47 AM »

Great squirrels, DB! I must say, however, that looked at in a different light, squirrels are just rats with furry tails.

Well, if truth were told, I'm also rather fond of rats. Actually I used to sleep with a rat,

::waiting for the TCB comments::

The rat (Sidney, by name) was rescued by my daughter when Fred, my son's Boa Constrictor, decided he wasn't hungary. Sidney would have been easy prey since, it turned out, he was totally blind. Sidney would go to bed in his cage, and then in the middle of the night, would creep into our bedroom, crawl up on the foot of the bed, get under the covers, and scamper the length of my body to go snuggle into the crook between my neck and shoulder. Younger son's Iguana, Iago, fortunately stayed in his aquarium, and the family pooch, a Great Dane/Shepard mix, Beauregard felt outnumbered.

der Brucer (who found much of "Children of Eden" quite familar)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2004, 10:58:06 AM »

Good morning all

der Brucer, I'm with you on that!  As some of you may remember, I used to have a dear little pet rat named Shy.  Shy unfortunately passed on this winter, in January to be exact.  But he (yes, he) was a lovely little creature who used to run around my apartment as I did my evening activities, occasionally coming up to say hello and curl up on my lap for awhile.  I am thinking about getting another pet sometime soon...maybe another rat would be cool..hmm...

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2004, 11:02:01 AM »

Did I miss any DR's reaction to the Master Chorale's "New Broadway" concert at the Disney Hall?

You did.  See June 16 at 8:24:58 a.m. for one Dear Reader's thoughts on the concert.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2004, 11:03:24 AM »

This talk of rats as pets is making my skin crawl.

:o

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2004, 11:05:07 AM »

Der Brucer, I love the pics of the squirrels!

I used to sleep with a rat as well. His name was Lonnie. He was 6ft 1 with blonde hair and he was sneaking my credit card numbers to charge pay-per-view football games, of all things! Oh, well!

Ok, off to Portland. Might stop off at Fry's in Wilsonville and pick up some DVDs. I hope they have HIGH SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL!

Jay

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2004, 11:11:39 AM »

Seems like a good day to read the L. A. Times...

Yewbetcha.  Not only are there interesting articles, one of the clues to today's crossword puzzle is "Brett Halliday detective Michael."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2004, 11:24:20 AM »

Domesticated rats....oh my.

I am watching CARNIVAL STORY on TCM....I like to think this is how Eve Harrington ended up....doing dumb movies like this...or working in a German carnival high diving into a horse tank.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2004, 11:36:02 AM »

You all know how I feel about the "usual suspects" being touted as the voices of the new Broadway.

1) Adam Guettel and Ricky Ian Gordon have never had any work done on Broadway.  While Michael John LaChiusa and Jason Robert Brown have done Broadway musicals, none of these ran for very long.

2) My subjective opinion: Their work isn't very good.  And people coming to a "voice of the new musical theatre" concert are left with the false impression that new musical theatre writing is
traditional, often treacly, ballads, with little musical or lyrical innovation
with complicated accompaniments and self-indulgent self-piteous caterwauling.

3) To consistantly tout the four three-named wunderkinds is to overlook the work of some far-better songwriters who have achieved, in fact, far more success.  Take my old pal Jeanine Tesori, the first female composer to have two shows running simultaneously on Broadway (and she has three Tony nominations - LaChiusa has way more) or the most obvious example, Flaherty & Ahrens, who've done many shows that have become popular in the last 15 years (Ragtime, Once On This Island, Seussical, etc.)

So, I was thrilled to read Mr. Taylor's assessment of the Disney Hall concert.  I feel the L. A. Master Chorale might be better off doing some of the finer choral works from recent Broadway musicals, such as Yeston's Titanic & Nine.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2004, 11:42:16 AM »

Great squirrels, der Brucer.  I have a similar tree right outside my study window, where the squirrels scramble and play all day, much to the fascination of my cat, Mosby the Grey Ghost.

Robin, yes, THE SPIRIT may well be the greatest comic book character around.  I collected the Warren reprints for years.  Still have them lovingly hoarded away...along with the rest of my comic book treasures.  I love Will Eisner's non-Spirit work as well.

I think Jane Fonda's best work is easily THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY?  I've met Miss Fonda a couple times personally and I liked her very much, but I really don't find her all that compelling an actress and I think she can often be god-awful.  Is there anything worse or more mannered than her performance in AGNES OF GOD?

Equity's problems with non-union encroachment echoes the problem all artistic unions are having, reflected in the stalled WGA talks, the SAG/DGA one-year stop-gap agreement, and in all the fractious union articles in Backstage West this week.

In this Bushie Big Business Era, I think there is a concerted effort to crush all unions.  If they get their way, pretty soon no actor/writer/director will be able to have a viable career in his profession.

DO NOT PATRONIZE NON-UNION TOURING SHOWS!  Wait till it comes to a community theatre near you.

The sad thing about  those three former Equity actors in the two-week tour of MISS SAIGON is that by leaving the Union for a short-term gain, they are going to have a real hard time having sustaining careers in their profession and have denied themselves any benefits they might have accrued under a Union contract.  Particular the Asian (and if any of the other are Asian as well), as there are few enough Asian roles around and career longevity is already problematic.

Of course, the real tragedy is do we really need another two-week run in LA of a show that was unmitigated, overblown, tedious crap the first time round?

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2004, 11:46:21 AM »

In my VCR: Shall We Dance?
In my CD player: absolutely nothing

Rats are so cute. My mom would never let me get one, but I had some mice. They were CUTE!!

I don't know from Jane Fonda.

I am yet again out of Cherry Coke.  :o
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2004, 11:57:03 AM »

I will also be baby-sitting a co-workers German shephard dog this weekend. I don't know how Freddy will feel about this, but hopefully they will get along.
They'll either get along, or you won't have much of a house left!   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2004, 12:01:16 PM »

Hmmm... I wonder if I'll get a chance to do my Gene Kelly impression again today?!?!?  ;D
NEWS FLASH!  DR Jose can DANCE!

(We have only begun to explore the man's talents!)

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2004, 12:02:25 PM »

My apologies for insulting rats. I had no idea there were so many rat lovers (MBarnum excluded) on this site!

Panni

« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2004, 12:05:29 PM »

I don't know from Jane Fonda.

And that should be remedied, DR Sandra. Get a carton of Cherry Coke and rent BAREFOOT IN THE PARK and THEY SHOT HORSES, DON'T THEY? (or KLUTE). That will be a fine beginning.

Robin

« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2004, 12:30:16 PM »

My apologies for insulting rats. I had no idea there were so many rat lovers on this site!

I used to have quite a few rats.  Of course, I didn't have 'em for very long, since I used them to feed my pet snake.  

But domesticated rats would make good pets, too.  

And what is a squirrel but a rat with a bushy tail, anyway?
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2004, 12:31:22 PM »

My favorite Jane Fonda movie: Barbarella.  

No contest there.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jed

« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2004, 12:53:02 PM »

I am thinking about getting another pet sometime soon...maybe another rat would be cool..hmm...

And this, Dear Readers, is why Ann and I have never been roommates. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2004, 01:07:27 PM »

The cows have left, so now I can post.  I agree with BK and DR Jay about Millie.  I really wanted to like it, but I was close enough to see that the lead was WAY too old to be convincing as Millie.  That ruined the magic.  Juliana was awesome as were the other members of the cast, but as a whole, I was ho-humm about the whole experience.

The only media happening is the mini-disk player (while waiting patiently for the new (to me anyway) iPod won on eBay, on the current disk is

Little Shop of Horrors (new Bway cast)
Taboo (London Cast)
Bombay Dreams
Wicked

Anyhow... nice to post again.  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2004, 01:09:41 PM »

DR derBrucer mentioned it as one he had missed, but my favorite Fonda performance (and there is a lot of her mature work that I think is fabulous) is THE CHINA SYNDROME.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2004, 01:17:31 PM »

After watching and enjoying the melancholy, poignant THE HANGING GARDEN, I popped in THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE.

The animation was beautifully done, very very sharp DVD brought out the brownish, orangy palette. The story whimsical and overly eccentric, I thought. Certainly different and a unique animated experience, but really not my cup of tea. Perhaps had I seen it with an audience I might have appreciated it more. Sitting alone watching the weirdly composed images and story whiz along made me a bit antsy for it to get on with it. Seemed about 10 minutes too long to me (the dog barking at passing trains got old after awhile).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2004, 01:44:30 PM »

Friday night rehearsal....  laterz
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2004, 02:09:42 PM »

Nice squirrels, DerBrucer. I sure wish you could get a picture of your birds!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2004, 02:13:34 PM »

In my CD player:  the original cast recording of Cindy-Ella, or I Gotta Shoe with Cleo Laine and Elisabeth Welch.  I just got it in the mail today from eBay all the way from England.  After that will probably be the soundtrack to "De-Lovely" and then Bounce.

In my VCR:  a blank tape to tape tonight's Comedy Central lineup of gay comics, including Mario Cantone and Elvira Kurt as well as "Out on the Edge," Alan Cumming hosts this gay comedy revue, featuring comics Jim David, Rene Hicks, Elvira Kurt, and music acts Betty, Bayne Gibby, the Hazzards and Johnny McGovern!  Sounds like fun!

In my DVD player:  something, but I just can't remember what. ::)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 02:14:15 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2004, 02:56:13 PM »

Media checked:
Most recently watched DVD - Six Feet Under - Series One. We last watched the very confronting SIDS episode.
CDs: the New Barbra Cook - wonderful.
         Endless Summer (the Best of Donna!)
          Novelty songs volume from the great years of American Rock and Roll. "I Want My Baby Back" is a song I had never heard before - Sick and very funny "answer" to "Leader Of The Pack". The disc also includes "Leader Of The Laundromat". My favourite oldie to replace an old scrathcy 45, is Linda Laurie's "Ambrose-  Part 5". I guess that information will really only mean something to JRand and Kerry!

Waiting in the wings ( Noel Coward Reference): Lots of Rosemary Clooney and some Steve Lawrence and Bobby Darin. (Thank you so much to a DR)

Favourite Fonda:  "They Shoot horses" and "Julia".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2004, 02:59:05 PM »

If my good mate TCB is missing for the next few days, don't be surprised - his home computer is the problem. Maybe DR Ann can drop around with a spare monitor.
Not a good day in the world of technology for TCB - his phone has problems too - an overdose of coffee!!!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2004, 03:23:39 PM »

I just saw the silliest commercial.

Has anyone else seen this commercial where Mickey & Jan Rooney, Mick's wife, are hawking life insurance.  Pay attention to the next time you see it when they're in the kitchen.  Jan is in the foreground speaking, Mickey is in the background at the sink, pretending to be doing something and he's DOING NOTHING!  He's miming taking dishes out of the sink and washing them, but there are no dishes!  He reaches here and there and makes little motions with his hands, but there's absolutely nothing in them.  

My guess is you weren't supposed to be able to see what he was doing there.  So it's got to be really sloppy camera work or directing or editing or all three.  He's trying real hard, but the camera sure ain't helping him.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up