Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BOWLING  (Read 10390 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BOWLING
« on: May 21, 2012, 12:42:11 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you were bowled over by the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the bowling cows come home - they've been throwing an awful lot of udder balls.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: BOWLING
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 12:43:23 AM »

And the word of the day is: BONIFACE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 12:44:40 AM »

And for those who might have missed my late-night posting - the new book has just gotten a lovelier than lovely review, so check it out and "share" it on your Facebook pages.

http://www.theatermania.com/new-york-city-theater/news/05-2012/book-review-bruce-kimmels-album-produced-by_56587.html

Ben

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 01:36:46 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 01:39:59 AM »

Ginny, just wanted to check in. Unfortunately, both Tuesday and Wednesday are no-gos for us. Things going on at work and other places. I think you're leaving for DC on Thursday so we will miss you this trip. Sorry.

I will, however, be at the Book Signing on Friday, June 15th, 2012 at the Drama Book Shop on 40th Street. Don't know how long afterward I will stay though because the next day, Saturday the 16th we are heading out very early for a weekend in New Jersey for a Wedding and won't be back until sometime Sunday.

Doug R

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 04:19:34 AM »

TOD:

I went bowling once and had my wallet stolen. Haven't been since  >:( 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 04:25:31 AM by Doug R »

Doug R

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 04:25:04 AM »

The 10 part Swedish/Danish co-production "The Bridge" ended last night. It's been an excellent series, well acted, directed and written although it was let down by the ending. A second series is planned.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 05:11:06 AM »

Good morning, all! I was out way too late and up far too early. UnlessJoshie needs help at Encores! today, I'm staying close to home and not doing much else.

BK, I don't keep up with Theatermania much since it dropped Peter Filichia, so I hadn't seen Andy's review. Thanks for posting it.  I knew he he had read the book because he had mentioned it in one of his emails about meeting up.  I enjoyed meeting him, and I hope we'll become friends. We went to the French Roast, where my beloved goddaughter Charlotte was waiting tables. As we parted, he mentioned something about your visit in June, and I thought, that would be nice if it happened.

I have no more news this morning. A trip to Staples, and, later, a trip to the post office, as well as the EILEEN libretto will take up my day, along with, at some point, when I start thinking clearly, a phone call to our DR Ginny.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 05:37:29 AM »

Great review!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 05:37:59 AM »

I had six good auditioners yesterday.....so hopefully I will have at least the same number tonight!!

Doug R

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 05:39:13 AM »

I saw a Superhero film on TV, "Captain America: The First Avenger" which I actually liked and which wasn't just mindless action and CGI.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 05:39:39 AM »

TOD:

If the group I am hanging out with goes bowling, I go.....usually end up with a score of about 160-181.   In fact 181 was my highest score ever.

My favorite bowling story is when the show I was stage managing challenged another show running at the same time to a match.....it was  The Heidi Chronicles VS. The Bad Seed.   We managed to win!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 05:41:14 AM »

I used to have a photo of said event.....I shall try to find it when I return from the Monday banking and shopping.

ChasSmith

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 06:04:05 AM »

Good morning, all.  Excuse me whilst I go downstairs for another coffee.

ChasSmith

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 06:12:47 AM »

There.  There now.

Practically no bowling history whatever.  No one in my family bowled, even during the REAL bowling years.  I went with someone or other as a kid, and performed miserably at it.  Back in the '90s there was a resurgence of it -- don't know if that was widespread, or just among a group of friends in the city, but we went one night to the alley on University Place in NYC, with no intention on my part of trying to play, but it was fun to be there and watch.  I'm one who gets into this kind of thing on a nostalgia basis.  I appreciate the bowling alley as the archetypal 1950s blue collar social destination place -- complete with bar and what not! :)

Kerry

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 06:34:21 AM »

I think the last three times I went bowling it was for various fundraisers.  Lots of fun!
I like boat races.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 06:44:03 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 06:45:01 AM »

TOD: When I lived in a tiny town in Florida, there was little to do but go to the movies or go bowling, so a bunch of us went bowling for about a year. I never got good at it, but I did enjoy the beers.  ;D
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 06:46:28 AM »

BK, I don't keep up with Theatermania much since it dropped Peter Filichia, so I hadn't seen Andy's review. Thanks for posting it. 

I stopped reading it, too, for the same reason. I only check it out if BroadwayStars.com posts an interesting link.
― Voltaire

John G.

― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 06:55:06 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  It's pouring rain in Midtown, so we're easing into the day.  Richard's been next door to "Smoky Mary's" for morning prayer and we've been downstairs for breakfast.  We may put on our rain gear and walk over to the box office to try for the ONCE Wednesday matinee.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 06:58:40 AM »

― Voltaire

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 07:06:14 AM »

Betsy was the first girl I ever dated who knew how to score bowling.  I married her anyway.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 07:22:58 AM »

TOD:

I used to love bowling, but I haven't done it in years.

Not good for my back.
You can dream…or you can do.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 07:27:08 AM »

We took the Chinese kids bowling while they were here.  They had an interesting technique:  they would hold the ball with both of their hands in front of them, run up to the lane, stop abruptly and then just drop the ball.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 07:29:15 AM »

Nice write-up about the show we're seeing tonight:

Herringbone
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 07:34:57 AM »

Ginny, just wanted to check in. Unfortunately, both Tuesday and Wednesday are no-gos for us. Things going on at work and other places. I think you're leaving for DC on Thursday so we will miss you this trip. Sorry.

DR Ben, it finally hit us as we were waiting for our plane yesterday just how short this stay is.  We're going to be in your neighborhood this afternoon, at the Rubin Museum to see the illuminated manuscripts.  We may head to Chat 'n' Chew for an early dinner before heading further downtown for HERRINGBONE.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 07:39:09 AM »

Elmore, don't know if you saw that the TV "Dearest Enemy" is out on DVD:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/166156-THE-DVD-SHELF-Being-John-Malkovich-Julie-Andrews-as-Victor-Victoria-and-the-Vintage-Dearest-Enemy/pg2

I knew it was. I thought I'd avoid it till we finished the recording. I saw the broadcast in 1955 when it was first broadcast and loved it. I have theCD and like Irwin Kostal's arrangements, but I wish the songs were assigned to the correct characters and that the plot followed the original book a little more closely.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 07:42:31 AM »

I sent the recording cast this info about DEAREST ENEMY:
THE FACTS
In Manhattan, there is a plaque at the corner of Park Avenue and 37th Street, erected by the Mary Murray Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and commemorating Mary Lindley Murray, wife of Robert Murray, for her contribution to the American Revolution by delaying General William Howe and his overwhelming military force from intercepting General Isaiah Putnam's retreat on Bloomingdale Road to join General George Washington in the Bronx:
This tablet marks the geographic center of the farm known in revolutionary days as “Inclenberg,” owned by Robert Murray whose wife, Mary Lindley Murray (1726-1782), rendered signal service in the Revolutionary War.

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND
On 4 July 1776, the American Continental Congress adopted the Declaration of Independence and declared the American Colonies independent of English domination. The first battles of the American Revolution were the Battles of Lexington and Concord on 19 April 1775, but the tension between the Colonies and British rule had been escalating for some time; the notorious Boston Tea Party had occurred in 1773.

After the Battle of Bunker Hill on 20 April 1775, General Isaiah Putnam (1718-1790) progressed to temporary commander of the American forces in New York, while waiting for the arrival of commander-in-chief George Washington (1732-1799).  By March 1776, Washington had forced the British out of Boston, and joined Putnam in Manhattan. By mid-September, Washington and his army had moved north to the Harlem Heights, leaving Putman and his army situated on the Battery at the very bottom of the island.

On 15 September 1776, the British fleet landed 4,000 soldiers at Kip's Bay on the East River to establish order in Manhattan, separate the Colonies, and to break the Continental Army.  It was imperative that General Putnam's forces march to Harlem before the British took control of the island.

And that's where the story of Dearest Enemy begins. The history is correct, but the events in this musical are completely fictional.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:40:15 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 07:46:42 AM »

It is indeed pouring in Manhattan, and I took my umbrella with me to reach Staples without getting too damp on the 2-block walk.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up