Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MAN WITH THE PORCELAIN CROWN  (Read 10116 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE MAN WITH THE PORCELAIN CROWN
« Reply #150 on: May 22, 2012, 06:59:24 PM »

I just finished watching THE WOMAN IN BLACK.

it's a well made film, but I think the story would have worked better as a half hour or even one hour TWILIGHT ZONE.

There's just not enough story there for a 90 minute movie.
Glad I didn't see it at the theater.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #151 on: May 22, 2012, 07:00:02 PM »

Page six!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #152 on: May 22, 2012, 07:54:46 PM »

I saw the stage version over a decade ago.  It was a lovely production (up here in CT) and actually scary.

Wanted to like the current film much more than I did, though I did mostly enjoy watching it.  I thought the pandering to today's movie production tastes, and the gross overkill (not just overkill -- GROSS overkill) in the use of jump scares, shot it in the knees.  I then ordered the British TV movie version and greatly enjoyed that.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #153 on: May 22, 2012, 08:06:46 PM »

Does anyone here own a Keurig coffee maker?

Yes

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #154 on: May 22, 2012, 08:12:56 PM »

Long week - getting 2 school shows on their feet.  Oliver and Grease.  Both have their issues at the moment.  Little of which is music :)

ChasSmith

« Reply #155 on: May 22, 2012, 08:13:51 PM »

Greatly enjoyed MR BK's running commentary with the lovely Gordon ladies (at least they sounded lovely from where I sat) on "Beginning of the End", which in turn inspired me to take "Attack of the Puppet People" down off the shelf, and to order "Picture Mommy Dead".  In checking the Gordons' other credits on the IMDb, I was sad to learn that, as of December, Susan Gordon is no longer with us.

ChasSmith

« Reply #156 on: May 22, 2012, 08:16:14 PM »

Does anyone here own a Keurig coffee maker?

Yes

No, but when my present coffee maker is done for, I already know one of theirs will be taking its place.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #157 on: May 22, 2012, 08:19:47 PM »

I have left DR Ginny and Richard at the Yarn co., on Broadway around thecorner from my apartment. We had a lovely and liesurely lunch.DR FJL showed up around 2:45, which gave us time to catch up on the mutual friends and peccadilloes in my hometown. It was nice to see DR FJL and we had a great time. A photo was taken, DR JRand61.

And, here it is:

what a fantastic picture!  You both look wonderful
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

John G.

« Reply #158 on: May 22, 2012, 08:22:05 PM »

Just finishing watching "Drive." I had liked this movie at lot until the last 20 minutes. Then, meh. Big meh.
― Voltaire

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2012, 08:46:03 PM »

DR Jane went to school with Susan, Chas, and several others of us got to know her quite well when she was a regular here at HHW.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

ChasSmith

« Reply #160 on: May 22, 2012, 08:52:33 PM »

DR Jane went to school with Susan, Chas, and several others of us got to know her quite well when she was a regular here at HHW.

Oh sorry, I had no idea! 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:54:22 PM by ChasSmith »

John G.

« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2012, 08:55:05 PM »

Night, all.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #162 on: May 22, 2012, 08:56:09 PM »

Oh sorry, I had no idea! 
No need to be sorry. I wasn't an HHWer when Susan was around, either. I wish I had known her. The memories the others shared were warm and wonderful. She sounds like she was a very special person.
― Voltaire

JMK

« Reply #163 on: May 22, 2012, 08:58:29 PM »

She was a total sweetie.  I'm sure everyone who knew her for a lifetime or a moment would agree.  :)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #164 on: May 22, 2012, 08:59:17 PM »

Susan in fact is one of the major reasons we now experience HHW on this "new" Board, but that's a story for another day.  :)

Ginny

« Reply #165 on: May 22, 2012, 09:18:48 PM »

More from HARVEY:  Before the start of Act II, Scott Ellis came out again and said that the planned set rotation between scenes would not happen and, "We'll pretend it's the 1940's and lower the curtain briefly to change the set manually."  The rest of the show proceeded, but it seemed that everyone was a little tentative and "off."  Audience response was subdued.

I did like the incidental music, which had a "Six Feet Under" feel to it (but a little more chipper).  Jim Parsons did fine and I was surprised to see the guy who plays Harry Crane in MAD MEN as the sanitarium attendant Wilson.

I'm surprised not to find a thread about this on "All That Chat."  Or a Twitter hashtag.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

« Reply #166 on: May 22, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »

Did it ever occur to them that Harvey might have been sitting on the set when they were trying to rotate it?  ;)

Ginny

« Reply #167 on: May 22, 2012, 09:29:45 PM »

Could be, DR JMK, you never know.  They said it had something to do with a broken cable, but Richard thought the crunching sounded like splitting wood.  It's really a shame, because the set was gorgeous.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #168 on: May 22, 2012, 09:30:01 PM »

'night!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #169 on: May 22, 2012, 10:31:28 PM »

I saw the stage version over a decade ago.  It was a lovely production (up here in CT) and actually scary.

Wanted to like the current film much more than I did, though I did mostly enjoy watching it.  I thought the pandering to today's movie production tastes, and the gross overkill (not just overkill -- GROSS overkill) in the use of jump scares, shot it in the knees.  I then ordered the British TV movie version and greatly enjoyed that.

I saw a local production several years ago and, although it was very good, I kept thinking that it was very different than the ALW musical version, then I realized...that was The Woman in White. ::)

Spoo.

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2012, 10:37:06 PM »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #171 on: May 22, 2012, 10:37:46 PM »

Had a long sing-through work session, then Juliana and her boyfriend and I went out to eat - I'd only eaten a salad and a bagel earlier, so I felt it was okay to have some eggs.

George

« Reply #172 on: May 22, 2012, 11:25:36 PM »

Just watched "Beginning of the End" for what might very well have been my first time ever.  What a hoot!  I especially love movies like this which they didn't hesitate to place in a real, specifically named non-L.A. or California locale, this one being Chicago and the Joliet area.  (I need to think of other examples.)

The Twilight books/movies were set in the small town of Forks, Washington (although the movies were filmed in Oregon).

"I Love You To Death" was filmed and set in Tacoma, Washington.

"The Ring" was filmed and set in Seattle, Washington.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2012, 12:43:52 AM »

And speaking of "Twilight," I looked at the IMDb listing and saw this paragraph in the Goofs section:

Stephenie Meyer had her own personal cast before all the roles were officially casted. They including Emily Browning as Bella Swan, Henry Cavill as Edward Cullen, Charlie Hunnam as Carlisle Cullen, Mary-Louise Parker as Esme Cullen, Rachael Leigh Cook as Alice Cullen, Trent Ford as Jasper Hale, Tom Welling as Emmett Cullen and Olivia Wilde as Rosalie Hale.

What's wrong with this picture?  Casted.  CASTED??  I submitted a spelling change.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up