Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BOWLING  (Read 10236 times)

Ginny

Re: BOWLING
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 07:46:46 AM »

DR Elmore, DEAREST ENEMY sounds like something I'd like.  I agree with DR John G about your billing on the poster - hope you can get a framable copy to display in your home!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 07:50:24 AM »

DR Elmore - just tried to call you at home and left a message.  We're about to head out, but I have my phone and am looking forward to talking to you today!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 07:52:29 AM »

Ginny, just wanted to check in. Unfortunately, both Tuesday and Wednesday are no-gos for us. Things going on at work and other places. I think you're leaving for DC on Thursday so we will miss you this trip. Sorry.

DR Ben, it finally hit us as we were waiting for our plane yesterday just how short this stay is.  We're going to be in your neighborhood this afternoon, at the Rubin Museum to see the illuminated manuscripts.  We may head to Chat 'n' Chew for an early dinner before heading further downtown for HERRINGBONE.

Have fun at the Rubin. You will indeed be just around the corner from us. The Rubin is a beautiful space. It used to be part of the old Barney's before they moved to the East Side. Chat and Chew has redecorated. Still the same fun food but less kitsch in the decor.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 07:56:35 AM »

Elmore, don't know if you saw that the TV "Dearest Enemy" is out on DVD:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/166156-THE-DVD-SHELF-Being-John-Malkovich-Julie-Andrews-as-Victor-Victoria-and-the-Vintage-Dearest-Enemy/pg2

I knew it was. I thought I'd avoid it till we finished the recording. I saw the broadcast in 1955 when it was first broadcast and loved it. I have theCD and like Irwin Kostal's arrangements, but I wish the songs were assigned to the correct characters and that the plot followed the original book a little more closely.
I have that CD, too, and love the songs that are there. Can hardly wait for your recording to fill in the gaps, of which there are many, I'm sure.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 08:10:58 AM »

I, on the other hand, am up - barely.  Had I not set the alarm I probably would have slept till eleven.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 08:13:33 AM »

TOD:  My folks used to bowl in a co-ed league and each had their own bowling balls, I believe.  We used to go as a family and I have enjoyed bowling on and off over the years...with long periods of not doing it at all.  In the mid-late nineties, I actually got rather good at it and, for a while, a group of cronies and I used to bowl every few months at some lanes in Burbank.  It's one of the few sports I actually enjoy participating in.  I think one of the reasons I like bowling is that you can pursue it as an individual sport and work toward your own personal best rather than it always being competitive and having to "beat" the other guy.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:15:20 AM by Charles Pogue »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2012, 08:18:33 AM »

Most interesting DEAREST ENEMY information at HHW today.  Where else on all of the inner web can you find such info?  No where.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 08:19:27 AM »

Frances Farmer was a member in good standing of the Ladies' Bowling League at St Joan of Arc Catholic Church.  I have a suspicion that the beer was the best part of the game for Frances as well.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 08:27:29 AM »

Said bowling photo is MIA.  Oh well.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 08:32:50 AM »

DR Elmore, DEAREST ENEMY sounds like something I'd like.  I agree with DR John G about your billing on the poster - hope you can get a framable copy to display in your home!

I love DEAREST ENEMY! Of all the 1920s and 1930s musicals that took Gilbert & Sullivan for their role model. I think it's the closest American equivalent. It was Rodgers & Hart's first Broadway show and they were trying to dazzle and produce something literate and charming.  One of the critics caled it "a baby grand opera," which I believe is quite aprops.

As to my billing for JUBILEE; it's in the contract. The Porter Trust was very good to me on this show.

DR Ginny and I just spoke. They got their tickets for Wednesday's matinee of ONCE, and we're meeting for lunch at 2pm tomorrow.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 08:34:34 AM »

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/166156-THE-DVD-SHELF-Being-John-Malkovich-Julie-Andrews-as-Victor-Victoria-and-the-Vintage-Dearest-Enemy/pg2

I knew it was. I thought I'd avoid it till we finished the recording. I saw the broadcast in 1955 when it was first broadcast and loved it. I have theCD and like Irwin Kostal's arrangements, but I wish the songs were assigned to the correct characters and that the plot followed the original book a little more closely.
I have that CD, too, and love the songs that are there. Can hardly wait for your recording to fill in the gaps, of which there are many, I'm sure.

There's a secondary couple, Jane Murray and Captain Harry Tryon, son of British General Tryon, entirely removed from the tv version! They sing "I Beg Your Pardon " and "Sweet peter."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 08:35:15 AM »

Most interesting DEAREST ENEMY information at HHW today.  Where else on all of the inner web can you find such info?  No where.

C'est vrai!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 08:37:47 AM »

In college, I was so lousy at team sports and swimming that the only phys ed requirement I did well in was bowling. I thnk I was in that phys ed class for three years of undergraduate school, and I loved it. I usually bowled one game with a very high score, got my team's spirits going, and then bowled the second game dreadfully, to everyone's chagrin.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:41:37 AM by elmore3003 »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2012, 08:41:49 AM »

I think I saw a semi-staged version of Dearest Enemy sometime in the 90's.  Just a piano a actors/singers.  I don't remember a thing.  I think I have a CD of some version of the show.  I know absolutely nothing these days.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2012, 08:43:39 AM »

I am debatng making the trip to the Post Office to mail this vocal score to Dublin or to wait until tomorrow morning. Whenever I make the trek, I will stop at the pharmacy to pick up two prescriptions. So do I want to walk in therain or stay inside? Hmmm . . .

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2012, 08:46:05 AM »

I think I saw a semi-staged version of Dearest Enemy sometime in the 90's.  Just a piano a actors/singers.  I don't remember a thing.  I think I have a CD of some version of the show.  I know absolutely nothing these days.

I believe 42nd Street Moon in SanFrancisco has performed the Century Library version the Shuberts assembled around 1930. It's missing several songs. I'm hoping our reconstruction will be performed a lot. It's a nice alternative to the wonderful 1776, with a lot of ladies.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 09:04:03 AM »

Ah-hah!  Found it!

March 1992 - The Heidi Chronicles goes bowling......but I forget the name of the show we competed against - and Theatre On The Square doesn't have an extensive production history on its website.

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2012, 09:04:17 AM »

We just swam to the Jacobs and back and have ONCE tickets for the Wednesday matinee.  Came back to the hotel to wring ourselves out before venturing out in the rain again.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2012, 09:05:15 AM »

I am in the back row next to the guy in the black shirt.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2012, 09:05:45 AM »

LOL.....rain is good luck DR GINNY.

John G.

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2012, 09:07:11 AM »

There's a secondary couple, Jane Murray and Captain Harry Tryon, son of British General Tryon, entirely removed from the tv version! They sing "I Beg Your Pardon " and "Sweet peter."

"Sweet Peter"? My, but that Lorenz Hart was the master of the single entendre.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2012, 09:09:19 AM »

Great photo, JRand.

Somehow, bowling always makes me think of "The Big Lebowski." Dude.
― Voltaire

Matthew

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2012, 09:09:20 AM »

I believe 42nd Street Moon in SanFrancisco has performed the Century Library version the Shuberts assembled around 1930. It's missing several songs. I'm hoping our reconstruction will be performed a lot. It's a nice alternative to the wonderful 1776, with a lot of ladies.

Yeah, that was it.  It was when they were using a different space and hadn't gotten as "big" as they are now so I was sorta confused at what group staged it.  I have the studio cast recording (just checked). 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2012, 09:34:55 AM »

The composer of Wallander series one is digging out the masters and will send to me asap.  Very exciting.

John G.

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2012, 09:49:13 AM »

The composer of Wallander series one is digging out the masters and will send to me asap.  Very exciting.
That is cool.
― Voltaire

Matthew

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2012, 09:50:37 AM »

Yeah, that was it.  It was when they were using a different space and hadn't gotten as "big" as they are now so I was sorta confused at what group staged it.  I have the studio cast recording (just checked). 

As I listen to this cast recording, I'm appalled at the use of electronic instruments for such a period piece.  Piano/Bass/Drums would have sufficed.  I'm looking forward to the new recording, which I'm assuming will NOT include electronic instruments.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2012, 09:56:29 AM »

"Sweet Peter"? My, but that Lorenz Hart was the master of the single entendre.

It's on the tv soundtrack recording with Anne Jeffreys and Cyril Ritchard! The song is about Governer  Pieter Stuyvesant, who sang  "September Song" in Knickerbocker Holiday.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:06:51 AM by elmore3003 »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2012, 10:05:11 AM »

LOL.....rain is good luck DR GINNY.

I must be the luckiest man alive then.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2012, 10:05:40 AM »

September Spong is the name of my new something or other.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

ChasSmith

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2012, 10:08:38 AM »

Hold on, here it comes.....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up