Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LONG WEEKEND  (Read 8389 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: THE LONG WEEKEND
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2012, 01:13:45 PM »

Page 3
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 01:15:18 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2012, 02:00:50 PM »

We are back at our hotel for a little R & R after a delightful afternoon at the National Museum of the American Indian.  Here's the luncheon platter that Richard and I shared:

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2012, 02:03:42 PM »

The items in the center were hot.  Top to bottom:  salmon, sweet potato hash, buffalo.  The cold items on either side were (L) beet & apple salad and (R) wild rice salad.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2012, 02:05:18 PM »

And here's the lovely view from our lunch table:

Ginny

« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »

And while we were sitting there, a wedding took place outside our window:

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2012, 02:47:41 PM »

It is either feast or famine with my eBook library.  Just because I want to read a paperback on the flight to Chicago I currently have 1,076 pages of library books to read and I'm expecting another book to be available before we leave.  I hope I'm wrong.  This doesn't include "Issac's Storm" by Eric Larsen I got bored with after 38 pages.  I figured I would return to it after I finished another book first.  As the books accumulate I suspect it will be due before I can finish it. 

I would think that ebooks would be perfect for the plane. Why carry real books?

Can you put your place on hold for ebooks (like you can for regular books)?  Also is there such a long wait? Couldn't you just put yourself at the end of the line?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2012, 03:01:26 PM »

Hello, everyone.

Back from a fun lunch with BK. Am now doing laundry. (What else?)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2012, 03:03:02 PM »

Media check:

DVD:  SINGLE-HANDED

CD:    THE GOOD OLD BAD OLD DAYS

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2012, 03:04:33 PM »

Thank you, MBarnum, for the birthday wishes last night. I am completely at a loss, though, to know how you found the picture of me from high school.  ;)  Very cute.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2012, 03:07:36 PM »

With my Basil Rathbone book once again in print, I'm getting back into a Sherlock Holmes mode.

Wednesday night, we watched Rathbone's THE PEARL OF DEATH.

I'm booked to speak at the Baker Street Pub here in Austin on June 19th, and to the local Sherlock Holmes Society in November.

Last night, I watched an Improv group do a Sherlock Holmes sketch at Austin's H.I.D.E.O.U.T. Theater, which was very funny.

How fun.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2012, 03:10:38 PM »

DR Jeanne I've read "In The Woods"  and then "The Likeness" by Tana French.  I guess I didn't feel the need to read anymore of her books though I wouldn't say no to them.  Which one did you buy? 

"In the Woods."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2012, 03:11:59 PM »

It has turned into an incredibly lovely day here.  I just took a long walk around the neighborhood.  Not too hot, not too cold, just right.  :)

Cold & dreary here with more snow on the mountains.  At least the rain stopped by the time I was done swimming.

Jane

« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2012, 03:12:38 PM »

DR Jeanne I've read "In The Woods"  and then "The Likeness" by Tana French.  I guess I didn't feel the need to read anymore of her books though I wouldn't say no to them.  Which one did you buy? 

"In the Woods."

Good place to start.  Let me know if you like it.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2012, 03:12:43 PM »

DR MBarnum I really like the birthday card you gave DR Jeanne. :)

So do I.

Jane

« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2012, 03:14:43 PM »

DR Ginny I like your view during lunch. :)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »

It has turned into an incredibly lovely day here.  I just took a long walk around the neighborhood.  Not too hot, not too cold, just right.  :)

Are you traveling?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2012, 03:19:14 PM »

Jeanne and I did indeed have a lovelier than lovely lunch, then I came back and went to the mail place and picked up one package and an important envelope, did some banking, and am now home for the rest of the day and evening.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2012, 03:19:46 PM »

I've never been to the American Indian Museum in DC, but I did go to one in British Columbia, which I enjoyed very much. That was Inuit and such, not American Indian. Very interesting art.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2012, 03:20:17 PM »

Must attend to the laundry.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2012, 03:35:13 PM »

It is either feast or famine with my eBook library.  Just because I want to read a paperback on the flight to Chicago I currently have 1,076 pages of library books to read and I'm expecting another book to be available before we leave.  I hope I'm wrong.  This doesn't include "Issac's Storm" by Eric Larsen I got bored with after 38 pages.  I figured I would return to it after I finished another book first.  As the books accumulate I suspect it will be due before I can finish it. 

I would think that ebooks would be perfect for the plane. Why carry real books?

Can you put your place on hold for ebooks (like you can for regular books)?  Also is there such a long wait? Couldn't you just put yourself at the end of the line?

I have a few paperbacks to be read and figure it is easier to read them on a plane than at home at night with a flashlight.  Plus there are my preferred reading when I fly to distract me from the motion.  I'll take one anyway in case I use up my Nook battery or it crashes.

I can't put on hold on my eBook holds like I can with the regular library books.  For our last trip I did put myself to the back of the line on a few books, thing is the next book up is Lisa Gardner's "The Survivors Club" which I do consider a good flying book.  If it comes in before I leave I'll check it out.  It has a short wait list so I can easily start over, or have Craig download it to my computer if it is available while I'm gone.

Some books takes months to become available & I find it very frustrating not to have the ability to put a temporary wait on them if I'm traveling. 

KevinH

« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2012, 03:41:21 PM »

Isn't it typical?  I live in the DC area and have never been to the Museum of the American Indian.  I'll have to make it a point to visit!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2012, 04:17:25 PM »

From DR George:
As for the actual performance, Rus (the guy whose mic crapped out) actually can project quite well, so that all worked out.  The theater is fairly small and it really wasn't a problem for him.

This is a relief to hear. 

Yup...it's interesting.  I know they want to use mics to gently support the performers, but I've performed in many shows in that theater and never used a microphone.  Not that I personally could project the most, but it's seems that it's only recently that theater groups feel the need to use mics in such a small place.  Rus and his wife Kim (who's in the show, too) can both project quite well.  I'm sure that if the director and/or theater group had made the decision, the show could've been done without mics at all...and no one would've had any trouble.  They would've had the month and a half or so of rehearsal time to practice projecting. 

It seems like it's either a totally new or a completely abandoned concept. :-\

Sadly, that has become the norm, rather than the exception, in theaters of all types.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2012, 04:20:32 PM »

The items in the center were hot.  Top to bottom:  salmon, sweet potato hash, buffalo.  The cold items on either side were (L) beet & apple salad and (R) wild rice salad.

The water looks good.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2012, 04:26:18 PM »

Isn't it typical?  I live in the DC area and have never been to the Museum of the American Indian.  I'll have to make it a point to visit!

Kevin, if you change your mind about seeing Ms. Streisand in Brooklyn, I will be happy to buy your ticket from you.
“One thing’s universal,

KevinH

« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2012, 04:35:28 PM »

I'm not sure if you're joking, TCB, but last I heard there are still tickets available!

KevinH

« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2012, 04:36:54 PM »

I guess I should think about packing for my weekend trip to Buffalo.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2012, 04:50:19 PM »

Time for me to head to the theater.  I'm getting there early to work with the stage manager and the microphone guy to see if we (really, they) can fix whatever happened to the mic last night. 

Be back later!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Laura

« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2012, 05:16:14 PM »

Here's where I spent part of my day:
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2012, 05:18:07 PM »

I had three monarch butterflies that eclosed over the past couple of days. The Monarch Scientist and I decided to give them a head start on their migration north. So we took them with us when we went up to monitor the milkweed up north. They all took off, but one stopped to nectar for a little while.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2012, 05:23:28 PM »

Just had an unexpected snooze.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up