Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: WHEN IS A MASTERPIECE NOT A MASTERPIECE  (Read 11566 times)

ChasSmith

Re: WHEN IS A MASTERPIECE NOT A MASTERPIECE
« Reply #150 on: May 26, 2012, 08:41:27 PM »

I just watched THE BARBARIAN AND THE GEISHA on Blu-ray.  Had never seen it, and I had to smile at the Duke a few times, but I really liked it.

ChasSmith

« Reply #151 on: May 26, 2012, 08:42:05 PM »

Oh my.  Page 6.

Laura

« Reply #152 on: May 26, 2012, 08:55:21 PM »

Oh, my! What a GLORIOUS day in Arizona! It was sunny and cool (for May) and I spent the whole day outside and I am quite sunburned. The cold front that passed through was very much appreciated by everyone in Phoenix.

My last two monarch caterpillars that I collected have transformed into butterflies, and the Monarch Scientist will pick them up tomorrow and take them up north with her. That will give them a couple of days' headstart on their northward migration.

I missed one caterpillar, though. I found a beautiful butterfly gliding around the backyard this afternoon.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #153 on: May 26, 2012, 08:56:48 PM »

Actually, there were LOTS of butterflies around the yard today: Gulf Fritillaries, Queens, Marine Blues, Snouts, a Monarch. It was a lovely day.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Cillaliz

« Reply #154 on: May 26, 2012, 09:01:08 PM »

Sounds lovely DR Laura

Cillaliz

« Reply #155 on: May 26, 2012, 09:01:46 PM »

You can take that as it sounds lovely and lovely DR Laura.... :)

Cillaliz

« Reply #156 on: May 26, 2012, 09:03:05 PM »

Was just thinking of Let's eat, Grandma and Let's eat Grandma. Punctuation means evertying

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #157 on: May 26, 2012, 09:32:32 PM »

Dinner was chicken noodle soup and a Nathan's hot dog.

Okay, make that two Nathan's hot dogs.

Would that be three with Sarah Jessica Parker?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #158 on: May 26, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »

Just back from the symphony. A 28-year-old named Mikhail Simonyan led the Katchaturian Concerto for Violin and Orchestra and was outstanding. Beautiful to listen to.

Then they played a very moving Copland Symphony No. 3, which was just right for Memorial Day weekend. Fun evening.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #159 on: May 26, 2012, 10:21:32 PM »

Night, all.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: May 26, 2012, 10:24:07 PM »

Finished with my viewing.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #161 on: May 26, 2012, 11:55:18 PM »

Today was a two-show day for "Good Night Moon."  The matinee audience, even with all the kids, was pretty sedate...not a bad audience, just not very engaged.  However, Harrison (who played Rod in TAO's production of BK's The Brain from Planet X and who was in The Full Monty that I just saw) was in the audience with his wife.  He LOVED it!  He was laughing and totally enjoying it.  He really helped to get the audience to be more responsive.  His wife, however, looked like she was a little bit bored. 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #162 on: May 26, 2012, 11:58:24 PM »

In between shows, we had dinner brought in...stuff for taco salad and burritos!  It was brought in by the producer (one of the founders of Olympia Family Theater) and very delish!  After our late afternoon performance (it started at 4:30 pm), our second show went well and the audience was a little more engaged.  All in all, a very good two show day.  Tomorrow, we only have one show.  Next weekend, we have two two-show days.  I hope they feed us both days. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #163 on: May 27, 2012, 12:02:03 AM »

There's a lot to love about MUSIC MAN.  Knowing ahead of time that the costumes were an issue, I was able to kind of ignore them and enjoy the acting, the singing, the dancing, and (especially) the band.  Kate and Burke Moses are wonderful, as are the rest of the cast.  It was such fun to realize that it was DR Jose playing the piano lesson and the cross-hand piece.

I'd never seen a musical in the round and, seldom, in such an intimate space.  It changes the experience and the acting becomes very important.  Our backstage visit helped us appreciate the staging even more than we had from out front.

We had a great evening! 

I've been in a few shows that were in the round..."Romeo and Juliet" a couple of years ago and about 16 years ago, I played Hero in ...Forum in the round.  That was a lot of fun.  They had panels on all four walls so that the audience was completely inside the set.  And actually, "Good Night Moon" is in the same theater where I performed both ...Forum AND The Brain from Planet X.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 12:04:11 AM by George »

George

« Reply #164 on: May 27, 2012, 12:06:33 AM »

TOD - subtitles.  We even use them when we're watching movies in English...

Same here.  They can be a great help.  And sometimes, if you don't want to gloss over every little thing being said, as in "The Wire", they're essential.

My ex-boyfriend is from Pakistan and I had actually made VHS copies of DVDs with the subtitles turned on so that he could more easily understand what was being said.  It was quite helpful for him.

My TV is supposed to have closed captioning, but they never work.  I don't know why. :P

George

« Reply #165 on: May 27, 2012, 12:10:28 AM »

Vixmom, can you explain the auto accident comments?

a person who MUST remain nameless hit the gas pedal instead of the brake to the detriment of a vehicle owned by the passenger and not the driver - no other vehicles were involved and all parties are safe ---- whichof course is the important thing

as I keep reminding myself

Okay.  Thannk you.

and since I  share genes with these people........

~~~Vibes of All Kinds for Vixmom (and family)!!~~~

George

« Reply #166 on: May 27, 2012, 12:11:58 AM »

Here's and article that I came across today that I think Laura will appreciate:  Global warming winner: Once rare butterfly thrives.

George

« Reply #167 on: May 27, 2012, 12:26:43 AM »

TOD:  Subtitles, absolutely.  But I have no objection to enjoying dubbed versions of campy old horror films, westerns, etc.

Ditto and ditto. :)

When "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" was first released on DVD, I got it from the library and watched part of the subtitled version (of course).  Anyway, just to check it out, I watched some of the dubbed version and thought that it was very well done.  The dubbed dialogue was different than the English subtitles but they matched the lip movements so closely that I thought that it had actually been filmed twice, once in Chinese and again in English. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up