Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: REHEARSAL ONE  (Read 11419 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
REHEARSAL ONE
« on: May 29, 2012, 12:51:13 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were rehearsed and flubbed no lines, and now it is time for you to post until the rehearsed cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: REHEARSAL ONE
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 12:51:46 AM »

And the word of the day is: ASPERSE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:54:40 AM »

The fellow who's projecting Nudie Musical at the midnight screening at the Nuart Theater decided to do up his own trailer for the film and the event.  Those who've seen the Nudie trailers know that they all avoided actually showing anything from the film, at least not any of the good bits, because they simply couldn't.  Today it would be a different story, and so his trailer has many of the film's highlights.  Check it out:

http://youtu.be/E3ADOXuQNcc

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 01:22:18 AM »

Goodness gracious, the things you find on You Tube.  Somebody had written me a few days ago to tell me at some point a Rocky Horror Show convention would love to have me come as a guest because apparently RHPS fans are also huge fans of Nudie.  I'd never heard that before, but I guess this is the proof - this was the pre-show entertainment dress rehearsal for the big Las Vegas Rocky Horror convention - amazing, and with most of the original choreography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIggdT1pB9c

Ben

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 03:33:50 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 04:54:15 AM »

Good morning, all! Last night's final dream had me discovering the original. crumbling manuscript for the Overture to "Finian's Rainbow" on the shelf of a public library and fighting with the librarian because it was in the circulating collection. God knows what provoked that dream.

This morning, I will head back to Toyland and print the last two bass parts and consider the current round of printing and taping finished. I also need to order more paper this morning. After that, I will head to the Lincoln Center NYPL to play with historic newspapers online. That's the gist of my day.

The review from Theatermania also included a short one for the Herbert Songs, and I believe we're gettng one soon in Playbill.com.

BK, I liked the trailer for FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL, but I found the Rocky Horror Show convention weird, and not in a good way.  I don't understand these folk.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 04:56:09 AM »

Good morning, all
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 04:56:22 AM »

Great clip, BK.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 04:57:47 AM »

TOD: I once went two years without having my hair cut. The length was about eight inches long and it went down over my shoulders. I don't know if I have any photos of that, but I was able to donate it to Locks of Love when I finally had it cut.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 05:00:16 AM »

The review from Theatermania also included a short one for the Herbert Songs, and I believe we're gettng one soon in Playbill.com.

Thanks. I didn't even see page two of that set of reviews. It was late, I guess.
― Voltaire

Ben

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 05:00:59 AM »

Dear Larry,

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but the Playbill Steven Suskin review is less than stellar

Victor Herbert

John G.

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 05:11:01 AM »

A story on the filming of "Les Miz." They're recording the vocal tracks live. I don't anybody's done that since "At Long Last Love."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/story/2012-05-28/les-miserables-first-look/55253344/1?loc=interstitialskip

By the way, there are two scenes from musicals in "Bernie," one with Jack Black singing "I've Never Been in Love Before" and another with him doing "76 Trombones." Very funny.
― Voltaire

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 05:23:56 AM »

And the word of the day is: ASPERSE!

And The Somg Of The Day Is:  I HATE MEN

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 06:02:49 AM »

Dear Larry,

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but the Playbill Steven Suskin review is less than stellar

Victor Herbert

DR Ben, thanks for posting this. Steven Suskin is clearly neither an operetta fan nor a musician, as his errors in his orchestration book attest to, and it's nice to know that he appreciates "Lysistrata Jones" (I did, too, but I never want to listen to a recording of it) over German lieder. We also learn he's not one to bother looking at the contents of a recording booklet before playing a CD, and he can't discuss the progress of music on Broadway between 1894 and 1924.

He certainly lets you know he hates the CD once he mentions the dread "German songs." So, he likes "Broadway," but he can't say much good there either. chacun à son gout!

I'm not expecting everyone to like the set, and I expect that for everyone who enjoys it, another will not. That's life.

I am still a fan of Mr Suskin's work, even when I disagree wth him.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:05:54 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 06:35:07 AM »

And off to Toyland!

ChasSmith

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 06:37:35 AM »

Good morning, all.

FJL

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 06:40:15 AM »

BELATED BIRTHDAY WISHES TO DEAR DR ARNOLD BROCKMAN!!!!!!!!

FJL

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 06:40:38 AM »

I must now go back and catch up!

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 06:41:16 AM »

Oh, that's who Suskin is!  I've always been fascinated with orchestration and I bought his book, but so far have only flipped through it.  Oy!  Sorry to hear it's going to be so prone to error.

ChasSmith

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 06:44:41 AM »

I was kind of disappointed in what seemed like a limited scope to the musicals he wrote about, but I did look forward to getting satisfaction from learning whatever he had to teach about those.

Ben

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 06:50:57 AM »

We are off to Minnesota in two days. We leave on Thursday morning and return on Monday afternoon. My nephew is graduating from high school and also turning 18 so there is a big party planned.

Kerry

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 07:04:55 AM »

Good Morning on this Tuesday but for all practical purposes Monday morning.
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 07:07:46 AM »

Oh, that's who Suskin is!  I've always been fascinated with orchestration and I bought his book, but so far have only flipped through it.  Oy!  Sorry to hear it's going to be so prone to error.

The book has many good things about it; it's not a bad overview and there's a lot of good information. I look at it quite often. When it first came out, I couldn't put it down. I am referenced in it for my thoughts on who orchestrated what for WHERE'S CHARLEY? and he certainly spoke to a number of very informed sources. I think he's needlessly hard on some orchestrators and often relies on opinions of others to praise or pan another man's work. Jack Mason comes off poorly because he's knocked for being the "stock arranger" guy, but writing a "stock arrangement," which can be played by any size group, can be a challenge since you have to cover for possible missing instruments. Those charts, when played by the full band, can be really wonderful, as you can hear on this recording of Kurt Weill's music.

He falls down in trying to analyze music and to talk about instrumental things, like playing techniques of which he knows little. He doesn't care about early 20th century American musical theatre, so he doesn't discuss Otto Langey, Harold Sanford, Emil Gerstenberger, or Frank Saddler much because he's probably heard little by them that he knows.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:27:25 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 07:14:48 AM »

We are off to Minnesota in two days. We leave on Thursday morning and return on Monday afternoon. My nephew is graduating from high school and also turning 18 so there is a big party planned.

I assume we'll see you tomorrow to wish you better travel vibes than DR Ginny's!

John G.

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 07:17:42 AM »

Welcome, 41 guests.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 07:17:58 AM »

Or 0 guests.
― Voltaire

Ben

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 07:18:11 AM »

Yes, I'll be around tomorrow. We leave for the airport on Thursday morning at 6:15am!

John G.

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 07:18:47 AM »

thankfully, the earthquake in Italy is hours north of where I'll be.
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 07:26:07 AM »

The fellow who's projecting Nudie Musical at the midnight screening at the Nuart Theater decided to do up his own trailer for the film and the event.  Those who've seen the Nudie trailers know that they all avoided actually showing anything from the film, at least not any of the good bits, because they simply couldn't.  Today it would be a different story, and so his trailer has many of the film's highlights.  Check it out:

http://youtu.be/E3ADOXuQNcc

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 07:27:49 AM »

TOD:

I had a crewcut when I was a kid.

These days, I get my hair cut about every 2-3 months; whenever it starts to hit the bottom of my neck.
You can dream…or you can do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up