Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WHATEVER WILL BE, WILL BE  (Read 8639 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: WHATEVER WILL BE, WILL BE
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2012, 06:48:24 PM »

Shortly I shall be on my way to the Raven Theater where I shall hopefully be ravin'. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2012, 06:48:31 PM »

Page five???

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2012, 06:48:54 PM »

Then, directly from there I head over to the Nuart Theater.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2012, 07:17:22 PM »

'night

ChasSmith

« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2012, 07:21:08 PM »

CD:  The Kurt Weill dance arrangements album is lovely!

FJL

« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2012, 07:23:01 PM »

Shortly I shall be on my way to the Raven Theater where I shall hopefully be ravin'. 

They say everybody loves raven

Cillaliz

« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2012, 07:39:02 PM »

They say everybody loves raven

Nevermore

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2012, 08:07:35 PM »

Health Vibes for Michael Shayne
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2012, 08:08:12 PM »

Jane, how are your hearing aids working out?

vixmom

« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2012, 08:09:23 PM »

I am completely exhausted

vixmom

« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2012, 08:10:02 PM »

Vibes for  BK

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2012, 09:46:28 PM »

Congrats, Matthew.

Vibes for JMK's site.

Vibes for Mike, TCB and anyone else in need.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2012, 09:46:53 PM »

Packing up and getting ready to leave. Sigh.

But it's been a great week here.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Cillaliz

« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2012, 09:56:35 PM »

Are you headed home or for another adventure?

Cillaliz

« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2012, 09:59:14 PM »

I am headed upstairs to get some sleep.  I'm really looking forward to seeing Sam tomorrow.  I wasn't going to tell my mom because I knew she'd pull the "you mean you aren't going to come and see me" stuff.  But I decided she'd probably be more upset if I didn't tell her I was going up there and she found out, so I told her and she said "You mean you aren't coming to see me?" LOL.   She really doesn't care because they are busy tomorrow, btu I KNEW that's what she'd say

Cillaliz

« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2012, 10:01:06 PM »

So, now I don't have to worry that I'll run into mom and dad at a stop sign.  I really wouldn't mind seeing them, but they monopolize all my time when I'm there.  I don't complain about it, but there are other people I want to see to.  Hopefully tomorrow will just be the beginning of visiting others when I'm up at the lake

Cillaliz

« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2012, 10:05:46 PM »

Looking forward to BK's report of the evening's festivities, but can't wait up.  Will read in the morning...night

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2012, 10:39:45 PM »

George, did you get my PM?

I did, Tom!  It really is a small world! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2012, 10:40:18 PM »

BK--you mentioned talking with Brent B---any chance he'll be doing Outside the Box?  I know he's in Peter Pan in La Mirada right now.

And then on tour.  Correct?

Yes, I think he'll be doing the show well into 2013.

I have to laugh.  Last time I saw Cathy Rigby in Seattle, after the show she told me this was her final tour of the show.  She said it was just getting too tough to do, night after night.  This was , I believe, in 2004.  Now she is closing in on 60, and she decides to tour the show again.

When the tour of Jesus Christ Superstar with Ted Neeley(!) came to Olympia, some of the other actors said that it was supposed to be his last "final" tour. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2012, 11:12:23 PM »

Tonight, I worked concessions for a show called, "The Jacket."  It's by a group called Nanda, who are from Port Townsend, Washington.  Click HERE for an article in the Seattle Times:

Nanda isn't an act. It's a whole four-man vaudeville show.

Its members juggle, dance, sing, fight, do magic, do acrobatics, do mime, fight some more, make films, steal a suitcase, drive a tank, stop time (while fighting), jump rope, make amusing spelling mistakes, acknowledge they're creating a dramaturgical mess and — did I mention? — fight.

That's "fight" as in "martial arts," which is one reason they describe their act as "acrobaticalist ninja theatre....

The show is just over an hour and it's total non-stop very funny ninja-style fighting and it's hysterical!  They even have their own YouTube channel. :D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 11:18:42 PM by George »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2012, 11:12:47 PM »

Wow, 3,000.   That's sad since I've been around these parts on and off since the site began (almost)

bk - do you still need Carmelina?  I have the LP and I can transfer it to digital for you if you'd like.

George

« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2012, 11:25:19 PM »

When I got home, two CDs from Japan were waiting for me in my mailbox.  One is The Manhattan Transfer's Bodies and Souls.  It has a bonus track!  However, the song, "A Wonderful Dream" really doesn't fit with the rest of the album.  It's like they had this track and didn't know what to do with it, so they stuck it on whatever CD was being re-released next.  It's a good song, just not one that should've been on this album. :-\

George

« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2012, 11:37:36 PM »

The other CD that I got was The Other Side Of Soudheim+4...yup, that's the actual spelling on the website. ::) It's actually a re-release of her The Other Side of Sondheim, but put back the way she originally envisioned the CD to be.  Here's what someone wrote on Amazon about the differences between the original 1988 version and this reissue:

Jane Harvey Sings Sondheim, just released on the SSJ Label, is NOT a re-reissue of her "The Other Side of Sondheim" that Atlantic Records released a while back. This new CD is the complete 59 minute unexpurgated version, with trio accompaniment including, Mike Renzi, on piano, Grady Tate on drums, and Jay Leonhart on bass . . .all jazz virtuosos in their own right. It was a labor of love for them all, so when Atlantic cut whole songs, and aborted medleys to reduce the package to 43 minutes, it was devastating to all. The decision by Atlantic to have string arrangements overdubbed was another disappointment, because it spoiled the integrity of Harvey's concept of a true jazz vision of composer Stephen Sondheim. However, shortly before Atlantic's Ahmet Ertegun* died, he returned all rights to Jane's Sondheim album to her, and now: the medleys are in tact, the strings have been removed, thus emphasizing the Jazz side of Sondheim. Therefore, this SSJ issue of "Jane Harvey Sings Sondheim" is rightfully considered to be a NEW release. This re-tooled edition, including the singer's 2009 recording of "Send in the Clowns," is now available!

*A side note (not from the Amazon review)...Ahmet Ertegun was the one who discovered The Manhattan Transfer and produced a lot of their early recordings. ;D

George

« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2012, 11:38:39 PM »

And what's really cool is that both of them are in the mini-LP packaging.  I love those!

George

« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2012, 11:41:56 PM »

What's not as cool is that I just discovered on Amazon that the Jane Harvey reissue has also been released in the US...for less than half the price. :P The Jazz Side Of Sondheim is what it's called.  Oh, well.  I certainly can't return it all the way back to Japan for a refund...and I really like the mini-LP packaging.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 11:49:35 PM by George »

George

« Reply #145 on: June 09, 2012, 12:10:36 AM »

I'm listening to the Jane Harvey CD and I really like it.  It's been a long time since I listened to the original. 

George

« Reply #146 on: June 09, 2012, 12:11:10 AM »

BK's midnight showing of "The First Nudie Musical" has just started! 

George

« Reply #147 on: June 09, 2012, 12:11:41 AM »

Hope the audience LOVES it!!

George

« Reply #148 on: June 09, 2012, 12:20:05 AM »

I need to go to bed now.  My niece is on the board of the local PFLAG and they're going to be at Olympia's Capitol City Pride, both Saturday and Sunday.  My niece talked me into helping set up their tent in the morning...8:00 in the morning.  That's just too darned early.

;)

George

« Reply #149 on: June 09, 2012, 12:20:15 AM »

Well, since we're so close...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up