Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NEW YORK TRIP  (Read 13694 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: THE NEW YORK TRIP
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2012, 09:56:17 AM »

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2012, 09:56:44 AM »

Yup.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Doug R

« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2012, 09:56:49 AM »

New York travel vibes bk!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2012, 09:57:12 AM »

Loved Mr H talking about the Tony Awards.

??
“One thing’s universal,

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2012, 10:03:14 AM »

For better or worse, I haven't had any interest in LOVE NEVER DIES.

That's two of us. I've never understood making the monstrous horror of the murderous Phantom into a tragic hero, either. Sure wasn't Gaston Leroux's intention. And, just like sequels to GONE WITH THE WIND, A DOLL'S HOUSE, frankly, my dear, who gives a damn?

But oh what fun it is for us to tear it apart.  Sometimes bad theatre is just as good as good theatre :)

Ben

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2012, 10:03:26 AM »

And now, farewell. I must wash the bowl and the coffee cup.

Anthony is playing designer today. An older gentleman who lives in our building has enlisted his help to purchase and install new window shades. They are doing it in the late morning. I shall come home for lunch to an empty apartment.

Later, friends.

Do you go home for lunch every day?

Almost. I live half a block from my office. Ginny knows, she's been at my office and at our apartment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2012, 10:06:03 AM »

That's two of us. I've never understood making the monstrous horror of the murderous Phantom into a tragic hero, either. Sure wasn't Gaston Leroux's intention. And, just like sequels to GONE WITH THE WIND, A DOLL'S HOUSE, frankly, my dear, who gives a damn?

"Hello, I'm Dimitri Weissman.  And since there have been a number of lawsuits temporarily delaying this theater from being torn down, welcome to our second annual reunion..."
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2012, 10:09:29 AM »

Well we had excitement in the Box Office and Lobby at PCPH last night.

Our local Senior organization RSVP provides two ushers for each performance....they get complimentary tickets to the evening's performance - they take the tickets, tear them in half, keep one half, return the other....and also hand out programs.  Last night we had a NEW lady, Nellie.  It was her first time ushering, so I took her through the process.  HOWEVER, her friend, Dorothy, who is an experienced usher decided NOT to show up...so Nellie was on her own.

We had TWO busloads of out of towners.  One bus from the Masonic Home in Franklin, Indiana, had about 30 - and some of the people had been here before.  The other bus was from Peoria, Illinois, and had about 57 people on it - making their first visit.

WELL - the Peoria group had paid for but not picked up their tickets.....they started pouring into our small lobby....and creating quite a bottleneck.  I left the box office and asked who was in charge of handing out the tickets.....and a couple of the ladies just said:  "We don't have our tickets yet."

Well - I figured there might have been a method to the madness, so I went out to the bus.  There were a couple of people helping people out of the bus, so I approached them and asked: "Who is in charge of handing out the tickets."  And a lady replied again: "We don't have our tickets yet...."   So I said...."No, that's not what I asked.  Who would hand out the tickets."  Another lady stepped up and said;  "Me....I would."  So I handed her the tickets, thinking if they had their tickets before any more of them got into the lobby, it would be helpful.

I started to walk away when a tall man stopped me.  He had on a badge that said Convention...something...and the name Leroy.  "What is your name?" he asked.  "I said 'Jack'", and put out my hand which he took.  "No....your whole name...."  And then he grabbed my name tag to read it.  "I don't like the tone you took with her.....you are very rude.  I know people and I will make sure they KNOW ABOUT YOU."  I took my hand back like I was snake bit and walked away.  It's a good thing for Leroy that  I had the restraining spirit on me.

ANYWAY....I went back to the lobby where the lady was having difficulty handing out tickets, so I asked her if she wanted me to help and she said YES.....  So I took several of them and asked the Peoria group to raise their hands if they needed tickets, and got them ALL passed out - and the people into the theatre in about six minutes....   OF course new usher Nellie was beside herself trying to keep up.....but she was a trouper.

I never saw Leroy again......but I had gone to the Box Office and got the ticket for the WORST seat in the house for him....if he came in the get one.....

Found out from President Michael....that he was with the organization that had asked for COMP tickets.....and a few other things...

ANYWAY....it has been my experience that people who "know people" never say they "know people".....I "know people" but I never say it....

END OF STORY....so far.  I can't wait to read the letter someone sends or forwards to us.

Oh except that the bus driver and the lady in charge both said to me: " We've been with these people all day....NEVER AGAIN...."
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 10:11:20 AM by Jrand61 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2012, 10:12:24 AM »

Just thought HHW Dear Readers would enjoy a novella today.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »

Leroy is probably thinking, "The next time I call that place for free tickets, I'm going to give them a piece of my mind!"
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2012, 10:26:42 AM »

This is from the Ft. Wayne Civic Theater's season brochure.  LOMBARD is part of their 2012-13 season.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 10:31:24 AM by Druxy »
You can dream…or you can do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2012, 10:27:59 AM »

Safe travels, BK! Wave when you fly over Arizona! (A DR Ginny reference)

And wave when you fly over Washington (A Laura-Ginny reference).
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2012, 10:31:20 AM »

Safe travels, BK! Wave when you fly over Arizona! (A DR Ginny reference)

Sandra wasn't eating a crawdad, was she? Or is she a Pescetarian (they don't eat meat or poultry but do eat fish, eggs, veggie cheese & milk-based products).

I don't think I have ever heard that term before.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2012, 10:34:37 AM »

Not to mention a remake of GONE WITH THE WIND.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2012, 10:37:46 AM »

"Hello, I'm Dimitri Weissman.  And since there have been a number of lawsuits temporarily delaying this theater from being torn down, welcome to our second annual reunion..."

;D
“One thing’s universal,

FJL

« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2012, 10:38:04 AM »

Is that anything like a nutella, because I'd love a nutella right about now!

Seriously, that's quite a story!

ChasSmith

« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2012, 10:39:11 AM »

Is that anything like a nutella, because I'd love a nutella right about now!

Seriously, that's quite a story!

Seriously.

MORE!!  MORE!!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2012, 10:41:28 AM »

Our local Senior organization RSVP provides two ushers for each performance....they get complimentary tickets to the evening's performance - they take the tickets, tear them in half, keep one half, return the other....and also hand out programs.  Last night we had a NEW lady, Nellie.  It was her first time ushering, so I took her through the process.  HOWEVER, her friend, Dorothy, who is an experienced usher decided NOT to show up...so Nellie was on her own.

We had TWO busloads of out of towners.  One bus from the Masonic Home in Franklin, Indiana, had about 30 - and some of the people had been here before.  The other bus was from Peoria, Illinois, and had about 57 people on it - making their first visit.

WELL - the Peoria group had paid for but not picked up their tickets.....they started pouring into our small lobby....and creating quite a bottleneck.  I left the box office and asked who was in charge of handing out the tickets.....and a couple of the ladies just said:  "We don't have our tickets yet."

Well - I figured there might have been a method to the madness, so I went out to the bus.  There were a couple of people helping people out of the bus, so I approached them and asked: "Who is in charge of handing out the tickets."  And a lady replied again: "We don't have our tickets yet...."   So I said...."No, that's not what I asked.  Who would hand out the tickets."  Another lady stepped up and said;  "Me....I would."  So I handed her the tickets, thinking if they had their tickets before any more of them got into the lobby, it would be helpful.

I started to walk away when a tall man stopped me.  He had on a badge that said Convention...something...and the name Leroy.  "What is your name?" he asked.  "I said 'Jack'", and put out my hand which he took.  "No....your whole name...."  And then he grabbed my name tag to read it.  "I don't like the tone you took with her.....you are very rude.  I know people and I will make sure they KNOW ABOUT YOU."  I took my hand back like I was snake bit and walked away.  It's a good thing for Leroy that  I had the restraining spirit on me.

ANYWAY....I went back to the lobby where the lady was having difficulty handing out tickets, so I asked her if she wanted me to help and she said YES.....  So I took several of them and asked the Peoria group to raise their hands if they needed tickets, and got them ALL passed out - and the people into the theatre in about six minutes....   OF course new usher Nellie was beside herself trying to keep up.....but she was a trouper.

I never saw Leroy again......but I had gone to the Box Office and got the ticket for the WORST seat in the house for him....if he came in the get one.....

Found out from President Michael....that he was with the organization that had asked for COMP tickets.....and a few other things...

ANYWAY....it has been my experience that people who "know people" never say they "know people".....I "know people" but I never say it....

END OF STORY....so far.  I can't wait to read the letter someone sends or forwards to us.

Oh except that the bus driver and the lady in charge both said to me: " We've been with these people all day....NEVER AGAIN...."

Ahhh, working with the public!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2012, 10:42:29 AM »

This is from the Ft. Wayne Civic Theater's season brochure.  LOMBARD is part of their 2012-13 season.

Very cool!  Will you be atending?
“One thing’s universal,

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2012, 10:47:48 AM »

My Mom gave me an hysterical little book of newspaper misprints one year for Christmas.  I believe the title was Squad Helps Dog Bite Man.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2012, 10:48:57 AM »

My favorite entry in the book was a picture of woman, a national president of the PTA IIRC, standing next to a street light, whose support she had her hand on.  The caption said, "Mrs. So and So, one of only two women to hold a similar post in the country."

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

FJL

« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2012, 10:51:08 AM »

Songs from FOLLIES II

I'm REALLY still here

Guess i couldn't leave you

Yet another morning

Lord, lord, lord, that woman's still me

You're gonna love the day after tomorrow

Broadway old lady

Matthew

« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2012, 10:52:26 AM »

Ahhh, working with the public!

Will there be a sequel or a continuation?

Matthew

« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2012, 10:53:17 AM »

THIS is worth the 13 minutes of your time it takes to watch.  And watch the whole thing, you should.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2012, 10:53:58 AM »

Very cool!  Will you be atending?

Yes, they are flying me in to do a panel discussion.
You can dream…or you can do.

Matthew

« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2012, 10:55:10 AM »

Anyone know the reason behind no Tony nominations for Best Actor and Best Actress in a musical in 1985?  Even now they scrape the bottom to fill the category!!!

ChasSmith

« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2012, 11:08:58 AM »

Will there be a sequel or a continuation?

Or a new career as a Tour Guide?  Or Social Director?

JMK

« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2012, 11:09:39 AM »

Actually the book was called Squad Helps Dog Bite Victim.  Highly recommended by the likes of me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2012, 11:12:58 AM »

Congrats DR DRUXY......hopefully it will be during good weather!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2012, 11:13:15 AM »

There may be a sequel to the story.....time alone will tell.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up