Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL DAY  (Read 10468 times)

ChasSmith

Re: WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL DAY
« Reply #180 on: June 16, 2012, 07:32:44 PM »

SE7EN

Ginny

« Reply #181 on: June 16, 2012, 07:36:52 PM »

Would love to hear BK's review of THE BEST MAN, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow when I get back from Lima.

'night!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #182 on: June 16, 2012, 08:19:16 PM »

TOD: I lived in Middletown, Ohio, for about a year in the mid-1980s during which time I interviewed a native son, one Larry Moore, for the newspaper. We kept in touch off and on over the next 20 or so years, and it was through him that I came to HHW. I peeked in occasionally before joining through him, and I, too, am grateful for the family I've made here.

Our DR JohnG is the sort of gentleman I aspire to become and know I'll never reach. What he doesn't tell you is that once he'd interviewed me, I killed the article.

Several well-intentioned friends in Middletown who knew about my participation in the Pulitzer Prize win for SUNDAY iN THE PARK WITH GEORGE decided, without asking my opinion, to take my story to the local newspaper. One day I got a call from this young reporter asking for an interview about the subject. I was very unhappy to learn about this turn of events since I felt, while I was proud of the achievement, that it was Steve Sondheim's business, and not mine, to discuss my involvement, if he chose to do so.

After my interview with this pleasant young man, I called the editor of the newspaper and begged him to kill the story. My friends in Middletwn were very unhappy with my decision and I think I did the right thing; it was my tale to tell when I chose, not when I was forced.

Then, in 1989 or 1990, I was working on a show by Barry Kleinbort in Cohoes, NY, at the very haunted and spooky Cohoes Music Hall, a jewel box of a theatre and one helluva a scary place. As I left the theatre one night, a pleasant young man introduced himself to me. It was Mr JohnG who was working for a local newspaper.

Thanks for expanding the story.  I don't remember hearing this before.
I just now recall that there was a missing chapter in there, but I'll settle for the gloss. The Barry Kleinbort piece was "Angelina," which I still have on a cassette somewhere.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #183 on: June 16, 2012, 08:23:11 PM »

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #184 on: June 16, 2012, 08:27:34 PM »

Ruins, Vatican, etc.

I don't know why, but these words made me think:  "You've ruined the Vatican for me"  (there's a Walter Matthau reference in there somewhere) 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: June 16, 2012, 10:07:39 PM »

Back from the play and a lovelier than lovely late supper with Crista Moore - she'll be attending the show at the Metropolitan Room.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #186 on: June 16, 2012, 10:49:14 PM »

Thoughts would be appreciated on this.  We're in the early planning stages for taking the boys to Europe next summer.  Here's what I'm proposing

Flying from Portland to Philadelphia
1=2 days in Philly to see the Liberty Bell, Constitution Hall, etc.
Train to NYC
2-3 days in NYC, see a show and the sights maybe meet with HHW-ers
Plane to London
4 days in London
Tower, Millennium Plaza, Museum, Buckingham Palace, West End
Train to Paris
2-3 days in Paris
Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Champs, etc.
Train to Venice
2-3 days in Venice
St. Marks, etc.
Train to Rome
3-4 days in Rome
Ruins, Vatican, etc.
Fly home

I think you need to add:

Meet Doug  in London

Meet Francoise in Paris

oh yes.... and collect Vixmom in NY and take her with you
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #187 on: June 16, 2012, 10:56:09 PM »

I am sorry I had to miss the reading and Joe Allen yesterrday and the Singer  tomorrow night     meeting with Bruce all of you DFs (not a  typo --- I mean Dear Friends!!)  is one of my favorite things

vixmom

« Reply #188 on: June 16, 2012, 10:58:33 PM »

today the Vixter and I were committed to ALtar Guild ( setting the altars in our sancutary and chapel  for communion for Saturday's  eveing service and Sunday morning service), then we had out assisting ministers meeting and we were also committed to working the  annual yard sale 

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up