Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: HOMEWARD BOUND  (Read 15633 times)

Kerry

Re: HOMEWARD BOUND
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 06:55:52 AM »

It certainly is a Monday.  Better-than-Monday-vibes for all.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 06:56:12 AM »

Page TWO good Monday Vibes Dance.
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, 06:57:25 AM »

I'm up, have been to Fed Ex, am packed and shall now relax until the car whisks me away to the airport, after which I shall be on my way home.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, 07:08:45 AM »

I'm up, have been to Fed Ex, am packed and shall now relax until the car whisks me away to the airport, after which I shall be on my way home.

Safe journey, BK! Thanks for a wonderful weekend.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2012, 07:09:55 AM »

Safe travels, BK!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2012, 07:20:19 AM »

And the word of the day is: ADULATE!

Katz?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2012, 07:21:35 AM »

They call it "computer keyboarding" so boys would sign up to take the class. "Typing" is for girls.

I remember hot debates in Junior High in our typing class as to whether boys should be called typers or typists.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2012, 07:29:43 AM »

Well, my work hasn't been in vain. The Library of Congress may do a Victor Herbert concert in the fall and that would help promote the Herbert Collection. I am very excited about this.
Vibes that it happens.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2012, 07:30:01 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  We had a nice visit from Rob and Mary Linda last night and a spur-of-the-moment dinner of Chinese take-out.  They went home with all the leftovers, so should have some nice lunches to take to work for a couple of days.  Speaking of work, Paramedic Rob starts a new job today.  He's doing the same kind of work, but with a competitor who offered better equipment, better schedule, better benefits, and, above all, more money.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2012, 07:30:27 AM »

Travel vibes for BK - wave when you fly over Ohio!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2012, 07:31:30 AM »

They call it "computer keyboarding" so boys would sign up to take the class. "Typing" is for girls.

I remember hot debates in Junior High in our typing class as to whether boys should be called typers or typists.
that's like laughing at the boy who wanted to be a masseuse when he grew up.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2012, 07:37:05 AM »

In the early 1980s our local campus had an office administration program that included a typing course that you could take for 1, 2, or 3 credit hours.  It was almost all women who took that course.  However, when it was obvious that the personal computer was here to stay, enrollment spiked in the typing course and it was all young men who took it for 1-credit, just to learn the keyboard.

Not long before I retired, I was helping a middle-aged unemployed man in the library.  He was trying to use a job search/resume creation website and it was obvious he didn't know how to type.  I wanted to say, "Here's your first problem..."

ChasSmith

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2012, 07:38:26 AM »

In the early 1980s our local campus had an office administration program that included a typing course that you could take for 1, 2, or 3 credit hours.  It was almost all women who took that course.  However, when it was obvious that the personal computer was here to stay, enrollment spiked in the typing course and it was all young men who took it for 1-credit, just to learn the keyboard.

Not long before I retired, I was helping a middle-aged unemployed man in the library.  He was trying to use a job search/resume creation website and it was obvious he didn't know how to type.  I wanted to say, "Here's your first problem..."

Oh my, that IS bad.  Because nowadays, "everybody" temps, at least!   :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2012, 07:39:11 AM »

I shall shortly be on my way to the airport, and then shall be on my way home.

ChasSmith

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2012, 07:53:26 AM »

Great VIBES and XYLOPHONES for a safe flight back!

ChasSmith

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2012, 07:53:34 AM »

Interesting that DR Elmore was thwarted in his Dunkin' Donuts plans, because as it turned out, I decided to make a pit stop at the "Mobil on the Hutch" (the only, and hence VERY popular gas/food stop midway on that particular route) for something along those lines.  They're a Krispy Kreme dealer, with a rack for fresh ones when just delivered, and if you've ever had them, you know that a fresh warm Krispy Kreme glazed is well nigh indescribable.

DRs, I'm here to tell you that rack was EMPTY.  The few other breakfast pastries were unappealing, so there went those plans, right out the window on the Hutchinson River Parkway.  I was able to sleep in quite late this morning, and believe you me, a plate of slightly warmed KK product would be the PERFECT thing right about now.

Of course I should have dealt with this whilst on the isle of Manhattan, at least gotten something decent, somewhere.  By the time I got to Danbury, about 1 a.m., I'd downed a Snickers bar and thoughts of donuts had been left some miles back.  So, here I am.  A Man Without Donuts.  Or Doughnuts, as I prefer to "type", because those that remind me of the way Doughnuts used to be before there were Donuts, are my favorite.  The little Krispy Kreme glazed have the power to do that.

Ginny

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2012, 07:58:19 AM »

Here's a cute video of a freshman orientation tour at the University of Michigan.  44 years ago we didn't wade in the fountain, but the rest of it looks real familiar.  Go, Blue!

ChasSmith

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2012, 08:01:28 AM »

In my memory, the typing class I took one semester in high school was equal parts male/female, and I don't recall any stigma attached to it in any way.  It wasn't like a "shop" and "home ec" thing.  I'd previously taught myself to type (using the two fingers on each hand method) on my mother's ancient Royal at home, and was thrilled to finally learn it for real.

I do say "type", and so does every civilized person I know.

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2012, 08:04:29 AM »

Then there are the professional women from the generation ahead of mine who refused to learn to type for fear they'd be stuck in the secretarial pool.  I know one, still working in her 70s, who hand writes all her memos (even emails) and gives them to someone else to type.

ChasSmith

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2012, 08:11:48 AM »

TOD

I.  Love.  Food.   But my palate is far from the most sophisticated around.  In my family's early years in Whitehall (one of the first real Columbus suburbs), pizza was the "Cuisine of Another Country", and I, in high school and college and beyond, was the first in my family to branch out into Chinese, Jewish/Deli, and Mexican.  What does this tell you?  I even know what it tells me.  What was the question again?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 09:20:05 AM by ChasSmith »

Ginny

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2012, 08:18:09 AM »

Of course, the big event in our household this week is the installation of our new furnace and air conditioning.  I tried to post the promised photo of the new furnace sitting next to the old one, but got the message that the upload folder is full.

ChasSmith

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2012, 08:24:56 AM »

I hope my furnace lasts and lasts and lasts.  The people who service it compliment it on being among the last "really built" ones of whatever make it is, ca-1993.  I have forced air (oil) heat and a/c, and I don't know if newer furnaces are much smaller than this, but it's a solid performer.  The a/c, as I've said, is up for replacement...and have I yet made that call?  Of course not, and it's only going up into the mid-90s come Wednesday and Thursday.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2012, 08:40:18 AM »

Congrats to DR GINNY on her new HVAC installation.

Sorry to hear that both DR ELMORE and DR CHAS SMITH were foiled in their pastry attempts last night.  The good thing is, they always make more.....

KEYBOARDING.....hmmmmm......no I think I will stick to typing.

When I took my Typing I course in high school, there were a few other boys in there.  On the first day, everyone rushed in to find their seat....I didn't know why.

AND then I KNEW....only about half of the keyboards had letters on them.....so from the start I was at a typewriter with blank keys....  I think it made me learn more quickly.  But one thing I NEVER did understand was that in a 5-minute timed test, you had a chart that gave you the average number of words....but then you had to take the TOTAL of the mistakes you made from that average.  I always thought the mistakes should be averaged as well.....but it was an argument I was never able to win with my teacher.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2012, 08:40:35 AM »

Continued travel vibes for MR BK on the flying machine.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2012, 08:41:04 AM »

Remember - push the stick forward to go lower and pull the stick back to go higher.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2012, 08:49:57 AM »

Greetings from the airport.  Despite the nutty traffic on the New York streets (it took fifteen minutes to get across town, using up what I call my cushion time), we still got to the airport in thirty minutes - no traffic at all once we hit the midtown tunnel.  They had the special extra leg room line open so I breezed right to security and was through that in five minutes.  So, I'm earlier than expected, which is fine.  I'm at the gate now but might walk around and look at the shops.

ChasSmith

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2012, 09:02:46 AM »

AND then I KNEW....only about half of the keyboards had letters on them.....so from the start I was at a typewriter with blank keys....  I think it made me learn more quickly.  But one thing I NEVER did understand was that in a 5-minute timed test, you had a chart that gave you the average number of words....but then you had to take the TOTAL of the mistakes you made from that average.  I always thought the mistakes should be averaged as well.....but it was an argument I was never able to win with my teacher.

My first real day job in L.A., at a small trade catalog publishing company (across the street and down the block from the Original Tommy's, for them that knows their L.A.), was the greatest thing ever for making or breaking someone at the typewriter keyboard.  After a year of that I tested out at 110 WPM with two errors, and that's using every key (numbers, symbols, etc.) on the keyboard.

Ben

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2012, 09:02:48 AM »

Harvey Schmidt

visits The Fantasticks in NYC

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2012, 09:12:52 AM »

Well, Harvey, thanks for telling us you were in town!  I would have loved to see him. I'm sure BK would, too.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2012, 09:13:43 AM »

Please, can you explain the logic of this.  i've read this paragraph about five times, then five time over, and it is not making any sense.

Not from an educational point of view, not from a grading point of view.  were your teachers ever able to get you to understand why different types of typewriters, why the peculiar grading?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up