Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IN A NUTSHELL  (Read 20387 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
IN A NUTSHELL
« on: June 28, 2004, 12:01:26 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've interpreted the notes, you've mulled the notes, and now you are ready to post your deepest thoughts about any and everything under the sun and moon and stars and sky.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 12:02:09 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:IN A NUTSHELL
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 12:08:11 AM »

Oops (spoo, spelled backwards) I did not check my handy-dandy calendar - so if you've read the notes, go back and read page two again why don't you because we've got us a birthday to celebrate.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 12:09:13 AM »

I'm not a huge fan of disaster movies... ON THE BEACH comes to mind as one I really liked.
And THE TOWERING INFERNO and THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE were sort of fun.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 12:14:29 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY OUR VERY OWN MR. MARK BAKALOR!  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 12:16:07 AM »

Well, I must wuss out and sleep.  I have to get up very early to report for jury duty.  I don't have to be there until 8:00 a.m., but finding parking with be the big hassle.  There is some parking on the streets, but more likely, I'll have to park somewhere around Capitol Lake, which is about a quarter of a mile DOWNHILL, which would mean walking UP the big hill to get to the courthouse!  Please send me good-parking-location vibes!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 12:16:33 AM »

!!!BAPPY HIRTHDAY, BARK MAKALOR!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 12:17:46 AM »

and:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY (STILL FAIRLY NEW DADDY) MR. MARK BAKALOR!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 12:18:35 AM »

Well, I must wuss out and sleep.  I have to get up very early to report for jury duty.  I don't have to be there until 8:00 a.m., but finding parking with be the big hassle.  There is some parking on the streets, but more likely, I'll have to park somewhere around Capitol Lake, which is about a quarter of a mile DOWNHILL, which would mean walking UP the big hill to get to the courthouse!  Please send me good-parking-location vibes!!

When I was in high school, my religion teacher told us she would pray to her guardian angel whenever she was looking for a parking space.  -And, I have to say, sometimes that does the trick! ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2004, 12:23:22 AM »

Happy birthday Mark B.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004, 12:25:56 AM »

The topic of the day is "disaster movies"?  I thought it was going to be "condiments"?!?  I was all set to praise the glories of ketchup (or catsup), mustards of all kinds, mayonnaise, Tabasco, Texas Pete, sriracha "Rooster" sauce, sambal oleck, chimi-churri, barbecue sauce, sweet n' sour sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, plum sauce, hoisin sauce, tsatsiki, gremolata, mignonette, horseradish...

Well, in the meantime... I guess the POSEIDON ADVENTURE...

Once I get some sleep, I'll probably have more to post... So...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2004, 12:43:09 AM »

Stretching the definition of "disaster movies" a bit, I would include Hitchcock's The Birds to our list, as well as Gilliam's 12 Monkeys.  (Yeah, I know, we don't see the disaster happen in either film, really, but we see the before in both, the after in the second, and can use our imaginations to fill in the rest.)

Post-disaster?  28 Days Later surprised me a great deal.  I was expecting schlock, and instead got...intelligent schlock!  That's not an easy combination to achieve!

And how about a movie that's a disaster movie, and a real disaster of a movie: 1976's The Cassandra Crossing.  In a nutshell, the plot goes like this: Train fall down, go boom.  But how can anyone not like a film that stars Richard Harris, Sophia Loren, Burt Lancaster, Ava Gardner, and...O. J. Simpson!

(A word to Mr. Bakalor: Now that you're a daddy, don't plan on your birthday as being the important one.  Sorry, but them's the rules.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 12:44:34 AM »

Condiments?

Was it here, or for some other site, that der Brucer and I ended up researching "Monkey Sauce?"

:-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2004, 03:42:48 AM »

Morning all!

I'm running late and haven't had time to read notes or posts yet but wanted to let you all know I heard from Jane!

FROM JANE:
Had a great time in Budapest...on to Bratislava in a few hours.  Say hi to all on HHW.

Gotta run.  Have a GREAT day all!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARK!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2004, 04:42:44 AM »

TOD:Condiments in a nutshell.

Out of the LAtimes nutshell, I plucked these extracts of an unaccustomary sugary review:

Sunny, chance of rain

Director David Lee gets Harvey Schmidt and Tom Jones' openhearted 1963 musical version of 'The Rainmaker' just right at the Pasadena Playhouse.

By Rob Kendt
Special to The Times

Jun 28 2004

The tale is all in the telling with "110 in the Shade," Harvey Schmidt and Tom Jones' unabashedly big-hearted and soft-headed 1963 musicalization of N. Richard Nash's play "The Rainmaker," now in a roof-raising revival at the Pasadena Playhouse.

Nash's 1954 play was quaint even in its day — a dime-store pastiche of William Inge and Edna Ferber. Musicalizing it with their trademark mix of guileless tenderness and seamless theatrical craft, Schmidt and Jones — best known for "The Fantasticks" — give the material a bounce and a kick, even in its soggier passages.

With a show whose central theme is the power of imagination to either spur us on or doom us to frustration, the sweeping storytelling virtuosity of director David Lee is a beautiful fit. From the starkly gorgeous sunrise tableau that opens the show to its final joyous downpour, this is musical theater gold spun from hardy, all-American straw.

When good-natured Sheriff File (Ben Davis) steps out from a crowd of townsfolk as they resignedly watch another blistering day begin and sings, in a sonorous bass over plaintive, Copland-esque chord clusters, "The sun is razzin'," we're firmly planted in that realm of folksy Americana that seems to be the exclusive domain of certain Broadway musicals, from "Oklahoma!" to "Shenandoah," "The Music Man" to "Big River." It takes a certain kind of unembarrassed conviction to pull that off, and Lee's cast has it in spades.

The comically super-sized Lyle Kanouse plays a kindly patriarch with lip-smacking relish, and as his sons, rock-solid Tom Wilson and dashingly dopey Adam Wylie hit the right notes of slow-burning scorn and blissful innocence, respectively.

With the arrival of their sister Lizzie (Marin Mazzie), the show acquires some finer emotional shadings without losing its endearing obviousness. After all, Lizzie's quandary couldn't be writ larger: She's a homebody without a husband and she's not getting any younger. This reliable musical theater type — the too-smart would-be spinster who will taste the fruits of love, and surely lose a few hairpins, by the final curtain — is given inviting contours by Mazzie's uniquely feminine gravity.

Lizzie is intrigued but not fooled by the strapping young con man Starbuck (Jason Danieley), who blows into town on a ratty pickup truck and immediately whips the townsfolk into an evangelical frenzy with the promise of rain. Casting a look at skeptical Lizzie, he says, shrewdly mixing a tease and a threat, "Where there's suspicion around, it's a dry season." Starbuck's real trade is in dreams and faith, not acts of God, but clear-eyed Lizzie doesn't admit this distinction. For her, miracles aren't worth much if you can't touch them, which may be why she's able to succumb to Starbuck's inevitable seduction with her eyes wide open. She welcomes his wooing but not his worldview.

Mazzie is among the musical theater's great actor-singers — she can wring more out of a song's text and texture than would seem possible, particularly in her bitter "Old Maid" number, which she turns into a mad monologue worthy of "Rose's Turn." She and Kanouse also manage to make "Raunchy," Lizzie's mock-burlesque for her own father, into a loving rather than lusty character bit.

Both Danieley's big-talking dreamer and Davis' diffident sheriff boast a disarming mix of vocal virility and emotional vulnerability, in varying proportions. As a twittering town flirt, Alli Mauzey steals her scenes with coquettish aplomb, sparking irresistible puppy-dog yearning from Wylie's young swain.

Lee's knockout design team matches his expansive, elemental vision. Scenic designer Roy Christopher frames the stage with battered wood slats that look like cutaway pieces of barn or fences turned on their side; a rusty windmill looms ominously still at stageside.

Lighting designer Michael Gilliam paints a sky in shades of ochre and lavender so rich it looks edible. And Randy Gardell's unflashy, lived-in costumes strike a palette of dusty oranges and muted blues.

There's not much of Kay Cole's choreography, but what's there is just right. Steve Orich's music direction has as much momentum and flavor as the rest of the show's elements — which, naturally, include a triumphant torrent of H20. Singin' in the rain — what a wonderful feeling.

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2004, 05:31:20 AM »

Doris Dowling's obituary appears in today's NY Times. I was surprised it took so long for the Times to report her death.

After reading that she had appeared in Panama Hattie (when she would have been about 17 years old), I did a bit of googling and found this interesting piece of information:

"During her early career in the theatre she was part of a now legendary chorus line-up in Cole Porter's Panama Hattie (1940) that included such future stars as June Allyson, Vera-Ellen, Betsy Blair and Doris's sister Constance."

Ben

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2004, 05:32:44 AM »

Also not much of a fan of disaster movies although I enjoyed the original Airport, mainly because Hollywood came to the Minneapolis Saint Paul International Airport and gave us a small bit of fame, similar to our Mary Tyler Moore brush w/immortality. The movie also gave a small role to a personality then unknown outside of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Miss Nancy Nelson, now an Infomercial Queen. She was the insurance agent who sold the policy to Van Heflin.

I also enjoyed The Poseidon Adventure but more for the camp value than anything else.

I have mentioned this before but I am something of a Jury King. I have served 6 times. 4 juries and 2 grand jury panels. One jury was for a criminal case (came to verdict as they say in the trade), two were for civil cases (both went through the trial but settled out of court during deliberations) and one was a federal case revolving around discrimination (also came to verdict). Matt H. not only do they say "don't discuss" on television law shows, they also repeat it often in the real courtroom.

Ben

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2004, 05:34:08 AM »

Besty Blair is in the wonderful new documentary, Broadway: The Golden Age.

Ben

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2004, 05:34:56 AM »

Oooh, I forgot.

Happy Birthday to new (kind-of) father, Mark Bakalor!!!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2004, 06:01:12 AM »

As I've been saying since the eighties:

In these nefarious times we live in, one should always use condiments.

Favorite scene from a disaster flick:
"You're going the wrong way!"
from The Poseidon Adventure.

merrily mark the day, dad mark
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

BEEKAY

• I guess we aren't in Kansas anymore!
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2004, 06:05:41 AM »

Towering inferno, Earthquake and Poseidon Adventure. did it for me. Also quite liked the original  Airport movie. must have went about 7 times in a fortnight when it came out.
Happy birthday to the birthday boy.
Friend of Dorothy and all that stuff!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2004, 06:11:59 AM »

BK - When can you tell us DRs what the play you are directing is?

Karen Ziemba was a delight as Miss Adelaide in GUYS AND DOLLS at Papermill.  I can't think of another musical comedy performer today with her versatility.  She won a Tony® for a show which she danced a lot and acted a little but didn't sing; she starred at City Opera in a show that was mainly singing; and she has played roles where she did everything to various degrees.  She needs to do more television just so people know who she is.  The big surprise in the G&D cast was Bob "American Movie Classics" Dorian as Arvide ("More I Cannot Wish You").  But it was a uniformly great cast.

Next season Papermill has a great schedule, but that's not the impression I got from people talking before the show and at intermission... a lot of subscribers are not renewing because they don't like what is being done: OF THEE I SING, SHE LOVES ME, THE BAKER'S WIFE, RAGTIME and two new shows: HAROLD AND MAUDE - THE MUSICAL and a play called THE DRAWER MAN with John Mahoney.  I think it's a great schedule, but then I travel from NY to Papermill and am not a suburban New Jerseyite which is where they draw their main audience from.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2004, 06:35:19 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO BIG DADDY MARK BAKALOR!!![/move]

Stretching the definition of "disaster movies" a bit, I would include Hitchcock's The Birds to our list, as well as Gilliam's 12 Monkeys.  (Yeah, I know, we don't see the disaster happen in either film, really, but we see the before in both, the after in the second, and can use our imaginations to fill in the rest.)

Brrrrrrrrr.  SWW, you just made me imagine what if The Birds was remade today, with the action transferred to New York City.  I see visions of a white-capped Statue of Liberty (though not covered with snow).  I see the Empire State Building amassed with flocks of millions of woodpeckers that peck and poke at it's structure until it collapses into a pile of feathery rubble.  And I see trendy SOHO restaurants being invaded by hundreds of thousands of pigeons upturning tiny, three-legged tables and furiously fighting over minimalist cuisines (audiences will cheer as a haughty, pretentious, obviously untalented but a critics' darling artist-type has his eyes pecked out.)  

THE BIRDS!  You'll find out why the caged bird SCREAMS!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2004, 06:37:42 AM »

Happy Birthday, Mr. Mark!!!

I do not think the money figures for FAHRENHEIT 9/11 will be purposely inflated. SInce figures are estimated before the final showings on Sunday, there is undoubtedly some flucuation in the actual amounts, but this film is being so scrupulously watched that they're covering their bases pretty well as far as I'm concerned.

Big budget studio pictures might falsify their income to keep stock prices and the money men from revolting at less than fantastic results. But as FAHRENHEIT 9/11 made back its production cost on the FIRST DAY of its release, the need to inflate figures just doesn't seem that necessary to me. The film is obviously going to be the highest grossing documentary of all time once its run is complete, and the sold out shows across the country attest to the fact that the film has generated as much buzz as any of the big studio tentpole releases this summer. What an accomplishment!

BTW, I can't wait to see it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2004, 06:41:26 AM »

Shelley Winters was unforgettable as the Poseidon Adventure's zaftig swimming champion, but I'd have to pick Towering Inferno as my all-time favorite disaster movie.

It has it all - great special effects; a spectacular cast (Steve McQueen, William Holden, Paul Newman AND Fred Astaire); and a message that's as current today as it was 30 years ago.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2004, 06:41:38 AM »

Favorite disaster picture was and is THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE. I think the drama is actually pretty affecting, and effects for the time were superb. I still enjoy taking it out and watching it once a year. Within two years of it, though, I was tired and bored by disaster pictures. EARTHQUAKE, despite decent effects and Sensurround which was wonderful in its day, was laughable, and they seemed to get worse with THE SWARM, THE HINDENBURG, WHEN TIME RAN OUT, and all those AIRPORT movies, each worse than the previous one.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2004, 06:44:13 AM »

Yes, I liked THE TOWERING INFERNO, but it was SO big with SO many stories, and I felt that it pushed SO hard (too hard) to be the greatest disaster picture of all time. It kind of wore me out watching it. However, it DID get a Best Picture Oscar nomination, so what do I know?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2004, 06:48:56 AM »

I go along with everyone who has mentioned The Poseidon Adventure as their fav disaster movie.  It had everything--cool effects, major suspense, humor (the upsidedown toilet), a dandy theme song, Shelly Winters saving the day (if not herself) and Red Buttons getting the girl.  I loved it when I saw it in the movie theatre (it played at my local $1.00 movie house, the Walt Whitman, when I was in eighth grade.  I saw it about three times.)

(Dan-In-Toronto, I was still composing my post about TPA as you posted yours about The Towering Inferno.  I guess both movies "had it all".)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 06:52:22 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2004, 06:59:57 AM »

(Dan-In-Toronto, I was still composing my post about TPA as you posted yours about The Towering Inferno.  I guess both movies "had it all".)

Mine had O.J. Simpson.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2004, 07:06:02 AM »

Mine had O.J. Simpson.

Oh?  And did he unmodestly swim underwater wearing almost-too-sheer panties covering his ample posterior?  Did he?  Hmmmm?
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2004, 07:09:33 AM »

Oh, DTM, my eyes, my eyes!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up