Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THROWING CAUTION TO THE WIND  (Read 10563 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: THROWING CAUTION TO THE WIND
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2012, 07:27:27 AM »

TOD:

I like making friends with like interests, finding nice things to buy, photographs and information that is not available elsewhere (although you have to be sure it's true)......

I don't like all of the misinformation and most of all the TIME that is wasted trying to find something or just browsing.......
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 07:29:57 AM »

Page Two Youth Theatre Workshop THE TEMPEST dance.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:32:09 AM by Jrand61 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2012, 07:35:33 AM »

Oh wait....I have to add the photo to my Photobucket account.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2012, 07:39:35 AM »

Like this

Doug R

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2012, 07:42:06 AM »

TOD:

What I like about the internet:
The sheer volume of information that is readily available at any given time (even more so now that I can access it anywhere I go.)
Meeting people who I would have never have otherwise come in contact.
Delighting in the imagination and creativity of the people out there.

What I don't like:
The value of books and music--culture and information in general--has been severly cheapened.
The level of meaness that some people can rise to because of a mistaken notion of anonimity and distance.
Opinions are shared as soon as they're formed.  In social media, time is rarely given to think over and evaulate.
Great list. I would add that in leveling the playing field, the drawback is a level playing field. Everyone is now a critic or an expert, of restaurants, of movies, of theater, of screen-to-DVD  transfers, of politics, of soccer, of you name it. And I have no idea who the critic may be or that person's credentials. Why should I believe someone I don't know when he says a restaurant is bad; his taste could be deplorable. Or why would I listen to a woman I don't know about a play when I don't know what she likes and dislikes? That perspective is part of what is cheapening everything out there.

Very true. We have masses of information and opinions but need to be cautious as to its reliability.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2012, 07:46:20 AM »

Mr Cheyenne Jackson in ATTITUDE UK

FJL

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2012, 08:00:10 AM »

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:01:53 AM by FJL »

FJL

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2012, 08:05:07 AM »

Interesting that with all the very attractive notables and luminaries added to the nominating committee, most of the articles I read chose Cheyenne's photo to accompany the news of the additions to the Tony nominating committee.

Must be the nature of the sites I frequent.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2012, 08:06:42 AM »

I would choose his photo.....maybe more people will read the article.

As Jayne Mansfield said:  "To get ahead in Hollywood of course it is important to have talent.  But you don't have to go around wearing blankets."

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2012, 08:15:14 AM »

Hi there.  Been e&t both here (and other places like FB).  Camp began yesterday and we are having call backs for Aida which should be a great show.  Some really talented kids this year, the best ever.  Tonight, the behaviorist comes over to asses the situation with the DD's.  As you might recall, 2 do not get along.  So we'll see what she has to say.

I know not of the movies from the new Krtizerland releases, but I have an obsession with buses, so I must order the new CD.

Off to Egypt (which is just over the bridge and to the left) 

FJL

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2012, 08:16:06 AM »

I would choose his photo.....maybe more people will read the article.

As Jayne Mansfield said:  "To get ahead in Hollywood of course it is important to have talent.  But you don't have to go around wearing blankets."

Who was it who said:  Wearing the blanket will have to do if her husband walks in and your clothes are on the other side of the room

FJL

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2012, 08:19:36 AM »

Hmm, I may have made that up.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2012, 08:20:32 AM »

Credits flitting by in a nonce is nothing new--we used to joke that our sister-in-law's name appeared for a nanosecond at the end of every CHEERS episode.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2012, 08:22:30 AM »

Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that that "Hope you win!" message that pops up when you bid on eBay is not limited to me alone?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2012, 08:23:08 AM »

This morning has turtled by. I have accomplished much and feel as though the time should be 3-4 hours later than it is.

I'm thinking about lunch.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2012, 08:27:22 AM »

Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that that "Hope you win!" message that pops up when you bid on eBay is not limited to me alone?

I think I get one as well.

JMK

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2012, 08:54:40 AM »

I think I get one as well.

Yes, that was just the latest example of my scintillating humor.

Doug R

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2012, 08:57:11 AM »

How can you be so cynical.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2012, 09:59:08 AM »

TOD:

The sheer volume of information that is readily available at any given time (even more so now that I can access it anywhere I go.)

What I don't like:
The value of books and music--culture and information in general--has been severly cheapened.
The level of meaness that some people can rise to because of a mistaken notion of anonimity and distance.
Opinions are shared as soon as they're formed.  In social media, time is rarely given to think over and evaulate.

Very well summarized. 

But why do you think it's a mistaken notion of anonymity and distance?

Because unless you are a high-level hacker who has the deep knowledge and tools to cover tracks, your identity can be traced.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2012, 10:09:53 AM »

If anyone is interested you can hear my friend Alex talk about our recent Wedding on her radio show. She then plays a song for Anthony and me from the Kander and Ebb revue, And The World Goes Round. It's Marry Me (from The Rink) which turns into A Quiet Thing (from Flora, The Red Menace). It's a lovely moment (I'm a bit biased but there you have it).

The clip starts at about 1:36 on the clock (that's 1 hour and 36 minutes into the show, not 1 minute and 36 seconds, Songs from the Shows is a 2 hour program). If you move the slider do it in short increments until you get to 1:36. I've found that if you move it straight from the start to the time you're looking for the iPlayer will freeze.

Alex Hall BBC Tees

Very  nice, Ben.  Isn't it strange that we can have such dear friends that we truly care a lot about, and yet have never met?  T.O.D.:  One of the good things about the internet.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ben

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2012, 10:17:35 AM »

It is surprising how many people I consider friends are people on the Internet that I have either never met or only rarely see.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2012, 10:27:20 AM »

Does anybody here watch CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM?

We finished watching the 8th season last night on DVD, and I became aware of something disturbing that is, in fact, present in all seasons of the series.

During the end credits of every show, names of the producers, writers, director, and 3-4 regular cast members have their own cards and are easy to read.  But, beyond that, the names of the other actors go by SO FAST that it is impossible to read them.

In several instances, I wanted to see who played a certain role, but I can't read that fast.

How much would it cost the producers to extend those cards another 2-3 seconds in length?

I just wonder why SAG nor anybody else has never objected to this rude practice. 
I can't answer why they did that, but you could got to imdb.com to see who was in the show.

I've already done that.

I just think it's inconsiderate and rude to the other actors.

Or you could pause the dvd. I find many times the names go by too fast and I have to pause the dvd.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »

Well, it's 98 degrees now and it's only 12:20. Wonder what it's going to climb to this afternoon.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2012, 10:34:20 AM »

It's warmer inside my apartment than it is outside!  I don't like that at all.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2012, 10:39:42 AM »

Tuesday afternoon greetings!  The HVAC guys were back, as scheduled, at 8:30am and they're still here finishing up the installation of the new furnace.  I spent a couple of hours this morning with the new-ish director of our local public library, discussing several projects.  Now I'm waiting to go to the grocery until I can be sure that the trucks will be out of the driveway when I get back.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2012, 10:54:38 AM »

DR George wrote re: an article DR TCB posted:
I don't think that the article says that the Kindle can only hold 20 books but just used a random number as an example...I have almost 200 titles on my Kindle.  Okay, a lot are short stories, but I do have quite a few full-length books.

Right they weren't saying that a kindle can hold 20 books. The kindle can hold probably 1000s.

I  don't know if these two things have anything in common, but yesterday on the broadcast they were saying you  could have multiple books open to read, for those who don't stick with the same book until it is finished.  I don't know about twenty, but I am just repeating what they said.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 11:13:21 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2012, 11:01:16 AM »

TOD:

What I don't like:
Great list. I would add that in leveling the playing field, the drawback is a level playing field. Everyone is now a critic or an expert, of restaurants, of movies, of theater, of screen-to-DVD  transfers, of politics, of soccer, of you name it. And I have no idea who the critic may be or that person's credentials. Why should I believe someone I don't know when he says a restaurant is bad; his taste could be deplorable. Or why would I listen to a woman I don't know about a play when I don't know what she likes and dislikes? That perspective is part of what is cheapening everything out there.

Who are you calling cheap?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2012, 11:03:13 AM »

Does anybody here watch CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM?

We finished watching the 8th season last night on DVD, and I became aware of something disturbing that is, in fact, present in all seasons of the series.

During the end credits of every show, names of the producers, writers, director, and 3-4 regular cast members have their own cards and are easy to read.  But, beyond that, the names of the other actors go by SO FAST that it is impossible to read them.

In several instances, I wanted to see who played a certain role, but I can't read that fast.

How much would it cost the producers to extend those cards another 2-3 seconds in length?

I just wonder why SAG nor anybody else has never objected to this rude practice. 

You can always "Pause" the DVD.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2012, 11:08:20 AM »

I understand Mr. Jackson is on the Tony nominating committee this year.

Confirmed in Playbill

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/167162-Mark-Brokaw-Cheyenne-Jackson-Liza-Gennaro-Adam-Guettel-and-More-Join-Tony-Nominating-Committee-for-2012-13

They have to attend every Broadway show?  Wow that could be a full-time job.  And a lot of shows you would need to attend during the first week.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 11:14:12 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2012, 11:14:47 AM »

Okay, here we go.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up