Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THROWING CAUTION TO THE WIND  (Read 10566 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: THROWING CAUTION TO THE WIND
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »

Page Three.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2012, 11:25:34 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I've been up for thirty minutes, although I was also up much earlier but needed to sleep more, which I finally did.  I was on the phone with the pressing plant and will shortly fax them the info sheet for JHS so they can get going on it.  They should have the master today or tomorrow.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2012, 11:28:05 AM »

Does anybody here watch CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM?

We finished watching the 8th season last night on DVD, and I became aware of something disturbing that is, in fact, present in all seasons of the series.

During the end credits of every show, names of the producers, writers, director, and 3-4 regular cast members have their own cards and are easy to read.  But, beyond that, the names of the other actors go by SO FAST that it is impossible to read them.

In several instances, I wanted to see who played a certain role, but I can't read that fast.

How much would it cost the producers to extend those cards another 2-3 seconds in length?

I just wonder why SAG nor anybody else has never objected to this rude practice. 

Maybe they thought that, since it's on DVD (or that most people have DVRs), the people watching can pause and freeze the frame.

Doesn't make it right.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2012, 11:29:24 AM »

If anyone is interested you can hear my friend Alex talk about our recent Wedding on her radio show. She then plays a song for Anthony and me from the Kander and Ebb revue, And The World Goes Round. It's Marry Me (from The Rink) which turns into A Quiet Thing (from Flora, The Red Menace). It's a lovely moment (I'm a bit biased but there you have it).

The clip starts at about 1:36 on the clock (that's 1 hour and 36 minutes into the show, not 1 minute and 36 seconds, Songs from the Shows is a 2 hour program). If you move the slider do it in short increments until you get to 1:36. I've found that if you move it straight from the start to the time you're looking for the iPlayer will freeze.

Alex Hall BBC Tees

That's very sweet! 

Except "Marry Me" has the line, "You may not know it yet but I'm the best you'll get." ::) That's plot driven and doesn't really make for a good actual wedding song out of context from the show.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2012, 11:38:28 AM »

The whole credit speed thing doesn't just happen on DVDs, it's also endemic on broadcast and cable shows. You can't read most credits because they go by so fast and are so small that they are practically unreadable.

George

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2012, 11:48:45 AM »

The whole credit speed thing doesn't just happen on DVDs, it's also endemic on broadcast and cable shows. You can't read most credits because they go by so fast and are so small that they are practically unreadable.

AND the stations usually squish them down to almost nothing so that they can preview either the next show, or next week's show or some other show. :P

Doug R

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2012, 11:51:49 AM »

A picture of my favorite fruit, cherries, of which I've just been eating some. Britain doesn't get enough sun for really good cherries. Most of ours are imported from Spain or Italy but the best are from the US which we get a bit later in the summer.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2012, 11:52:25 AM »

If anyone is interested you can hear my friend Alex talk about our recent Wedding on her radio show. She then plays a song for Anthony and me from the Kander and Ebb revue, And The World Goes Round. It's Marry Me (from The Rink) which turns into A Quiet Thing (from Flora, The Red Menace). It's a lovely moment (I'm a bit biased but there you have it).

The clip starts at about 1:36 on the clock (that's 1 hour and 36 minutes into the show, not 1 minute and 36 seconds, Songs from the Shows is a 2 hour program). If you move the slider do it in short increments until you get to 1:36. I've found that if you move it straight from the start to the time you're looking for the iPlayer will freeze.

Alex Hall BBC Tees

That's very sweet! 

Except "Marry Me" has the line, "You may not know it yet but I'm the best you'll get." ::) That's plot driven and doesn't really make for a good actual wedding song out of context from the show.

Oh come on, Ben says that to Ant, at least, three times a day.
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2012, 12:08:46 PM »

Alex Hall BBC Tees

That's very sweet! 

Oh come on, Ben says that to Ant, at least, three times a day.

Well, at least they say it with love! :D

George

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2012, 12:09:48 PM »

I understand Mr. Jackson is on the Tony nominating committee this year.

Confirmed in Playbill

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/167162-Mark-Brokaw-Cheyenne-Jackson-Liza-Gennaro-Adam-Guettel-and-More-Join-Tony-Nominating-Committee-for-2012-13

They have to attend every Broadway show?  Wow that could be a full-time job.  And a lot of shows you would need to attend during the first week.

And how many shows open just before the cut-off date??

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2012, 12:22:41 PM »

Doug R,  I'm a cherry freak, too. In Italy, we learned to take those cherries, pit them, soak them in rum and sugar, then serve with flavored whipped cream. It's a happy thing.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2012, 12:40:21 PM »

I want dessert!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2012, 12:40:30 PM »

NOW!

George

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2012, 12:42:09 PM »

TOD:

What I like about the internet:
The sheer volume of information that is readily available at any given time (even more so now that I can access it anywhere I go.)
Meeting people who I would have never have otherwise come in contact.
Delighting in the imagination and creativity of the people out there.

What I don't like:
The value of books and music--culture and information in general--has been severly cheapened.
The level of meaness that some people can rise to because of a mistaken notion of anonimity and distance.
Opinions are shared as soon as they're formed.  In social media, time is rarely given to think over and evaulate.

Agreed.

George

« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2012, 12:42:17 PM »

TOD:

What I like about the internet:
The sheer volume of information that is readily available at any given time (even more so now that I can access it anywhere I go.)
Meeting people who I would have never have otherwise come in contact.
Delighting in the imagination and creativity of the people out there.

What I don't like:
The value of books and music--culture and information in general--has been severly cheapened.
The level of meaness that some people can rise to because of a mistaken notion of anonimity and distance.
Opinions are shared as soon as they're formed.  In social media, time is rarely given to think over and evaulate.
Great list. I would add that in leveling the playing field, the drawback is a level playing field. Everyone is now a critic or an expert, of restaurants, of movies, of theater, of screen-to-DVD  transfers, of politics, of soccer, of you name it. And I have no idea who the critic may be or that person's credentials. Why should I believe someone I don't know when he says a restaurant is bad; his taste could be deplorable. Or why would I listen to a woman I don't know about a play when I don't know what she likes and dislikes? That perspective is part of what is cheapening everything out there.

Agreed, too.

George

« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2012, 12:42:39 PM »

John G.

« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2012, 12:55:49 PM »

The thermometer says 102. I'm glad I'm in air conditioning.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2012, 01:20:23 PM »

It's 73 outside and VERY sunny!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2012, 01:31:27 PM »

Warm today - hot tamale.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2012, 01:31:54 PM »

Going to rehearsal so I can find some properties upstairs....hope they are still there.

ChasSmith

« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2012, 01:44:34 PM »

I'm stuffed to the gills with a Five Guys cheeseburger and fries, but you can set those cherries and rum and whipped cream in front of me right now.

Ginny

« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2012, 01:55:30 PM »

Well, it was after 4pm before the last truck left our driveway.  Since I have to be at a meeting at 7, it was too late to go out shopping.  We'll probably have breakfast for dinner and I'll go shopping in the morning.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2012, 02:26:12 PM »

Back from a sandwich and no fries, picking up one package, but now have to go back to pick up a couple more that came via Ontrak.  In other news, I have, for about the tenth time, been banned from blu-ray.com because the "site manager" made yet another snarky post in my direction that was truly childish and stupid.  I posted in response that I found it odd that a site manager would have to stoop to such a thing and added, "The one thing we know is that no one will be moderating you."  A true statement but one he, in his infantile way, could not deal with.  Normally the ban comes off after a few days, but I really don't care one way or the other.  They clearly don't want professionals or people who know what they're talking about - they want only people who make pronouncements based on screen caps, only people whose sum total of knowledge has been gleaned from the Internet and watching a DVD or Blu-ray who are suddenly experts in everything.  Why not?  And there you would have the reason for today's topic of discussion.

John G.

« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2012, 02:40:10 PM »

Sorry to hear that, BK. But I'm more sorry for the person who is seeking knowledgeable information. It means that the idiots are winning in yet another arena.
― Voltaire

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2012, 02:53:51 PM »

And the word of the day is: MAKEBATE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  TROUBLE

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2012, 03:13:25 PM »

I could use an air conditioner.  The high here today was 59
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 03:27:44 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »

I could use an air condioner.  The high here today was 59

Three more posts and we can move to the next page!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2012, 03:23:21 PM »

Must I do everything!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!