ChasSmith

Re: WACKY
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012, 07:40:22 AM »

Everything about it.

MBarnum

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2012, 07:55:24 AM »

TOD:

DVR: 3 or 4 films recorded off of TCM this week.

DVD: Something with lots of angst, comedy, musical numbers, and subtitles, most likely.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2012, 07:59:11 AM »

Off to camp.  We'll finish the vocal's for Act One today, and start briefly on Act Two.  Monday and Tuesday next week, I'm with the little kids camp - we're doing Dear Edwina Jr which I'm very excited about.  Anyhow, we have callbacks and casting on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday is a holiday.  Then my day will be split in half bigger kids in the morning little-er kids in the afternoon.  I'm happy to have at least 2/3 of Aida taught by the end of week one. 

And these are the days of our lives.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2012, 08:01:31 AM »

And the word of the day is: SYNDIC!

And The Song Of The Day Is: I'M AN ERRAND BOY FOR RHYTHM

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2012, 08:04:38 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  Today I'm having a perm and generally trying to avoid the heat that continues in SW Ohio.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2012, 08:16:01 AM »

Richard and I had a lovely time last night at Music Hall.  Our seats were in the 6 row of the balcony, which is great, but they were not as centered as I'd have liked.  We could still see very well, except the action that took place downstage left.  We had to crane our necks a bit to see Porgy's domicile.  And, yes, DR Elmore's friend David Abell was the conductor and the orchestra sounded great.

The production was very well done and I'm glad to have seen it, but I don't think I'll go out of my way to see a full-length PORGY & BESS again.  The synopsis in the program was written in 3 acts, but there was only one intermission that occurred in the middle of the Act 2 paragraph.  The show kind of dragged after intermission.  And I was appalled at the droves of people who left as soon as it ended, not even bothering to stay for the curtain call.  Of course, their exodus blocked the view for those of us who had the manners to stay and show our appreciation to the company.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2012, 08:24:45 AM »

As much as I love the piece, you remind me that sitting through the complete opera makes for a VERY long afternoon or evening.  Too bad about the single intermission break.  I wonder if they did that to manage overtime.

I do envy you hearing that MAGNIFICENT orchestration in one of the best halls in the country!   :)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 08:31:33 AM »

Richard and I had a lovely time last night at Music Hall.  Our seats were in the 6 row of the balcony, which is great, but they were not as centered as I'd have liked.  We could still see very well, except the action that took place downstage left.  We had to crane our necks a bit to see Porgy's domicile.  And, yes, DR Elmore's friend David Abell was the conductor and the orchestra sounded great.

The production was very well done and I'm glad to have seen it, but I don't think I'll go out of my way to see a full-length PORGY & BESS again.  The synopsis in the program was written in 3 acts, but there was only one intermission that occurred in the middle of the Act 2 paragraph.  The show kind of dragged after intermission.  And I was appalled at the droves of people who left as soon as it ended, not even bothering to stay for the curtain call.  Of course, their exodus blocked the view for those of us who had the manners to stay and show our appreciation to the company.
When I lived in Sarasota, Fla., the number of people who got up and left the opera at 11 p.m., regardless of how much time was left in the production, was appalling, too. Their morning tee times at the golf course were more important, which led me to wonder: Why did they bother going to the opera in the first place?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 08:36:56 AM »

For anyone looking for this masterpiece:

UNSEEMLY WACKY NOODLES

1 12oz. bag of wide egg noodles, mostaciolli or bow tie pasta (your choice).

Boil them noodles.

Drain them noodles and put 'em back in the pot and put the pot back on the stove and put the flame on low.

To the noodles add the following:

One can cream of mushroom soup
Fill the empty soup can with milk and add that.
Add as much dried minced onion as you like (the kind you find in the seasoning section of your market)
Add salt and pepper
Add two tablespoons or a bit more of ketchup (don't be scared, you must trust me - this is basically for color and it adds just the right flavor ultimately)
Mix it all together whilst singing Beat Me Daddy Eight to the Bar
When it is heated through and through add five to eight ounces of sour cream (depending on your waist size) and mix again thoroughly and heat on low until hot, stirring constantly. Serve (will probably need extra salt as you serve).

Now, I know it sounds wacky, because, after all, they are Wacky Noodles, but they are delicious, kind of like stroganoff without meat. Give it a try, you'll like it for sure.

Posted by bk @ 01/11/2003 03:36 PM PST
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2012, 08:38:09 AM »

As much as I love the piece, you remind me that sitting through the complete opera makes for a VERY long afternoon or evening.  Too bad about the single intermission break.  I wonder if they did that to manage overtime.

I do envy you hearing that MAGNIFICENT orchestration in one of the best halls in the country!   :)

Yes, DR ChasSmith, it doesn't get much better than Music Hall.  You may or may not have heard that it's in need of some major repair and rehab and the city and a preservation committee are fighting over whose responsibility that is.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2012, 08:39:33 AM »

Get the Houston Grand Opera recording! It's the best, and you can listyen at your liesure.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 08:42:40 AM »

When I lived in Sarasota, Fla., the number of people who got up and left the opera at 11 p.m., regardless of how much time was left in the production, was appalling, too. Their morning tee times at the golf course were more important, which led me to wonder: Why did they bother going to the opera in the first place?

We wondered that about the couple sitting behind us, because they didn't return after intermission.  That was OK with me, though, because she was a hummer and a toe-tapper.  Because we were in the steep balcony, her toe-taps were just below ear-level for me and she was slightly out of rhythm.  I couldn't decide if she was demented or just rude.

On the upside, we discovered our friends Doug and Julie sitting one row in front of us at the other end of our section.  We had a nice chat with them during intermission and walked with them to the parking garage.

ChasSmith

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2012, 08:47:19 AM »

Thank you, TCB, for stepping up to the plate.  As it were.

One question:

What do we do if we don't know "Beat Me Daddy Eight to the Bar"?

ChasSmith

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2012, 08:48:18 AM »

Can a substitution be made?

Ginny

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2012, 08:51:09 AM »

DR Elmore, I knew you'd have a recording to recommend!  Amazon shows several from HGO - can you post a picture of the one I should get?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2012, 09:06:40 AM »

I hate having to jump to photobucket to download a damned photo. Is no one going to administrate this site?

Jeez!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2012, 09:09:31 AM »

Post fuckin deleted!

Laura

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2012, 09:09:50 AM »

It's because of people like me that the photo file is full.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2012, 09:10:38 AM »

Here's a thought -- perhaps some day BK could unlock a few threads and let people go in and edit their posts -- removing the photos.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2012, 09:17:35 AM »

DR Elmore, I knew you'd have a recording to recommend!  Amazon shows several from HGO - can you post a picture of the one I should get?

One's the original and the blue cover's a reissue.

Today is Frank Loesser's birthday. Yesterday was Richard Rodgers'.

ChasSmith

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2012, 09:25:09 AM »

Today is Frank Loesser's birthday. Yesterday was Richard Rodgers'.

Wow.  Happy birthday, boys!

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2012, 09:37:52 AM »

This one, DR Elmore?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2012, 09:38:30 AM »

Yep!

Ginny

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2012, 09:41:07 AM »

Thanks!  Off to see Tina for a perm - bye for now!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2012, 09:48:18 AM »

I gotta tell you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2012, 09:48:31 AM »

I'm up, after not quite enough sleep.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2012, 09:49:09 AM »

I'm beginning to see the problem with Legrand - too many ballads.  It was my thought to do a Legrand evening next but I can see it's not going to work. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2012, 09:49:43 AM »

Jrand, Kritzerland shows are always on Sunday, save for one exception this year - our two-year anniversary show will be on a Saturday night.

ChasSmith

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2012, 09:51:17 AM »

How good was the Cleveland Orchestra PORGY?  I remember being thrilled when it came out because it was the first complete recording, but don't recall anything about how it sounded or what they did with it.  I'm guessing it ranks well below the Houston.  Any other worthy ones out there?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up