Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LAST OF JUNE  (Read 24027 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE LAST OF JUNE
« Reply #180 on: June 30, 2004, 09:50:18 PM »

Well personally....I know a little bit about a LOT of things....so if someone says something I KNOW is wrong....I am compelled....COMPELLED to correct that person.  This can happen even if said person is a stranger.  

Especially if said stranger is passing along misinformation!!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #181 on: June 30, 2004, 09:50:30 PM »

I should think of something clever to say right about now, as we're nearing Page Seven. Have been sitting in front of the computer since very early morning. Except for one break to go out into the world, a bit of a rest and some phone calls. Ask me if I've done brilliant writing. No, don't ask me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #182 on: June 30, 2004, 09:52:30 PM »

Page 7 Dance!!  8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #183 on: June 30, 2004, 09:53:13 PM »

DR PANNI are you interested in the subject of Aimee Semple McPherson?

Panni

« Reply #184 on: June 30, 2004, 09:53:43 PM »

While I was writing my post, we got to Page Seven! I think I'll clear my throat to celebrate.

Panni

« Reply #185 on: June 30, 2004, 09:55:52 PM »

DR PANNI are you interested in the subject of Aimee Semple McPherson?

Sure. She was an interesting lady. Hallelujah! Why?

Panni

« Reply #186 on: June 30, 2004, 10:01:23 PM »

The Dear Daughter's boyfriend saw FAHRENHEIT 9/11 in San  Diego which is a big military town. Lots of family of men and women who are deployed in Iraq and other places. He said the audience was weeping all through the movie.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #187 on: June 30, 2004, 10:04:26 PM »

There is a NEW movie coming out about ASM and there is a Yahoo group that has the trailer and some photos from the film.

Great subject....hope it's a good movie.  Do you have Yahoo....I can send the group url if you want to join and check it out.   I think the director is in charge of the group.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #188 on: June 30, 2004, 10:15:10 PM »

Personal quirk - even though I hate it, I clear my throat way too much.  Don't know why, really, but I wish I could stop doing it.

A friend of mine in college said that people (in general) do this because they don't drink enough water.  You could try that...unless you drink a lot of water already. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #189 on: June 30, 2004, 10:16:48 PM »

Panni, the trouble is that everyone else discovered "the glory of black" too.  It's no longer any sort of personal fashion statement when everybody else in the room is dressed in the same damn thing.  Every Hollywood party, screening, or opening, I go to everyone is dressed in the so-called "power" colour of black.  All our youth seem to be dressed in nondescript, existensial black.  It is all very, very boring.

George

« Reply #190 on: June 30, 2004, 10:22:50 PM »

Panni, the trouble is that everyone else discovered "the glory of black" too.  It's no longer any sort of personal fashion statement when everybody else in the room is dressed in the same damn thing.  Every Hollywood party, screening, or opening, I go to everyone is dressed in the so-called "power" colour of black.  All our youth seem to be dressed in nondescript, existensial black.  It is all very, very boring.

Last week (I think) Oprah said that pink is the new black!  Everyone " Think Pink!" (an Angry Housewives and Funny Face reference)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 10:24:37 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #191 on: June 30, 2004, 10:27:02 PM »

Good Evening!

What an interesting night at Wolf Trap...

Since it was Gala Night, they had a later curtain than usual, 8:30.  Upon opening the playbill, there was no real program listed for tonight's program.  Just a page with:

Linda Rondstadt
and the
Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
plus her band performing her
GREATEST ROCK HITS
and the great
AMERICAN STANDARDS
as arranged by Nelson Riddle
{Ms. Ronstadt's pciture}
Then briefs bios of Ms. Ronstadt and The BSO.

No song listing - which I didn't really expect - but no conductor listed either - not even the standard listing for the head and associate conductors for the BSO.

Well...

After watching the parade of tuxes and evening dresses coming into the house from the Gala reception, the lights came down around 8:40.  The concertmistress walked out and the orchestra tuned up.  Then the unidentified conductor came out, and he led the BSO in a Gershwin overture.  -I'm sorry, I don't know which one it was, and since there was no listing in the program...  After the opening selection, a gentleman walked on-stage, and welcomed the crowd to the Gala.  Then he introduced the "surprise" conductor - who's name I didn't know, but he's based out of Virginia - and then the "surprise" piano soloist.  -And, yes, he used the word "surprise". ???  And from the tone he was using, it seemed that "surprise" meant "last minute replacement".  Then he said the orchestra would play one more selection with the soloist which would be followed by an intermission after which Ms. Ronstadt would take us through the American songbook.  Hmm...

This was the first point in the evening where you could feel the energy in the house just shift a little bit.  Yes, it was Gala Night, but all the advertisements simply mentioned that Linda Ronstadt would be singing that evening.  So, as the opening clarinet trill of Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" started, there was some very audible shifting in the seats from those audience members who had obviously come to see and hear Ms. Ronstadt, not the Baltimore Symphony with some "surprise" soloist led by a "surprise" conductor.  -And the gentleman in front of me and my friend, Andy (who took me to the concert), was particularly fidgety.  Even his mother, we presumed, who was sitting next to him was trying to keep him still in his seat throughout the first half of the evening.

*And after thinking about it, if you paid $48.00 to go see Linda Ronstadt, you want to see Linda Ronstadt.  But since I actually like orchestral music, and "Rhapsody In Blue" was one of the first pieces of music I ever tried to learn, I didn't mind the orchestral prelude to Ms. Rondstadt's portion of the night.  And after years of attending "Pops" concerts, I'm used to the headliner not performing the whole evening.

In any case, the pianist played a fine "Rhapsody", and for me, it was nice to hear the piece played live for the first time in a long time.  It wasn't the most brilliant rendition I've ever heard, but there was some nice musical moments throughout.  -And the clarinet, trumpet and trombone players were having a field day with all the blues bends - at times it seemed like they were just "lipping" from note to note - lots of sliding going on.

Intermission.

The lights come down again, the orchestra starts an intro... Wait - who is this conductor?!?!?!... Ms. Ronstadt walks out... "What's New?"... Aahh... And after the song, she introduced her conductor for the evening, jazz pianist and arranger, Alan Broadbent.

All in all, Ms. Ronstadt was in great voice throughout the evening, and some of those final notes just seemed to go on forever.  After some of the Nelson Riddle arrangements, Mr. Broadbent headed to the piano, and Ms. Ronstadt performed two numbers from her upcoming album (on Verve) of jazz standards that her and Mr. Broadbent have been working on.  There was a Cole Porter number, and a particularly neat treatment of "Never, Never Will I Marry".

Then the band started up, and the piano started playing some octaves, and then a good portion of the audience started to come to life: "Just One Look".  She then started going through some of her 70's hits, as well as a trio of Jimmy Webb songs.  After the Webb songs, she commented, "I promise no more Jimmy Webb songs," and then explained that if you're happy, just be happy, but if you're depressed, then there is nothing like singing a sad song to make you feel better.  -I had never really heard those songs before, and I'm gonna have to look them up and add them to my library in both audio and print form.  "Somewhere, Out There," a number from one of the "Trio" albums, and then "Blue Bayou".  And that was it...

It was a solid hour of singing, with lots of variety, and Ms. Ronstadt demonstrated that she still has quite the instrument and quite the vocal range.

Well, then came the encore...

(To Be Continued...)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: June 30, 2004, 10:32:46 PM »

I don't drink any water - maybe that's the problem.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #193 on: June 30, 2004, 10:36:25 PM »

Well...it's better than the psychological explanation!   LOL

George

« Reply #194 on: June 30, 2004, 10:51:39 PM »

Here are some questions for BK and anyone who makes CDs from albums

So, does no one make CDs from albums??

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #195 on: June 30, 2004, 10:57:07 PM »

BK, it could very well be the problem if all you drink is diet coke.  Do you suffer from acid reflux.  Drinking nothing but carbonated beverages cannot be good for you or your esophagus.

Panni

« Reply #196 on: June 30, 2004, 11:06:38 PM »

Thanks for the offer, JR - but I think I'll pass on checking out the ASM group. I'm in the midst of writing and am trying to limit my extracuricular internet roamings.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #197 on: June 30, 2004, 11:10:39 PM »

Good Evening!  Part 2-

Then came the encore...

After her "final" number, you could kind of tell there would be an encore since everyone on stage was looking at each other - well, at least the orchestra members who obviously still had some music on their stands.  And the house lights never really dimmed or came up again.

After some applause, Ms. Ronstadt came back on stage with the pianist from the first half, Terrence Wilson, if I recall correctly and they took a bow together.  Then Ms. Ronstadt moved back to her microphone...

-The following is most likely not word-for-word, but I'm pretty sure it's close...

"I have one more number I'd like to do tonight, and I'd like to dedicate it to someone special.  Someone who is a true American patriot.  And who's new movie I saw this past weekend.  Twice.  Michael Moore."

This was the second time during the evening that you could feel the energy in the house shift just a little bit.  Well, not just a little bit this time.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The chorus of "Boo's" was quite loud, and continued throughout the piano intro to her encore, "Desperado".  Then just as the piano intro was over, and she was about to sing, she snuck in, "I love you, Michael Moore."

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
"De----sperado..."

-Mind you, I wasn't booing, I was kind of laughing(?) at that time.  And kind of in shock.  First at her very political statement, and then at the very vocal reaction from the house.

Keep in mind - This was Gala Night for Wolf Trap.  One of their main fundraising nights throughout the year.  There was a lot of money in the house tonight.  Additionally, suburban Virginia is not exactly known for it's heavy Democratic leanings.

About halfway through "Desperado," the chorus of boos had died down, and after the piano outro, the audience - at least those who weren't on their way to their cars already - applauded heartily.  And there were still a few stray boos here and there.

Needless to say, the vibe of the audience as we left the Filene Center was quite lively and provocative.  As we worked our way back to my car, the various snippets of conversation we heard ran the gamut.  People liked the concert.  People thought the concert was too short.  People thought she shouldn't have done "that".  People thought it was good that she did "that".  People weren't sure exactly that "that" had happened.  Etc., etc., etc...

Personally, I'm still really not sure what to think of the whole hub-bub.  It's not like Ms. Ronstadt's political leanings and past political involvements are unknown.  But, boy, did she wake up the audience!  For better or worse.  I'll have to see if the Washington Post mentions the "incident" in tomorrow's late editions.  I also seriously have to wonder if Ms. Ronstadt's statement tonight could have an adverse effect on Wolf Trap's donor base.

The event reminded me of a vocal recital I went to given by baritone, Thomas Allen, a couple of years ago.  After he sang one of the Benjamin Britten British folksong arrangements, there were a few "boos" from the audience.  Then a woman walked up the aisle and stood in front of the stage, and started protesting Mr. Allen's choice to sing the song he did - well, the version of the song he chose to sing.  I can't remember the specific title of the song, but the original lyric has been interpreted as being anti-Semitic.  Mr. Allen and his pianist, left the stage, and after the audience had calmed down - and after some of them had left - Mr. Allen and his pianist came back on stage and completed the set of songs.

The moral for the evening:  If you bring Jose to a concert or recital with you, expect a little "extra" entertainment during your evening!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #198 on: June 30, 2004, 11:13:31 PM »

The moral for the evening:  If you bring Jose to a concert or recital with you, expect a little "extra" entertainment during your evening!

;)

And if that's not a setup for a TCB rejoinder, I don't know what is!   :o ;D ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #199 on: June 30, 2004, 11:14:09 PM »

Last week (I think) Oprah said that pink is the new black!  Everyone " Think Pink!" (an Angry Housewives and Funny Face reference)

Is that "Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons" you're talking about? If it is, that's strange. I took it off the shelf earlier today to check something. It was a book I was asked to adapt as a series a while back. Worked out an approach and pitched it at CBS and a few other places,  but no one bit ("too soft"). I was thinking today that maybe I should look into it again.

Tomovoz

« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2004, 11:21:20 PM »

Thank you for in depth review Jose. Another reason why Ronstadt is one of my all time favourites. Hope you can find out the names of the Webb songs.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #201 on: June 30, 2004, 11:24:12 PM »

Is that "Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons" you're talking about? If it is, that's strange. I took it off the shelf earlier today to check something. It was a book I was asked to adapt as a series a while back. Worked out an approach and pitched it at CBS and a few other places,  but no one bit ("too soft"). I was thinking today that maybe I should look into it again.

Nope.  It's a musical called Angry Housewives and it's never been recorded (as far as I know).  It has a song early in the show called "Think Pink" and has the lyrics, "Think positive, think perky, think pink!"

Anyway, the show is about these four women (anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong) who want to make a little extra money so they form a punk rock group and enter a punk rock contest to win a big cash prize.  One of the women has trouble swearing and in one of the songs, she has to sing "Eat  your f***ing cornflakes!"  She can't say "the f-word" so she says "friggin'."  At the end of the first act she's a bit drunk (I think) and at the contest she lets go big time and screams out in the song "EAT YOUR FUCK-ING CORN-FLAKES!!"  They win the contest of course, but reality sets in and they have to deal with their lives in the second act.

Tomovoz

« Reply #202 on: June 30, 2004, 11:25:13 PM »

DR George. I transfer my vinyl to audio tape and then to Cd with a copier not a burner. I thus do not use any"clean up" programme. I did install one on my computer so I could try to "clean up" songs already transferred to Cd. So far- failure. I am just not computer savy enough to get anything to happen. I asked when I bought the programme if it could be used that way. I guess I need a 13 year old student to come and teach me what do with the programme.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #203 on: June 30, 2004, 11:25:45 PM »

Lest we forget, Miss Ronstadt was once the paramour of Governor Moonbeam (who is now the mayor of Oakland.)  Some have said that Governor Moonbeam's policies made George McGovern look like Barry Goldwater.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #204 on: June 30, 2004, 11:32:49 PM »

I wish on each and every Dear Reader an experience like the one I had tonight.  That is, to be in a gorgeous, ornate movie palace and become community with two thousand others whilst watching a cleverly written, superbly acted and wonderfully directed and photographed picture show from seventy years ago.  There were laughs galore, the funniest/best acted/most famous scenes were applauded and there was a big ovation at the movie's end.

They don't make 'em like that anymore.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: June 30, 2004, 11:51:24 PM »

I use a stand-alone burner and have never used the one in my computer.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #206 on: June 30, 2004, 11:59:20 PM »

Good Evening!  Part 3-

Some other interesting tidbits from tonight's concert -

-Due to some unknown stage setup, there was one violinist who was seated all by her lonesome at the back of the section right in front of the percussion.  And her row was also a little further back than the other rows in front of her.  She really looked a little strange - to me, at least - sitting there with no stand partner.  I wonder if one of the violinists got caught in traffic or got sick.  Or maybe it was just the way the seating and number of violinist worked out for the evening.

-In her intro to "Lush Life", Ms. Ronstadt mentioned that Billy Strayhorn is considered a sort of alter-ego to Duke Ellington since Billy Strayhorn wrote many of the tunes that Duke Ellington would be associated with, "Take The "A" Train" among them.  She mentioned that Mr. Strayhorn wanted to become a classical musician, but due to the cultural times and circumstances in which he grew up in, he was not able to attend a conservatory.  She then added that also do the time he grew up in, he was not able to express his true self - that he was gay.  And then she said that he wrote "Lush Life" - which I find a truly amazing song melodically, harmonically, lyrically and otherwise - was written when Mr. Strayhorn was only 14 years old.  *I may have misheard that last fact - I know he young when he wrote that song, but I had never heard he was that young when he wrote that song.

-When she introduced the three Jimmy Webb songs - "Adios," "I Keep It Hid," and "????" (sorry, my memory is failing me at this time of night) - she commented that Jimmy Webb is one of the modern songwriters that could rightly be put next to the Gershwins and Rodgers & Hart.

-She also sang the song that was most likely the first rock and roll song ever written.  It was the "lynch pin" between the blues and rock and roll.

OK - I think that's enough for now... -before I get frozen out of the "today"...

OH!  I also realized just how much I "grew up" with Linda Ronstadt's voice coming from my radio during the 70's.  -And also how most of her major hits were not up-tempos - it was quite a heavy ballad and medium-tempo song evening.  -No "Tumbling Dice" nor "You're No Good" tonight.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up