Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: FOLLIES  (Read 10614 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: FOLLIES
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2012, 09:47:10 AM »

Page three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2012, 09:50:06 AM »

In the movies, whenever a doctor is talking a patient into being a human guinea pig (to save their life), you never hear them say, "Oh, by the way, you have a 50 / 50 chance of getting a placebo.

I guess nobody would want to make a film about the person who got the placebo.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

John G.

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2012, 09:53:41 AM »

So, I didn't see any followup to the threat of hundreds of thousands of computers dying yesterday. Was it a hoax?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2012, 10:03:23 AM »

I enjoyed "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines."  Just don't make me sit thru a double feature where it is paired with "Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies."  I didn't like that one at all.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2012, 10:04:27 AM »

So, I didn't see any followup to the threat of hundreds of thousands of computers dying yesterday. Was it a hoax?

That is because they all got kicked off of the internet so they can't report to anyone that they are locked out.
“One thing’s universal,

ChasSmith

« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2012, 10:14:44 AM »

I enjoyed "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines."  Just don't make me sit thru a double feature where it is paired with "Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies."  I didn't like that one at all.

I can't remember if I even saw that one.  I just checked to see when it was released, and it wasn't till 1969, four years later.  I'd thought it wasn't long after "Magnificent Men".

Also "Magnificent Men" was released in June 1965 and "The Great Race" in July, and I'd been thinking of "The Great Race" as the film that kind of inspired the other one.  Crazy, man.

ChasSmith

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2012, 10:23:42 AM »

It apparently did inspire "Jalopies" four years later.  I see some comments to the effect that they might have used some footage from it, and Tony Curtis was in it.  But it was also directed by Ken Annakin and scored again by Ron Goodwin.  It must have been really imitative of both earlier films.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2012, 10:31:32 AM »

It apparently did inspire "Jalopies" four years later.  I see some comments to the effect that they might have used some footage from it, and Tony Curtis was in it.  But it was also directed by Ken Annakin and scored again by Ron Goodwin.  It must have been really imitative of both earlier films.

I don't really remember what I didn't like about the movie.  I just remember being bored.  Maybe it was because it was so similar to the other two films.
“One thing’s universal,

FJL

« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2012, 10:51:48 AM »

Has this already been posted here?

This guy got coaxed out of a coma by music from MACK AND MABEL, and now has financed a new production of that show in London

I wonder what his favorite recording is - here's the story

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/music-from-mack-and-mabel-brought-london-man-out-of-coma-7924277.html
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:53:32 AM by FJL »

John G.

« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2012, 10:56:23 AM »

The healing power of Jerry Herman.
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2012, 10:57:33 AM »

This guy got coaxed out of a coma by music from MACK AND MABEL, and now has financed a new production of that show in London

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/music-from-mack-and-mabel-brought-london-man-out-of-coma-7924277.html

Thank God he didn't wake up to LOVE NEVER DIES!
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »

Why would that waken anyone?
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2012, 11:01:36 AM »

Why would that waken anyone?

LOL!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2012, 11:08:28 AM »

DR TCB - if one has never seen this play, first produced in 1950 -  I am hoping the spoiler is more of an enlightenment than anything else....

However if I ruined the ending for anyone - well....that's the way it goes.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2012, 11:15:45 AM »

I am slowly entering the computer age. On Thursday afternoon, time Warner is sending a technician with a new modem and DVR and my apartment will have Wi-Fi. I got my correct cable from Tekserve, and I have downloaded several recordings to my MacBook.

Now, the intern search begins.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2012, 11:36:39 AM »

They say not.  Trouble was, only a couple of hundred thousand people would have had a problem, if at all. 
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2012, 11:37:46 AM »

I don't really remember what I didn't like about the movie.  I just remember being bored.  Maybe it was because it was so similar to the other two films.

It's not as good as either of the two 1965 films.  BUT...it has a great title song that was sung by Jimmy Durante that assures it a memorable place in cinema history (if only for the song).  It also had wonderful titles by Ronald Searle who did the ones for TMMITFM!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:40:21 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2012, 11:40:11 AM »

I got soundtracks for DARING YOUNG MEN and JAUNTY JALOPIES several years apart.....and both for about fifty cents each.....new and sealed LP's......the title songs for both were most entertaining....and DARING YOUNG MEN had dialog intros into most of the songs which were very funny.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2012, 11:44:09 AM »

"Those Magnificent Men..." had dialogue bits in between music tracks.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2012, 11:56:25 AM »

LOL that's the one I meant.  Heat's got me.

Oh yes DR TCB....come October I will be rolling in $$$$.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2012, 11:59:28 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I could not fall asleep last night - too wired and too many things in Ye Olde Heade.  Four-thirty I think I finally nodded off, got up at nine-thirty and fell back asleep until fifteen minutes ago.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2012, 12:05:28 PM »

It's not as good as either of the two 1965 films.  BUT...it has a great title song that was sung by Jimmy Durante that assures it a memorable place in cinema history (if only for the song).  It also had wonderful titles by Ronald Searle who did the ones for TMMITFM!

Ronald Searle also did the drawings for the opening of Scrooge and the songbook, "Too Many Songs by Tom Lehrer with Not Enough Drawings by Ronald Searle.

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2012, 12:07:08 PM »

LOL that's the one I meant.  Heat's got me.

Oh yes DR TCB....come October I will be rolling in $$$$.

I don't recall if this is one of them, but this is definitely one of the funniest lines in the film:

Lord Rawnsley:  "The trouble with these international events is that they attract foreigners."

Doug R

« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2012, 12:20:23 PM »

Busying myself on the computer I completely forgot that I'd left a saucepan on the stove. Ignoring the strange smell I carried on working until I finally looked in the kitchen to find it had boiled dry. Annoyingly, I'd only bought the saucepan last week which is now ruined. 

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2012, 12:20:55 PM »

My sister has arrived safely from Michigan.  Please excuse me in advance for being E & T for much of the next 3 days while we play!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2012, 12:34:04 PM »

My sister has arrived safely from Michigan.  Please excuse me in advance for being E & T for much of the next 3 days while we play!
Have fun.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2012, 12:40:57 PM »

Potential great news: Capitol thinks they found One More Kiss. A single small one inch tape. Mislabeled as a soundtrack. If its the eight track we are home free. Won't know till later or tomorrow

John G.

« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2012, 12:41:45 PM »

Busying myself on the computer I completely forgot that I'd left a saucepan on the stove. Ignoring the strange smell I carried on working until I finally looked in the kitchen to find it had boiled dry. Annoyingly, I'd only bought the saucepan last week which is now ruined. 
I've done that before. Hate it when it happens. That's why I love my electric kettle. It turns itself off.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2012, 12:42:05 PM »

Potential great news: Capitol thinks they found One More Kiss. A single small one inch tape. Mislabeled as a soundtrack. If its the eight track we are home free. Won't know till later or tomorrow
Fingers crossed. Eyes crossed.
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2012, 12:46:20 PM »

Have fun DR GINNY.

Great news MR BK!!!

And now I am off to the theatre.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up