Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: AN EVENING WITH STEVE  (Read 8414 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
AN EVENING WITH STEVE
« on: July 14, 2012, 01:29:18 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes told you all you needed to know about an evening with Steve, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently seeing an evening with The Cowsills.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: AN EVENING WITH STEVE
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 01:30:25 AM »

And the word of the day is: BACCATE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 01:30:37 AM »

To which I can only say: CRANBERRIES!

ChasSmith

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 04:35:30 AM »

First post following BK, at 7:30 in the morning?  Well, I'm up early for a Saturday because I've got a long day ahead of me away from the house.  Back late tonight, at which time I'll ketchup.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 04:40:13 AM »

Good morning, all! No word from Dublin this morning, so I sent a polite email asking if there was any luck on locating the carton.We'll see what happens. Perhaps I will get a nice response before I go ballistic.

BK, I got Steve a Pulitzer Prize but he hasn't recognized me since 1991 or so! The last time I saw him, I think his priority was getting to the bar.

As for Ms Ebersole, from my experience with her at the Chicago Humanities Festival several years ago, it's all about her. She was neither a team player in Chicago nor pleasant to be around, although she was wonderful in the numbers she bothered to learn.

I am off to the McGlinnventry.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 01:07:26 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 04:40:33 AM »

Enjoyed reading about the Sondheim Evening with MR BK and JH.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 04:41:01 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 04:41:12 AM »

Last night's audience was not as enthusiastic but there were MORE people there.  Tonight's house is smaller - only about 2/3rds but hopefully they will be LOUD!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 04:41:37 AM »

Thanks to all for the continued vibes and wishes.

Today is a half day at work.....oh well.

ChasSmith

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 04:58:37 AM »

TOD:  I don't have a specific experience in mind that's worth relating, but I think there's just about nothing like having a lousy restaurant experience -- and feeling ripped off in the process. 

I think most of these times -- probably not all, but most of them -- have been something I could sense upon entering the jernt.  Sometimes I've been with someone for some special occasion or something, and have no say about the venue.  Those times, you're just stuck.  But other times, I'll sense it but go immediately into denial, telling myself I'm going to make the best of it, choose what I eat with great care, etc., etc., etc., but "best of it" just doesn't happen and the whole experience sucks, and you're left saying "that's one (hour, meal, expense, whatever) that I'll never get back."  I think restaurants are kind of unique in having the power to do this to you.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 05:18:28 AM »

Off to work.  Oh well.

ChasSmith

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 05:19:33 AM »

Is something wrong with the website this morning?  At moments it's unreachable, while all my others still are, and posting seems not to be working too well.  For instance, several minutes ago I posted (and saw it posted) something to the effect of "Very much enjoyed reading the tale of An Evening With Steve."  So here it is again.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 05:22:19 AM »

good morning, all.

And a round of vibes on me to those who need 'em.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 05:25:36 AM »

TOD: There are too many to mention. I think one of the worst was on my first night in San Antonio. I had moved here to be the newspaper's dining critic and my first meal in town was at a Tex-Mex place that served (and still serves) the most butt ugly food imaginable. I can still remember the refrieds tasted as if someone had dropped a bottle of liquid smoke in them and then microwaved them with metal inside. They were molten lava 10 minutes after I finished the rest of the meal, of which I did not eat a lot. Even the margarita was lousy.

I seriously thought I had made a mistake in moving here. And, as it turned out, my next five or six meals were also sub-par.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 05:25:56 AM »

Off for a day of adventure.  Going over to Phoenixville, PA, where THE BLOB was filmed, to see that and THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL in the Colonial Theatre.  This is their annual Blobfest, and my first time for it.  You DRs may expect a full report.

John G.

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 05:27:00 AM »

Interesting notes on your close personal friend, BK. Makes such statements all the more revealing. Did he say if he's working on something new (a "Sunday in the Park" reference)?
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 05:27:14 AM »

Now I'm thinking the problem might indeed be my own connection.  Anyway, adventure calls.  Back late tonight.

John G.

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 05:27:31 AM »

Pictures, please, ChasSmith.

Blobfest sounds fun.
― Voltaire

Danise

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 05:32:03 AM »

I had my morning post all done, hit post and was told I couldn't connect with the site so I lost it. :(

Here is what I can remember of said post:

Good morning all!

Glad that DR John G's mum had a great birthday.  I didn't think about it last night but it was also Harrison Ford's birthday as well.  Don't know why I know that but I hope he had a happy one as well.

Vibes to DR Elmore that the folks in Dublin wake up and tell him about the package.  Poop on them if they do not!

Hoping that DR Jrand has a full audience that shows their appreciation by being LOUD tonight!

Today won't be so great for me.  I have to leave in just a little bit to have a spiral KUB done.  I'm not sure what that is.  I've had KUB's done before but never heard one called spiral before.  Should be interesting.

This afternoon I will attend the memorial service for Thelma's friend, John. 

For what ever reason, both Sheena and Toby are in a "talking" mood this morning.  Sheena is normally my "talker" but Toby is joining in today.  I guess they want me to stay home with them and are letting me know.  I wish I could.

Have a wonder filled day with lots of vibes and happy happenings~

I hit copy just in case this doesn't make to post.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 05:34:14 AM »

I see it made it.  Hoo and Ray!!!!!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

ChasSmith

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 06:02:00 AM »

So it's not just my connection.  (I copied my last couple of posts, too, just in case.)  (Now to copy this one, because it is of particular brilliance and I don't think any of us would be happy if we lost it.)

And NOW I'm leaving.  I said I was leaving before, but this time I'm really REALLY leaving.  VIBES for a good day to all.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 06:40:08 AM »

Interesting notes on your close personal friend, BK. Makes such statements all the more revealing. Did he say if he's working on something new (a "Sunday in the Park" reference)?

I don't know how involved he is, but a director in California is doing something with his work and the poetry of Bukowski. I can hardly wait.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 06:41:48 AM »

Greetings from the McGlinnventory!

I spoke to Fed Ex; this information is not on their tracking site, but the girlfriend of Jonathan, one of our Dublin producer, picked up the package yesterday, and no one bothered to let me know. I sent an email about the situation and my unhappiness.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2012, 06:44:31 AM »

Now I have to cart the McGlinn materials going to the Library of Congress over to Toyland for shipping. I'm not trusting the mail room ladies here after their last two shipments to Dublin.

Ginny

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 06:57:36 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  I woke up about 7am and have just finished reading Mr. Churchill's Secretary by Susan Elia MacNeal.  It's my selection for my book group's London Roundabout and it took on even more relevance when the January trip to London & Norwich appeared on our radar screen.  I learned a lot of London geography while enjoying a good story that's the first in a series. 

After several days of playing, today I must grocery shop for our household.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2012, 07:11:19 AM »

I don't know how involved he is, but a director in California is doing something with his work and the poetry of Bukowski. I can hardly wait.

Yes, if you have New York Times access, here's the New York Times report on the Bukowski - Sondheim project

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/13/it-takes-two-artistic-director-explains-why-a-bukowski-sondheim-show-makes-sense/

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2012, 07:31:22 AM »

And the word of the day is: BACCATE!

And The Song Of The Day Is: STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2012, 07:41:59 AM »

I'm up, I'm up and have been up for an hour, which is really irritating.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2012, 07:42:58 AM »

Sondheim said he is working on something new and I think it's been reported already - he and playwright David Ives are musicalizing an Ives one-act Steve saw years ago, maybe from All in the Timing.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2012, 07:49:44 AM »

Enjoyed reading about the Sondheim Evening with MR BK and JH.

Me, too.

"Oh, hi Bruce!"

::)
You can dream…or you can do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up