Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WHOLLY DEPENDENT  (Read 13682 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WHOLLY DEPENDENT
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:16:27 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were wholly dependent on the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the wholly dependent cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: WHOLLY DEPENDENT
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 12:17:32 AM »

And the word of the day is: SKIRL!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 12:20:50 AM »

And now - our two new releases - they'll be live on the site at six, but if you want them before that you know what to do.

Kritzerland is pleased to present a new limited edition soundtrack CD – two great scores on one CD:

THE FLY

and

RETURN OF THE FLY

Music Composed by Paul Sawtell and Bert Shefter

“HELP MEEEEE”

The Fly began life as a short story by George Langelaan.  Twentieth Century-Fox snapped up the rights and hired James Clavell to write the script, his first screenplay assignment (Clavell would go on to write the screenplays for The Great Escape, 633 Squadron, The Satan Bug, To Sir, With Love, the latter which he also directed – he also become a very successful novelist, turning out such books as King Rat, Tai-Pan, Shogun, and Noble House, all of which became either films or mini-series).  Kurt Neumann was in the director chair.  He’d already done a couple of sci-fi films, Rocketship X-M and Kronos.  Of course, The Fly was both science fiction and horror.   

A top-drawer cast was assembled, including young Al Hedison (who would soon change his name to David), Vincent Price, Herbert Marshall, Patricia Owens, and the child actor, Charles Herbert.   It was given the Cinemascope and color treatment (shot by veteran cameraman Karl Struss).  And it was a smash hit with audiences everywhere, grossing $3,000,000 on a budget of $700,000, in at time when those figures actually meant something.

In those days, sequels were not all that common, but after the success of the first film, Fox decided to do another Fly picture, Return of the Fly, which was rushed into production and released a year later.
The scores to The Fly and Return of the Fly were written by the team of Paul Sawtell and Bert Shefter.  Beginning with just the kind of bombastic and memorable music you’d want for a movie called The Fly, Sawtell and Shefter immediately introduce the theme for the happy couple at the film’s center, and it establishes immediately the human element of the story, which is so important for any sci-fi or horror film.  From there it’s classic Sawtell and Shefter, with the scary music and the human music balancing out each other and creating a symphony of terror and things gone wrong, all in that unbelievably great Fox stereo sound.   It’s one of the great sci-fi/horror scores.   Return of the Fly is equally strong as a score and it’s not just a rehash of the first score, which is refreshing. 
The Fly and Return of the Fly were both previously released in a box set on Percepto Records (which also contained Curse of the Fly, composed by Shefter alone), which has been long out of print and hard to find.  For this reissue, we decided to just present the first two films, since they were made only a year apart and were both composed by Sawtell and Shefter.  We’ve done some cleanup work and remastered the sound, combined a couple of shorter cues and removed the “Fox Fanfare” since it obviously wasn’t composed by Sawtell and Shefter.  Both scores are complete – The Fly in glorious stereo, and the low budget Return of the Fly in glorious mono.   So, turn off the lights and bask in the eerie glow of two classic sci-fi/horror scores by the great team of Paul Sawtell and Bert Shefter. 

The Fly/Return of the Fly is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98, plus shipping.

CD will ship the last week of August  – however, never fear, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

and

WALLANDER
Music from the original Swedish TV series
Music Composed and Conducted by Adam Norden

Believe it or not, it didn’t all start with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.  No, Nordic crime novels, movies, and TV shows had been around long before.  One of the most successful of the Nordic crime authors was Henning Mankell with his series of Wallander books – they were beautifully written and seemed like naturals for movies and TV and so we first got a series of Kurt Wallander movies based on the books that had been written to that point in the 1990s – those starred the wonderful actor Rolf Lassgard.  Then the decision came that Wallander would start up again, this time as a TV series (with occasional movie releases), called, simply enough, Wallander.  That was great news for Wallander fans.  This time we got a new Wallander, Krister Henriksson.  As good as Lassgard had been, Henriksson was even better, perfectly embodying the character.  The first series consisted of thirteen ninety-minute films and was shot in 2005/2006.

The composer of all series one’s thirteen films was Adam Norden.  A prolific composer, he really captured the essence of the films and the characters with his evocative and perfect music. His music is a key element in making those films unique.  The scoring usually consists of recurring themes for Kurt and Linda, and the approach to orchestration is usually spare and filled with interesting textures and melodic invention, somehow capturing perfectly the loneliness, the cold, the sordidness of some of the crimes, the despair.   Most of the music is contemplative in nature, but there’s some wonderful action music, too, especially in the “Mastermind” film. 

While some of the music has been available as downloads only and only outside the United States it has never had a proper CD release.  The show now has so many fans, thanks to its being aired in the UK and elsewhere (and now on DVD) that doing a CD release seemed like a no-brainer.  The selections as presented here were personally chosen and assembled by Norden (who also contributes to the liner notes) and are from his masters, which he owns.

If you’re a fan of the Wallander films, especially of that brilliant first series, then this will be a lovely souvenir of the music that made that series so memorable.  If you haven’t seen the series, the music stands perfectly well on its own and is a wonderful listening experience. 

Wallander is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98, plus shipping.

CD will ship the last week of August  – however, never fear, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 12:36:30 AM »

CDs ordered!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 01:11:44 AM »

I posted this yesterday, but wanted to make sure that those who needed to, saw it:

And speaking of sending things...I realized (and finally accepted) that I have lost my list of various movies that I was going to send to people, so if you wanted the Tony Awards, 1776, the 1929 Show Boat or the 1951 Show Boat, PLEASE let me know again and I'll MAKE SURE that I don't lose my list. :-\

AND if anyone else want these even if you didn't indicate that before, I'll be happy to send them to you, too.

Apologies for the brain fart. ::)

So, let me know...actually, I do know these:

1776 (laserdisc version):  Ben, Larry and Vixmom

What else??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 01:13:43 AM »

And on that note (b-natural), I'm off to bed. 8)

Good night 47 guests.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 02:29:13 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 02:30:23 AM »

George, I don't need My Fair Lady, just the 1776 Laserdisc DVD.

Possible My Fair Ladys were Kevin H. and Larry and maybe one or two others.

Danise

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 03:18:29 AM »

Morning all.  Just finished walking 2 miles. 

Not much new to say since last night.   

Glad all is alright with you and your friend, BK.  It's never nice to have bad feelings between friends.

I won't give it away but "Falling Skies" was good.  I just wish there wasn't so many commercials though it.  It's almost worth the wait to the next night after it's recorded to be able to fast forward though them.  If I could just wait to see what is going to happen but I really like the show and can't wait.  :)

Vibes, happy thoughts and wishing all a wonder filled day!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 03:19:53 AM »

One last thing, I just want to thank DR George again for doing the DVD's of the ACS for me.  I really do appreciate it. 
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 04:09:18 AM »

Good morning, all! I had my usual trouble getting to sleep, but once I did, I slept quite well.

I finished watching the Brit sitcom MIRANDA yesterday: 2 seasons, total of 12 episodes, and I didn't want it to end. It's one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time, full of slapstick and rude humor, reminding me a lot of ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS. A nice surprise wasTom Conti showing up as her dad in the last episode. Most of my day was spent putzing about the apartment on various projects.

On Saturday, a friend sent me a download of the complete 1994 performance of VERY WARM FOR MAY at Carnegie Recital Hall. I had attended the dress rehearsal for John McGlinn to keep an eye on orchestra balances, and I had on iTunes a download of all the musical numbers, but I hadn't heard the whole performance since 1994 until yesterday. It was so much fun to hear it: Greg Jbara's final "All The Things You Are" still makes me laugh at his rendition and weep at the beauty of the moment.

So, I will shortly head downtown to the McGlinnventory to pick up more of the things gping to the Library of Congress and tote them up to Toyland for shipment. I must be back here by 1, since it's a repeat of last Thursday's debacle with Time Warner. On a positive note, boding very much good for the day, the package in Dublin held by customs was released and delivered about an hour ago.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 04:09:58 AM »

DR George, I would love a MY FAIR LADY!  Thank you for the offer.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 04:34:42 AM »

DR George, I would love a MY FAIR LADY!  Thank you for the offer.

And so would I, if it's no trouble.  It would be great to give it a proper listen.  Thank you!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 04:35:34 AM »

Good morning, all.

Vibes and xylophones for One More Kiss.

Vibes for those in need.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 04:36:27 AM »

George, add me to the My Fair Lady list and to the two Show Boats list.

BTW, I finally made it to a post office Saturday, so you have something come in snail way your way.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 05:43:57 AM »

Banking & Shopping - I shall purchase the CD's on my return!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 05:49:43 AM »

Had just a moment, so I ordered the CD's.  Of course.....PayPal has a NEW format and it took me longer than it usually does....so I am now a few minutes late.

Thanks, Paypal.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ChasSmith

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 06:03:30 AM »

I will sit down with my DVD recorder soon, and hopefully arrive at some agreement with it so that y'all can also enjoy the 1936 SHOW BOAT.

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 06:06:47 AM »

re: keeping an umbrella in the trunk DR Jane wrote:
You need a small umbrella that fits in your glove compartment

Usually i keep one in the back seat.

A little umbrella would not have helped. The big one did not help. IT was pouring very hard.

Ginny

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 06:19:48 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  I have 2 meetings this morning - one for AAUW and the other for the senior center.  Sheesh, I thought I retired...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 06:20:30 AM »

And The Song Of The Day Is:  ALEXANDER'S BAGPIPE BAND
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 06:54:59 AM by ArnoldMBrockman »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 06:22:27 AM »

Greetings from Toyland! I accomplished the remainder of the McGlinnventory for LoC move so it's all here at Toyland. I need to go to a Fed Ex and get two good-sizewd cartons to ship, and schedule a pickup date.

The super of this building is driving me mad. I need to learn what are the moving rtimes for the freight elevator andget the information to Geri and Curtis to set up the moves. I am stuck waiting for the jerk.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 06:27:39 AM »

I think I've announced everywhere there is to announce.

John G.

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 06:35:57 AM »

Anfd The Song Of The Day Is:  ALEXANDER'S BAGPIPE BAND
I love that song. My favorite next to Alexander's Sackbut Band.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 06:52:08 AM »

TOD

Musical:  WEST SIDE STORY
Play:  WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?

Kerry

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 06:53:57 AM »

It certainly feels like a Monday.  So it must be Monday.
I like boat races.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2012, 06:57:22 AM »

Good morning.

That's all.

All caught up here from the weekend.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2012, 06:57:49 AM »

I've been sending large files using DropBox and have great success.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2012, 07:24:07 AM »

TOD

Play- THE GLASS MENAGERIE with Laurette Taylor

Musical- GYPSY

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2012, 07:34:29 AM »

I have spoken to the super, alerted everyone on the particulars of the move, been to Fed Ex and purchased shipping cartons, and scheduled tomorrow's pickup. I will pack these cartons and prepare them for tomorrow's pickup.

then, i'm going home and dealing with Time Warner. How lucky am I?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up